How to Explain Toxic Video Game communities, to Someone That Just Wants to Know Why Gamers Are Asshats?

basicallilexi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By basicallilexi

Preventing the Erosion of Gaming Culture: Why videogame developers must lead the charge in fighting their own communities’ toxicity.

No Caption Provided

(This was originally written for a, mercifully, unpublished student newspaper. So I swear I’m not talking down to you..... I promise. But I feel when I wrote those a few months back I raised some important points worth discussing, and with just how toxic the Anthem discourse and the Steam BS has gottten I felt it was worth re-posting).

The competitive videogame community has a problem, its one that simmers quietly under the surface, only to boil over with a disappointing regularity and ferocity: Toxicity.

Toxicity you ask? In the words of an anonymous Reddit user, ‘a toxic player is someone who constantly creates a bad atmosphere which interferes with your gaming experience’. In theory it’s someone who goes out of their way to make your experience fundamentally worse, however, in practice load up any competitive game; preform in such a way as to displease a team member and you’ll soon find a fellow ‘gamer’ willing to explain to you in great detail where you should take yourself and who/what/when/how you should do there.

Why does this happen? Has it always been like this? What damage does it do and what can we do about it?

There is no shortage of theories as to how certain games’ community have found themselves in this sorry state. Some of the most prevalent include:

Growing pains of a once enthusiast hobby becoming mainstream.

Gaming was once considered a niche and strange hobby for a particular stereotype: young, stay at home, social vagrant teens and young men yet to grow up, through the 80s and early 90s. From the mid-90s through the 00s the media shifted from presenting the stereotype of harmless young people in a phase using cutting edge technology for fun to reclusive and obsessional, underdeveloped men obstinate towards change. Naturally, this led to two mindsets among people who’ve been playing for years; wishing others never feel marginalised for something as menial as a hobby, seeking to make their favourite art form more inclusive, and open and those who due to this mild social stigma have garnered an, arguably, unfounded sense of entitlement and….

Protectiveness.

One of the key argument for those that act in toxic ways is, ‘games have always been competitive, like this, it’s part of them’, calling back to the days of simple competitive area based shooters like Quake and Unreal Tournament, where everyone had the same equipment and winning was purely decided by who had to best aim and most skill, fighting games like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, which were home to some of the first competitive international tournaments. The stereotypes inflicted on these communities oft resulted in mass gatekeeping, against those whom didn’t conform to clichés that they once rejected, and an aggressive competitive scene. Those that felt they’d been boxed in, wished to cut themselves off from further ridicule. This paired with the sense ownership and the what for the safety of an unchanging culture has resulted in a part of the gaming community which despite now being in a minority in their beliefs (that gaming’s culture should be preserved as it was before it found its way into the wider zeitgeist. Back when they were a minority not for their attitude but for holding this interest to begin with). Time has only made them more vocal, intrusive and dangerous against those that seek to expand gaming’s horizons.

What effect has this sentiment had on the wider gaming community?

In short: a culture where harassment, death threats and abuse are considered part-in-parcel with being a vocal or prominent game developer, journalist, or content creator. Typical examples including: campaigns to get vocal progressive, female game developers/creators/etc. fired using mob tactics and slander, death threats to developers for having the gall to delay a game or change a mechanics or statistics within a game and most insidiously a ‘git gud’ (or get out) attitude being built among many competitive games. This mentality isn’t just seen in the toxicity of some competitive games’ communities but in the rejection of robust accessibility options for lower skilled or impaired people as ‘diluting the experience’ and ‘taking away from the achievement of beating certain games’.

Here we see a split in the wider gaming community, wherein many who push for inclusivity, diversity and acceptance are forced to hold a constant defensive position against an aggressive minority which feels that what was once a stalwart constant in their life is being co-opted by a group wishing to push agendas.

In reality games have always been a progressive movement where creators often sought to push back against the cultural mandate, expectations and norms of art. In the days of games like DOOM, Wolfenstein and even the arcade experience, this took several forms. Games pushed the envelope in terms of what was considered acceptable violence, the amount of time you’d have to invest to gain an appreciation for the art you were looking at and communities based solely on competition. These aspects have become common place in mediums such as film; with violence everywhere in summer blockbuster, franchises like the Marvel Cinematic Universe having so many entries we order their importance to an overarching narrative and more sports viewed on television than ever before respectively. However now this same ethos of pushing the norms of entertainment sees creators strive for representation of traditionally underserved groups (diverse characters) and inclusivity for those with limited access to other forms of entertainment (accessibility options for those with a disability).

This constant pushing of boundaries was prophetic before and will be again as we slowly see films regard diversity as a more normalised reality rather than an exception, yet often a hostile minority resists this progressive approach.

So, how should the gaming industry tackle this issue? It must be creator led. Extremely popular games such as the completive shooter Rainbow Six: Siege have gone from having a reputation for their unwelcoming community to being widely regarded as holding one of the best moderated and diverse ones, how?

It was surprisingly simple, yet risky. The Developers Ubisoft Montreal, loved their community but hated the small abusive section which had grown to the point that it would be difficult to play the game for extended periods of time without encountering one of these players. In response the Ubisoft, with a player base of 35 million, risked alienating a sizable section of their audience. Claiming toxic ‘trash talking’ was an integral part of the game’s experience, Ubisoft chose to instantly ban anyone who used a racial/homophobic/etc. slurs in the game’s in-game chat or was recorded over voice chat, including retroactively banning players previously reported and gone unpunished. Did they lose their base due to the loss of a ‘integral part of the community’? No, in fact the games are currently growing at a faster rate than ever before.

All the while companies like Sony push robust accessibility options for disabled gamers in their first party games and Microsoft-Xbox released an Adaptive Controller: a modifiable, cheap alternative controller for those with a disability. Resulting in a player base which now has more varied discussions, centred on more positive elements of gaming, as they simply can play more games than before. On top of all this, in the long run this has created more business for the creators by tapping into long neglected markets and creating goodwill for themselves with the majority of those that discuss games.

All this being said there is still a massive upwards battle and leading from the front is easier said than done. With some competitive games struggling to curb undesirable sections of their community in spite of the developers’ best efforts, see games like Overwatch and Battlefield mixed to failed implementation of teammate reward/punishment mechanics.

While some game developers do push for a diversity the likes of which have never been seen in another industry before. Other industry leaders like League of Legends developer, Riot, and Quantic Dream, studio home to overrated (very personal opinion) auteur David Cage, have been reported to ostensibly be boys’ clubs. Too often you’ll read reports of managers and company-higher-ups acting as catalysts for their community’s most negative members, condoning and even encouraging gatekeeping and bigotry in their own company. With reports from ex-Riot employees saying that if employees weren’t seen as ‘real gamers’, they were told they should get out and two riot employees, one former, on current, bring a federal case against the company for discrimination on the bases of sex, while David Cage’s studio has been caught with racist emails circulating among staff and Cage himself happy hanging a ‘penis painting’ in his office, with reckless abandon and zero sense of irony.

It’s an uphill battle. What can we do as community members and outsiders? We encourage developers to and celebrate when they do take positive steps. Whether that means taking a minute to thank Naughty Dog on Twitter for making the protagonist of the much anticipated upcoming The Last of Us: Part II a queer woman or Insomniac for including a rainbow flags on buildings around Manhattan in Marvel’s Spider-man, which they also loaded with options regarding granular difficultly and accessibility settings for players of all abilities. We must also, respectfully, be vocal when developers with resources and opportunities don’t make their games a better place for more players, telling them why, on mass, how it would affect us to be included or supported while playing games, explaining how this can inevitably only be a net positive for them in the long run. Ask developers like iD to fix their colour-blind options in their games, tell Rockstar you’re tired of playing as the same grizzled male architype, with unforgiving controller options and beg Nintendo to include Waluigi in more games (I love him, don’t shame me).

Games can only be made a better place by those making them, however, it’s our responsibly as consumers and players to vote with our wallets and be heard in our discourse to act as their supporters and critics, in the fight against toxicity.

Again I originally wrote this partially as an explain-er for people who might not know loads about games so I’d really appreciate any and all feedback and remember if you know someone saying shitty things in real life, call them out on it, you owe to yourself to ask for answers in person because someone online will rarely try to justify themselves!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I would also add that some of the toxicity in multiplayer games comes from their competitive nature. In my experience, being competitive also means having a strong aggressive streak, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Being aggressive can push a player to practice often so that they win more often, and learning how to control and channel competitive aggression can help you in the heat of the moment so that you don't do something stupid. But that same aggression can lead you to "shit-talking" the other team - which can be fun if everyone is a shit-talker, but isn't at all fun if you'd rather just chill out and have some fun. So that stuff needs to stay in private matches among people who know each other.

The other thing I'd like to bring up is off-topic and has to do with your writing style, so I'll spoiler block it.

Your spelling is fine, for the most part, but you need to read your sentences out loud. When you first type something out or you read it in your head, your mind fills in what you meant to say. When you read it out loud to yourself, you might realize where things stop making sense. Few of your sentences actually sound good and I had to parse what you meant to say in too many of them.

When you're writing in essay-ish form, it's better to state your thoughts in simple and concise terms, rather than write a sentence overloaded with commas and ideas. Commas are useful and can be used extremely well, but they can also be horribly abused.

basicallilexi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: Cheers! I've being trying to cut my sentences' length right down. I've gotten a bit better at it but only after first writing something, when re-reading stuff. I need to get it ingrained in my head so I do it while I go.

Glad you found some of the piece interesting and thank you for our honest feedback!

IEEE_GB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Many "Gamers" are just reactionary dipshits a la GamerGate. I wanna think this is mostly Americans who flip out over "the SJW feminists ruinin muh games" and they are people who have no power or control over their sad lives of dwindling upper mobility and all they have left is their gaming and if someone changes things from the traditional smelly room full of nerds playing Quake or Street Fighter intensely then they are losing control and flip out.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Just gamers are like sports fans, most are fine but there is a fucking massive number of reactionary dickheads out there ruining it for everyone

basicallilexi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yesiamaduck: Now if only someone could make us a barrack to decide what types of fans suck the most....

IEEE_GB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@basicallyolly: We could use a game as a filters for dummies... a litmus test, sort of like how I use The Big Lebowski as a test to see if someone has a sense of humor

basicallilexi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ieee_gb: I was going to make a joke Dave Lang's fan bracket but this legit sounds like a kinda funny idea. What are the videogame equivalents to Drive and Fight Club. Great games but if someone says that they're their favourite game you know your in for a loooong conversation?

Skyrim?

Mario 64? (Maybe this idea is less applicable than I thought)

What about the opposite, what games being mentioned as awesome that may not have gotten a he recognition they deserve tell you your on the same frequency as someone else?

DMC?

Vanquish?

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me the whole Gamer culture ractonary trash is what completely took me out of gaming online unless it's people I know personally. Honestly how we fix this problem is a much deeper rooted problem with online culture as a whole, as we see this all over social media in general. Don't get me wrong, vast majority of people are fine, but sadly the minority tend to be a louder outspoken people that just makes the whole thing even more difficult to deal with.

Here is a great article about Tim Burners-Lee and the internet and just how complex this really all is. https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/mar/12/tim-berners-lee-on-30-years-of-the-web-if-we-dream-a-little-we-can-get-the-web-we-want

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By soulcake

Knowing how much shit the DmC devs got ( Ninja Theory ) for making IMO the best DMC. game. I think most of this toxicity comes from people treating a piece of fiction as it is some religious relic or text. The word Fandom after all has the word fan in it witch is just a short abbreviation off Fanatic = " a person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal, especially for an extreme religious or political cause."

People should take videogames / videogame (franchises) less serious. Instead of treating as the next Messiah.

Also i don't feel anything for the word "gamer" as i call myself a videogame enthusiast, which says more then the word "gamer"

last thought i swear :D. I enjoy a lot off grand strategy games like HOI4 and it's mod community has being faulted by sites like "Kotaku" for being a little bit weird/right winged i think most off those mods like Mussolini with a dumb chef hat or a nazi cat mod come from trying to be edgy, i kind of trying to laugh away the seriousness of WWII as your playing a game and not really simulating WWII, (i thought chef hat Mussolini was funny but that's just my sense of humor).

the article i mentioned

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Easy answer is most feel entitled and that their opinion = fact.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee847d9468df
deactivated-5ee847d9468df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Part of it also comes from the superficial anonymity of being on the internet. That, and people not necessarily seeing each other as people over the internet. Unfortunately, people will treat each other as punching bags to let off some steam. They'll do it without really thinking about what they're doing to the people on the other end of it.

Without intending it, game mechanics can lend to it as well. I used to play World of Warcraft when I was younger (Burning Crusade). I remember plenty of people blowing up at each other over minor things. Hell, I was one of those people a couple of times. Getting worked up like that at someone over a video game is never the right way to go.

To get away from toxicity, I stopped playing online games with people I don't know (outside of deathmatches on Xonotic) and just stick to playing with people I do know. Otherwise, I'll just play a single-player game.

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In order to explain this to someone, I would simply tell them to look at basically any aspect of society/history. The problem is larger than video games, or anything that developers can address. It is a societal problem, people are shitty, and many take joy in making others feel shitty. People want to feel superior, this sentiment goes back hundreds of years. This, unfortunately, I don't think is anything anyone can change.

Sorry to be a debbie downer, but as much as I'd love the utopian Star Trek future, imo it will NEVER happen.

That said, this was very well written. I actually think I wrote a similar article for my sociology class in college a number of years back. I was obviously less pessimistic then hahaha.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can we also talk about how there are plenty of toxic communities outside of gaming too, and that humanity in general is kind of shitty to each other?

basicallilexi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake: I feel really bad for the DmC guys too. The first game of there's I've played was Hellblade and after recently starting Bayonetta I thought about getting into Devil May Cry and honestly from the bulk of what I've heard, it would be a much better tone for me. Easier introduction into combat, more self aware humour, as someone not much into character action I'm a lot more interested in trying someone disconnected from a wider cannon than the story mess that 5 seems to present. It's been so strange seeing all these what went wrong pieces and videos on DmC lately and the people making them are very much so like; ' I know I can't say its awful, because it was actually pretty well received, but remember how ANGRY we were..... And were totally right to be; I mean the game director was a dick (he seems he's just super dedicated to a vision when you hear him talk Hellblade) and Keiji Inafune *whispers* wasn't directly involved, but set the company MANDATE to appease more western audiences! Yeah that game was a disaster because it ran at 30fps on ps3/360... and I know you can pick it up on ps4/xbone now bu--- We were right at the time to be angry and it wasn't disproportionate at all!'

@adamstambaugh as much as I support people playing offline or on mute, if they feel they need to, it makes me genuinely sad. I've met people I've been FB friends with for several years during my first Destiny raid and it makes me so sad my sister is reserved to never pulling in a headset cause she doesn't want to risk the hassle of it.

@reap3r160. Thanks for the lovely words, I'm glad you enjoyed it! If I was writing his piece again I'd probably put a much more historical spin on it and a give it a much more pessimistic: 'time is a flat circle' message, I agree things probably aren't going to change, especially any time soon, but I had to submit this to a student newspaper and knew it had to have a somewhat positive/encouraging undertone. If not I would have talked about way more dark shit.

@cikame. Yep, I'm pretty sure Dave Lang helped GB bracket out the worst fanatics in society and crowned a 'worst section of humanity'.

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it had to have a somewhat positive/encouraging undertone. If not I would have talked about way more dark shit.

No, crush their dreams before life does! hahaha

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don’t find games any more toxic than social media.

They both suck, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee847d9468df
deactivated-5ee847d9468df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@basicallyolly: I feel especially bad for women. I'm sure things have gotten better, but I remember how women were treated back in my World of Warcraft (Burning Crusade) days. It wasn't everyone, but as soon as a gal started talking on Ventrilo, it wasn't uncommon for a sexist asshole to come out of the woodwork. I'm sure they didn't see themselves as sexist, but that's the best way to classify that behavior.

I left a guild over an issue like that. We needed a tank for a 25-man raid. I brought in a friend who was a solid tank. As soon as her voice popped up in Ventrilo, our raid leader started grilling her. He hasn't done that to anyone else (that I knew of) up to that point, even with trade chat pick-ups. Long story short, she ended up getting kicked before the raid even started. I tried to get our guild master involved, but he sided with the raid leader.

I ended up leaving the guild and falling off the game not too long after that. At that time, raiding without a guild wasn't really a thing and I couldn't find another guild with a free raid slot. There wasn't much else for me to do outside of raiding.

IEEE_GB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In order to explain this to someone, I would simply tell them to look at basically any aspect of society/history. The problem is larger than video games, or anything that developers can address. It is a societal problem, people are shitty, and many take joy in making others feel shitty. People want to feel superior, this sentiment goes back hundreds of years. This, unfortunately, I don't think is anything anyone can change.

Sorry to be a debbie downer, but as much as I'd love the utopian Star Trek future, imo it will NEVER happen.

That said, this was very well written. I actually think I wrote a similar article for my sociology class in college a number of years back. I was obviously less pessimistic then hahaha.

I wonder how much of this is due to the fracturing of in person community living and working situations of the 21st century, the alienation of the worker and the atomization of humans in order to be exploited by billionaires has made people powerless in real life so they look for outlets for their anger where they do have control like video games... (summary in a blog https://midnightmediamusings.wordpress.com/2015/07/11/alienation-in-the-21st-century-the-relationship-between-work-and-technology/)

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I feel like Internet discourse in general has become more polarizing and toxic over the lifetime of the Internet. Whether those discussions involve religion, politics, or video games, people take their perspective very seriously. I believe in the U.S. Constitution's First Amendment right to free speech, but I recognize that it can create frustration in a video game environment where communication is essential and often poisoned by a few bad actors. You can try to implement some sort of a reporting system, but the ideal way to stop bad behavior is to offer a better reward for good behavior. That reward is going to vary from game to game and individual game communities are going to have different ideas about how they want to reward or punish each other. I think it's a discussion that developers should continue to have with their communities to deter toxicity.