I miss "This Is The Run" with Dan and Vinny :( *spoiler...maybe???*

• 51 results
big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

I know it's only been a few weeks since the last episode but I really miss that series. It was probably my favorite piece of GB content since Metal Gear Scanlon and/or Project B.E.A.S.T.

If they bring it back for a season 2, what game do you think they should conquer next?

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I am the exact opposite and found it to be the worst stuff they've done so far. Watching someone struggle to beat a game is not fun. I only watched the first and last episode and will probably do the same if they do it again.

Picky_Bugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Picky_Bugger

@puchiko: You really missed out. They hardly struggled to beat the game, it was a series of constant development.

This is the run Factorio please,

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm positive they will continue the series. I got the impression people were generally loving it, I mean they even sold a shirt that Fobwashed designed.

I especially loved the live streams they did, just a quick 30-40 minutes or whatever.

EDIT: Regarding the next game, Battletoads is one hard co-op game that comes to mind. And the Rare Replay version fixed that glitch issue.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they continue coming back to it with different games, it was really fun to watch.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This series was amazing, really looking forward to whatever they Run next.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@puchiko: Don't you care about their commentary (on the game and other stuff?) or is that too difficult to focus on when they are not playing "well"? I rarely get psyched about the featured game alone, especially if there's a duo like Dan & Vinny involved. Their silly conversations are the main draw for me.

boatorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They played a game once and beat it, I'm not sure what the big deal is.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bad dudes vs dragon ninja.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Since you mention Project B.E.A.S.T., it would be cool to see a return of that at some point. Maybe try to go to Kerbel-Mars or something?

But for a new This is the Run....I don't know actually. Arcade style games like some of the old TMNT games would work. I'm trying to think of something different, but I'm drawing a blank.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By big_denim

I loved just seeing them learn the ins and outs of the level and work to keep each other in check with the various 'gotchya' moments. I also like the length and content style it provides. I know this is isolated to me and other people in a similar situation, but I watch a lot of videos in the background while at work. "This Is The Run" worked better than other series that requires a bit more focus to appreciate. Blue Bombin' is similar in some ways but that is single player focused so you miss out on the moments when one person lets the other down. Those were the best parts of The Run.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sums up how I feel about all the episodes between...

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I loved their banter so much. . .can't wait for the next one.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since you mention Project B.E.A.S.T., it would be cool to see a return of that at some point. Maybe try to go to Kerbel-Mars or something?

But for a new This is the Run....I don't know actually. Arcade style games like some of the old TMNT games would work. I'm trying to think of something different, but I'm drawing a blank.

I don't think B.E.A.S.T. really works without Austin.

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed the series. Episodes weren't tediously long and Vinny and Dan have great chemistry together. They're real fun to watch. If they continue TITR, then it has to be another Contra game.

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poveren said:

I never cared for Austin. There, I said it. Waypoint sucks too (except for Klepek).

Preach

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poveren: Has nothing to do with this topic, but alright.

badseed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@clagnaught said:

Yeah it's hard to imagine project B.E.A.S.T. without Austin's exasperated cry of VINNY!
It would be fun if they went back for a one shot episode where Austin guests like he did on films and 40s, otherwise I think they should find a new game.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@badseed said:
@jonny_anonymous said:
@clagnaught said:

Yeah it's hard to imagine project B.E.A.S.T. without Austin's exasperated cry of VINNY!

It would be fun if they went back for a one shot episode where Austin guests like he did on films and 40s, otherwise I think they should find a new game.

I could see it working with Vinny, Alex, and Dan. Austin contributed a lot, but I think just having a crew focused on the mission would be enough to create some hijinks. The time for a season 2 of Project B.E.A.S.T. may have passed, but that is still one of my favorite series from last year.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Smash tv could be fun. That's got co op from what I remember.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By Undeadpool

My only problem with it was the video feed would spoil the ending of a given episode.

Shadowjester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the Run Chip 'N Dale: Rescue Rangers. Time it with the re-releases of all the old Disney show games. Not sure if that'd work cause it's been 25+ years since I played that, but sounded like Dan had fond thoughts of it on the Beastcast.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait for it to return. Side note: that sweet 'this is the run' shirt came in the mail yesterday.

applegong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Battletoads?

traglin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By big_denim

@traglin: oh shit! I want that! Did I miss the boat on it? Unfortunately I just used my new $15 premium coupon on yet another pint glass ?

traglin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_denim: Yeah, unfortunately it was a limited run.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Time Crisis game if they can get one working on the studio.

RoboticTrifle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RoboticTrifle

Found it a bit boring honestly, no fun watching Dan and Vinny beat games on the first try.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Found it a bit boring honestly, no fun watching Dan and Vinny beat games on the first try.

Ha!

I thought This is The Run was one of my favourite series so far on the site. Dan + Vinny = gold.

The real one episode "The Run" was the Mike Tyson fight in Punch Out with Dan + Drew

Superharman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 20

I hope so but I have no idea what they'd play. I did love Vinny's idea of trying to beat the original SNES Street Fighter 2 on the hardest difficulty with all characters but agree that it probably isn't doable.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#34  Edited By Mezmero

You can lump me in with people who didn't really care for it. Felt like a fluff piece for a slow season of releases(that turned out not to be so slow). I would've rather had more Quick Looks of random bullshit than even more Let's Play style content that is eating up the production pipeline but that's just me.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@puchiko said:

I am the exact opposite and found it to be the worst stuff they've done so far. Watching someone struggle to beat a game is not fun. I only watched the first and last episode and will probably do the same if they do it again.

The only feature I had to do that with was Metal Gear Scanlon 5. It's kind of a bad game to watch someone else play in the first place, and their energy for that video series seemed pretty low by the time they reached MGS5, and I didn't really care to continue watching Drew struggle to understand basic things like which camo is good for daytime/nighttime.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Dan and Vinny made a delightful team and I would love this!

badseed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the Run Chip 'N Dale: Rescue Rangers. Time it with the re-releases of all the old Disney show games. Not sure if that'd work cause it's been 25+ years since I played that, but sounded like Dan had fond thoughts of it on the Beastcast.

While that is a great game I remember regularly clearing that game with my sister when I was 9 with no trouble at all. It would be over in one episode.

guthwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I really loved "This is the run", too. I thought it was one of the best new features on the site. Contra was a fantastic game for it, could be difficult to find another one that works just as well... But honestly, I wouldn't care so much about the game as long as they're doing a second one!

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Yeah, I really enjoyed that thing. It could have so easily gotten to the point where they got stuck and made no progroess but they kept improving each installment, if only a little. It also helped that I wasn't that familiar with Contra, so both strategies and quirks of level design were new to me. Watching them trying to figure out a hard game and ways to co-operate efficiently made it even better than some of my favorite parts of Vinnyvania too.

But maybe even more than another, single run game I want to see them play more co op. Co op that requires planning and communication.

I should go and rewatch that Cookies and Cream video Dan and Drew did..

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@badseed said:
@jonny_anonymous said:
@clagnaught said:

I could see it working with Vinny, Alex, and Dan. Austin contributed a lot, but I think just having a crew focused on the mission would be enough to create some hijinks. The time for a season 2 of Project B.E.A.S.T. may have passed, but that is still one of my favorite series from last year.

Austin kept the team centred and focused on their goals so the fun\tension came with hoping they make it.

Dan would have them make dick shaped rockets and fire them at the Sun.

RoboticTrifle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_insano: Same, it has been one of my favourite things I have seen on GB. I'm sure they will come back to it at some point.

pompa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the series, but did find myself fast forwarding to the new areas in each video.

They should totally do world of illusion (Mickey and Donald co-op!) or ren and stimpy for the mega drive (genesis) version

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about Sunset Riders? That would fit the mold pretty damn well.

Also, put me in as one of those who loved the feature. The live ones especially. Cheering them on felt like watching your favourite sports team play in the finals.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched a couple episodes but I don't even like repeating stuff in games when I'm the one playing them. Might load them up when I run low on podcasts, like I used to do with Breaking Brad.

I'd rather see Choose Our Own Adventure come back over this, though. Still sad they dropped that so quickly.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree that Austin was vital to the first Project B.E.A.S.T., but I think Dan could work as well. He'd like constantly ask dumb questions about space and Vinny and Alex would give terrible answers. It would be excruciating, but probably kinda fun, to watch.

Picky_Bugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@retris: Sunset Riders would be cool but is it particularly hard? I finished it in the arcade years ago and don't remember having too much trouble.

@gkhan: It would be fun in the same way as watching a particularly dumb pigeon in a lab test trying to solve a puzzle to get treats.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smash tv could be fun. That's got co op from what I remember.

Isn't it totally fucked hard, though? I've basically never played it, but I seem to remember hearing that you had to be savage to finish that without spending a shit-ton of quarters in the arcade.

nickseifert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poveren said:

I never cared for Austin. There, I said it. Waypoint sucks too (except for Klepek).

I completely agree, except Klepek is kind of an asshole now.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was great, but it's also a very time consuming segment to commit too. It's also the sort of thing where it was every week they would get through the suitable games very quickly and it would get it old. It's almost an Endurance Run, but I wouldn't want to see it play long Endurance Run Games. I game that it hard but can be beaten in a 40-60 minute run are the best for this. This specific games that are also fun to watch and play are limited in number.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#50  Edited By Castiel

Dude, relax. Like you say it's only been gone for a couple of weeks. I'm sure they get back to it when they want to get back to it. GB is best when it's driven by the crew's passion and desire to cover/play certain games.

Like someone else said I would rather see Choose Our Own Adventure make a comeback. TITR get's too repetitive.

Glad GB west are playing more Noctropolis though.