Hey, we're hiring and stuff!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@csl316 said:

It was Lang all along. It's always Lang.

Oh! Collusion!

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy lord what has this thread turned into? Jeff hired the best people for the job. They just happen to be white dudes. It is not a big deal. If it were a woman or someone not white who were most qualified for the job, I'm sure they would have gotten it. People who make a big deal about these things are half of the damn problem.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

So, Jeff just threw y'all a bone and uploaded a mega-super-duper early podcast.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

The ebb and flow of this thread is such that I'm surprised it hasn't collapsed in on itself and been locked by now.

slindz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

https://twitter.com/DanRyckert/status/483780659148627968

ITS HAPPENING. AND A BOMBCAST. LET'S CLOSE THIS FILTHY THREAD DOWN.

Ronald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Podcast is up. Guess who is on it.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The madness is over. Welcome to the site Dan and Jason.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peace in our time!

Avatar image for extragingerbrew
extragingerbrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Tears of joy. Phew this madness is over. Shut this thread down.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a wrap. Pack it up. Shut it down. Smoke em if you got em.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

NEW BLOOD NEW BLOOD FIRST BLOOD NEW BLOOD

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So... now that we know...

What does everyone hate about the new guys? http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/9/92448/2605824-2572336-1121187965-25033.png

/jk

Karthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

At long last, our national nightmare is over!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@marc said:

Holy lord what has this thread turned into? Jeff hired the best people for the job. They just happen to be white dudes. It is not a big deal. If it were a woman or someone not white who were most qualified for the job, I'm sure they would have gotten it. People who make a big deal about these things are half of the damn problem.

Evidently you're not allowed to hire the best people for the job if those people are white males. That's insensitive and does not support diversity!

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@mb said:

@marc said:

Evidently you're not allowed to hire the best people for the job if those people are white males. That's insensitive and does not support diversity!

Funny how the best people for the job always seems to be white dudes.

DannyHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: You sound kinda like a jerk for a mod.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a fun thread guys. Got kinda rough near the end, what with all the arguing, but until then it was super fun going into tinfoil hat/detective mode with you all. Congrats to Dan and Jason. Couldn't be more stoked. The new era of Giant Bomb is here.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1669  Edited By mike

You should probably carefully read the forum rules before you continue down that path...ill-advised, duder.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This was a fun thread guys. Got kinda rough near the end, what with all the arguing, but until then it was super fun going into tinfoil hat/detective mode with you all. Congrats to Dan and Jason. Couldn't be more stoked. The new era of Giant Bomb is here.

I think they're still arguing.

Anyways, good luck to Dan and Jason. Kick some ass.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

@marc said:

Was that really necessary? Come on, man. There's no reason to mock us.

I'm excited about the new hires, but I do think diversifying things would have been cool to see. Still, I imagine the new guys will at least bring different game preferences and interests. I hope that will help freshen things up a bit and make things even better.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1672  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I figured if anyone was safe from the endless bleeting of the PC Brigade it'd be Dan Ryckert. I mean, in spite of the fact that he's white, a man, and (presumably) straight, I was positive that these assholes would see that he's a funny guy, that he fits in around here like Michael Jackson's hand down a toddler's pants, and that, really, he's a great choice for the kind of shenanigans that Giant Bomb gets up to.

I'm glad that I've been proven wrong! Thank you PC Brigade for showing me that no matter how funny, charming, or talented you are, if you're white, straight, and a man, you should not get a job. Even if, for all parties involved, it sounds like a really good idea.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems so.. dehumanizing to just talk about people in cold demographic terms. Dan Ryckert is not "white dude." He's Dan Ryckert. With a list of credentials, history, and experiences exclusive to Dan Ryckert. Hired, not because he's "white dude," but because he's Dan Ryckert.

We can all argue whether or not we like him later on (I'm excited about him being on board, personally!) but he absolutely is well qualified and due to his past friendship with the crew, fits perfectly with the vision of what kind of content the site wanted to create from the very beginning.

slindz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: You're making a fuss about nothing. They hired the best people for the job, there is nothing more to it. Just let them do their jobs/hiring.

zzzellyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1675  Edited By zzzellyn

@mb said:

@marc said:

That's a pretty dumb misrepresentation of what people are unhappy about. No one is saying Dan and Jason aren't qualified and that they won't work well on the site. From what I've seen (heard, technically) of Dan on the Powerbombcast he seems like a cool guy, but you're treating 'diversity' and 'qualifications' as though they're two ends of the same axis which is supremely fucked up.

e: To be extra blatantly clear, no one is saying that Jeff is some racist, sexist monster for doing this. He's a great guy and I'm sure he made his choices based on who he thought would work best. I haven't even seen anyone angry about this, just kinda sad because this is the same sort of thing that happens all the time.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

@dannyhibiki said:

You should probably carefully read the forum rules before you continue down that path...ill-advised, duder.

I can understand you not appreciating how he objected to your comment, but you have to admit your mockery of those interested in diversity is on a similarly ill-advised path. Mod or not, we are all beholden to the rules of conduct.

Let's just be cool to one another, sit down for some boneless chicken wings, and bask in the bright glow of these new hires.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d9b5324c01f
deactivated-63d9b5324c01f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai said:

It seems so.. dehumanizing to just talk about people in cold demographic terms. Dan Ryckert is not "white dude." He's Dan Ryckert. With a list of credentials, history, and experiences exclusive to Dan Ryckert. Hired, not because he's "white dude," but because he's Dan Ryckert.

We can all argue whether or not we like him later on (I'm excited about him being on board, personally!) but he absolutely is well qualified and due to his past friendship with the crew, fits perfectly with the vision of what kind of content the site wanted to create from the very beginning.

This guy gets it.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1678  Edited By Sessh

Just stop with the diversity argumentation already. Both sides have some valid points, but obviously neither of them wants to give way, so it's completely pointless and thus pretty much just a bad way to welcome Dan and Jason.

What's done is done anyway.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@slindz said:

The fact of the matter is there is barely any black, women or gay people in the gaming journalist occupation. GB are not going to hire someone to diversify, they are going to hire who is best for the job. This is a small company and these new hires are important to the companies future and livelihood. Just let them make the decision.

Seriously. As someone who is not white, I always want to see more diversity. But I think Dan is absolutely perfect for this position and that is more important to me than the diversity issue. And seriously, there is not much diversity in game journalism, period. Suddenly targeting GB for this is not fair. Kotaku has just one dude of ethnicity (evan), as does polygon (Samit) . IGN as far as I know has no dudes of ethnicity ( I may be wrong) .

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

@dannyhibiki said:

What Do I Need To Know Before Using The Site?

The primary rule here is don't be a jerk. Everyone is expected to treat one another with respect as well as to respect the site, its features, and the various members of staff and moderators who help run it.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

@marokai said:

I agree with you, but still think this a conversation worth having. Perhaps with more tactful, less personal/reductive language, but still worth having nonetheless.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1682  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Excited for the future of GB, but the handiling of this whole thing is a little weird now. It's obvious Dan was always the hire, which makes this entire topic pointless. No one applying ever had a shot, it was a ruse.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@slindz said:

The fact of the matter is there is barely any black, women or gay people in the gaming journalist occupation. GB are not going to hire someone to diversify, they are going to hire who is best for the job. This is a small company and these new hires are important to the companies future and livelihood. Just let them make the decision.

Seriously. As someone who is not white, I always want to see more diversity. But I think Dan is absolutely perfect for this position and that is more important to me than the diversity issue. And seriously, there is not much diversity in game journalism, period. Suddenly targeting GB for this is not fair. Kotaku has just one dude of ethnicity (evan), as does polygon (Samit) . IGN as far as I know has no dudes of ethnicity ( I may be wrong) .

Brian Crescente is white? :P

I mean, that guy is scum anyway and I avoid his writing like the plague, but seriously.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sessh said:

Just stop with the stupid diversity argumentation already. Both sides have some valid points, but obviously neither of them wants to give way, so it's completely pointless and thus pretty much just a bad way to welcome Dan and Jason. What's done is done anyway.

Hah. What "sides?" Everyone here agrees with each other. That's the funniest part.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Finally, the truth is out. Bet Jeff had some fun watching us speculate.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1686  Edited By TruthTellah

@slindz said:

@truthtellah: You're making a fuss about nothing. They hired the best people for the job, there is nothing more to it. Just let them do their jobs/hiring.

I don't really see me or anyone else making much of a "fuss" about anything. Some people have said they wish the choice added a bit more diversity to the staff. Well, that's their opinion they're entitled to. We like different folks, and that's why we're all excited that there are new people on staff. They bring their own perspectives and energy to the site. Race or gender are just factors within that added diversity.

I'd have enjoyed seeing a more apparent shift in diversity, but hey, it was their choice. Dan and Jason do still bring their own unique differences to the site. If Jeff and the guys say they are the best people for it, I'm cool with seeing how they do. I hope they add their own spin to the Giant Bomb mix. :)

DannyHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: I'm actually a lady. Which I guess is why all of this...yeah....not fun.

Clarity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1688  Edited By Clarity

@mb said:

@dannyhibiki said:

Sweet veiled threats, especially after breaking the forum rules yourself - "Everyone is expected to treat one another with respect as well as to respect the site, its features, and the various members of staff and moderators who help run it." It's messed up to put down people asking questions of "diversity".

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

You guys do realize that "diversity" doesn't have to be race, gender, or sexuality, right? It could also be "somebody who doesn't dismiss JRPGs, anime, and a lot of stuff that comes out of Japan outright."

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itwongo said:

@mb said:

@dannyhibiki said:

What Do I Need To Know Before Using The Site?

The primary rule here is don't be a jerk. Everyone is expected to treat one another with respect as well as to respect the site, its features, and the various members of staff and moderators who help run it.

I don't think making sarcastic remarks about sensitive race issues and then publicly making vague threats to the people who call you out on it is great/friendly behavior.

Anyway, I squealed like a little girl when Dan spoke on the bombcast. The trolling made it so much better.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Excited for the future of GB, but the handiling of this whole thing is a little weird now. It's obvious Dan was always the hire, which makes this entire topic pointless. No one applying ever had a shot, it was a ruse.

I hope you don't mean to imply that this was anything other than a policy thing most likely mandated by CBSi?

This is how corporations work. They find who they want to hire, make a show of having an "open position" and then quietly slot their scalp into place. It's just business, man, there's no need for salt.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

The ebb and flow of this thread is such that I'm surprised it hasn't collapsed in on itself and been locked by now.

It would have been but we don't like to close staff-created threads unless completely necessary.

Karthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@dallas_raines said:

I hope you don't mean to imply that this was anything other than a policy thing most likely mandated by CBSi?

This is how corporations work. They find who they want to hire, make a show of having an "open position" and then quietly slot their scalp into place. It's just business, man, there's no need for salt.

It's also entirely possible that Dan wasn't looking until the position was posted- unless Jeff comes right out and says "Ha ha, it was Dan all along you suckers!" we'll never know and anything here is pure conjecture.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1694  Edited By TruthTellah

@truthtellah: I'm actually a lady. Which I guess is why all of this...yeah....not fun.

Sorry about that. I seemed to remember that you were, but I fell back into the general "he" out of expedience. I'll try to remember better next time.

Though, as you said, that kind of "male as default" is itself part of the issue. I would have liked to see a woman added to the staff, but, well, I'm willing to give these guys a shot and see why they're considered the best for the positions. After Patrick's discussion of diversity in the E3 streams this year and bringing up the "rolodex" phenomena of passive discrimination, I hope he'll perhaps talk a bit about these choices, as well.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: Yeah, Dan probably ain't gonna be talking up JRPGs, but at least we finally have someone on the main SF podcast who doesn't constantly shit on modern television.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If someone were to start a new topic welcoming the new guys to the fold, maybe we could put all this behind us and finally move forward. I just hope the welcome topic isn't turned into some kind of platform to argue about Giant Bomb's hiring decisions or toss out a bunch of backhanded insults against the new guys. Anyone new is going to have a big enough uphill battle as it is just getting acclimated to everything.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1697  Edited By TruthTellah
@video_game_king said:

You guys do realize that "diversity" doesn't have to be race, gender, or sexuality, right? It could also be "somebody who doesn't dismiss JRPGs, anime, and a lot of stuff that comes out of Japan outright."

I've actually brought that up a few times! :D

It's what people often get excited about when they see new people. The point being, they bring their own -different- contribution to the mix. Taste is a difference along with race and gender. That sentiment is reflected within desires for greater diversity to a site we enjoy.

And that's why I joked with @hailinel a bit how great it would be if they hired a woman who enjoyed JRPGs and anime. ha. How wild would that be? Really mix things up a bit.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does this mean GameInformer is doomed? That would blow.

DopeToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So happy to finally have the new hires in the office. I miss Vinny so much, so fucking much, but he's not really gone, and the new guys will rock it. So here's to a new chapter for my favorite website. Huzzah!

ramprat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys are actually of a visible minority? As someone who is, all this talk is getting really stupid. This is a gaming personality site and not the UN. I'm sure we all came here for their editorial chop, videos and not whether a person is X or Y. I would rather have them hire someone who they are comfortable with and not because they need to fill a quota.