I got a new 1440p 145hz G-Sync monitor. What now?

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Specifically, it's an AOC AGON AG271QG.

I downloaded the colour profile, made sure the refresh rate was all the way up and G-Sync was on, I got new wallpapers, I've rearranged my desktop and hooked up my other monitor. My plan is to take the oldest of my three monitors and set it up portrait to the left of my new one, and use it to keep my music program open on. Also: everything is hella tiny! The internet doesn't seem made for resolutions about 1080p.

I tried to play Arkham Knight and ooh boy that game has some severe streaming issues, so even though the framerate was above 60 the whole time, traversing the open world was painful because it would freeze and throw up a loading icon while flying around. I did reinstall DOOM and crank everything all the way up and holy hell it's really hard to describe how incredible it feels to play. I've also played some Yakuza 0, which is not exactly a graphical showcase but it's fun. Watched a handful of YouTube videos and those were cool but the compression on YouTube is pretty yucky.

So what do I do with it now? Does anyone have recommended settings I can play around with? Are there any sites that showcase hi-res photos or videos I can go to? Should I just watch Planet Earth 2 on Netflix for good effect? Any games that show well with a higher resolution?

kefrentz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Be aware that I believe Netflix in chrome and most likely other streaming services and possibly other browsers do not go above 1080p.

Also be aware if you decide to run a second monitor at 60hz that a random number of people using Windows 10 seem to have issues with it messing up frame rates in all sorts of fun ways (I just went through this)

If you happen to find a hi rez Steam client let me know because that often looks like ass at 1440p depending on where you are in the client.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Definitly get forza horizon 4!

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu: Definitely on the list! Haven't used my Gamepass trial yet so that may be the next step here.

@kefrentz: good to know. My second monitor is 120hz but I've just got it plugged in via HDMI and it doesn't look like this cable supports anything higher. I'll probably go out soon and grab an HDMI 2.0 cord so I can avoid this potential issue. Definitely gonna look into the streaming restrictions on Netflix and such and see what I can do.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

The games I really recommend trying out are Doom, Destiny 2, and Titanfall 2. All of them run really well with high framerates for most cards and are going to really pop at high framerates. Enjoy!

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Play video games! With fast cars in them!

SniperXan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ketta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found Rainbow 6 Siege to be a fairly good showcase. By the way, if you figure out how to get GSync working in Linux at any time with that monitor let me know. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forget video, play some video games. It's what these monitors are built for. Like Rorie said, download Titanfall 2 or even Forza Horizon 4 and never go back.

kefrentz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_nubster: I will say that the windows Netflix app (I didn't even know it existed) looks great on my monitor, the app itself has some issues, but once the video is streaming it looks really nice.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Dan_CiTi

SNES roms, what PCs were made for.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@floydeo:Wow test ufo called me out for having too many tabs open.. brutal. :( Thanks for these!

@ketta:I'll keep you in mind if I decide to make the switch to Linux! Don't expect any useful insight from me in the meantime though, haha.

@kefrentz:There's a Netflix windows app? No idea that existed either. I'll take a look at it!

@rorie:I forgot I owned Destiny 2 and Titanfall 2 both. Been meaning to play the SP of Titanfall 2, so I'll get to that one next.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The most striking thing to experience on a high frame rate monitor is definitely a shooter with mouse & keyboard. Visually it's obviously very impressive in motion, but it's mostly the feel of it that really sets it apart from 60hz. I know my 4k HDR x930f is a much better looking screen in terms of black levels, colour range and overall picture quality, but there is absolutely no way I can play a shooter on anything but my 165hz monitor now. You kinda can't go back once you tried it. So in that vein, best ways to try it out would be DOOM or Quake Champions. Could also try Overwatch, or Titanfall 2 if anyone is still playing that.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Become best friends with Rorie.

MVHVTMV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's funny to hear people talking about how things feel too small at 1440p. I've been using a 1440p monitor for nearly 5 years, and I'm currently at the point where 1080p feels like a bit of a claustrophobic blurry mess.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mvhvtmv: It's the change from 1080 to 1440. I'm rapidly getting used to it. When I put a window on my old monitor, it seems way too zoomed-in and kinda blurry.

pappafost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pappafost

Battlefield 1 is what made me a believer in high refresh rate monitors. The feeling of smoothness is uncanny. It's actually somewhat of an unfair advantage if you think about it. Two people see each other at the same time, one person responds at 144 hz and the other person responds at 60 hz. Try not to think too much about it ;)

I find that for anything competitive, try to prioritize resolution and frame rate over graphic settings. You could check out Ring of Elysium. It looks better than PUBG when set to low graphics settings, and has double the frame rate.

While 1440p isn't 4K (insert epic marketing music) it is the perfect sweet spot because it's a substantial visual upgrade from 1080p, and still achieves good frame rates.

Also, I increased the Windows 10 display scaling to 120% so everything wasn't so tiny.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

1440p and Netflix do not play well together. First of all, you'll need to upgrade to the 4K version of Netflix to get any resolution over 1080p (it's a few bucks more a month I believe). Secondly, getting netflix to display high resolutions on a PC is a major hassle. To even get 1080p, you need to use the windows app or MS edge browser. To get over 1080p, you need to have a 4K monitor that is compliant with the newest HDCP standards as well as a Kaby Lake CPU.

Having a 1440p monitor, unfortunately, does essentially nothing to enhance your netflix viewing experience. In fact, it may well make it worse since 1080p images don't scale onto a 1440p screen at an even pixel ratio, so things might look a bit blurry.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember the first time i played a game on 166hz Glorious! It's like your senses are enhanced but they totally aren't.