Is Violence one of the most important things in a video game?

generic_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By generic_ninja

Every game I play has some sort of violence, Viva Pinata you hit furry cute pinata's over the head to kill them thats violence, Fallout 3 enough said but the question is do we really need that much violence in video games to enjoy them as much as we do?

Keano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Keano

your right........We need MORE!!!!!!!!!

More violence and more Tities

caption
caption

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Black_Rose

No, gameplay and graphics are.

But if you look it that way then every game has violence, which is kinda dumb.

generic_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By generic_ninja

You gotta admit though only games that i've played that dont have violence in them is like Brain age and who knows mabey it still does cause it hurts my brain T.T

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By MasturbatingBear

One of the dumbest questions ive ever heard. Only important things are gameplay and in most cases a story. also the game cant be completely broken with shitty controls.

generic_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By generic_ninja

The gameplay however uses violence as a way to bring in more people, like seriously people always wanna get headshots!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187

Most conflicts can not be resolved without violence, so it would seem.  Even something like Katamari Damacy, where you roll a big ball around over people and turn them into stars, can be seen as violence by some people.

Honestly, I don't care if there is violence.  Should kids be playing it?  I'm still an old-school kind of person and believe that it's reserved for a certain age.  I'm not gonna sugarcoat something to a kid if he asks about it.  However, I'm not going to be like "sure, you can play Gears of War".  I don't believe violence in games or movies affects children or anything.  I just don't personally feel comfortable as a person exposing them to something like that when they should be out having fun and being a kid.

LOL  It's weird.  I'd rather have a kid go out and burn ants with a magnifying glass than use a chainsaw on Gears.  Call me weird.  =  /  *shrugs*
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By atejas

Conflict, moreso than violence. Something to pit yourself against.

generic_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By generic_ninja

Yea and thats the argument should we allow our children to be playing games like Gears of War or even Halo for that matter if they contain chainsaws and swords? Lol i woulden't want to be hit over the head with a shovel from a child to see if candy comes out.

MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MasturbatingBear
jakob187 said:
"Most conflicts can not be resolved without violence, so it would seem.  Even something like Katamari Damacy, where you roll a big ball around over people and turn them into stars, can be seen as violence by some people.

Honestly, I don't care if there is violence.  Should kids be playing it?  I'm still an old-school kind of person and believe that it's reserved for a certain age.  I'm not gonna sugarcoat something to a kid if he asks about it.  However, I'm not going to be like "sure, you can play Gears of War".  I don't believe violence in games or movies affects children or anything.  I just don't personally feel comfortable as a person exposing them to something like that when they should be out having fun and being a kid.

LOL  It's weird.  I'd rather have a kid go out and burn ants with a magnifying glass than use a chainsaw on Gears.  Call me weird.  =  /  *shrugs*
"
I dont give a shit about kids playing games. I am 15 years old and I play M rated games and grew up playing violent games. I used to play Mortal Kombat with my brothers when I was 3. Because my parents don't know much about stuff like that so they never new anything about what was going on to try to stop me. Ive played violent games all my life and i couldnt care less. I am not one of the kids who goes out of their way to play a game just cause of violence and am one of the few people my age I know who doesn't love COD4 or GTA4(Do like it a lot though) I played bloody games as a young kid and im not crazy cause of it, sure my name is MasturbatingBear but whatever, I dont feel the urge to kill cops. Violence to me is not a seller and I don't see why it should be to people who are supposed to be a lot more mature.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jakob187
Generic_Ninja said:
"Yea and thats the argument should we allow our children to be playing games like Gears of War or even Halo for that matter if they contain chainsaws and swords? Lol i woulden't want to be hit over the head with a shovel from a child to see if candy comes out."
That's taking it to an extreme, sir.  This is a timeless argument, one with absolutely no logistical end.  The most that can be said is that violence is something in the eye of the beholder.  I don't find violence in games and movies, even music sometimes, to be that big of a deal.  I know plenty of people that think otherwise.  It's a matter of opinions and that's all.  Violence in real life is something different entirely.
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MasturbatingBear
jakob187 said:
"Generic_Ninja said:
"Yea and thats the argument should we allow our children to be playing games like Gears of War or even Halo for that matter if they contain chainsaws and swords? Lol i woulden't want to be hit over the head with a shovel from a child to see if candy comes out."
That's taking it to an extreme, sir.  This is a timeless argument, one with absolutely no logistical end.  The most that can be said is that violence is something in the eye of the beholder.  I don't find violence in games and movies, even music sometimes, to be that big of a deal.  I know plenty of people that think otherwise.  It's a matter of opinions and that's all.  Violence in real life is something different entirely."
well your smarter then OP
clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By clarke0

The violence doesn't need to be graphic, but for most games it is necessary. Gameplay has always been based around some time of combat. Shoot this.... jump on this... fight this boss etc. Other than driving games and some sports games, games generally put a goal in front of you and a bunch of enemies you need to fight. The goal being beating the game, collecting the next item or whatever. There are other important aspects to a game such as controls, immersiveness, graphical and sound quality but most game genres can't exist without some sort of violence.

generic_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By generic_ninja
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MasturbatingBear
Generic_Ninja said:
"

Well then when would it be able to come to and end? People need to begin to realise what their children might be playing in some games.

However it is true that games should be noted first and foremost as just fantasy that we use to have fun, i just dont like watching children you know go up to their parents and showing them how they can cut some guys head of in like Ninja Gaiden perhaps.

"
Well that doesn't happen. those kids you see getting into trouble on the news they had bigger problems before they played the games. They just decide to blame their problems on the game or when authorities inspected their houses and automatically put the blame on violent video games they went with it. I feel that you need to give kids more credit.
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MasturbatingBear
Generic_Ninja said:
"

Well then when would it be able to come to and end? People need to begin to realise what their children might be playing in some games.

However it is true that games should be noted first and foremost as just fantasy that we use to have fun, i just dont like watching children you know go up to their parents and showing them how they can cut some guys head of in like Ninja Gaiden perhaps.

"
Well that doesn't happen. those kids you see getting into trouble on the news they had bigger problems before they played the games. They just decide to blame their problems on the game or when authorities inspected their houses and automatically put the blame on violent video games they went with it. I feel that you need to give kids more credit.
generic_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By generic_ninja

clarke0 said:

"The violence doesn't need to be graphic, but for most games it is necessary. Gameplay has always been based around some time of combat. Shoot this.... jump on this... fight this boss etc. Other than driving games and some sports games, games generally put a goal in front of you and a bunch of enemies you need to fight. The goal being beating the game, collecting the next item or whatever. There are other important aspects to a game such as controls, immersiveness, graphical and sound quality but most game genres can't exist without some sort of violence."

Yea but its also in the case on how much more we could do with graphics other then make better hardware that is avalible on the platforms, graphics are already pretty much at their prime when it comes to some games and now its just polishing that needs to be looked on before retailing the video game.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bulldog19892

Of course not. If violence was more important than gameplay, then wouldn't Manhunt be a considerably more respected game than Portal? Violence is just satisfying a demographic, and (for better or worse) that demographic is pretty big right now.

generic_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By generic_ninja
MasturbatingBear said:
"Generic_Ninja said:
"

"
Well that doesn't happen. those kids you see getting into trouble on the news they had bigger problems before they played the games. They just decide to blame their problems on the game or when authorities inspected their houses and automatically put the blame on violent video games they went with it. I feel that you need to give kids more credit."
Then mabey the blame would be put on the parents for allowing their kids to play such games perhaps?

I do agree that kids and teenagers definetly get stressed out alot especially if going to school.
generic_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By generic_ninja
Bulldog19892 said:
"Of course not. If violence was more important than gameplay, then wouldn't Manhunt be a considerably more respected game than Portal? Violence is just satisfying a demographic, and (for better or worse) that demographic is pretty big right now."
Yes and puzzle is a fantastic game in its own case, but when I go over to a buddies house and ask what game to play it usually ends up as Halo or Gears of War, not saying though that we haven't played portal its just that we needed a multiplayer game to focus on and in which cases we wanted to be able to do some bad things.
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MasturbatingBear
Generic_Ninja said:
"MasturbatingBear said:
"Generic_Ninja said:
"

"
Well that doesn't happen. those kids you see getting into trouble on the news they had bigger problems before they played the games. They just decide to blame their problems on the game or when authorities inspected their houses and automatically put the blame on violent video games they went with it. I feel that you need to give kids more credit."
Then mabey the blame would be put on the parents for allowing their kids to play such games perhaps?

I do agree that kids and teenagers definetly get stressed out alot especially if going to school."
How is the blame on the parents int hat situation? I just said that violence is not based off games but used as a scapegoat I don't see how being stressed out and playing video games leads you to murder unless you are naturally insane
generic_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By generic_ninja
generic_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By generic_ninja

If you stressed out most teenagers probably resort to video games as the scape goat as you said since teenagers seem to always try to handle a situation by themselves. But if your stressed and being bullied and start playing a violent video game would that not in fact give thought on how to act on that problem?

Also the parents would be the ones to blame for allowing their children to buy M rated games in the first place, although depending on the game like lair or so i don't see how even children cant tell the different between dragons flying down and eating people that is almost common history.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bulldog19892
Generic_Ninja said:
"Bulldog19892 said:
"Of course not. If violence was more important than gameplay, then wouldn't Manhunt be a considerably more respected game than Portal? Violence is just satisfying a demographic, and (for better or worse) that demographic is pretty big right now."
Yes and puzzle is a fantastic game in its own case, but when I go over to a buddies house and ask what game to play it usually ends up as Halo or Gears of War, not saying though that we haven't played portal its just that we needed a multiplayer game to focus on and in which cases we wanted to be able to do some bad things."
So you were playing Halo and Gears of War for the necessity of mulitplayer. You're question was "Is Violence one of the most important things in a video game?" and the answer is no, otherwise Portal would never have gotten popular. Violence is not necessary to make a great game, but violence is popular right now.
generic_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By generic_ninja
Bulldog19892 said:
"Generic_Ninja said:
"Bulldog19892 said:
Yes and puzzle is a fantastic game in its own case, but when I go over to a buddies house and ask what game to play it usually ends up as Halo or Gears of War, not saying though that we haven't played portal its just that we needed a multiplayer game to focus on and in which cases we wanted to be able to do some bad things."
So you were playing Halo and Gears of War for the necessity of mulitplayer. You're question was "Is Violence one of the most important things in a video game?" and the answer is no, otherwise Portal would never have gotten popular. Violence is not necessary to make a great game, but violence is popular right now."

Yes violence is a popular thing on todays market right now and thats alright because some great games like Fallout 3 and Fable 2 will be great games, but games like portal dont come around very often anymore and we dont get to see a large creativity coming out of the programmers and designers.
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MasturbatingBear
Generic_Ninja said:
"

If you stressed out most teenagers probably resort to video games as the scape goat as you said since teenagers seem to always try to handle a situation by themselves. But if your stressed and being bullied and start playing a violent video game would that not in fact give thought on how to act on that problem?

Also the parents would be the ones to blame for allowing their children to buy M rated games in the first place, although depending on the game like lair or so i don't see how even children cant tell the different between dragons flying down and eating people that is almost common history.

"
Well what if the parents where like my parents in this situation. They don't know anything about video games nor ratings about games. When I go to buy games I buy them myself unless they are M rated in which case I will go with one of my older brothers in this case my parents didn't let my purchase M rated games but didn't even know I was or what the difference is. In your opinion this should be worse(judging by your previous statements) but you don't see me killing people. I do it cause I like games and I know more about games than a lot of people I know do. Those guides I wrote were all by mind and for none of them did I have to go back to the game to find out. All from years of playing games like Melee and Sor2. many exceptions can happen. Mainly with older siblings

My older brother owns a 360 and over the past 2 summers let me borrow his, he has games like gears,a creed, bioshock, oblivion, dead rising, and lots of other M rated games (not sure if oblivion and creed are rated M) and if my parents didnt allow me to buy games how would it be their fault if someone who doesn't live in our house brought them in for me? Mind you my oldest brother isn't strict at all about ratings on games, he is a high school teacher and on his xbox live friends list is one of his students whom he plays gears of war with. does this make him irresponsible for exposing the student to the game?
Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bulldog19892
Generic_Ninja said:
"Bulldog19892 said:
"Generic_Ninja said:
"Bulldog19892 said:
So you were playing Halo and Gears of War for the necessity of mulitplayer. You're question was "Is Violence one of the most important things in a video game?" and the answer is no, otherwise Portal would never have gotten popular. Violence is not necessary to make a great game, but violence is popular right now."

Yes violence is a popular thing on todays market right now and thats alright because some great games like Fallout 3 and Fable 2 will be great games, but games like portal dont come around very often anymore and we dont get to see a large creativity coming out of the programmers and designers."
...yes. That's pretty much what I'm saying. Violent games are part of the current trend. Todays teens live in a world where they can quickly and easily be labeled 'gay' or a 'pussy' for stupid shit like reading Watchmen or playing Viva Pinata. Therefore, playing the most violent video game you can find makes you 'normal', and developers have picked up on this trend. Games will keep getting more and more violent until it ceases to be as effective, then they will have to focus their attention elsewhere.

So essentially, we are in agreement right now.
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MasturbatingBear
Bulldog19892 said:
"Generic_Ninja said:
"Bulldog19892 said:
"Generic_Ninja said:
"Bulldog19892 said:

Yes violence is a popular thing on todays market right now and thats alright because some great games like Fallout 3 and Fable 2 will be great games, but games like portal dont come around very often anymore and we dont get to see a large creativity coming out of the programmers and designers."
...yes. That's pretty much what I'm saying. Violent games are part of the current trend. Todays teens live in a world where they can quickly and easily be labeled 'gay' or a 'pussy' for stupid shit like reading Watchmen or playing Viva Pinata. Therefore, playing the most violent video game you can find makes you 'normal', and developers have picked up on this trend. Games will keep getting more and more violent until it ceases to be as effective, then they will have to focus their attention elsewhere.

So essentially, we are in agreement right now."
I agree. My friend thinks viva pinata is gay yet I think its badass. I don't give a shit. I play the games that I like and on those rare occurences when I meet someone else my age who likes the same games I like i will talk a lot.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jakob187

Alright, kiddos.  Story time.  Read it and get the point.

My parents, when I was young, didn't want me listening to Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre, ICP, Marilyn Manson...all that stuff.  I was around when the first Mortal Kombat came out, and it was all over the news about the violence in the game...hearts being ripped out...spines being pulled out...etc.  My parents told me they didn't want me to play the games.  It was cool with me and my brother, because we'd just ride our bikes down to the arcade and play them anyways.  Eventually, MK II came out for Genesis, and me and my bro LOVED it!  It was fun!  We didn't really care about the violence, although it was always enjoyable to go "man, I just cut you in half!".  The violence definitely was part of the appeal.  Otherwise, we could've been playing Killer Instinct (which we did play a lot) and Primal Rage (not so much play time).

When the game hit Genesis, me and my brother begged our parents to get it for Christmas.  They said no, and we did what any intelligent young child SHOULD do:

"Look, just rent the game, sit down with us and watch it.  If you don't like it, then we won't play it."

No, it wasn't a con.  Me and my bro had just been running a con by hopping to the arcade to play it, but I trusted my parents enough to know that if they said something wasn't cool for us, we knew they had a good reason.  I know this because when we were 5 or 6, there was a local Saturday morning cartoon in Ohio that we watched all the time, and once my mom saw it, she told us we couldn't watch it anymore.  The cartoon, as I found out years later, promoted racism and the slaughter of other races.

Therefore, I knew they were wise about what to let us do and what not to let us do.  Most parents don't know that line, my parents do.

We rented MK II, and my parents laughed about the game.  They realized how fake it looked, how the blood was completely unrealistic, and they learned first hand just how much the media can blow something out of proportion in order to stir up a controversy.  We got the game for Christmas.  My mom even played it against us a couple of times.  However, when we opened it for Christmas, it was specifically told to us:  "do not act out anything that you see in this game...it is fantasy, and this is reality...you could hurt someone or worse".

My parents eventually learned that we were intelligent kids and could handle our own, and that we weren't going to be influenced by some fucking game.  They loosened up and let me buy Pantera's "Cowboys From Hell" and Dr. Dre's "The Chronic", as well as a couple of Manson albums.  Come to her surprise...she liked Antichrist Superstar...and she's a Baptist!!!

The point of the story is this:  parents are the ones to decide.  The ESRB are only there to help guide those that aren't intelligent like my own parents to know anything about their kids, let alone be involved in their lives.  The problem is that most parents are completely unwilling to get involved or know what's going on because most of them...it's not that they don't care...but they don't know anything about parenting.  We are part of an entire society now where the kids that are 9 or 10 today have parents that are 27 or 28...the same age as me!!!  You've seen how I can act on a MESSAGE BOARD (which by no means is an indication of how I am in real life, btw).  Therefore, when you are so young as a parent, you aren't looking to be a parent (in most cases...I have seen some parents in that age range and younger that are AMAZING parents).  You want to be your kid's buddy and spoil them.

Violence can only be controlled if control is instilled in those willing or capable to commit violence.

Sorry for the wall of text, guys.  Hopefully, though, my own personal experience can be an example of the RIGHT way to handle the issue.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#30  Edited By Vinchenzo

Violence is important when you are playing a violent game. Contrary to what people believe, replacing blood with stars fails to do anything. In fact, I'd imagine it would cause more problems. I could imagine a kid shoot a parent hoping stars would magically fly out.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
jakob187 said:
"Alright, kiddos.  Story time.  
My parents, when I was young, didn't want me listening to Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre"

What a coincidence!

Same with me, and my parents were literally Snoop Dog and Dr. Dre.

The OG gay couple.
Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Black_Raven

Violence is what games do best, it translates so well from the controller to whats on screen. Pretty much all games are based on beating the other player in some way so its not hard to understand why so many games have violence, not like movies.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By Snail

A game that is not violent does not sell as well as any other, that is true. So yes it is an important factor in the gameplay of a game, but I wouldn't say one of the ost important. I'm not going to buy Farcry 2 because I want to blow everyone's head in high def, I'll buy it because it is a game that is better than others in other aspects. My point is that any game can be violent and that is not a very specia and dificult to acomplish trait.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kush

No...it is not important. Not for sales and not for the game to be any good.

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By OGCartman

Absolutely.
Be it Tekken, Gears Of War, Call of Duty, Etc. Violence is the most important thing in my books.
Now dont be a smartass and go "what if everything else sucks", because obviously, the game will suck.
I mean that having alot of violence, without compromizing anything else (accualy will make it better) is vital in my eyes.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Snail said:
"A game that is not violent does not sell as well as any other, that is true.
I wonder, then, how those sports games manage to limp on from year to year.

No, violence is not important for a game's success or playability.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37  Edited By Snail
Sir_Ragnarok said:
"Snail said:
"A game that is not violent does not sell as well as any other, that is true.
I wonder, then, how those sports games manage to limp on from year to year.

No, violence is not important for a game's success or playability."
I wonder, then, how GTA was the most succefull game of the year so far.