I've made a 100 posts, and you shouldn't care!

Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Feser

Wait a minute before you shout, ‘fore that is straining on your voice, and I want you to fully understand the situation before jokes about my sexuality are somehow, and I stress somehow, are always brought into trolling threads. We might actually have a progressive thought here folks and I want to complete it.

That’s right you should not care about my small milestone, especially when I myself don’t care. I do remember breaching 5,000 gamerscore once and thinking that was cool. Nifty. 5,000 is a big number and 11,000, my current score, is an even bigger number. But why suddenly do I not care? 11,000 is an even bigger number, albeit a very small one in comparison in the circle of hardcore gamers, but if we looked at the scores that reaches 50, 60, or 70 thousand - what is their importance?

I personally don’t know anyone with points that high, however I have seen forum posts where users either comment graciously accomplishing that achievement or call it a “lie, lie, lie”. As a note of interest, I have also seen forum posts claiming that the user accomplished some sex act. Guess which claim fewer people believe? Is it the one where someone spent several hundred hours playing all sorts of uninteresting games or the one where a play’a just happened to be in the right place at the right time? More on that later.

You see the thing I wanted to talk to you about today, is what the value of these achievements. I doubt it is to create interesting conversation; the hours to get the achievements to produce the minutes of discussion talking about the achievements is a very large ratio, usually akin to efficiency rate the US government. Then what is the value of achievements? What’s the value of the achievements in a typical WoW account, and I am not just talking about the points. The grueling grinding that one does to get their Ranger to the level that they can use X gun (I obviously don’t play WoW). More pointedly, those who play Runescape, not a particularly fun game, what is the point of being the top player in that game?

There is a school of thought called Stoicism, and I am specifically reffering to Marcus Aralias’s take. To understand Stoicism in a nutshell, Marcus Aralias once said that sex was “Merely two bodies rubbing against each other until the ejaculation of fluid”. I’m am not hinting that is the way to think, that we must look at everything in the starkest of terms. I see grand merit in playing and being immersed in the World of Warcraft. Games certainly have value. However, anything one can brag about should not be paramount over the things one can do. I hope that everyone out there is not intending to have sex for the sake of sex and points for the sake of points.

This brings me too a crazy theory. That it is not the experience that one has in a game it is the experience one has. The connections with other people, the fun of the game, and anything else more than a foot deep. I know how simple this sounds, it’s akin to saying it’s good to have a have a happy life, but why limit oneself to one-worded replies on message boards, monotonous games that you know beforehand will be boring, and announcements of milestones that led nowhere to begin with?

While I spoke of games and sex, and I try to bring that into any area of conversation (including tuition payment), I intend this general word of advice to be applicable to all areas of life. What areas of life can you make deeper? Your friendship? Or perhaps you can get to know your enemy? Try being a liberal or a conservative for a day to see the difference (Little hint; it won’t be that different). But specifics aren't really needed, it's your life after all, and all I want is for you to ask yourself a question, 
"If no one else cares about what I am doing, why should I?" 

Thank-you for reading.    

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Red12b

Ok, What? Should have bee a blog. 

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

I actually tried reading that, and it confused the hell out of me. Seriously, it seemed to jump around a bit.

Jaserno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jaserno

Some do really care for gamerscore and some do have sex just for the sake of it being sex and the acquired feeling of an orgasm, that is why we have sex. For the enjoyment of actually doing it, hence why people throw sleepless nights into accumulating rank on games and earning gamerscore.
MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

hmm... congrats sir.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

No Caption Provided
Jaserno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jaserno

Oh, and congratulations on writing 100 posts, having sex, and getting 11,000 points in your Gamerscore.
zigaroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zigaroo

I care more about how poorly you convey your thoughts into type than knowing you don't care about this silly little milestone!

K I S S people.

And yes, I am twisting your arm a little. ;)

Avatar image for redeyesbluebunny
RedEyesBlueBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By RedEyesBlueBunny

k
kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kermoosh

there's someone on my friends list with around 150,000 gamerscore, kinda depressing

Avatar image for redeyesbluebunny
RedEyesBlueBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By RedEyesBlueBunny

i actually really liked this post by the way
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Rowr

Thanks for the deep thoughts master chief.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LiquidSwords

Halo avatar, no cares
beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By beargirl1

oh

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MikkaQ
@Feser said:
" I hope that everyone out there is not intending to have sex for the sake of sex and points for the sake of points. "

Sorry man, those two statements are basically what I live for.
dyslekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dyslekt
Thats alot of text.
Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MAN_FLANNEL said:
"
No Caption Provided
"
Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Drebin_893

Your post.... It's disgusting. 
What I did get from it though..... I personally am not ashamed to admit that once or twice I have had sex for the sake of having sex, but importantly I do not make a lifestyle out of it. And even if I did, so what? If the person is enjoying their life and not harming those around him, then he has every right to do whatever it is he's doing.

BraveFart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BraveFart

What ?

i didn't even read the text !

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By ajamafalous

tl;dr

NinjaCupCaiks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NinjaCupCaiks

TL;DR . 
In conclusion = Thanks Master Chief

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By armaan8014

Im tired now!

Workyticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Workyticket

Personally, I try to have sex for the sake of sex as often as I can yet couldn't give a toss about my gamerscore. I like to think of myself as selectively degenerate.

Assuming for a minute that you are actually trying to spark a debate and not measuring your intellectual girth in public: It's like anything else. Some people just take their hobbies way too seriously. Generally speaking, anyone who obsesses over their gamerscore is probably way beyond the help of any reasonable person anyway.

Oh, and it's Marcus Aurelius: Just saying...

Senile_Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Senile_Kyle

I know no one cares about what I'm up to. Like most "middle-class" and below citizens, I am just a microscopic speck of nothing trying to get through life, while at the same time trying to fulfill enough wants to keep my morality up.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Slippy

TL:DR 

But wait, this was about sex?

Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Feser
@Workyticket:
Don't take anything I say too seriously, I mainly tried to humor myself (and unsuccessfully everyone else) with this train of thought. The reactions are interesting, though I think it's really telling about myself that I do not consider this a long post. Five to ten minutes to write?
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Jeust
@Feser said:
"

Wait a minute before you shout, ‘fore that is straining on your voice, and I want you to fully understand the situation before jokes about my sexuality are somehow, and I stress somehow, are always brought into trolling threads. We might actually have a progressive thought here folks and I want to complete it.

That’s right you should not care about my small milestone, especially when I myself don’t care. I do remember breaching 5,000 gamerscore once and thinking that was cool. Nifty. 5,000 is a big number and 11,000, my current score, is an even bigger number. But why suddenly do I not care? 11,000 is an even bigger number, albeit a very small one in comparison in the circle of hardcore gamers, but if we looked at the scores that reaches 50, 60, or 70 thousand - what is their importance?

I personally don’t know anyone with points that high, however I have seen forum posts where users either comment graciously accomplishing that achievement or call it a “lie, lie, lie”. As a note of interest, I have also seen forum posts claiming that the user accomplished some sex act. Guess which claim fewer people believe? Is it the one where someone spent several hundred hours playing all sorts of uninteresting games or the one where a play’a just happened to be in the right place at the right time? More on that later.

You see the thing I wanted to talk to you about today, is what the value of these achievements. I doubt it is to create interesting conversation; the hours to get the achievements to produce the minutes of discussion talking about the achievements is a very large ratio, usually akin to efficiency rate the US government. Then what is the value of achievements? What’s the value of the achievements in a typical WoW account, and I am not just talking about the points. The grueling grinding that one does to get their Ranger to the level that they can use X gun (I obviously don’t play WoW). More pointedly, those who play Runescape, not a particularly fun game, what is the point of being the top player in that game?

There is a school of thought called Stoicism, and I am specifically reffering to Marcus Aralias’s take. To understand Stoicism in a nutshell, Marcus Aralias once said that sex was “Merely two bodies rubbing against each other until the ejaculation of fluid”. I’m am not hinting that is the way to think, that we must look at everything in the starkest of terms. I see grand merit in playing and being immersed in the World of Warcraft. Games certainly have value. However, anything one can brag about should not be paramount over the things one can do. I hope that everyone out there is not intending to have sex for the sake of sex and points for the sake of points.

This brings me too a crazy theory. That it is not the experience that one has in a game it is the experience one has. The connections with other people, the fun of the game, and anything else more than a foot deep. I know how simple this sounds, it’s akin to saying it’s good to have a have a happy life, but why limit oneself to one-worded replies on message boards, monotonous games that you know beforehand will be boring, and announcements of milestones that led nowhere to begin with?

While I spoke of games and sex, and I try to bring that into any area of conversation (including tuition payment), I intend this general word of advice to be applicable to all areas of life. What areas of life can you make deeper? Your friendship? Or perhaps you can get to know your enemy? Try being a liberal or a conservative for a day to see the difference (Little hint; it won’t be that different). But specifics aren't really needed, it's your life after all, and all I want is for you to ask yourself a question, 

Thank-you for reading.    

"
Well i studied Stoicism, and while they had a very advanced view of the world and the universe, they had a very bland view about mundane activities like sex.

And i agree with the "experience one has". It is truthfully the most important part, though the meaning and importance it has is subjective, even because, many times, the only person that know what you did is yourself. But the general idea is a sound one. 

That was a question i long searched an answer for... and mine is: "Because it's my life.". Truth be said most people care about what you're doing either because they have something to win with it, or because you're doing something in a domain they care about. So many times no one will care about what you do probably, so it's better to leave others out of the equation. Look inside yourself, and find reasons to make you care about yourself and love yourself.

Life runs very fast, and people come and go quickly, so you should find something more permanent in your life.

I'm also reaching the 2000 posts, and so what?! The only good thing about it, is what i've learned. The number doesn't matter.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Milkman

Don't worry, I don't.

Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Feser

I recently took a philosophy class, and after taking it I felt horrible for not taking one sooner. That being said, my knowledge of philosophy is introductory, and the main purpose of this post was to invite discussion from individuals that might know a thing or two. Thanks for your pespective, honestly, for at the moment I don't have a definitive one.  
As far as living one's life, I am more inclined with your viewpoint; however if one lives their life according to their own desired outcome, I.E. something nonsensicial like collecting every type of stamp made, then they may eventually come to the realization that collecting stamps is really, really stupid. On the flipside, their has been great businessmen who have built empires, only to come to same conclusion. That their accomplishments are shallow,
But the wonderful thing about philisophy is that their is no answer. If anything my post was about getting people to think about those sort of ideas (Which means that this post is epic fail, I know).

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Thats a filthy lie and you know it! You do not possess 11,000 gamer-points, you only possess a measly 10,558! 

Away with your filthy lies! ; )

Haha just fooling. Congrats on 100 posts duder!

Sex is good.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By iam3green

nice wall of text, u should break it down. 

grat on 100 posts. u should work on getting 1,000 now.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Branthog
@Drebin_893 said:
" Your post.... It's disgusting. What I did get from it though..... I personally am not ashamed to admit that once or twice I have had sex for the sake of having sex, but importantly I do not make a lifestyle out of it. And even if I did, so what? If the person is enjoying their life and not harming those around him, then he has every right to do whatever it is he's doing. "
I don't know why the hell else you would have sex.

And of course none of these things mean anything. In fifty years, there will be a few family members left alive who remember you and think of you very rarely. In seventy years, nobody will be alive who knew you and those who knew people who knew you will -- at best -- think about you perhaps as often as you think of your great great grandparents. In a hundred years, nobody will know or care that you ever existed. In about 150 years, nobody will know or care that most of today's most famous people even ever existed.  Even all of the philosophical studies and discussions about how much higher and more abstract one's thinking is than everyone else (which seems to be the point of the original thread post, anyway) won't matter a lick.

That said, I also don't agree with the insistence that such things must be blog posts that nobody will read. What good are forums if anything you want to say or share or start up has to be relegated to "blogs"? Then all you have are a bunch of threads asking "should I buy THIS or THIS?" and "take my poll" and "look at this youtube clip!".
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Branthog
@iam3green said:
" nice wall of text, u should break it down.   grat on 100 posts. u should work on getting 1,000 now. "
Why would you do that to the rest of us?!
Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Mr_Bubbles

I read half of it, then I read some replies, then I read the whole thing. 

Does that mean I have sex now?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By jakob187

I've got over 10,000 posts.  That's pretty close to your gamerscore.  I don't really care unless someone is beating me.  =  D

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By iam3green
@Branthog said:
" @iam3green said:
" nice wall of text, u should break it down.   grat on 100 posts. u should work on getting 1,000 now. "
Why would you do that to the rest of us?! "
sorry :( lol
Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Feser

I'm really surprised at how often sex is coming up in the replies. The general point of the post was to be something differant than the normal useless thread. As for sex, the only reason I mention it alot is that I like it.
Workyticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Workyticket
@Feser:  No worries man, and it's not that long a post anyway. I've read much, much worse!

Jeust pretty much took the words out of my mouth  on this one - ultimately, your experiences live in you no matter if you have them alone, with others and no matter what the motivation, and the things that you enjoy and/or find interesting all contribute to the same 'bank' of experience. In fact, the more you mix things up between communal activities like relationships and personal, private things like gaming, the deeper that bank becomes. I know that if I didn't have the relationships I have in my life and the things I do 'outside' and all I did was play games, I wouldn't find them half as fulfilling. By the same token, I enjoy games because they are something I can enjoy in my private time, much like reading or watching movies.

As far as the whole gamerscore thing goes, it really comes down to what you read into it. Having been a gamer since the Atari 2600 days, I think achievements/trophies are one of the best things to happen to the hobby in years. I love having that 'permanent record' of the games I've played and what I did in them, and they mainly give a tangible award for things gamers have always done to extend the life of games (I remember spending a whole school holidays trying to complete R-Type on three credits... Never did it, but the experience always makes me smile) These are things we collect for our own satisfaction, to chart our own gaming history.

Gamerscore is, on the other hand, pretty much centred around public image. The higher your score, the more impressive you are to people online (Even though it's a notoriously easy thing to cheat) There's a certain kind of personal interest you take, e.g. 'I wonder if I can make it to 10,000', but it's an abstract thing at the end of the day. It could mean you're a skilled gamer, though it could just as well mean you just rent a shitload of games. But in the 'leet' mentality, those points mean prestige, and that's how people of that way of thinking find their fulfillment. They wouldn't think much of my measly 6500 points, but then again for me the fun is in HOW you got those points - which is what makes achievements far more valuable.

Fair enough if you're into gamerscore, but it just seems a depressing notion to put so much importance on an abstract number that tells you nothing about how you got it.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By toowalrus
You're right, I don't care. I'd flag this for spam if it would do any good.