Humble Monthly Bundle - have you tried it and what do you think?

Laethe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As the title suggests, I have just found out about this subscription service from the folks at Humble bundle, which basically gets you a handful of games every first Friday of the month for $12 a month.

Have any of you guys tried it yet and what do you think of it? As someone with 200+ games in the Steam Library, is this something worth the price tag or would I likely just end up with duplicate keys of games most of the time? And even if that was the case for you, do you find that there's still enough games you don't have in the monthly selection to make it worth it for you?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@laethe said:

As the title suggests, I have just found out about this subscription service from the folks at Humble bundle, which basically gets you a handful of games every first Friday of the month for $12 a month.

Have any of you guys tried it yet and what do you think of it? As someone with 200+ games in the Steam Library, is this something worth the price tag or would I likely just end up with duplicate keys of games most of the time? And even if that was the case for you, do you find that there's still enough games you don't have in the monthly selection to make it worth it for you?

I have just shy of 900 games (tbf mostly because of humble) in my steam account and I get maybe 1 dupe per month, so if you've only got 200 it shouldn't be too bad. As for is it worth it? Probably not.

Laethe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@laethe said:

Can you expand on that? Why is it not worth it if you don't have 7 out of 8 games each month?

Because it's incredibly unlikely you're actually getting anything you want to play. May as well just save the $12 and buy a game you want. I know this last bits on me, but I've played 1 game from the last 5 bundles.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

As you only get to know one of the games in advance, I generally don't subscribe unless the headline offer is worth it and so the rest are nice bonuses. I'v also occasionally been buying something on the Humble store at the same time where the monthly thing also gives you an extra discount (which is good if they're also the cheapest place to buy a game at release occasionally).

It's not like I've got a lack of games to play on PC but sometimes it's a good deal. But I also don't really do any of the LootCrate etc box things where you buy a monthly mystery box. I get that they can shift some unwanted stock or raise brand awareness and so get cheap deals on stuff which means the total in the box is way less than retail prices but also it's not really something where I care for a lot of the stuff. When that's a digital purchase then it seems to make even less sense (although there are plenty of people who occasionally pop into my inbox promising me "exposure" via being included in such a deal if I hand over thousands of keys for free - not Humble and possibly that's more often than not a scam from key peddlers looking for easy money) and I'd rather buy stuff where I know what's in the box (eg traditional Humble Bundles).

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually get one or two games a month at least that I want to play so I find it worth it.

Laethe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Laethe

Thanks everyone, it seems like it's a bit hit and miss depending on the kind of games you already have and would like to play. I think I'll give it a shot this month since I was interested in buying Dragon's Dogma anyway, and stick with it for a couple of months to see if it's worth it for me.

MVHVTMV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's generally not worth it, because even if the games are good you probably won't end up actually playing them. But, if you think the preview game is something that you want to play already then it's usually worth it to pick it up and just see what you get. I subscribed the month that Ark was the preview title because $12 is the cheapest price that Ark had ever been on sale for, and I ended up with a couple of other cool things in there too.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I've only ever bought months where I know I want the main game (such as the months Alien: Isolation and Mad Max were the named game), especially when that game is cheaper to buy through the bundle. At that point, I was getting a game I wanted and was able to get surprised by the remainder of the games. I would never just buy a month to gamble on getting something good, because that rarely works out in your favor.

anarchobama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By anarchobama

Maybe I'm weird but I find getting games I didn't want to play part of the appeal. I subscribed recently with the three month plan and really enjoyed Broforce despite no previous interest in playing it. I'm not yet sure if I'll resubscribe after three months but personally I find it worth it because there's enough games that I'll at least find something interesting even if I don't end up getting anything on my wishlist.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i have enough games as is, for now (though potentially for the rest of my life as well...)

but ill probably fucking try it anyway because im dumb.

DodoBasse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DodoBasse

I find that eventually most of the non-AAA games that I wanted show up on it. Sometimes even an AAA-game I hadn't planned to get, and then sometimes there's a game for when you're in a specific mood. Personally it feels like good value.

EDIT: Oh, and sometimes there's something on it that you can give to someone who wants it.

Laethe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anarchobama: This is exactly the reason I wanted to try this.

Sometimes I'll buy an Humble Bundle just for one specific game, but then discover another couple of gems I'd never heard of before. I've just subscribed for 3 months, we'll see how it goes!

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I think it's great if you have a small Steam library. I have a large Steam library (1000+), so I ended up getting a bunch of games I already own. It's a great deal for lots of people, especially compared to Xbox Live or PS+, but it didn't really work out for me. I only had it for a month or two.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a great way to get some games you might not have tried otherwise. I always enjoy at least 2 games and the weird toss on thats "exclusive" to HB.

Avatar image for anonymous_jesse
Anonymous_Jesse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't like it. Most of the good games I already got and there was a lot of junk.