Hungry for an RPG that isn't entrenched in WRPG or JRPG design?

DespoticDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DespoticDave

All I know is that I want an RPG that doesn't involve the typical western tropes of aliens/marines/Lord of the Rings etc. While avoiding the JRPG tropes of annoying and cliche characters/story while leaning heavily on grinding. That asking for too much? Anyone know of any games like that? Possibly from this generation of consoles? Most likely not. Don't get me wrong though. I don't mind when an RPG is influenced from those areas. I'm just tired of them being so entrenched within those confines. Anyone like me hope that one day Western and Japanese developers will deviate from the norm a bit? Or maybe they have and I'm just some dolt that hasn't seen them.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ViciousReiven

I think your view of RPGs may already be tainted, if you're specifically recognizing those things in the games you try then personal opinions on games that others think don't have those things may not help at all, since what's not annoying or grindy to some may be too much for others. 

Thinking logically without letting personal opinion take over, I don't think I know an RPG that doesn't fit those categories in some way.

DibMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DibMonkey
Alpha Protocol - for it's actual roleplay elements is brilliant and pretty interesting.
IF you go for a stealthy or snipe-y type build that can manage combat then even that side of things can be pretty fun.

Easily worth the broken action game part for the juicy roleplay centre
Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Deeveeus
@DespoticDave: Kingdom Hearts was game that was amazing because it was so different theme wise. It's JRPGish, but it's definitely not a grinder game.
HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HubrisRanger

Alpha Protocol (despite being broken as all hell sometimes) is one of the most fascinating RPG experiences I've had in quite some time. Definitely worth checking out if you don't mind some hair-pulling.

rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rubberluffy
No Caption Provided
How about a game with one of the best protagonists ever, that takes place in World War 1 era Europe and China,  and is drenched in Lovecraftian occultism, with a battle system that requires you to pay attention?  Sure, it is an older game, but it is one the best and most overlooked on the PS2 (also it's sequel, which I like more).
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By crusader8463
Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Famov

The Paper Mario series (the first two, mostly) are fantastic games that follow their own rules. Thousand Year Door is the best of the three.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Brendan

Mario RPG's are your friend.  Look em up on Giantbomb.com, a website about video games.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By MysteriousBob
Mother 3 is devoid of cliche. Its the anti-Persona.
DespoticDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DespoticDave
@ViciousReiven said:

" I think your view of RPGs may already be tainted, if you're specifically recognizing those things in the games you try then personal opinions on games that others think don't have those things may not help at all, since what's not annoying or grindy to some may be too much for others.   Thinking logically without letting personal opinion take over, I don't think I know an RPG that doesn't fit those categories in some way. "

@DespoticDave said:

" Don't get me wrong though. I don't mind when an RPG is influenced from those areas. I'm just tired of them being so entrenched within those confines. "

I hope that quote from my original post deciphers part of what you said. As for the rest of it. Why am I not thinking logically? I'm simply hoping for a deviated path. I realize that different people have different takes on what they enjoy in an RPG. Although, that had nothing to do with what I was saying. I just want an RPG that doesn't lend itself to any one of those areas. Nothing wrong with being influenced of course. I would like to find an RPG that doesn't carry those elements so heavily on its back. I hope on either side of the world some developer says, " just because we are from here doesn't mean we have to make an RPG that adheres to these standards. "
RoxasXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RoxasXIII
@MysteriousBob: Dude. Yes. I loved this game. I'm glad some other people went to the trouble to play it. 

@DespoticDave: I know your pain dude, unfortunately I just don't mind as much since I can have fun with almost any game. But I would agree with the Mario RPG people, those are GREAT games in my opinion.
DespoticDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DespoticDave
@DibMonkey said:
" Alpha Protocol - for it's actual roleplay elements is brilliant and pretty interesting. IF you go for a stealthy or snipe-y type build that can manage combat then even that side of things can be pretty fun.  Easily worth the broken action game part for the juicy roleplay centre "
I wasn't really all that interested in Alpha Protocol when it was announced. The negative buzz and reviews leading up to its release turned me off. Maybe I'll give it a rental. 
@rubberluffy said:
"
No Caption Provided
How about a game with one of the best protagonists ever, that takes place in World War 1 era Europe and China,  and is drenched in Lovecraftian occultism, with a battle system that requires you to pay attention?  Sure, it is an older game, but it is one the best and most overlooked on the PS2 (also it's sequel, which I like more). "

I completely forgot about this series. So many RPG games on the PS2, this one definitely got overlooked. I'm part of the guilty party on this since I never played it myself. I suppose I could try to play this game if I hadn't sold off my PS2 years ago. *facepalm*
leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By leebmx

I hear those African RPG's can be pretty amazing.

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By kalmis

Sequel to this game is what you are looking for?
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Animasta

I think Nier is different enough to regular JRPG's for you to try. It's got a lot of different types of gameplay styles, the main character looks ugly as hell, the characters (aside from one who isn't the best) are fantastic and unique.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mordukai
@kalmis said:
"
"
YES, YES, and YES!!!! GO play Demon's Souls, you owe it to yourself and see if you got the marbles!  
 I just got my  demon's souls platinum the other night and I still can't still stop playing it. 
august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By august
JellyFish_Gsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By JellyFish_Gsus

Yip   Demon's Souls at times tested my ability to stop myself from throwing my controller. Also Borderlands ?

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kjellm87

Castlevania (metroidvania style), Paper Mario's and the Mother/Earthbound games (a little grindy, but worth it) is what I can think of.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mutha3
@DespoticDave said:
 while leaning heavily on grinding.
I can't think of a single jrpg released in the past 10 years which required grinding...

okay, I can, but you've probably never heard of them.
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By ch13696

If you have a PC then I highly suggest The Witcher. Other than that, I'm suggesting Final Fantasy. Due to the fact that Square-Enix is laways changing the formula, so you're never bored.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ch13696 said:
" If you have a PC then I highly suggest The Witcher. Other than that, I'm suggesting Final Fantasy. Due to the fact that Square-Enix is laways changing the formula, so you're never bored. "

The Witcher is exactly what I was going to suggest as well.
Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Actually, FFXIII has no grinding and most of the characters are fine.

But it sounds like you don't want an RPG at all.

DespoticDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DespoticDave
Demon Souls is fantastic. I've played it over a friends house and, I must say, not since Ninja Gaiden 2 have I wanted to throw a fucking controller at the wall so badly. Unfortunately, I don't own a PS3, so I can't buy a copy for myself (tight budget). I've played The Witcher though. Can't wait for the sequel. Speaking of sequels, I wouldn't mind a sequel/re-imagining to the old PS2 strategy RPG, Ring of Red.
Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DespoticDave said:
" Demon Souls is fantastic. I've played it over a friends house and, I must say, not since Ninja Gaiden 2 have I wanted to throw a fucking controller at the wall so badly. Unfortunately, I don't own a PS3, so I can't buy a copy for myself (tight budget). I've played The Witcher though. Can't wait for the sequel. Speaking of sequels, I wouldn't mind a sequel/re-imagining to the old PS2 strategy RPG, Ring of Red. "
Hold on a second, you want a game that ISN'T a Western-style setting and ISN'T a JRPG but you would consider Demon's Souls if you had a PS3? Demon's Souls is literally both at the same time!
DespoticDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DespoticDave

@President_Barackbar said:

" @DespoticDave said:

" Demon Souls is fantastic. I've played it over a friends house and, I must say, not since Ninja Gaiden 2 have I wanted to throw a fucking controller at the wall so badly. Unfortunately, I don't own a PS3, so I can't buy a copy for myself (tight budget). I've played The Witcher though. Can't wait for the sequel. Speaking of sequels, I wouldn't mind a sequel/re-imagining to the old PS2 strategy RPG, Ring of Red. "
Hold on a second, you want a game that ISN'T a Western-style setting and ISN'T a JRPG but you would consider Demon's Souls if you had a PS3? Demon's Souls is literally both at the same time! "

" Don't get me wrong though. I don't mind when an RPG is influenced from those areas. I'm just tired of them being so entrenched within those confines. " 
I just quoted myself from my original post on this topic. I hope that clears things up.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#28  Edited By armaan8014
@Khann said:
" @ch13696 said:
" If you have a PC then I highly suggest The Witcher. Other than that, I'm suggesting Final Fantasy. Due to the fact that Square-Enix is laways changing the formula, so you're never bored. "
 The Witcher is exactly what I was going to suggest as well. "
This
endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By endaround

If what I take it to be is that you want to avoid space marines,elves and spikey haired teenagers?  If you want an SRPG there is Jeanne D'Arc, which has almost no grinding which is unique for a SRPG.  Planescape:Torment has already been mentioned, a game that you can't really grindeven if you wanted to.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Anachronox

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Diamond

There's a lot of good suggestions in this thread, but what I want to see is an RPG where you play as a ninja and none of those fantasy ninjas like in Final Fantasy.  I want some ninja ass ninja RPG.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By tourgen

I get the feeling you've already played most of the good RPGs.  You've pinpointed the problems with the C and B grade garbage out there.  Indigo Prophecy looked like it might be interesting.  I'm not sure how much of an RPG it is tho.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Asssassin's Creed: Brotherhood. 

I will fight any motherfucker to the DEATH who disagrees with me.

DespoticDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DespoticDave
@Diamond said:

" There's a lot of good suggestions in this thread, but what I want to see is an RPG where you play as a ninja and none of those fantasy ninjas like in Final Fantasy.  I want some ninja ass ninja RPG. "

More ninja action would be good. The next Assassins Creed game would be awesome if it were something along the lines of the Tenchu series.@tourgen said:

" I get the feeling you've already played most of the good RPGs.  You've pinpointed the problems with the C and B grade garbage out there.  Indigo Prophecy looked like it might be interesting.  I'm not sure how much of an RPG it is tho. "

I played Indigo Prophecy years ago. It was a good adventure game. @KingWilly said:

" Asssassin's Creed: Brotherhood.  I will fight any motherfucker to the DEATH who disagrees with me. "

I'm still waiting for Gamefly to mail me that fucking game already. @endaround said:

" If what I take it to be is that you want to avoid space marines,elves and spikey haired teenagers?  If you want an SRPG there is Jeanne D'Arc, which has almost no grinding which is unique for a SRPG.  Planescape:Torment has already been mentioned, a game that you can't really grindeven if you wanted to. "

I know of that game, don't have a PSP (had one years ago though). Also, just had to say this. Odin Sphere. Awesome. Further more. Muramasa: The Demon Blade needs to be brought to the PS3 and 360.
blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By blackbird415
@MysteriousBob said:
" Mother 3 is devoid of cliche. Its the anti-Persona. "
agreed. thats just good rpg fun. If your not worried about some crazy deep engrossing story, but in reality most rpgs lack that anyway.
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By owl_of_minerva
Deus Ex, even though it has a hybrid as it has choice/consequence (amongst the best to date in how you can alter the story), character skill over player skill, different builds, and multiple gameplay styles. System Shock 2 is also like that but not to the same degree. Suikoden 1 and 2 have virtually no grinding, neither does Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy XIII, etc. For Western games any Fallout game, Planescape: Torment, Arx Fatalis, Morrowind. Titan Quest is set in mythological Greece.
Except for retro-styled RPGs, excessive grinding has been greatly reduced in modern JRPG design. For ideas regarding Western rpgs, I'd suggest looking at what Steam and GOG have to offer and then maybe doing some research at sites like RPGWatch/RPGCodex.
xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
@rubberluffy said:
"

How about a game with one of the best protagonists ever, that takes place in World War 1 era Europe and China,  and is drenched in Lovecraftian occultism, with a battle system that requires you to pay attention?  Sure, it is an older game, but it is one the best and most overlooked on the PS2 (also it's sequel, which I like more). "

This this and more this. 

Also Legend of Dragoon for the PSX
Sinkwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Sinkwater
Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Aetheldod

You got me there dude , the only option I could think off was Demons Souls ... so I assume you only got a PC or Xbox 360 right? 

Edit: Ohh I know you may wanna try Sacred 2 , is a western RPG , but you have tons of grind to do and its  kinda weird and self referential , not too serious about itself , but not a bad game

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mars_Cleric
@DibMonkey said:
" Alpha Protocol - for it's actual roleplay elements is brilliant and pretty interesting. IF you go for a stealthy or snipe-y type build that can manage combat then even that side of things can be pretty fun.  Easily worth the broken action game part for the juicy roleplay centre "

I agree with this
Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mars_Cleric
@ch13696 said:
"If you have a PC then I highly suggest The Witcher. Other than that, I'm suggesting Final Fantasy. Due to the fact that Square-Enix is laways changing the formula, so you're never bored. "

and ths
Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Vorbis

I would of suggested Resonance of Fate, while it's a JRPG it's very different from the usual cliché and has a unique battlesystem which is more like a puzzler. Unfortunatly it requires some of the worst grinding in years so forget it.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By Jeust

If you can get to it
 If you can get to it
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#44  Edited By BeachThunder
Mr Robot has its issues, but it's definitely an interesting take on the genre.
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#45  Edited By Yummylee

The X-Men Legend/Marvel Ultimate Alliance games maybah?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure if exactly what you want out of an RPG is out there. The western tropes you mentioned (aliens/sci-fi, marines/modern, and LotR/fantasy) are pretty much the most interesting things to set games in. That's almost like saying you don't want a Sci-Fi, Modern, or Old-War shooter.. That doesn't leave many areas to play around in. But there are exceptions, some listed above and some I'll get to.

In most Western games, you'll usually create your own character, but the Japanese games will always fill the role with some sort of cliché characters and an extravagant story. Grinding hasn't been much of an issue in the top RPGs in the last decade or so, where the games are designed so players who are well experienced in the RPG genre (which you seem to be) can get by on their skill alone, while the grind is still possible to raise the chance of success. 

With that out of the way, I'll try to dig some out of the old noggin that fit the bill as best I can.

Earthbound - A great turn-based RPG for the SNES that's an experience unto itself.

Eternal Sonata - An interesting battle system mixed with a musical story in an interesting world. Plus it's damn beautiful. The characters can be a little cliché, but the story does a good job of making you care about them.

Persona - Set in modern day Japan with a mix of high school and traditional turn-based combat with a bit of Pokémon thrown in. The characters are all cliché in one way or another, but the writing makes them very believable and interesting. There can be a good bit of grind in these ones, though. 

Final Fantasy XIII - The characters are cliché, but the story is interesting and the grind is non-existent. If there's one thing Final Fantasy does right, it makes a world unlike anything you've mentioned and makes it real and believable. Sadly, I found the combat to be boring and the story didn't grab me as much as I had hoped.

Fable - Fable started out as a fantasy world but evolved into a steampunk environment. I bet you already knew about Fable, FF13, and Persona.. but hey, I'm just looking for ones that fit the description.

Lost Odyssey - A turn-based RPG that's Japanese to the core, and seemed really, really good from the few hours I played at a friend's house. Seems like it might end up being a little grindy towards the endgame, but it also felt like a love letter to true RPG fans.

Star Ocean - Yeah, it's Sci-Fi, but it's also Fantasy and Modern at the same time. Even though I don't mind the other games in the franchise, Star Ocean: The Second Story is the pinnacle of the series in my eyes. Great story, brilliant settings, and really fun combat combined with characters that you care about at the end of the game. And hey. That dude has two dragons growing out of him.

Hope that gives you at least some idea. :) Cheers!

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DibMonkey said:

@HubrisRanger

said:

" Alpha Protocol (despite being broken as all hell sometimes) is one of the most fascinating RPG experiences I've had in quite some time. Definitely worth checking out if you don't mind some hair-pulling. "

Oh my goodness, I love that game. 

Edit: Quoted Kingdom Hearts, accidentally. Love it, too, but it's not what I was referring to.
LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#48  Edited By LackingSaint

Minecraft.