It's Here! Replicade's Mini Street Fighter 2 Unboxing and Review

Pacario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Pacario

After several delays, New Wave Toys’ Street Fighter 2 arcade miniature is finally shipping out to fans! As part of the company’s Replicade series, this long-awaited machine is third in a line of high-quality collectibles meant to both preserve and replicate that old-timey arcade experience, albeit in 1/6 scale form. This means a high-quality display, authentic arcade ROMs, a wooden exterior, faithfully reproduced artwork, and perhaps most important of all, authentic controls. Sounds too good to be true, right?

Alas, in the beginning, it sorta was. The first two releases—Centipede and Tempest, respectively—suffered a host of issues, the former sometimes undermined by a faulty battery and unreliable trackball, the latter with “clicky” dial controls that did not properly simulate the original’s smooth spinning dynamics. And considering these gizmos aren’t cheap, ranging from $120.00 to $160.00, I naturally dismissed both as unfortunate novelties.

The Street Fighter 2 attempt seemed equally problematic—why would anyone even consider squeezing a six-button layout onto such meager real estate? But the more I read about the device, the more I became intrigued. All the usual selling points were there, from the lighted marquee to full dip-switch customization, but what really regaled me were the two included micro-switch joysticks; while the first was affixed to the unit in proper fashion, the second came as a separate, mini control pad held within the rear of the unit. In other words, two-player games were possible without compromises or expensive add-ons!

Long story short, I preordered a unit. And after months of ponderous waiting, I now possess--within my hands--a Street fighter 2 Champion Edition “arcade machine” of my very own. My twelve-year-old self would never have dreamed this possible.

But is it any good? Well, I think the pics below hold the pleasant answer! (Indeed, these images speak truer than any long, wordy scrawl. However, for those wanting a more intimate, detailed account, I provide that, too, in my most recent podcast.)

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

A step-by-step unboxing of the Street Fighter 2 cabinet. The packaging is generally well done, although the inner box still incurred a mashed corner at the top. Better the cardboard than the machine, I suppose.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

The machine itself, although smaller than initial expectations, still sports a solid, weighty feel. Interestingly, it even comes with four miniature coins, although these are purely ornamental (and honestly, rather pointless). Most impressive might be the fight stick; not only are the micro-switch controls the real deal, the entire device sports a gratifying heft when held. What's more, the backside even comes adorned with rubber feet. Huh...

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

A beautiful showpiece, whether viewed from the front or the back! The display is also impressive, offering sharp, vibrant colors with no sign of ghosting or slowdown. Audio is likewise accurate and distinct. And though the unit pays tribute to the Champion Edition version of the mythos, the inclusion of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo is a welcome extra.

No Caption Provided

Lastly, here's the Replicade unit placed between Numskull's 1/4 scale Pac-Man cab and SNK's somewhat underwhelming Neo Geo Mini. Although I prefer the larger size of Numskull's design, that screen on the Street Fighter cab is an undeniable stunner. A champion, for sure.

In sum...

If the pictures have done their job, you know I’m more than delighted with this “meager” facsimile. Indeed, it’s perhaps one of the greatest mini collectibles I have ever beheld; a device more uniquely and quintessentially Street Fighter than any that's come before. And a fine comeback for New Wave Toys.

Definitely recommended.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By nutter

That looks really cool, but are those joysticks and buttons usable like that?

Am I missing the point by asking about playing it (I’m not exactly a collector of anything)?

As an old school Street Fighter fan, there’s something alluring but teasing about the idea of a tiny cabinet running and playing audio in the background of a room.

It sounds like Xbox and PS4 controllers work as well...interesting...

Pacario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter: No, good questions! To answer your first, the joystick and buttons are surprisingly usable. Now, don't expect them to be superior to a quality gamepad or fight stick--the thing's just too tiny to compete on that level. But for what it is, the controls work surprisingly well.

As for whether you're "missing the point by playing it," the answer is both yes and no. While the machine does play well, it is, first and foremost, a display piece, and a rather accurate one at that. Indeed, the machine is even designed to be left alone in "demo/attract" mode for people to appreciate at a distance, just like them old arcade days. In other words, you're getting the best of both worlds, but for serious play, well, this machine isn't really for that.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pacario: Yeah, like I said, I’m not the type to collect things to look at them (my wife handles the home decor, mostly...I just sort of approve or disapprove once in a while), but I get the want to have one of these...pretty cool, plus it could just sit on a bookshelf, end table, etc...

Sigh, I could see myself buying a few beloved cabinets in this format...I gotta go before I succumb... ;)

Pacario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter: Haha. I'd recommend getting one--the machine that best reflects your tastes and old-tyme nostalgia. I passed on Centipede and Tempest, and I'm glad I did. But...I'm also glad I pulled the trigger on this machine. Incidentally, you might want to check out Numskull's Quarter Arcade line, as well; I'll probably fall prey to its upcoming Ms. Pac-Man cab.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pacario: Yeah, I’m old enough to have played Pac-Man, but young enough to have been okay enough with Pac-Man on the 2600. My arcade days go back a while.

I think my favorite era was Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Final Fight, Ninja Gaiden, TMNT, X-Men, etc.

If I were to decide to grab a few cabinets like this for a movie room one day (and I could have my pick of what’s available), they’d probably be some version of Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat 1 or 2 (probably 1), and Final Fight.

I know Final Fight is kinda mindless compared to console peers like Streets of Rage, but it still has that place in my heart.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I saw this thing at Wal-Mart.

Pacario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: You might be mistaking this for Arcade1UP's Street Fighter cab, which is much larger and more expensive. That thing is about four feet tall; the machine here, by New Wave Toys, is around twelve inches. That's not to say this won't appear at Walmart (or more likely, walmart.com) sometime in the future. But for now, the machine's availability is limited to just a few outlets.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19