KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

Sup fools (and nation),

I was at a diner earlier with some friends, and while we were eating our delicious morning cake, we witnessed a fat kid eating pancakes with his bare hands.  This kid grabbed a mouthful of pancake and shoved it in his face, and his mother was talking about how the government was wasting money giving money to health care.  That got me and my friends thinking, how many discs are too many in this day in age?  

With the recent news of Final Fantasy XIII being on three discs, is it good or bad?  Now I come from the day in age when Squaresoft (now known as Shit Enix), made some of the most epic stories that rivaled those told in novels.  The "pain" of swapping discs were that of around 30 seconds at the most.  So yes, I'm not bothered by disc swapping.

However, as I became older in age and acquired higher quality audio/video...it started to dawn on me that many discs were bad.  For one, the video won't be at the highest quality possible, and the audio is often shitty basic 5.1, and I have already been spoiled by PCM 7.1 from Blu-Ray.  

Let's say Tetsuya Nomura makes Final Fantasy Versus XIII for 360, and let's say the rumors of V13 being 2 BDs are true...and let's say V13 ends up being a solid 70 GB on PS3.  That's 10 DVDs for the Xbox 360.  

10 DVDs for one game, and that's assuming that all the audio is uncompressed like the PS3, and the video isn't compromised.  

Also let's note that V13 isn't anything like FF13 as V13 is an open-world, has a fully made world map (better than the classic FF days) WITH a proper airship, and is using a fully orchestrated score that is being recorded in proper 7.1 audio.  

Let's even use an example that isn't out...let's say GTAV is coming out for both consoles, and is of far larger scale than GTA4.  Let's say the game takes up 4-5 DVDs.

4 DVDs, 5 DVDs, or even 10 DVDs....is there a limit to how many DVDs people want to deal with?  

Sure for linear games I don't think anyone cares, but for open world games...maybe each contient or zone is it's own disc?  Is it that much of a deal to people?  

I for one don't mind as long as nothing is being compromised.  What about you lot?
beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By beej

Eh, I don't really mind multiple discs. Especially if they'll let you install the other discs to the hard drive.

WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

I'd love to know how fat kids eating pancakes makes you think about games and their disks. Morning cake does great things to the mind :D

Im not that bothered about the amount of disks so long as theyre not there for you to constantly switch when youre in the middle of the game. If theyre there for extra content or additional features its all good, so long as i dont get bloody pop ups mid game telling me to put in disk 2 for 5 seconds then back to disk 1.

Mechabolic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mechabolic

You kids have it easy now a days.  Back in the psx era it was pretty common to have a standard RPG to have 2-4 discs in it and god help you if you didn't finish all the side quests in the first disc.  Of course that was during the time of RPGs lasting 25-40 hours minimum on the main story alone.  Now we have hard drives to install everything, cloud saving, ect.  Personally, I don't think there will ever be a game that will break 4 discs.  For some reason it's a stigmata in this generation of games that if it doesn't fit on the disc then call it DLC and charge 5-10 dollars for it.  It's ok devs!  I don't mind getting up once in a while!

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By TehFlan

More than 1 disc is too many disks.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By animateria

Two is too many for me.

If you misplace the disk in some other game cd. It can get tedious to find it.

Now if you misplaced two in two other games well... That's a lot of fun.
phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By phish09

I don't know.  Since the 360 allows you to install any game on your HDD, it would be kind of cool to have GTAV on 10 discs and install them all first and then just put one disc in for verification purposes and never have to worry about load times or loud disc drives again.  I guess maybe 10 discs would be overkill, but if they let me do it like that I wouldn't mind so much.  If I had to switch discs every time I wanted to go to a different area of London (or wherever) then that would piss me off to no end.

Avatar image for endlessobsidian
EndlessObsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EndlessObsidian
@KaosAngel:  " I for one don't mind as long as nothing is being compromised."

This. If the product is of quality, seeing as I am not a lazy sack of  poop, I don't mind switching discs.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#9  Edited By EpicSteve

Not to be a dick, but you people complaining about multiple discs are lazy. Or if you're the type of person worrying about losing disks, you need to be better organized. To help you out, use that plastic case the game came in. 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By xyzygy
@EpicSteve said:
" Not to be a dick, but you people complaining about multiple discs are lazy. Or if you're the type of person worrying about losing disks, you need to be better organized. To help you out, use that plastic case the game came in.  "
Seriously this. I don't get why there are so many threads about multiple discs now that we hear about LA Noire. Shouldn't this have been a more talked about discussion back during the FFXIII days? Or even Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey? Why are people surprised and why do they care so much? 

Internet forums are hives of over exaggeration.
mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mattbosten

As long as the actual swapping of discs is implemented properly and doesn't effect the experience it's a non-issue. If during the middle of gameplay you have to swap discs because you slipped over a world border then that's an issue. I don't foresee this ever being a problem, with LA Noire the game world will be on every disc, the only thing that would be separated on the discs would probably be story missions, voice over and cinematics. 

positrark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By positrark

For me about 5. More than that is not a dealbreaker but it does start to become a serious drawback.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By dagas

I don't mind multiple discs, but you really shouldn't have to switch between them if you install them. When the game is installed all the 360 is doing with the disc is checking you have it. If you have one of the discs as the play disc then giving away the install discs to someone else would not allow them to play the game anyway. But even if I have to disc swap it's not the end of the world. It's even a bit nostalgic since it reminds me the PS1 era when pretty much every RPG was on several discs. 
Call me crazy but I almost missed the disc swap in the PS2 era. Apart from Star Ocean 3 I can't think of any game that was on several discs. The disc swaps in FF7-9 and such games made for a good milestone. You could say to your friends "I'm on disc three" and it would give them a rough estimate of how far you where without having to have anything spoiled by saying "I'm in Esthar" or something like that.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By crusader8463

I play 99% of my games through Steam, so any disk feels like too much for me now a days.

I honestly don't think I ever played a game that required me to get up and swap disks during play. I recall kind of playing some games that had more then one disk back in the PSX days, but I don't think I ever made it past the first disk. I would imagine that as long as it makes you switch during an obvious break in the story it wouldn't matter.
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zombie2011
@xyzygy said:
" @EpicSteve said:
" Not to be a dick, but you people complaining about multiple discs are lazy. Or if you're the type of person worrying about losing disks, you need to be better organized. To help you out, use that plastic case the game came in.  "
Seriously this. I don't get why there are so many threads about multiple discs now that we hear about LA Noire. Shouldn't this have been a more talked about discussion back during the FFXIII days? Or even Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey? Why are people surprised and why do they care so much? 

Internet forums are hives of over exaggeration.
"
Exactly my thoughts.

Also depends on the game i feel one disc for Deadly Premonition was too many.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By MysteriousBob

I stopped reading at "shit enix".

Not because I like Square (I never have) but because you use insults like a five year old. I bet you spell Microsoft will a dollar symbol too. Ugh.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KaosAngel
@MysteriousBob said:
" I stopped reading at "shit enix".

Not because I like Square (I never have) but because you use insults like a five year old. I bet you spell Microsoft will a dollar symbol too. Ugh.
"
...I own two 360s...
WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By WalkerTR77

I have fond memories of ps1 era final fantasy games, I always associated changing discs with a feeling of achievement/progress and I still do. Not only is it something of a novelty now (how many games really require disc changes these days?) it's really pretty inconsequential in terms of effort to change a disc and it happens very seldom over the course of multiple hours of gameplay - i.e. there's likely to be 6-8 hours of gameplay between changes.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jimbo
@MysteriousBoob said:

"
lolol ^^
Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Subjugation

Multiple discs aren't anything new. Stop crying. Maybe they should just cut half of the content from games so a lazy sack doesn't have to get up off their couch. Makes sense right?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

As long as I don't have to change disks every 5 minutes, I'm fine. It could be on 200 disks, but as long as there is a good long period of time between disk changes, it's not going to bother me.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Jimbo said: 

@MysteriousBoob said: 

"
lolol ^^ "
ololol indeed.

on-topic: what the fuck are you talking about "10 DVDs" ? the Xbox 360 isn't sticking around forever, nor is the DVD technology. the next gen will feature bigger games than those you mentioned, contained on 2 discs max (i know it!)
Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Vexxan

I don't mind more discs, just means the game is big.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By animateria
@MattyFTM said:
" As long as I don't have to change disks every 5 minutes, I'm fine. It could be on 200 disks, but as long as there is a good long period of time between disk changes, it's not going to bother me. "
But what if you misplace just 1 of those 200 disks?

You're kinda screwed there buddy.

It doesn't happen to me all that often, but I had a problem looking for my Diablo 2 disks and the expansion before. It's really frustrating.
scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By scarace360

1 i want everything digital!

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KaosAngel
@animateria said:

"It doesn't happen to me all that often, but I had a problem looking for my Diablo 2 disks and the expansion before. It's really frustrating."

If you linked your keys with Battle.net you don't need the CDs at all.  Battle.net works like Steam now and you can re-download all games you own at will.
laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By laserbolts
Amount of discs doesn't really matter to me. Although if it's more than say 4 it does seem a little much. Still not a big enough thing to stop me from buying a game.
ThePencil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ThePencil

Microsoft's next gen console is going t'come with 2 DVD disc drives...cuz you KNOW they don't want to admit Blu-Ray is superior. Joking aside, I don't have a problem with multiple discs, hell Baldurs Gate 2: Throne of Bhall/Shadows of Amn is like 5 discs, and I play that game religiously. I remember having to get off my fat arse to put in floppy disc 3/7 for some old ass games. I mean really, do gamers these days see multiple discs as a bad thing?

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By animateria
@KaosAngel said:
" @animateria said:

"It doesn't happen to me all that often, but I had a problem looking for my Diablo 2 disks and the expansion before. It's really frustrating."

If you linked your keys with Battle.net you don't need the CDs at all.  Battle.net works like Steam now and you can re-download all games you own at will. "
I actually did that when they first started that stuff.

The whole searching thing happened way before any of that.

I wonder if Microsoft and Sony would ever do that to their games...
Avatar image for starfishhunter9
Starfishhunter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Starfishhunter9

Just wait for next gen. They will definately have larger disk sizes on the new  consoles.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Akeldama
@EpicSteve said:
Why have 3 discs when you can have one?
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#32  Edited By Little_Socrates

You know what happens when you ask for three discs of content on one disc?

The recent Bethesda Fallout games. Incredibly buggy, but filled to the teeth with content. Naturally, I don't mind the two-disc approach in a more linear game (such as Mass Effect 2), but when it comes to open-world games they sort of need to be on one disc; changing discs in an open-world game just doesn't work, as it puts a pretty serious barrier in between going where you want to go.
Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it depends how long every disk lasts...

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ProfessorEss

Too many discs on the dancefloor.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Rockanomics

Diska-wha? DVDwho? ... Changing what now?

Oh those round thingies, I've been using Steam for so long I've forgotten all about them!

But yeah the last game I had gotten like that was LOTR:BFME2 and I think it was like a 7 CD install process, very much not worth it.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By napalm

EIGHT.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DystopiaX
@MattyFTM said:
" As long as I don't have to change disks every 5 minutes, I'm fine. It could be on 200 disks, but as long as there is a good long period of time between disk changes, it's not going to bother me. "
This basically. I don't mind getting up a couple times, especially since I almost never play games in one sitting so won't have to swap out multiple discs anyway. I'm fine with having tons of discs as long as it doesn't get too bothersome.
PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#38  Edited By PhatSeeJay

If your game does not randomly pause in mid gameplay and shout at me to change discs, I don't give a fuck. Make the disc transition points feel like good chapter breakers and it's fine to me. Though I would find it a bit silly to do like five disc swaps or something like that.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#39  Edited By JasonR86

I remember a long time ago I had a PC game (I can't remember what it was anymore) that had 8 install discs and a game discs.  This was when PC games were still on CDs and not DVDs.  It took forever to install that game.  I think that was my limit.  Now that I'm used to usually just one disc I can't imagine much more than three discs (for consoles).  I don't even want to think of more than three install discs anymore.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Karl_Boss

For me the more discs the better.....adds a novelty aspect.

dfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By dfox

As long as price of the game doesn't go up, I don't mind having tons of discs.

AceBlack19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By AceBlack19

As someone who grew up playing lame FMV games like Under a Killing Moon and Johnny Mnemonic, anything under double-digits is cool with me. I felt like The Ripper was the worst. I don't remember how many discs it came with, but I do remember having to swap them often.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#43  Edited By BeachThunder
@crusader8463 said:
" I play 99% of my games through Steam, so any disk feels like too much for me now a days."
Pretty much this :o

Also, this makes me feel old, but I remember when some games came on about 7 or 8 floppies D:
NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By NegativeCero

They don't bother me as I've dealt with PSX. Most those ever came with was 4 and I can't imagine anyone would be willing to press 4 DVD discs, as that money for manufacturing adds up and probably isn't worth it.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45  Edited By HadesTimes

As long as the discs are packaged well, I don't care.  What I really hate is when the company spends 1 cent on the packaging and all the discs end up scratched and the stems break just by looking at them.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#46  Edited By PerryVandell

I don't like having to deal with multiple discs but will if I have to. Since L.A. Noire can fit on one Blu-ray disc, that means I'll probably be getting it for the PS3 version.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Twenty. A game that required 20 discs would be my limit. Any less than that, and I can deal.

Edit: Also, I feel bad for those that lose their discs. What exactly are you doing with them when you take them out of the drive? I take the extra 5-10 seconds to put them back in the package they came in specifically to avoid errors like that.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Karl_Boss
@BeachThunder: They should put modern games on floppies.
Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Arbie

Poor hands not being given good exercise by lazy people who don't like changing discs! I think the only time it would become annoying for myself was if it was ruining playing the game, life every 10 minutes another disc was needed or something . =p

Also, totally misread the title at first, damn you tired eyes.

matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By matiaz_tapia
@EpicSteve:  I think you are giving it more attention than they are.

In the case of LA Noire, there's 2 products that cost exactly the same, play exactly the same as far as we know, one needs 3 disk and the other 1. So people are saying that they prefer 1.
Nobody is "not going to buy it" because of it.
Nobody is going to rush and buy a PS3 in order to play it in one disk, they just happen to have one and it's more convenient.

You are being condescending, calling people lazy ( you do not know any of them), and why? Because they are not going for your platform of choice?