Is there any positivity left in the gaming community?

• 116 results
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#101  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Apparatus_Unearth: Ah, I misunderstood your original comment. It's absurd for someone to want a game to fully appeal to them, but it's also unrealistic to not complain about anything a developer is doing. A vocal minority can often be formed when a developer is doing something to a game they don't want them to, but sometimes complaints involving a game go beyond that and are valid.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#102  Edited By Yummylee

Borderlands 2 is an awesome game.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#103  Edited By CatsAkimbo

I think there's a difference between being jaded and being negative. The giant bomb crew comes off as jaded to me, but they still love games and hope games coming out are awesome. If they just shat on everything, I would probably never visit this site.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#104  Edited By penguindust

Wanting something good for your money is labelled having a sense of entitlement? I guess so now that I think about it. If I buy some food, I want it to be edible; when I buy a car, I'd like it to run. I think I am entitled to have decent food equal to the money I spend on it.

What I think you mean is why can't people be satisfied. Honestly, I thank God they can't. Not being satisfied forces us to improve. Greed and desire are the greatest motivators towards innovation. Games get better because grouchy people complain that they aren't good enough. That's a good thing in my mind.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#105  Edited By TheHumanDove

@PenguinDust said:

Wanting something good for your money is labelled having a sense of entitlement? I guess so now that I think about it. If I buy some food, I want it to be edible; when I buy a car, I'd like it to run. I think I am entitled to have decent food equal to the money I spend on it.

What I think you mean is why can't people be satisfied. Honestly, I thank God they can't. Not being satisfied forces us to improve. Greed and desire are the greatest motivators towards innovation. Games get better because grouchy people complain that they aren't good enough. That's a good thing in my mind.

Yes, if you dont like something you're an entitled twat apparently. Also your post makes too much sense, so you might want to look to that

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#106  Edited By h0lgr
@PenguinDust said:

The problems come when grouchy people argue in such a way that the games are tailored towards selling more copies, instead of actually improving the qualities of the game itself.
There's so much more at play than just quality, there's marketing, demographics, franchise politics and so on. But I agree with the baseline of your argument.
JackOhara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By JackOhara

@PenguinDust said:

Note: creating a video game is not the same as creating a simple product, like a vacuum cleaner (technical issues aside). A studio creating a video game is often going for something that they like, and they think people like them will want to play. The exception to this is homogenized trash like CoD which is built for the purpose of being consumed by as many people as possible.

It's perfectly OK to not buy a game that you won't like, and no one is demanding you do otherwise. However, it's important to understand the position of your relationship as the consumer, and not the producer. This isn't to say that you shouldn't have an opinion, as a matter of fact developers often survey their respective communities for opinions.

Here's a theory: if developer A is making a game you don't like, don't buy it. I guarantee you that there are more people who feel the exact same way about developer A's product, and if they do the same, there will be a hole in the market. It's only a matter of time before developer B comes along to fill that hole. Observe what has happened to the Splinter Cell series: games slowly morph into something the original community no longer likes, so they stop buying the games. Along comes Dishonored, Mark of the Ninja, etc.

BlindRapture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#108  Edited By BlindRapture

I love video games!

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#109  Edited By _Zombie_

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I like to think the positive gamers are staying away from the comment sections and are actually too busy gaming to be so vocal about such little things. But there are passionate and dedicated gamers out there, ones who champion their underrated titles and fight for the justification of their clunky or intricate mechanics and will stand by their favorite developers until they go down screaming. That, or the developer fucks up the ending. But that's another story.

This is probably it, right here.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Clonedzero

yeah, people seem to enjoy hating on things. its ego boosting i guess? "this game isn't good enough, so im gonna feel good by trash talking it!" makes you feel superior, so i guess thats why its so big these days?

i hated the direction they took RE6, so what did i do? i didnt buy it and i did bitch about it constnatly, i just instead went to talk about how excited i was for AC3 and stuff.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#111  Edited By Genkkaku

The Minority is always the most vocal

InsidiousBliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By InsidiousBliss

@Apparatus_Unearth: Isn't this topic cynical and jaded? :)

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#113  Edited By Peanut

The vocal minority of the games community are a bunch of whiny, egotistical, greedy, self-important pieces of shit. The problem being that most of us slum it with them more often than we should, which makes the community as a whole seem more fucked up than it is.

However, I do think those of us who aren't complete assholes have become incredibly jaded in the last 10 years. I think it may be more magnified now, what with the incredibly long console generation and increased focus on annual franchises and tired retreads dragging everyone into the doldrums. Even as someone who absolutely loves games to the core of my fucking being, I've had very few chances to get legitimately excited in the last few years and it bums me out.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#114  Edited By dichemstys

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Apparatus_Unearth: Ah, I misunderstood your original comment. It's absurd for someone to want a game to fully appeal to them, but it's also unrealistic to not complain about anything a developer is doing. A vocal minority can often be formed when a developer is doing something to a game they don't want them to, but sometimes complaints involving a game go beyond that and are valid.

I agree. I just have a problem with people who complain about everything a developer is doing.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#115  Edited By Ace829

@FLStyle said:

There's no more or less positivity or negativity than before, it's just that more of it is exposed to a larger amount of people, welcome to the digital age.

What this guy said.

Grand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Grand

To be blunt, Mr. Op, we are cynical. We look for flaws and reasons to criticize everything. We refuse to be blindly loyal to a game or a company and we hold everyone to super high expectations.

This makes us REALISTS. We are the ones who make games better and keep gaming going. The problem right now, is that there are WAY too many reasons for us to be cynical and WAY too many genuine criticisms in gaming right now. Gaming has hit kind of a rut. While its in it, you can bet the negativity will continue until we get out of the rut.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's some you: I loved Dishonored. It's my favorite game of the year so far. I think The Walking Dead takes best story, but as far as the combination of storytelling, gameplay, and graphics, Dishonored is astoundingly good. :-)

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#118  Edited By TheHT

XCOM is fantastic! I haven't had a game where the hours pass me by since... well I suppose Oblivion would be the last thing. Man, Oblivion was so good. Knights of the Nine was awesome, and Shivering Isles was cool too. Neither come close to the excitement of first reaching Kvatch and finding utter chaos.

Fighting in the burning city at 10 frames per second. First stepping into the realm of Oblivion and not wanting to go forward. Getting a visit from Lucien Lachance, seeing the Stranger and knowing that's totally the Gray Fox. I didn't get into Skyrim the same way, or even Fallout 3 for that matter. But man, XCOM. I kinda wish there was more to research and build though.