How many console games do you buy new each year?

• 66 results
sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#1  Edited By sarahsdad

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

PC only.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sarahsdad

I know the number can change from year to year based on finances, or what games are coming out, but I'm curious what the average is.

And since I can't edit the original title, 'new' in this case means a New, full price, retail copy. Not just 'new to me'

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sarahsdad

@TheDudeOfGaming: Yeah, I considered having a "PC only, Bro" option, but figured the None would work just as well.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By doobie

im pretty much PC only now since i build a gaming PC and i only have a PS3 since my last 360 died, the last PS3 game i bought was Dark Souls.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Contrarian

Console and retail - about 100 per year - DS/3DS/Wii/PSP/Xbox 360/PS3

Mistzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Mistzero

@Contrarian: My God that is a lot.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By billyhoush

I usually buy 4-6. 2 AAA in Oct/Nov for the holiday break. 2 in the new year and then whatever older discounted titles I missed in between.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Contrarian

@Mistzero said:

Yes. Yes it is. I have consistently bought about 130 games a year over the last 5 years and at leat 80% of those are new. It didn't seem that long ago my bookcase cracked a thousand games and now it easily exceeds 1200.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Tennmuerti

3-4? something like that, depends if there is anything i'm interested in coming out but is not coming to PC

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By nintendoeats

Probably 1.

jakkblades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakkblades

@Contrarian said:

@Mistzero said:

Yes. Yes it is. I have consistently bought about 130 games a year over the last 5 years and at leat 80% of those are new. It didn't seem that long ago my bookcase cracked a thousand games and now it easily exceeds 1200.

I hope you don't have a family to take care of or a mortgage to pay.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Slay3r1583

All of them. I don't buy used games. I don't know. I don't keep track of how many games I buy a year.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By AlexW00d

I bought 2 last year, Dark Souls and LA Noire. I like to pretend I didn't buy LA Noire, so 1.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Contrarian

@jakkblades said:

@Contrarian said:

@Mistzero said:

Yes to both. Hey, everyone has a hobby. I don't drink, smoke, gamble or do drugs and I get a good income. There are far more expensive hobbies out there, plus, I am a bargain hunter and would be lucky to average 30% of full retail across all purchases. You shouldn't be surprised how cheaply you can pick up a game if you are prepared to wait 6-12 months to buy it.

@CrossTheAtlantic said:

Yeah for real. Even if you (generously) average that out to 40 a game, accounting for sales and portable game purchases, that's 4g's a year on games alone. Damn. Maybe he's just a balla shot calla.

Closer to 3k.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

@jakkblades said:

@Contrarian said:

@Mistzero said:

Yeah for real. Even if you (generously) average that out to 40 a game, accounting for sales and portable game purchases, that's 4g's a year on games alone. Damn. Maybe he's just a balla shot calla.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HarlechQuinn

Probably not as much as Contrarian, but pretty close to his numbers I guess... I stopped to count the games I buy, it's better for my conscience ;)

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DeF

sheesh, 7-9 as the max before the "more" option?

including sales and stumbling across good deals every now and then, it probably comes to 3-5 A MONTH. (with only a few being full price releases)

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sarahsdad

@Contrarian: I don't think I'm ever going to get close to that, but on a much smaller scale, it's exactly the sort of thing that's going through my mind. Looking at what I spend on new stuff, I've been spending more time lately cutting back, and playing older games.

The big ones that got me thinking about it recently were Hitman, and Borderlands. I have Borderlands out as a rental, and having bought Bloodmoney for 10.00, plus knowing I could go down to GameStop and get Borderlands for about what it's costing me for a monthly rental has me really thinking about how important it is to play something "right now", vs. spending the same amount 6-12 months latter on 2 or maybe 3 games.

warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By warchief

Only buy games on the PC.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

Around 10 a month normally so around 120 a year I suppose.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

None because I have no moneys. Soon, I'll buy most major 360 games that aren't JRPGs, or shit, or on PC.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ProfessorK

about 1 a month so at least 12 in a year maybe more around black friday because of sales

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Now that I have a new PC it's fallen to about 20-25. It was probably around 40-50 before.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jack268

I would say around 5, but it varies by year, of course. I think I should make a habit out of waiting a week and picking up a used copy though. Scored a great deal on Dark Souls (£17 for the limited edition in near perfect condition) just one week after release and I certainly would like to be able to save that kind of money on every game I buy.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By onan

I buy a lot of games new that aren't the original retail price, does that count?

Like I JUST received Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon in the mail from Newegg and that only cost me $9.99 shipped.

If we're talking full $60 retail titles, that number has gone down a lot. Used to be 2-3 a month, but this last year I've realized I rarely get around to those games before their price drops, so now I ask myself if I intend to play the game through from beginning to end the moment I get it home. If the answer is no, I hold off on it. I forget what kicked it off, but I recently peeled the shrinkwrap off a game I had purchased for $60 new but was down to $20 everywhere only a month or two after release. I looked at the shrinkwrap in my hand and thought, "Was that actually worth $40?" The answer was a definitive no. Looking at my shelf right now, I pre-ordered Child of Eden and it's STILL wrapped up. I paid full price and Newegg has it for 9.99 right now. That's nonsense. Supporting the industry is one thing, but at a certain point I'm almost literally throwing money away.

Actually, thanks for this thread. I just cancelled my long-standing pre-order for Lollipop Chainsaw. Just realized it didn't fit my updated guidelines for a new retail title.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By fjordson

Probably 15-20. Sometimes more if it's a particularly good year.

Anlino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Anlino

Four to six, probably. A lot more on XBLA, GoD and PSN.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ravenlight

Practically none if we're talking PC ports of console games that are available on Steam. Skyrim and Saints Row: The Third are the only ports I've purchased for full price in maybe two years. That's not to say I don't go broke during the biannual Steam Sales. And pick up half a dozen titles for the price of one.

To those of you who purchase mid-to-high double digits of games each year, HOW TO YOU FIND TIME TO PLAY THEM ALL?? Madmen, the lot of you.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Two for my PS3

Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Totori

like 30

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By s10129107

Last console game i bought was MK9. That was over a year ago. Been buying PC games really. There isnt really a button for me.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By Sooty

1-3

The only game I'm definitely getting this year is Hitman which will be on PC, so console game wise I could be looking at 0 new ones excluding downloadables.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By iam3green

i would say 4-6 a year. i don't think i have bought a lot this year. i am trying to beat the games that i have.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By donkeycow

How can someone buy over 100 games a year... I don't even.... What? I probably buy between 4 and 8 new console games a year and then maybe another dozen used and PC titles. So far this year i've bought 2, being the Witcher 2 and Max Payne 3.

Washa_Endrya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Washa_Endrya

Wow to the options of the poll. I bought 35 3DS games alone last year.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By Brendan

I average about 6 console games. Add about 4 extra for downloadable and Steam titles.

upwarDBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By upwarDBound

I really only buy digital download games on PC anymore and usually old ones at that.

For consoles the past couple of years I've been averaging around 1 to 3 games bought new per year and rent the rest.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jmfinamore

I only buy about 1 game at $60 a year. I'm still in school and really can't afford to spend that much on a game.

Anupsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Anupsis

I have morphed into a PC gamer ever since I got my new PC. I have never had a good computer before and now its the only thing I am on most of the time. I still play my consoles but not nearly as much.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#41  Edited By Hizang

Way more than I can physically play!

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Sayishere

Depends, i dont remember how many games i bought last year, but it was a hell of alot.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#43  Edited By Giantstalker

4-6 console games, a ton more on the PC. The amount I've spent on my PC though... damn.

Creciente

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By Creciente

I mostly prefer to play on consoles, so most of my purchases are done for those. It's difficult to say how many I buy a year exactly, but it should be somewhere around 20-25 (home & portable), perhaps a few more. And a couple of games for PC every now and then. I often wait until price drops and hunt for older games (unless it's the rare "NEED. RIGHT. NOW" kind), not getting anything used, so everything is new. Backlog's not getting any smaller lately and that saddens me.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really have no idea, I'll go long stretches playing nothing and then buy 4 games in 2 weeks come October/November. I'd guess a game ever month and a half if I had to make an average.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By subject2change

4-6 FULL RETAIL is what I put but thats probably high for me. I get a lot of mine discounted from Amazon when they price drop em. And nothing seems that appealing this year to me for console besides Last of Us.

Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Sarkhan

10-12. depends on whats coming ofc. This year? only 4.

GavinFawcett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By GavinFawcett

I have gotten 2 AAA games this year, and downloaded 14 ( PSN Steam) I'm 17 I don't have enough cash flow to get everything I want.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By sickVisionz

4-6 depending on the year. This year it will probably only be about 3, not counting XBLA/PSN games. I'm not interested in anything else coming out this year and I've already purchased two. On Black Friday I'll probably pick up FFXIII-2 if it on sale for $20.

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SSValis

2. Maybe 3 if I have some spare money.