I just did the math for game prices and...

• 84 results
h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By h0lgr

Here in Sweden we seem to have the most expensive games on earth (?)

I read about you people in the US paying 50-something bucks for a new game and not liking it.
 At Gamestop Sweden, I'd have to pay 97.80$ for a new copy of Infamous, used I'd have to pay 83.81$.
And that's not something I'm ready to pay for a game I'd get sick of after a week or two.

This seems kind of unfair, don't you think? :)

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By jkz

Well it's 60 dollars for a new console game, but yes, I've heard horror-stories of the game-price-inflation going on overseas

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By torus

This is where using your PC for games and Steam comes in handy.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By giyanks22
@h0lgr said:

" Here in Sweden we seem to have the most expensive games on earth (?)  I read about you people in the US paying 50-something bucks for a new game and not liking it.  At Gamestop Sweden, I'd have to pay 97.80$ for a new copy of Infamous, used I'd have to pay 83.81$. And that's not something I'm ready to pay for a game I'd get sick of after a week or two. This seems kind of unfair, don't you think? :) "

Is that 97 US dollars or Swedish Krona??? I know you put a Dollar sign and all, but I don't know what the Swedish Krona sign looks like....
bekern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bekern

I don't think you can just do conversions like that because the economy where you live is not the same as in the US. You guys may get higher wages there(when converted to dollars) then we do over here for instance, so it'd even out the difference.

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By h0lgr
@torus: That's exactly what I do :D 

Really, PC gamers are getting EVERYTHING; Cheaper games, customizable graphics and controls, mods, community, free map packs (usually)
I've got a PS3 and a 360, as well as a quality PC. Games usually end up on my PC instead of my consoles.
h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By h0lgr
@bekern: Actually I'd like to know where that money comes from, since we get almost double your tax, plus our gas prices are also double here. But still, being a gamer, this puts me and my wallet to shame. Choosing between games or food for the week is really hard. :)
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic

new games here in israel cost 100+ american dollars  for consoles and  55-65 american dollars for PC .....

Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By auspiciousqueue

That is just ridiculous. It does make me appreciate the prices here.  

Just a question though, does the price of the standard of living balance out the amount spent for a game in European countries?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By JJOR64

That's a bummer.  :(

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#11  Edited By citizenkane

Yeah, overseas prices for games are a bitch.  Tough luck, dude.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By jeffgoldblum

Comparing two prices isnt math...

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By h0lgr
@auspiciousqueue: 
I'd say it does... We have free healthcare, care for homeless (there's almost no homeless people in northern Sweden, at least I haven't seen any), free schools + school food, etc etc
really the list just goes on. 

But yeah, since I'm a gamer, it kind of pisses me off. 349 Swedish kroner is 2400 MS points, versus $29,99 in the US. 349kr is about $50 converted.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jkz
@JeffGoldblum said:
" Comparing two prices isnt math... "
I'm quite certain he meant converting Swedish (Krona was it?) to USD
h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By h0lgr
@JeffGoldblum said:

" Comparing two prices isnt math... "

Actually, by "the math", I mean converting my currency to US dollars, not the prices themselves.
EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EdIsCool

I've always marvelled at how well educated(socially) Swedish and scandinavian people must be to constantly vote for high taxes so that society can be more equal.
Props to you guys.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RsistncE
@bekern said:
" I don't think you can just do conversions like that because the economy where you live is not the same as in the US. You guys may get higher wages there(when converted to dollars) then we do over here for instance, so it'd even out the difference. "
That shouldn't matter. So if you make more money things should cost you more? That's faulty logic.
RiddleBrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RiddleBrother

also, consider importing games. I believe the ps3 is region free (but check elsewhere first). That means, if you pay $60 for a new ps3 game and $10 to get it shipped to you, you're still saving about 20 bucks.

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EdIsCool
@RsistncE said:

" @bekern said:

" I don't think you can just do conversions like that because the economy where you live is not the same as in the US. You guys may get higher wages there(when converted to dollars) then we do over here for instance, so it'd even out the difference. "
That shouldn't matter. So if you make more money things should cost you more? That's faulty logic. "
If the people can pay more, I can get away with charging more.Price is whatever the market will bear.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Black_Rose

Pretty much the same over here in Venezuela. New games are $110 and used 80$.

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By h0lgr
@EdIsCool said:

" I've always marvelled at how well educated(socially) Swedish and scandinavian people must be to constantly vote for high taxes so that society can be more equal. Props to you guys. "

I guess that kind of makes sense, but you should really give the props to the, well I guess the "founding fathers" of modern Sweden... Before this society, Sweden was a country consisting of a really, really, really rich king and buttloads of poor hard-working farmers. Really. Nowadays, it's a great society to live in.
**EDIT**: Well, except the fucking game prices. Damnit.
demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By demonbear

In Canada its usually US prices + 10$ so 70 for a new release.... The trick is to wait for them to get to the bargain bin to 20 or 30$. And they all end up there.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The_A_Drain

This argument is older than time. Usually we all sit here and bitch about paying a few extra *currency* because we're from Europe/UK/Canada/Australia, but then someone from Mexico or somewhere in Asia posts something that blows us the hell out of the water, paying hundreds of USD for games that are censored or almost impossible to actually get hold of etc etc. 

Yes, we pay more, but there is always someone much worse off than you, and if you came to the conclusion Sweden pays the most, you're doing it wrong.
Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By buzz_killington
@demonbear said:

"In Canada its usually US prices + 10$ so 70 for a new release.... The trick is to wait for them to get to the bargain bin to 20 or 30$. And they all end up there. "

Yeah at first it's $10 more expensive, but when the price drops its the same as US.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RsistncE
@EdIsCool: That's not how it works. How it works is if people are *willing* to pay more. Just because someone makes more money doesn't mean they are willing to pay more. A consumer will only pay up the area under the demand curve that fills in their consumer surplus. They won't pay anymore than that because the product no longer has positive utility to them.
h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By h0lgr
@The_A_Drain said:
" This argument is older than time. Usually we all sit here and bitch about paying a few extra *currency* because we're from Europe/UK/Canada/Australia, but then someone from Mexico or somewhere in Asia posts something that blows us the hell out of the water, paying hundreds of USD for games that are censored or almost impossible to actually get hold of etc etc.  Yes, we pay more, but there is always someone much worse off than you, and if you came to the conclusion Sweden pays the most, you're doing it wrong. "
This is why I put a question mark in the BEGINNING of my post. And look! I got a great discussion going.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@The_A_Drain said:
" This argument is older than time. Usually we all sit here and bitch about paying a few extra *currency* because we're from Europe/UK/Canada/Australia, but then someone from Mexico or somewhere in Asia posts something that blows us the hell out of the water, paying hundreds of USD for games that are censored or almost impossible to actually get hold of etc etc.  Yes, we pay more, but there is always someone much worse off than you, and if you came to the conclusion Sweden pays the most, you're doing it wrong. "

what do u think of these prices? : 

@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" new games here in israel cost 100+ american dollars  for consoles and  55-65 american dollars for PC ..... "
jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28  Edited By jonnyboy
@torus: I live in the UK and haven't bought anything on steam since they changed the store from USD to GBP, even after they added 17.5% Vat is was still a steal to buy in USD. As it stands now other than the steam bundles it's still cheaper to buy 2nd hand copies on ebay.
Spike94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Spike94
@torus said:
"This is where using your PC for games and Steam comes in handy. "

Not if you are a console gamer, my friend. ;) 
Though I do adore Steam and my PC.
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By damnboyadvance

Come to America. Prices for our games are cheaper, so why not?

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By h0lgr
@damnboyadvance: A plane ride there would probably cost about 10 new console games... so I guess I won't.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Karl_Boss
@demonbear said:
" In Canada its usually US prices + 10$ so 70 for a new release.... The trick is to wait for them to get to the bargain bin to 20 or 30$. And they all end up there. "
Yeah I'm a bargain bin shopper....even though I live in the US.
KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By KillaMaStA

I paid 104$ for a copy of Infamous so there! 

Estonia sucks more than sweden! I win....yaaayyy   :(

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By iam3green

it must suck to be paying $100 for a new game :(  in america it's $60 for a new game, for the PC it's $50. i just thoguth i would let u know. 

i'm hoping that the games stay at $60. it's a bit pricey but it seems like every time a new system comes out games come up $10. i remember somewhere some developer said that games should be $20 a game. i would also like that. i think it would lead to more people playing video games.

farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By farmer
@RsistncE said:
" @bekern said:
That shouldn't matter. So if you make more money things should cost you more? That's faulty logic. "
That is, in fact, very basic economics.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36  Edited By Suicrat

The cost of "free" education, "free" healthcare, and forced charity (welfare) are absorbed into the cost of doing business (via corporate taxes) which are then absorbed into the cost of goods, services, and consumer products.

KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By KillaMaStA
@Farmer said:
" @RsistncE said:
" @bekern said:
That is, in fact, very basic economics. "
In Estonia at least that really isnt the case. US actually has higher wages than us I think. The prices for video games just suck here because they are still treated as crazy alien technology. Plus theres practically no demand for them here either, I think that Estonia honestly got like 50 copies of Infamous overall and we JUST got them.
Everything else has normal prices, There are less than 10 stores in Estonia that even have ps3 games I think.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RsistncE
@Farmer: Hahaha no, it's not. I already fixed that up and explained how much customers are willing to pay for something a little bit further up.
farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By farmer
@RsistncE: I do apologise, I seem to have missed your other post. You're right, I forgot to take the willingness to pay into account.
EDIT: I fail to see the humour.
farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By farmer
@KillaMaStA said:
" @Farmer said:
" @RsistncE said:
" @bekern said:
In Estonia at least that really isnt the case. US actually has higher wages than us I think. The prices for video games just suck here because they are still treated as crazy alien technology. Plus theres practically no demand for them here either, I think that Estonia honestly got like 50 copies of Infamous overall and we JUST got them.Everything else has normal prices, There are less than 10 stores in Estonia that even have ps3 games I think. "
Out of interest, are games that make it to Estonia translated into Estonian? I can't imagine that to be the case.
h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By h0lgr
@Farmer said:
" @KillaMaStA said:
" @Farmer said:
" @RsistncE said:
" @bekern said:
In Estonia at least that really isnt the case. US actually has higher wages than us I think. The prices for video games just suck here because they are still treated as crazy alien technology. Plus theres practically no demand for them here either, I think that Estonia honestly got like 50 copies of Infamous overall and we JUST got them.Everything else has normal prices, There are less than 10 stores in Estonia that even have ps3 games I think. "
Out of interest, are games that make it to Estonia translated into Estonian? I can't imagine that to be the case. "
No games in Europe are really translated from English. Except I guess for Germany. They seem to translate everything..
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Whisperkill
@h0lgr said:
" @auspiciousqueue: 
I'd say it does... We have free healthcare, care for homeless (there's almost no homeless people in northern Sweden, at least I haven't seen any), free schools + school food, etc etc

But yeah, since I'm a gamer, it kind of pisses me off. 349 Swedish kroner is 2400 MS points, versus $29,99 in the US. 349kr is about $50 converted. "

sucks doesnt it, having the government steal all of YOUR hard earned money, and giving it to people who dont deserve it... thats why im a republican
angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By angelkanarias

welcome to the club, Europe in a whole suffers from this stupid conversion system

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ryanwho

You have a much higher minimum wage.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Suicrat
@Whisperkill: And how many hundreds of billions of dollars did GW Bush give to failing banks and insurance companies? And how much did he spend on subsidies?

That's right, hundreds of billions of dollars.

I admire your desire to end forced wealth transfers, but claiming Republicans have any historical background to draw upon in that regard is simply inaccurate.
h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By h0lgr
@Whisperkill said:
" @h0lgr said:
" @auspiciousqueue: 

But yeah, since I'm a gamer, it kind of pisses me off. 349 Swedish kroner is 2400 MS points, versus $29,99 in the US. 349kr is about $50 converted. "
sucks doesnt it, having the government steal all of YOUR hard earned money, and giving it to people who dont deserve it... thats why im a republican "
Yeah, well, at least we aren't afraid of our "government". Besides, how come free healthcare for me, free schoo for me, free schoolfood for me is "people who don't deserve it"?
Really, narrow minded people like you...
But this is getting way outta hand, way off topic. Sorry guys.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Suicrat
@h0lgr: If you deserve something, you can earn it in a free market. If you can't acquire something without stealing it or distorting the marketplace to get it, then you don't deserve it.

And bullshit Swedes have no reason to be afraid of their government. The "anti-piracy" bill they passed into law last year did nothing to end piracy, but heavily mitigated internet freedom.  Never mind the fact that Sweden's government doesn't allow its people to prosecute trespassers.
h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By h0lgr
@Suicrat said:

" @h0lgr: If you deserve something, you can earn it in a free market. If you can't acquire something without stealing it or distorting the marketplace to get it, then you don't deserve it.  And bullshit Swedes have no reason to be afraid of their government. The "anti-piracy" bill they passed into law last year did nothing to end piracy, but heavily mitigated internet freedom.  Never mind the fact that Sweden's government doesn't allow its people to prosecute trespassers. "

Excuse me? Healthcare should be a market? What the fuck? I should earn my healthcare?
EDIT: See what you mean now, text can be mad confusing considering irony.
But yeah, prosecuting trespassers... I'm not exactly sure what you are refering to here. Trespassers on my property or trespassing piracy-wise?
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Suicrat
@h0lgr: Yes, just like you should earn any value you wish to acquire. I know, it's a crazy thing for anyone born in Europe or Canada to understand. But all goods require effort, and if you don't produce the effort yourself, then you should give the producer commensurate value for that effort.

And like I said, you may not be afraid of your government, but it doesn't change the fact that they gave you the right to nomadism in lieu of the right to own the product of your own mind.
EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By EdIsCool

Well beats your government lying to the people,starting an illegal war, making the country the most hated it has ever been, ruining the economy,setting up juicy contracts for their buddies in iraq, causing a minimum 92,000 civilian casualties estimated  in iraq,wasting stupid amounts of money on weapons while leaving New Orleans in a mess. 
Homophobia, abandonment of the most vulnerbale,individualism of the most sickening kind.Ignorance, 
anti intellectualism,nepotism,outing an agent...You are an intelligent guy but campaign under something other than being a Republican.
I would lick the sweat off Barack's ballsack before I will have any respect for a republican.