Is the "Modern War" the WWII game craze 2.0

Echelon730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Echelon730

So there is no doubt that with the success of "Modern Warfare" and its sequel. But lets be honest how many different ways can developers make an M 16 or a P 90.  There is only so many different "close to reality" stories one can with in the current global political climate.  What is more frustrating to me personally is the fact that nothing takes more than a few shots. I miss the epic bullet sponges and big boss battles in other shooters.  I think that this craze is limiting the creativity of digital artists and designers since by design they are very grounded

With this being said, do you think the "Modern War" is the next craze we will have FPS? If so how long until we start up with something else?

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

It was once Modern Warfare (Call of Duty 4) became so popular and Modern Warfare 2 sold even more. The WWII fad began in the same way.

jlev880

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By jlev880

you betcha 
sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By sixghost

This is the kind of stuff that drives me crazy about game devs. Who cares what time/place your shooter is set in, JUST MAKE A GOOD SHOOTER. The old IW could have set a their FPS on the Moon and still sold billions of copies. It seems like copycat studios always copy the frivolous aspects of games, like the setting, multiplayer modes, perks, etc, yet they never seem to copy the things that made the original game great int he first place, like a steady 60fps and great gameplay. 

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By CoolDrMoney

Hmm, let me think about it. Turned my back and grabbed my gat, and guess what I told him before I shot it? 

Yeah, basically.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By davidwitten22

After this, future war!

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By Marz

i hear zombie games are popular.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Daveyo520

I would say so.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By jonnyboy

Probably, but lets face it, when the most original thing you can do to your game is add zombies to it, it's time to move on. The Medal of Honour WW2 games ran for more years than WW2, and pushing it to a modern setting that the public is clearly willing to accept, is an easier reboot than a different past or future time period.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Skytylz

Next craze?  It's the current craze.

zander1123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By zander1123

It takes two years to develop a video game. It is due to this that many games tend to be comparable to other games released around that time period. Whatever idea was "hot" at that time was turned into a game. 

So you need to look at what happened two years ago. Call of Duty 4 was released and it sold like crazy. Plus the market crashed. So many different publishers looked at that the landscape and said to themselves, we need a game that won't bomb otherwise we will go bankrupt. They saw Call of Duty 4, and pointed at a studio and said make this. So now little over two years later, we, the consumer, are seeing this. There are very few new original IP being released this year and every fifth game seems like a Modern Warfare knock off.  

My guess, this craze will not last as long as WWII stuff. In fact in a year or two I bet it will just be Medal of Honor and CoD left, because due to low market penetration XCOM and Homefront will not have sold well.

PS. I know this is off topic but the market crashing two years ago is the reason this summer of movies hasn't really had anything truly mind blowing. Just a Rule of Thumb, it takes two years to ever fully see the effects of the stock market, applies to almost anything.

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sanryd

Yep. And I'm already burnt out on this one.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bones8677

I would say yes, but fortunately I'd take Modern War over WWII any day. Because we already know how WWII ends, with a modern setting, the game can do whatever it wants.

Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Leo

I say it's time we go back to the future. Battlefield 2142 2, anyone?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yes. And what's funny is how everyone that bitched and whined about WWII shooters will be doing the same damn thing with "modern" shooters in a year or two.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hourai
@Leo said:
" I say it's time we go back to the future. Battlefield 2142 2, anyone? "
Hell yes. Battlefield 2142 was awesome. 
Turtlefuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By Turtlefuzz

I like the modern setting, but only when it's something really special. But that doesn't really happen, ever.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By iam3green

yes, it is the craze right now. EA's medal of honor series wasn't around for a long time since the ps2. they decided to make a new franchise of it being modern day just like every other shooter. it seems like some of it are the same thing. 

medal of honor seems just like bad company 2. it is just something about it that makes it seem like that.

Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Ferginator4k

Short answer : Yes
Long Answer : YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssssssssssssssssssss.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Yeah, it's been the craze since, like, 2008-2009. It's already gotten to the point where I feel a complete and utter disinterest for modern shooters, first person or otherwise. Socom? Meh. Medal of Honor? Meh. Even Homefront, which is near-future I guess? Meh. It all looks the same: Muted colors and uniformed dudes shooting each other with gray guns instead of guns made from pieces of wood and metal. 

What. Ever.

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By DCFGS3

Yeps, methinks future war is next, starting with the aptly named Future Soldier.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

just like Racing game are all about power-ups

fighters going back to 2D

shooters going modern themed

RPG going western

All genres go through fads because they all want a piece of that pie!

Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Wasara88

The thing is that games set to modern day or WW2 era are all pretty much the same game. I mean offcourse there are subtle differences. It's because they all are set in a real events so it would feel strange if the gameplay wouldn't follow the same line. And when everything is grounded in reality there cant be much diversity in gameplay either. There is obviously exceptions to this...wolfenstein or velvet assassin for an example. In future there are endless possibilities but even then there rarely is a scifi game that is something more than modern day war with ray guns and a few gameplay changes that have been seen a thousand times already.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#24  Edited By zidd

The problem is when anyone tries to innovate it either doesn't sell or gets shamelessly ripped off.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheCreamFilling

I hope Bulletstorm does something to alleviate this madness. 

Echelon730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Echelon730

I am not a huge fan of the games but at least Resistance managed to make a mix sic fi with modern at least. I just really think that a good dev shouldn't give a shit about how relatable the concept is, and it should be their job to make the player feel connected.    

People enjoy games that are original and unique, if the devs can make something that people haven't connected with before they are more likely to remember the game and a chance to sell more  

But that is a high risk/high reward idea... business don't like that

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AuthenticM
@Echelon730 said:

" I miss the epic bullet sponges and big boss battles in other shooters. "

You're on your own with that one my friend.
wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
@TheCreamFilling said:
" I hope Bulletstorm does something to alleviate this madness.  "
Same here. It certainly has that "shooter of old" look to it with some crazy ass design stuff that looks like a nice diversion from your staple shooter.
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The next craze is either going futuristic, or over the top old school action.

For example, Ghost Recon and Bulletstorm, but the modern thing will always keep some attention from casuals I spose.

I played Turok a little while back, it's nothing special but the firefights were pretty good, some solid shooting there, none of that bangbang your dead nonsense of the modern war games.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least Portal is holding up the puzzle shooter, all we need know is a gravity gun puzzle game. Someone get on it! 

Or at least start development on Lincoln Force.