Hey, we're hiring and stuff!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1601  Edited By smcn

Jason Oestreicher's twitter bio: "Video guy for __________"

That's ten underscores.

Giant Bomb is ten characters.

Also:

No Caption Provided

utternyms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1602  Edited By utternyms

@ronald said:

@truthtellah said:

Guys, I think Jeff is doing all of this because we named Yoshi "Gerstman" during SGDQ this week...

Or, according to Patrick, we named Jeff "Yoshi."

I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one annoyed by that.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

We're all going to listen to the Bombcast tomorrow expecting the announcement and it'll just be three solid hours of Jeff making fart noises into the microphone.

EsDeib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

@hailinel said:

We're all going to listen to the Bombcast tomorrow expecting the announcement and it'll just be three solid hours of Jeff making fart noises into the microphone.

only when you play it backwards does it say who the new hire is

Ronald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@hailinel said:

Jeff is going to announce that Brad left for IGN.

darkest4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1607  Edited By darkest4

I was hoping they would just post a new I Love Mondays video with the new hires in it, with no acknowledgement that they're new or that there's anything odd about them being there or that there hasn't been an I Love Monday video in forever, just treating it like it's business as usual. Would be perfect, I miss that video feature and with the office finally filling back up it'd be the perfect time to bring it back.

Torbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THIS WEBSITE IS RUN BY LIZARDS IN DISGUISE

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

If Stryckert shows up on IGN and Giant Bomb in the same day, Ravishing Rick Rude has met his match!!!

Loading Video...

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THIS WEBSITE IS RUN BY LIZARDS IN DISGUISE

that was my least favorite version of transformers

utternyms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@esdeib: Oddest part is he made the mistake twice. Second time on today's Morning show, and previously somewhere that I don't recall. Friday's Morning show?

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1612  Edited By Sessh

@animasta: In this case it's gonna be the devil, right? He would certainly bring in a new perspective.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Still hoping for a plot twist where we find out Dan is working for Gamespot and Max Caravella is hired as the new GB intern.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ronald said:

@truthtellah said:

Guys, I think Jeff is doing all of this because we named Yoshi "Gerstman" during SGDQ this week...

Wait, what were you annoyed by? heh.

People raising over $6300 for charity to poke fun at Jeff's exaggerated hate of Yoshi?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@hailinel said:

So business as usual?

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@freddiefiasco said:

@ronald said:

@truthtellah said:

People raising over $6300 for charity to poke fun at Jeff's exaggerated hate of Yoshi?

No dude, it was the fact that on the latest Bombin' The AM Patrick repeatedly said that people raised money "to have Jeff named after Yoshi."

Dew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

@freddiefiasco said:

@ronald said:

@truthtellah said:

No dude, it was the fact that on the latest Bombin' The AM Patrick repeatedly said that people raised money "to have Jeff named after Yoshi."

You get annoyed by people making simple mistakes when speaking? I'm sorry.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedew said:

@president_barackbar said:
@truthtellah said:

@freddiefiasco said:

@ronald said:

@truthtellah said:

Hey, I didn't even say that I got annoyed, I was merely stating what people were referencing. Don't drag me into this too.

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedew: "Repeatedly" is probably the key part.

Fawkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1620  Edited By Fawkes

@freddiefiasco said:

@ronald said:

@truthtellah said:

They are referring to this tweet, I think. Patrick should've said "Yoshi's being named after him". I guess that's annoying.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1621  Edited By TruthTellah

@thedew said:

@truthtellah said:

@freddiefiasco said:

@ronald said:

@truthtellah said:

Hey, I didn't even say that I got annoyed, I was merely stating what people were referencing. Don't drag me into this too.

You're dragged into this now, buddy! This is serious business! This is life and death!

Say 'Yoshi' again. Say 'Yoshi' again, I dare you. I double dare you motherf*cker!
Say 'Yoshi' again. Say 'Yoshi' again, I dare you. I double dare you motherf*cker!

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkest4 said:

I was hoping they would just post a new I Love Mondays video with the new hires in it, with no acknowledgement that they're new or that there's anything odd about them being there or that there hasn't been an I Love Monday video in forever, just treating it like it's business as usual. Would be perfect, I miss that video feature and with the office finally filling back up it'd be the perfect time to bring it back.

This would be the best thing ever. But sadly I think I Love Mondays is dead forever; especially now that there are 3 "offices" that need to talk to each other.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Oh nice, now I am seeing people upset that Giant Bomb is apparently not hiring any black, LGBT, or female people. Because you know, the new hires aren't even announced yet so lets call out Giant Bomb because they don't hit the checkboxes or something. :|

utternyms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedew: Like smcn said, it was the repetition part that "annoyed" me, but I won't deny I have my own Patrick problems. Of all the GB crew, he has the power to annoy me with very simple things. It's a weakness on my part, for sure.

ninnyjams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread makes me wet

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@sammo21 said:

Oh nice, now I am seeing people upset that Giant Bomb is apparently not hiring any black, LGBT, or female people. Because you know, the new hires aren't even announced yet so lets call out Giant Bomb because they don't hit the checkboxes or something. :|

Dan Rykert should get a sex change to appease these people.

He should then go beat Paige for the WWE Diva's Championship.

After that he dates future WWE World Heavyweight Championship Bo Dallas.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1627  Edited By development

@sammo21 said:

It's a good thing Jeff runs the site and has control over hirings (for the most part, at least). He cares more about having a good site and staying in business than appeasing misguided college faux-activists.

bboymaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman said:

SHUT UP! QUIET YOU.

Not without Vinny.

NOT WITHOUT VINNY.

Giant Bomb Endurance Run.

Vinny Caravella on the sticks.

Alex Navarro backing him up.

Me in the control room.

Ryū ga Gotoku 5

Get this man to 42nd Street!

Also I love the idea of Vinny just barely understanding the Japanese.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

@development: I am all for diversity, but most people who complain about it in cases like this simply want it to feel good. They want people like Jeff to ignore whoever the best applicant was, or the best person he had in mind, and to simply hit a checkbox on whatever demographic, sexual orientation, etc that they are wanting to see. I don't really get that.

utternyms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So do we find out about all of this tomorrow?

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was all a ruse! Yoshi is the new hire.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe none of you Sanny Franny duders have been staking out the Giant Bomb office building all day to see who comes in and out.

You let me down.

kentobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@sammo21: I think this argument has been had 5 times already in this thread, but it's not about a checkbox. Patrick's Tumblr.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love about all this complaining about people complaining that giant bomb is not hiring any women or black people.

you know, all that complaining about no black people or women that's been going on for the past 3 pages

go back to being faux paranoid about tweets jesuss

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I fully expect Dan's Quick Look debut to be Sniper Elite III, in which someone repeatedly gets shot in the balls. Only fitting for a man also known as Buttz.

ninnyjams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kentobi said:

@sammo21: I think this argument has been had 5 times already in this thread, but it's not about a checkbox. Patrick's Tumblr.

In the sense of these kinds of high-profile hires of people who will have a huge, profound effect on the website ... you want to hire the people you trust, the people with experience. You don't hire for diversity when you're bringing in potentially 1/6 of your content creation.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#1637  Edited By conmulligan

@sammo21 said:

@development: I am all for diversity, but most people who complain about it in cases like this simply want it to feel good. They want people like Jeff to ignore whoever the best applicant was, or the best person he had in mind, and to simply hit a checkbox on whatever demographic, sexual orientation, etc that they are wanting to see. I don't really get that.

Your claim that people only bring up the lack of diversity among the staff to makes themselves feel better is utterly baseless, and a really cheap way to ignore the issue. If you're going to argue for the status quo, at least do so in good faith.

RawknRo11a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

@sammo21 said:

Your claim that people only bring up the lack of diversity among the staff to makes themselves feel better is utterly baseless, and a really cheap way to avoid the issue. If you're going to argue for the status quo, at least do so in good faith.

I think the point he was trying to make is that alot of these people start this stuff so they can be like "I'm making a difference!" or "I'm fighting for change" or whatever. The simple fact is, Jeff will hire the people he feels are the best fit. If those people happened to be a woman or an african american those are the ones he would have hired.

In this case Dan Ryckert is the best hire. (Although, I was kinda hoping they'd get Jeff Green)

Achaemenid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1639  Edited By Achaemenid

You guys seem locking into thinking that a woman or minority or whatever would only ever be hired for the sake of diversity, and there is no way they could ever be qualified or a good fit or whatever. It's not a binary choice between "be more diverse" or "hire qualified people who mesh well with the crew" It's possible to do both at the same time. Anyways, all this arguing is dumb because It's basically already confirmed who the hire is. All welcome our new Ryckert Overlords.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Ronald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope on the podcast Jeff introduces Brad and Drew, and then introduces his "Special guests, IGN's..."

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21 said:

Not cool, duder. Plenty of us think it would be nice if there was more diversity on the staff and during events with Giant Bomb, and that's not to check off any box. We genuinely believe it would be even better for this site we care about, and there are certainly qualified and interesting people who are women, black, gay, etc.

As Patrick explained regarding E3 booking, this is something worth consideration, and I'm glad he is not reflexively denying that there might be any issue. Our willingness to acknowledge deficiencies opens the door for greater improvement in the future.

ninnyjams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21 said:

Your claim that people only bring up the lack of diversity among the staff to makes themselves feel better is utterly baseless, and a really cheap way to ignore the issue. If you're going to argue for the status quo, at least do so in good faith.

And arguing a point that is important, but applying it to somewhere you know it doesn't belong is doing nothing but cheapening the cause. You know this decision was made based on merit, for a small site like Giantbomb every decision counts. Need to pick your battles and not shit on people you know aren't prejudiced. This isn't status quo, this is hiring the people right for the job.

Ah well. This is a stupid discussion (in this context). If you want to make a difference, try and do it right, is all I'm saying. And now I'm going to back away from this once again!

supertuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1644  Edited By supertuna

Oh, come on, Jeff never mentioned Jason before, why would he start now?

Welcome, Jason! Far Cry 3 Endurance Run, here we go.

Edit: Where are my manners? Welcome, Dan! I hope you brought all your dumbness with you.

brandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1645  Edited By brandino

Yes, diversity is great but nobody has said A word since the conception of Giant Bomb but now that the 2 new hires are "allegedly" white everyone is outraged? Did anyone stop to think that maybe nobody sent in applications who were good fit who weren't white or a woman? Did anyone stop to think that when Jeff was hiring he had a couple of people in mind and those people just happened to be white?

And before someone reads this the wrong way i am in no way shape or form saying that black men/women, hispanic men/women or asian men/women or homosexuals wouldn't fit in at GB i am just saying this is a ridiculous argument that should of never made it past A page. Not everything that happens in this world has some agenda against people of color or homosexuals or women.

Jesus christ i feel like i have stumbled into some white knight fedora m'lady thread.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of these attitudes make me cringe to think of what people might say if they actually -did- hire a non-white male from inside the industry. How many folks would be grousing that they are just "checking a box" or that their gender or race somehow indicates that they can't be equally as qualified for the position as a white man?

I think they can pick whoever they like, but some of the arguments expressed here against those hoping the new hire might mix things up a bit or diversify the staff are really disappointing to see. Most of us genuinely think that Giant Bomb could gain from a more diverse staff, not only in gender or race, but also in personal taste in videogames.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#1647  Edited By winsord

@brandino said:

Yes, diversity is great but nobody has said A word since the conception of Giant Bomb but now that the 2 new hires are "allegedly" white everyone is outraged? Did anyone stop to think that maybe nobody sent in applications who were good fit who weren't white or a woman? Did anyone stop to think that when Jeff was hiring he had a couple of people in mind and those people just happened to be white?

And before someone reads this the wrong way i am in no way shape or form saying that black men/women, hispanic men/women or asian men/women or homosexuals wouldn't fit in at GB i am just saying this is a ridiculous argument that should of never made it past A page. Not everything that happens in this world has some agenda against people of color or homosexuals or women.

Jesus christ i feel like i have stumbled into some white knight fedora m'lady thread.

There are very few people saying that here, and this thread has mostly been overrun by dolts sharing opinions the same as yours. This thread was fun earlier today but it's gone downhill so quickly.

slindz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact of the matter is there is barely any black, women or gay people in the gaming journalist occupation. GB are not going to hire someone to diversify, they are going to hire who is best for the job. This is a small company and these new hires are important to the companies future and livelihood. Just let them make the decision.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@truthtellah: Yep. It's exasperating when someone assumes that being proactive about diversity automatically leads to someone being hired to fill a quota. That's not how it works.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was Lang all along. It's always Lang.