Is there such thing a cheap move?

Leafhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

Edited By Leafhopper

In fighting games the term "spam" and "cheap" are used a lot. I used to say that "If you use the same move over and over that is easy to use you suck". Now I realized something.

If your opponent or if you never dodge, block or punish that move. Why change the formula at all if its safe? Of course if its like an infinite then of course that bullshit but I mean a safe normal, or special move that's easy to use and used a lot. Why change if its effective?

This just dawned on me now.

Leafhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Leafhopper

In fighting games the term "spam" and "cheap" are used a lot. I used to say that "If you use the same move over and over that is easy to use you suck". Now I realized something.

If your opponent or if you never dodge, block or punish that move. Why change the formula at all if its safe? Of course if its like an infinite then of course that bullshit but I mean a safe normal, or special move that's easy to use and used a lot. Why change if its effective?

This just dawned on me now.

bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By bravetoaster

There's no such thing as a cheap move in fighting games.

AceBlack19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By AceBlack19

I've always been of the opinion there isn't such a thing as, "Spamming" or "Cheap." most fighting games (good ones, anyway) offer techniques to combat such a thing.

'course, in the heat of the moment when I lose to the same tactic over and over, I'll be known to use the words anyway. In the back of my mind though, I know its my fault.

Leafhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Leafhopper
@AceBlack19:  "In the back of my mind though, I know its my fault". You know you are right. I agree with you 100% on that fact. That's why I now just get frustrated at myself if someone does it to me rather than them. They were just playing game.

@Axxol: Yup.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Brendan

"Cheap" is usually a good excuse for "I lost".

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Kyreo

If it's in the game, it ain't cheap.

Leafhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Leafhopper
@Kyreo: That's usually what I say now.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#8  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Cheap only really applies to boss or otherwise extremely overpowered characters. For example, I don't think anyone would dispute that Orochi from King of Fighters 97/98 is an absolutley broken character if played by a human being, with his screen filling super and zoning columns of death being nothing but excessively gamebreaking.

However, in all other cases it's mostly an indication of "Use more skill"

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By SSully

I asked my girlfriend to try the mortal kombat demo with me on PS3 because I just wanted to play for 15 mins. First two rounds I showed her the controls and moves for scorpion, the first real round we played she whooped my ass by spamming his teleporting back kick of doom with a mix of random punches and kicks. She refused to play another game, so I am currently 0-1 against my girlfriend who never played a mortal kombat game in her life. How the hell do you think I feel about cheap moves?!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By TheHT

It being in the game doesn't make it not cheap. But just because it's cheap, doesn't mean people should just stop using it (obviously if there's something 'game-breaking' it's up to the devs to fix it). If some move is hitting you all the time, then why wouldn't your opponent use it all the time. Just learn how to deal with that move.

If you can't deal with someone using the same move over and over that's easy to use, they're being cheap, and you suck.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#11  Edited By StarvingGamer

Super Turbo Akuma was pretty cheap back in the day.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
@Axxol said:
" There's no such thing as a cheap move in fighting games. "
Thats bullshit. Fighting games need to be balanced. There are totally cheap moves. If the game is balanced right, sure. But I can't think of a single fighting game without moves that can be exploited.
Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Patman99

I think there can be unbalance in a game. The way unbalance is created is when a large group of the game's community decides that one character/move is too powerful. Then, hopefully, the devs will try and patch/balance the game. If there is not a large outcry then I think it can be considered that it is all fair.  In some games there may be characters that are more noob friendly but from my experience, these characters tend to not go beyond low level play. An experienced player will probably know of or figure out a way to win. A good example of this is SCII. There are some builds that just destroy in bronze league but the success cannot be sustained when taken to the higher leagues. The same idea can be spread out between all genres. In Call of Duty there is the "noob tube" which basically can net a player 1 or 2 kills but not any more due to ammo restrictions. 1 or 2 kills per life may sound good to a newbie but to an experienced COD veteran, that is child's play.

This is strictly speaking from a multiplayer perspective as single player is basically constructed for the player to beat the game, no matter how frustrating it may be getting to the end. 
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Skytylz

In Super Smash Bros on the N64 I got that penalty bonus all the time during arcade mode so yes it's real!

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By IBurningStar

I only consider a move cheap if it is exploiting a flaw in the game.

DaemonBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By DaemonBlack
@Patman99 said:
" I think there can be unbalance in a game. The way unbalance is created is when a large group of the game's community decides that one character/move is too powerful. Then, hopefully, the devs will try and patch/balance the game. If there is not a large outcry then I think it can be considered that it is all fair.  In some games there may be characters that are more noob friendly but from my experience, these characters tend to not go beyond low level play. An experienced player will probably know of or figure out a way to win. A good example of this is SCII. There are some builds that just destroy in bronze league but the success cannot be sustained when taken to the higher leagues. The same idea can be spread out between all genres. In Call of Duty there is the "noob tube" which basically can net a player 1 or 2 kills but not any more due to ammo restrictions. 1 or 2 kills per life may sound good to a newbie but to an experienced COD veteran, that is child's play.

This is strictly speaking from a multiplayer perspective as single player is basically constructed for the player to beat the game, no matter how frustrating it may be getting to the end. 
"
Exactly how I feel. Well said.
Leafhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Leafhopper

I do believe there should be balance and every character should be beatable but if one group of people just starts bitching about a character they should be just patched out of no where.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Yes there is.  And there are ways against cheap moves.  If your being cheap you likely suck and you'll get your ass kicked if all you know how to do is press circle as Sentinel and they find a way around it.  If its in the game its cheap because the devs fucked up and the community knew how to exploit it.  People saying that there is no such thing as cheap means that they believe the games they play have no fault in the balance of a game.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By ReyGitano
@Kyreo said:
" If it's in the game, it ain't cheap. "
Usually my variation of that phrase is "If it's in the game, it ain't cheating", which I believe to be true.

I think things like cheap moves do exist. By definition they're cheap; a move that's easy to pull off and has high payoff. Is there anything wrong with using them? Not in my book, but everyone views their use differently. I'm indifferent as long as I learn a counter, but I also have friends who will do nothing but use cheap moves, and others who just become enraged and unforgiving at their use.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iam3green

yes, i think there is a such thing as a cheap move. a person that keeps on spamming the same move over and over that works. in UFC 09 my friend would just keep on doing lower punches, which caused the fighters to move closer towards each other. he would do that and then when we were close he would kick. it was the combo that he would do a lot.

Leafhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Leafhopper
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" Yes there is.  And there are ways against cheap moves.  If your being cheap you likely suck and you'll get your ass kicked if all you know how to do is press circle as Sentinel and they find a way around it.  If its in the game its cheap because the devs fucked up and the community knew how to exploit it.  People saying that there is no such thing as cheap means that they believe the games they play have no fault in the balance of a game. "
As long as it isn't able to glitch something or causes an infinite its not cheap to me...well at least it isnt now. Despite that, a game can still be unbalanced to hell.
@SlashseveN303
said:
" @Kyreo said:
Usually my variation of that phrase is "If it's in the game, it ain't cheating", which I believe to be true.

I think things like cheap moves do exist. By definition they're cheap; a move that's easy to pull off and has high payoff. Is there anything wrong with using them? Not in my book, but everyone views their use differently. I'm indifferent as long as I learn a counter, but I also have friends who will do nothing but use cheap moves, and others who just become enraged and unforgiving at their use.
"
That's fair enough.
gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#22  Edited By gla55jAw
@Kyreo said:
scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By scarace360

NO if you say cheap or unfair it just shows how much of a noob you are. Now you wanna see cheap play sf2 and do the invisible throw people will get pissed.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@Leafhopper: Its cheap at low level and stupid at higher levels.

Cheap definition.

3. Achieved with little effort
Leafhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Leafhopper
@scarace360 said:
" NO if you say cheap or unfair it just shows how much of a noob you are. Now you wanna see cheap play sf2 and do the invisible throw people will get pissed. "
Don't get me started with SF2 man lol.

@SethPhotopoulos said:
" @Leafhopper: Its cheap at low level and stupid at higher levels."
You know what? That sums up nicely.
scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By scarace360
@Leafhopper said:
" @scarace360 said:
" NO if you say cheap or unfair it just shows how much of a noob you are. Now you wanna see cheap play sf2 and do the invisible throw people will get pissed. "

@SethPhotopoulos said:
You know what? That sums up nicely. "
Start with sf2 its like when CVS2 came out and people said sagat was cheap.  If people think its cheap there gonna try harder to beat it and over time it will become easy to beat. Shit is only cheap at a low level.
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@scarace360 said:
" @Leafhopper said:
" @scarace360 said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:
Start with sf2 its like when CVS2 came out and people said sagat was cheap.  If people think its cheap there gonna try harder to beat it and over time it will become easy to beat. Shit is only cheap at a low level. "
Absolutely.
Leafhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Leafhopper
@scarace360 said:
@SethPhotopoulos said:
Start with sf2 its like when CVS2 came out and people said sagat was cheap.  If people think its cheap there gonna try harder to beat it and over time it will become easy to beat. Shit is only cheap at a low level. "
That makes a lot of sense. It explains when people are watching matches of a tourney players and all they think it is spamming. That really does shed light on this.
soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By soldierg654342

For me, calling a move "cheap" has to do with my own personal honor code.

In my my very brief time recently with SSF4, the only people I fought were Sagat and Ryu, and all they would do would be throw fireballs so I would have to jump over them so they could uppercut me. There was one time where I fought some guy playing as Guile, and he spent twenty seconds crouched in the corner not moving so he could flash kick me when I got close. 

While they are both legitimate tactics, I consider both to be dishonorable play style. And while it's incredibly true that I could have learn strategies to counter thoes tactics, seeing what the online community was lick combined with the MK demo sapped any desire to get good at the game. 
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ajamafalous
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" Cheap definition.

3. Achieved with little effort "
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Diedara in Naruto UNS2.  You can literally spam a single button and you won't get touched vs. the hardest difficulty bots, and as far as I know it's impossible to beat vs. a human too.

But other than simply retardedly unbalanced things, no.  If it's in the game and the game has some balance, nothing is really cheap.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By scarace360
@Leafhopper said:
" @scarace360 said:
@SethPhotopoulos said:
That makes a lot of sense. It explains when people are watching matches of a tourney players and all they think it is spamming. That really does shed light on this. "
YES! 
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By keyhunter

Soul Calibur's Kilik is pretty "cheap". Anyone who uses him is an asshole.

JoMu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By JoMu

I remember in Primal Rage if you spam the same special move over and over, it would put up a "No Cheese" symbol on screen and lock out that move temporarily.