Avatar image for holycrapitsadam
holycrapitsadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By holycrapitsadam

As a child of the 80's the NES was the first gaming console that I ever played played and was one of the first home consoles that got "mainstream" appeal and ended up in just about everybody's home. With the Wii also having reached that "mainstream" appeal and being in tons of peoples homes I got to wondering if the Wii is gonna be regarded by the young generation of today as the  pinnacle of their gaming life as the NES was to many a child born in the 80's and early 90's. Will it be remembered as fondly 20 - 30 years down the road or are games and consoles too abundant now for 1 specific to be remembered and held in such high esteem? Is the Wii this generations NES?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

No?

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Aetheldod

Its going to be remembered as the aberration that brought us "motion controls"

ShadowofIntent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ShadowofIntent

No, the NES had good games.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By peacebrother

What are you talking about?

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I suppose you could draw some vague parallels but no, they're vastly different consoles. You must remember that the "mainstream" appeal that the NES had was nowhere near on the level of the "mainstream" appeal that the Wii has received. The NES was also introduced to a market that had been sucked dry by the big video game crash and was aiming to re-invigorate the market, while the Nintendo Wii was introduced on the back of Nintendo's Gamecube falling behind in a thriving market and was the effort to reach out to a never-before-seen console audience through redefinition of how modern consoles used their control interfaces. What's more, while the NES was home to many new first-party IPs and memorable third-party titles, the Wii has a limited library of critically-acclaimed third-party games and first-party games have been entirely based around long-established Nintendo franchises. The NES has also been largely accepted as a classic console by the "core" audience, while many "core gamers" now believe the Wii flags behind the competition in terms of traditional games. That being said I have nothing against the Wii of course, I've loved games like Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxy.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#7  Edited By LordAndrew

I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.

Hammerhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Hammerhead
@ShadowofIntent said:
Agreed. For every one great Wii game the NES has ten.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It's going to be remembered as a casual gimmick with no third party support. It sure sold alot though.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By iam3green

i don't know. i guess it would be considered one, since i grew up playing the NES. the young people grew up with nintendo.

Terry_Bogard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Terry_Bogard
@Hammerhead said:
@ShadowofIntent said:
Agreed. For every one great Wii game the NES has ten.
Nostalgia. NES had one good game. Marble Madness.
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Seeing as how everyone fucking hates it now I don't think it is.  Not in forums anyway.  And forums are what reaally matters overall right right.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Contro

Well Nintendo have said it was designed with the spirit of the NES in mind, which is partly why it possesses subtle design elements which mirror those of the NES.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HandsomeDead

Probably. Just look at all the franchises Nintendo started on the Wii.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#15  Edited By Little_Socrates

Depends how many good games actually get noticed in retrospect on the Wii. Games like Deadly Creatures, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, and Boom Blox are better than a lot of NES games that are remembered out of nostalgia, and though I wasn't around during the NES era, I bet a lot of the better games weren't popular at launch, and some of the worse games to get remembered ( Friday the 13th, for example) are still being remembered with some sort of nostalgia.

Do I think it's likely? Absolutely not. But it is possible.

JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By JB16

It's going to be remembered as the console that said "Fuck you" to its hardcore fanbase, and "Fuck you" to any chance of third party support.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By McGhee

I'm insulted by the very question.

VirtuaXav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By VirtuaXav

For me, definitely not. The games on the Wii don't even compare to some of the awesomeness that came out of the NES. It depends how you look at it though, you'd have to ask all the kids who grew up with the Wii when they're 20-30 years old or something.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Brendan

Not by the people that remember the NES and not by the industry, but kids who grew up with it might.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By Daveyo520

Yes because it is the console made by Nintendo this generation. That is the reason but not for any other really. As in it is not the NES of this generation because it has the same games even though it has sold well.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By ajamafalous

Absolutely not.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By captain_clayman

HELL

NO.

they're similar in the sense that they both sold extremely well, and they're both "revolutionary",though the nes was a practical revolution and the wii is a stupid gimmick.  The difference is that NES had good games.  from 3rd parties as well as 1st party.  and new fresh ideas, instead of 25 year old series rehashes.  and the graphics were better than the competitors at it's time.
Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Patman99

The NES defined a generation. When you played video games back in the day, you said let's play some nintendo, didnt matter if it was a console made by nintendo or not. This generation has kids who play xbox or playstation or wii but none of those terms are used the describe the act of playing video games as a whole. Did the wii have a huge impact? yes! Did it define a generation of young video game players? No! An NES would answer yes to both those questions.

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By SBYM

No, it's this generation's Wii, and the NES is the NES.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Turambar

If by NES of the generation you mean got a ton of new people playing video games, then no.  The DS is the NES of the generation.  Not the Wii.