I Have a Shmup Problem

JerkFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By JerkFace

So I'm recently finding myself with an unquenchable thirst for shmups.  Despite this, I'm fairly new to the genre and I'm looking for any feedback on some good ones I might be able to get my hands on.

I'll briefly list the ones I have at the moment:

Raiden Fighters Aces
Raiden IV
Ikaruga
War-Tech: Senko no Ronde (I know, I know.  It's weird and somewhat terrible, but MAN are those 'chievos easy to get!)

I have a 360 currently, and I'm not morally opposed to using emulators for anything older.  I also hear there are some good indie shmups built for PC, which I'm intrigued by.  So what do you guys think? I need my Bullet Hell fix!

JerkFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JerkFace

So I'm recently finding myself with an unquenchable thirst for shmups.  Despite this, I'm fairly new to the genre and I'm looking for any feedback on some good ones I might be able to get my hands on.

I'll briefly list the ones I have at the moment:

Raiden Fighters Aces
Raiden IV
Ikaruga
War-Tech: Senko no Ronde (I know, I know.  It's weird and somewhat terrible, but MAN are those 'chievos easy to get!)

I have a 360 currently, and I'm not morally opposed to using emulators for anything older.  I also hear there are some good indie shmups built for PC, which I'm intrigued by.  So what do you guys think? I need my Bullet Hell fix!

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By ArcBorealis

If you got a DS, Bangai-O Spirits is something worth checking. It's not a traditional shmup as in vertical or horizontal scrolling, but there's LOTS of shooting.  
Plus it's challenging, but personally, it wasn't brutally tough as many reviewers made it out to be, but that's probably because I could pick up the controls and gameplay pretty quick. Once you know how it works, alot of it becomes a breeze.

JerkFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JerkFace

I do have a DS, and I've been looking for something new to play that doesn't involve my pokemans.  Thanks!

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Linkyshinks
JerkFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JerkFace
@Linkyshinks: 

Senko no Ronde is really interesting, isn't it?  It's not great, but the whole 1-on-1 fighting turning to straight up bullet hell action is kind of awesome.  Best $2.99 I've ever spent.  I didn't know there was a sequel!  I'll definitely be looking into that.

Right now I have an SNES, Genesis, and a GBA.  Lots of good stuff on the Saturn, then?
noe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By noe

There's R-Type Dimensions on XBLA. It is a horizontal scrolling shooter. Also check out 1942: Joint Strike on XBLA.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Linkyshinks

Just added the video above dude ;) I agree, it is cool, there's aspects to the original that could be easily improved upon, hopefully the games sequel will do that. 

The very best stuff is on Saturn :)..and a choice few on Japanese PS1 

There's MUSHA on Genesis.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By MikkaQ

If you haven't played through any of the DonPachi games, dude, do it! DoDonPachi is my favorite shmup.

noe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By noe
JerkFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JerkFace
@noe: 

I have demos for both of those waiting for me at home.  And if Ikaruga is any indication, I bet Radiant Silvergun is really good.
JerkFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JerkFace
@XII_Sniper: 

Dude.  That does look really awesome.  I need to get some of that in my life.  I think I might have to get my hands on a Saturn, like Linkyshinks said.
raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By raviolisumo

I believe the standard edition of that game is region free for 360. Good luck!
noe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By noe

I love me some Ikaruga.  Also, have you played any of the Gradius games. Those are good too. You can find at least one Gradius game on almost every platform.

UnoGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By UnoGenius
@Linkyshinks said:
" I'm a collector of games in the genre. Your first purchase should be a Sega Saturn ;) 

The sequel to Senko no Ronde - "DUO" looks pretty cool. I've posted details on the game somewhere in the 360 forum 

There's a few bullet hell shooters on DS and DSiWare. Here's one:  http://www.giantbomb.com/dsiware/60-106/ketsui-death-label-creators-bring-another-shooter-to-dsiware/35-259590/#3 What platforms do you have, including retro one's ? "
They made another game like War Tech wtf?
JerkFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JerkFace
@noe: 

There's a couple on XBLA.  Got the demos for those waiting for me, too!
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MikkaQ
@JerkFace:  A saturn is a good move, there's some tight shmups on there, problem is there's japan exclusives like Radiant Silvergun, which in japan costs an arm, a leg, and your eternal soul. But you can also import DoDonPachi on playstation from what I can see. 

You can get one of the other DonPachi games, dodonpachi dai ou jou black label extra for the xbox 360. Once again... import. 

You could always emulate them in MAME or something, but that's not exactly legal or commendable in any way shape or form.
JerkFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JerkFace
@Wes899: 

Good God does that look crazy.  Ha ha.. Thanks for the tip!
raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By raviolisumo
Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Tiwi

get mushihime. great game, but it cost me 70 dollar. it's allso entirely in japanese, and is difficult like hell. 

ikaruga is also great, you should prolly get that.

JerkFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JerkFace
@Wes899: 
@XII_Sniper: 

Damn!  I was trying to find out if  DoDonPachi DAI-OU-JOU Black Label EXTRA was region free, and you answered my question.  I can't justify getting an import 360 at this stage in my life!

That game looks great though.
JerkFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JerkFace
Quater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Quater

Check out the Touhou games, that's a damn fine series that manages to combine crazy bullet madness with a relatively accessible difficulty curve (like the DonPachi games and a lot of other Cave shmups, it's insane to look at but the minuscule hitbox makes the game actually somewhat easier than you'd expect). Anything by Kenta Cho (crap, no Giant Bomb page! Must add that to the wiki to-do list...) is always worth a look. If you're interested in a serious old-school challenge, check out the original Raiden and some other golden oldies like the old 1942 games - people think Ikaruga is tough, but the first Raiden was murder. Slower ship speed, MASSIVE hitbox, and all the enemies are actually aiming for you rather than firing out predictable patterns. That game is hard

Beyond that, I'm afraid if you're not willing to get into MAME or some other method of arcade emulation, you're going to have to trawl through your import options and still miss out on a whole lot of all-time classics. 

Edit: For more Indie goodnes, somewhere like this is a good place to start.

Mobius1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mobius1

1944 The Loop Master
The Raiden Project (Raiden 1 and 2)
Sonic Wings (Aero Fighters) 1,2,3 
 ESP Ra.De.
 Ibara

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By ajamafalous

Touhou.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By Jost1

Don't worry it happens to a lot of boys your age...wait what was the problem again?

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LiquidSwords

Espgaluda II Black Label   
Imperishable Night    (This one can be downloaded online)
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By animateria

Imperishable Night is from the Touhou series... Only available on the PC. 

Touhou is an indie 'curtain shooter', or bullet hell shmup series (made by one guy named Zun), but it's hard to call it an indie shooter when it has a convention dedicated to it every year.

Anyways here's a vid from Mountain of Faith, last boss on Lunatic difficulty. 

You'll need to play with a controller on the PC though, there's a focus button that requires holding down to slow down the character movement and it reveals the true hitbox of your character. It overwhelms the keyboard input limit (That's like what 3 buttons?) unless you have those special keyboards that can read more.
EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EVO

It's not a shmup in the traditional sense, but Rez loans just as much of it's ideas off shmups as it does from on-rail shooters.

JerkFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JerkFace

I really appreciate all the great feedback, gang.  It seems like the Touhou games need looked into, for sure.  Anyone know of a good place to find any of them online?  I've done a little searching (admittedly a little) this afternoon, and can't seem to find a good spot.  The fact that I can't read Japanese may be hindering this, I suspect!

JerkFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JerkFace
@EVO:   Rez is great!
EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By EVO
@JerkFace:  Well, now that my obligatory Rez recommendation is out of the way, have you played R-Type III?
JerkFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JerkFace
@EVO: 

Yes, I have.  The R-Type series never really did it for me, for whatever reason.  Perhaps something about the pacing or the maneuverability of the ship.  But the third one is definitely the best.
EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By EVO
@JerkFace:  OK then, what about this:

On PC and PS3.
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Emilio
JerkFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JerkFace
@Linkyshinks: 

That looks pretty gross!  Hah.
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Emilio
@Linkyshinks:  
That kinda reminds me of Omega Five

Anyone play Omega Five? Is is a very Japanese game...
FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FCKSNAP

You could always try Cho Ren Sha 68k. It's free and the first thing I install on any machine I've put together since I was in middle school. It's like breaking a bottle of wine on the maiden voyage.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By The_A_Drain

I have WarTech, no idea why I bought it lol it's not even a great SHMUP. But I couldn't stop playing it for some reason. 

I would suggest Espgaluda II for iPhone, it's really great. Ummm, don't really know anymore that are readily available outside of Japan other than some more old classics like R-Type. 

EDIT: There's an Xbox Indie title called OneUp or something like that, pretty neat little Shmup for like a dollar where instead of getting extra lives, every time you earn one it flies right onto the screen and joins in.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39  Edited By aurahack
Raiden Project for PS1 @_@ 

There's also the Castle Shikigami series for PS2/Wii that's pretty okay. Oh, and there's Triggerheart Excelica on XBLA. 

Edit: Oh, and be cool and avoid the Touhou games. Or just play one and be content that they're all the same.  
Edit edit: OH SHIT i almost forgot. Not a shmup, more 2D shooter like Gradius or R-Type but duuuude. Einhander. Best PS1 shooter, bar none.
JerkFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JerkFace
@aurahack: 

I tried the Touhou games and totally agree.  It's incredible what a basically one-man team put together, but beyond that?  Meh.

I picked up Triggerheart Excelica.  Pretty good stuff.  I dig the added mechanic of the crazy grapple beam thing.

And @The_A_Drain:   That ' Shoot 1UP' is pretty good.  Especially for a dollar!

@Emilio:   I'll have to check out the demo of that.
JerkFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By JerkFace
@Snapstacle:   That looks pretty good, actually.  I'm going to have to check that out when I get home.