Jeff statement on the future of the site

Avatar image for lonelyspacepanda
LonelySpacePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 11

I hope Jeff takes a good look at what's working with MinnMax (a group I feel in many ways captures classic GB while having tons of guests) and what's maybe not working with Adam Sessler's G4 reboot. And of course, there's Dan Ryckert and other streams who use the platform to innovate and have fun instead of just "here's part 5 of me playing this game, I guess".

The site used to be Jeff and friends. Now it's just Jeff. I hope he leans into that and tries to have fun with it. Easier said than done since at the end of the day it's his livelihood (not that I don't think he could make 5x the money working at Sony or something -- I assume he does this because he loves it).

matthewgm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm really curious to see what the next phase is.

I think most fans have wondered what GB would look like "in the future" at one point or another. It just turns out that the future is here.

I'm certainly willing to give it a shot. But today was hard.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#103  Edited By csl316

Interesting to hear how excited Jeff is about future opportunities with RV. I wonder what that means but sounds like they've been thinking about growth and change for awhile. Let's not forget how cool and talented the remaining team is.

Whatever Giant Bomb will become, it'll be really new and different. And maybe it'll change the game once more. I've learned to never count out Jeff and to expect his best work when he's thrown a curveball.

I hope to look back in a year and go "Dammit, Gerstmann, you've done it again."

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

As someone who has unsubscribed back in November for a significant amount of time for the first time since like 6+ years ago, this is actually exciting to see a new direction for Jeff to take this in. I'll have to catch up to the podcast and that will probably be a gut punch but I'm optimistic.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

@csl316: Unfortunately, I have a hard time sharing that excitement. While I do trust Jeff, of course he's going to put out a positive sounding statement when a big change like this happens. Especially if he's staying with the site. You don't put out a doom and gloom press release if you don't want your user base to bounce entirely.

And with a second kid on the way, this would be a terrible time to jump off a guaranteed paycheck. I dunno. I just have a bad feeling about the whole thing, I guess.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

As completely devastated as I am, I have full intention on sticking around and seeing where it goes. I've been with GB through many changes, some which I thought signaled the end, but they always turned out alright. It's gonna be different, but different can be good. My friends and I have been talking for a few months now how GB needs a shot in the ass somehow, this definitely isn't what I was expecting... I shouldnt have fucked with that monkeys paw.

UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#107  Edited By UnlivedPhalanx

@vaiz said:

@csl316: Unfortunately, I have a hard time sharing that excitement. While I do trust Jeff, of course he's going to put out a positive sounding statement when a big change like this happens. Especially if he's staying with the site. You don't put out a doom and gloom press release if you don't want your user base to bounce entirely.

And with a second kid on the way, this would be a terrible time to jump off a guaranteed paycheck. I dunno. I just have a bad feeling about the whole thing, I guess.

It likely doesn't even matter. These types of deals have "talent exclusivity" contracts which likely means Jeff can't bounce even if he wants to.

Edit: This actually may be why those 3 bounced at once. No one wanted to stay on but Jeff agreed to stay if RV allowed those guys to split. I can't know for sure, but I've signed similar contracts during mergers where I've been the head on a project and didn't really want to work for the new company, but I kind of had to anyway. These guys are blood, I can totally see him making that sacrifice for that gang.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Jeff always seems to be aware of content staying fresh and relevant, so I wish him nothing but the best and look forward to see what he does next with his work.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Assuming they get some support and he plants his feet for a while longer, I'm actually most excited by what Jan can do with a Giant Bomb reboot. If we get nothing else but Jan and Jeff really swinging for the fences, then I'll be glad.

fugoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna need the people speculating corporate goings on and trying to unlock some secret code how the 3 people who left were forced out or some nonsense to stop.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bacongames: Literally every GB hire has been a fucking lights out hit, which is insane in and of itself, but Jan especially I couldn't agree more. I would listen to that dude talk about a CARD GAME THAT I NEVER PLAYED for hours.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We could probably stand to not delve into weird fanfic about why things are happening, yeah.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Listening to the Bombcast before 7am, I wasn’t quite sure if Jeff was also leaving and they were just going to close the whole site, so I’m glad that’s not the case and I’m interested in seeing what happens next. I mean, I’m subscribed until 2023, so I have no choice!

That said, these really weren’t the news I wanted to hear as the first thing in the morning.

fugoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna be real here. Since it'll probably be lost to time I'll say what I said in the whole "should premium be cheaper thread" and expand on it. The last year and half have not been great for GB. Notice I said year and a half cause honestly pre-pandemic wasn't so hot either for me. Things felt like such a holding pattern until they would find new a hire for Dan to maybe inject some life into the site. Then pandemic hit and we all know what happened. The Ben and Abby left and I totally understand their reasons. But the issues that were already present were only exacerbated and I haven't listened to a full podcast from any of the weekly ones in over a year(I didn't bother with hotspot). Beastcast especially felt almost depressing at times with just Vinny, Alex, and Jeff barely mentioning games at times. Not to mention Brad has had an air about him that has made "Brad is leaving" jokes for a long while. I hoped that when the pandemic would wind down that there would be something new to look forward to.

Now having the 3 of them leave was not what I had in mind at all, Vinny especially, but here we are. I'd rather they move on and GB enter another era, than having them stay and just feeling that stagnataion again till they found some new hires again. But then the cycle would just repeat. Now things have changed permanentely, if they're for the better we'll have to wait and see but as many others have said. We've been here before. They've been here before. It's turned out pretty alright so far! So I'm gonna see where this goes and reminisce about the end of another chapter, and make way for some optimism about a new one.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#117  Edited By BrittonPeele

@unlivedphalanx said:

@vaiz said:

It likely doesn't even matter. These types of deals have "talent exclusivity" contracts which likely means Jeff can't bounce even if he wants to.

Edit: This actually may be why those 3 bounced at once. No one wanted to stay on but Jeff agreed to stay if RV allowed those guys to split. I can't know for sure, but I've signed similar contracts during mergers where I've been the head on a project and didn't really want to work for the new company, but I kind of had to anyway. These guys are blood, I can totally see him making that sacrifice for that gang.

Vinny squashed that theory on Twitter already.

A lot of people in media/journalism don't stay in one place too long. Being at the same outlet for more than a decade is almost unheard of these days. Even if the place you're at is amazing and you have no qualms with it, sometimes you need to change things up, either because your personal circumstances have changed or just because you need a new challenge. That sort of change can still take guts (a familiar gig and a steady paycheck are great things to have), but it's what some people need at different points in their life.

I've been in my feels a lot today. I'm not a huge fan of change and I've followed these guys since the GameSpot days, so I'm not ready to say goodbye... But I'm anxious to see what Jeff has planned next, and I'm excited to see what the future holds for everyone who's leaving.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is such a huge blow. Vinny always said towards those beginning years if the site didn't last or straight up tanked he would jokingly say "well its been a hell of a ride" but it really has been.

I started listening to them around 09. I was a jr in high school and had to manually download the podcast on my parents computer onto my ipod nano. (or was it the shuffle?) I got in trouble during English class because i would finish my assignments early and listen and just crack up at all the shit they'd talk about for so many games like assassins creed or gears or war to duke nukem. Christ, its been 12 years since then.

I can't help but feel melancholy. The last time i felt something like this was when Ryan passed away so suddenly. Back then I was super stressed out in college trying to plan my life to be perfect like any early 20 something. That paired with the stress of my studies put me into a depression. My friends actually gave me an intervention but there was no way to explain my deep sadness for a video game online personality that i never met. But just like Ryan, these guys are important to me. They're important to all of us. I cant even imagine the weight they feel after cultivating such a vast and intense following. To say they will be missed is cliche but also an understatement. I have no idea what they have instore for their futures. While their departure from the site is a sad topic, they havent died. They are still here.

I hope they stay in the public eye just so i can keep in touch with their lives and careers and much more. I also would not blame any of them for taking a more "traditional job" whatever the hell that means in today's environment. Being in a public light at the height of cancel culture cannot be a breeze i imagine. I dont even like to be recorded just for privacy sake.

I want to take this chance to thank you three for your time and all the hours of content you helped to create.

Brad, your struggles with performing in front of a camera are legendary! I will never forget how you exclaim "NOOOO!" whenever you are trying to navigate through a difficult task when your characters life depends on it, and you fail or fall down and die in some catastrophic failure. i really appreciate how you dive deep into the meaning and voice in the video games that pull you in. You paint a great picture of the imagery a story is trying to convey and the deeper meaning or philosophy. See you later you sweet sleepy host you.

Alex, thank you for being a stand up guy and straight shooter. Your passion for rhythm games or those odd indy darlings are such a great change of pace compared to my normal taste in games. You know how to vibe with a game even if that game is flawed or has its drawbacks. I know truck simulator is a popular franchise but you were the first person who wanted to play that and said it without malice or satire. Lastly, i want to say i appreciate you being so open about your mental state, both past and present. As someone else who has anxiety in what most call normal situations it helps to relate. I've also had to continue to fight to keep dark negative thoughts from creeping into my mind and i could feel your pain during the pandemic as each month set it. Again, thanks for being as transparent about that stuff because it makes me feel like i am not alone in those internal struggles.

Vinny, you son of a bitch! Your dumb dad jokes and never ending optimism really keep me coming. The way you look at problem solving is fascinating and similar to my thought process of "every challenge is just a puzzle to be solved". You may have also hacked my subconscious because whenever i see the clear path to advance in a video game i must always choose the second path to seek out loot. Never lose that upbeat attitude. You truly brighten up any podcast, conference and video you are a part of. Please please please keep breaking any video game you touch because that might be your best talent yet.

Jeff, I do not envy the challenge you have to shift such a huge piece of GB's history from where it is. It cannot be easy to see some of these founders go on their own path after a decade. I've only stayed with a company for 3 years at the most and saying goodbye to coworkers is tough for me! I think you can keep the ship afloat but no doubt things will be different. Different isnt always bad. Change is inevitable in all things. Perhaps the future of GB may not be for me. Perhaps a knife really is better than a bat! I've been wrong before. So let's see where this takes us.

"I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them"

o7

stise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By stise

Obviously this is a huge loss and nobody knows exactly what the future of the site will look like, but I've always appreciated that Jeff seems like the type to say fuck a graceful fade-out and leave everything on the mat. Even if Giant Bomb's final stream is just Jeff being dragged out of his garage in a straightjacket while he yells about Tempest, the world will be better for it.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lead_dispencer:Def will forever miss Vinny and Alex but holy shit nothing will ever compare to Brad just wanting to die as people yell at him for "Bradding".

Love that duder.

eag67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#121  Edited By eag67

Im not too sure what will be the future of GB. But I honestly dont see Jeff staying here much longer anybody who saw the podcast. You could see it in Jeff's eyes. Alex, Vinny and Brad and of course we cant forget Ryan. These guys werent just best friends they were and are like brothers. They been to each others wedding Jeff,Ryan and Vinnys I think they all went to Ryans funeral except Alex said he didnt go for some reason. Jeff will probably stay long enough to get the site rebooted get some new people in place hand the keys off to the new caretakers and then plan his next adventure. Hopefully he will bring his friends/brothers along.

fugoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We really at this point rn? You can see it in Jeff's eyes??? That's where we're making things up from?

thainatos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fugoy: You nailed it, duder. The latest chapter of GB hasn't felt very GB. Excited to see what Vinny, Alex, and Brad do next. I know Jeff can hold it down, because he's STILL A THREAT.

benjo_t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Jeff Gerstmann is still a threat.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#125  Edited By AV_Gamer

I got to give Jeff credit. He could have used Vinny, Brad, and Alex leaving, as well as his own personal family issues and said: "It's been fun, but Giant Bomb is shutting down". But instead he plans to fight and save this great thing that was created with passion and love for video games and the gaming community. I wish him good luck. I believe hiring a bunch of younger people who are just a passionate about games and whom might be fans of the site is a good move going forward. Jan is proving to be a great hire, especially in these tough times. We just need a few more like him and Giant Bomb is saved. And hopefully, Brad, Vinny and Alex won't be strangers and drop by the new office every now and again. And if Jeff decides to take a back seat and run things CEO style it would be completely understandable.

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I’m glad that the site isn’t closing. This isn’t about me, but since 2011 I’ve taken such joy and comfort from this site, even if it’s increasingly on YouTube rather than here. I wish the guys all the best and I look to a continuing future of great content in whichever form it takes.

Avatar image for arcticpandapopz
ArcticPandaPopz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#127  Edited By ArcticPandaPopz

This is so depressing. I would love for Alex, Brad and Vinny to start their own website. It's sad to see Giant Bomb end like this, I've been watching this site for over a decade and it's sad to see it go and sad to see so many great people leave over the years. And Alex, Brad and Vinny are such a big part of makes this site great, they are such lovely people and in a world full of toxic gamers, it's nice to see genuine and kind gamers who have made us laugh and happy all these years.

I wish Alex, Brad and Vinny all the best. Let's hope they team up and hopefully Jeff joins them at a later date. Hopefully the dream team will comeback together one day.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be seeing this all the way through to whatever this crazy website ends up being. Thankfully that seems to be Jeff's attitude aswell.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Sitting here at 330 in the morning with a pit in my stomach. I really can't believe how sad I feel about all this.

Sakr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In case this is read just wanted to chime in and say that I am essentially in mourning over Giant Bomb and what it represents to me, especially the Beastcast. At the same time I hope that Alex, Vinny and Brad will get to find something new to be excited about, whether public facing or private.

With all this said, Jeff's statement and knowing that Jan, Jason, Rorie and Jeff Bakalar are still on board is making me optimistic about the future of Giant Bomb - for sure something that will be different and I don't know how (or whether) I will connect with it emotionally, but something new. There is literally no one better in the world than a committed Jeff Gerstmann to point this thing in new directions - I am taking his comments about the future at face value because hoping for the best makes the most sense to me (but I am downloading stuff in preparation for the worst, fyi). Giant Bomb is its people, and there is no one I trust more to know who fits in to GB, and who can push it forward, more than Jeff. I am particularly excited about the possibility of a more diverse staff.

I coincidentally re-upped my premium for a year a few hours before the announcement and I am sticking around to see what's next. Best of luck to everyone leaving! Best of luck to Jeff and the remaining staff on the task ahead!

mitalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_jon: This is exactly how I feel as well right now. It's been several hours now since the news came to me and I'm STILL trying to process it.

Picto_Obscure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Picto_Obscure

Best of Luck to Jeff (and Jason, and Rorie) with the site transition – wherever it ends up heading.

Personally, I'm so so glad Jan is still here; and I hope to see / hear more of him.

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’ll definitely be sticking around to see what Jeff has in store, I trust his vision and am confident he’ll be able to pull this off. I will also happily follow Alex and Brad and Vinny to whatever they do next.

But...Jesus. I hope someday once the statute of limitations is up, that there’s a No Clip doc or something about what in the actual fuck happened here.

Avatar image for inevitablechees
InevitableChees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

site is basically dead lol

good luck to jeff and wish everyone else the best

silenTurtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well this is definitely not the news I was expecting to see after coming home from work...

Wish the best for Vinny, Alex and Brad.

I doubt Jeff just threw up his hands and just gave into the big corporation, restructuring the site must have been a thought that has been percolating for while now. I believe in Giant Bomb, by which I mean I believe in Jeff.

kazzerscout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm going to be an optimist and stick with the site - I am paid up until almost 2024 at the moment due to sales over the years. Jan is brilliant, I have lots of time for Jason and Rorie's niche interests, and Jeff is the OG. If they can get a couple of fresh, exciting new people in and build new content around them then the game is back on. I just don't want this site to die out.

Skiddie77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Skiddie77

I think Jeff knows what needs to be done and knows how to get there. I'm actually a bit excited to see what's next.

Dan, Abby and Ben leaving and not getting replaced has been rough. The Beastcast is a shadow of it former self and I have not seen the point of it lately. As much as i love the original crew, without the other people around them GB gets less interesting.

pearsonpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From Jeff’s language does it sound to anyone else like they’re maybe going in a Twitch direction, lots individual creators operating independently?

Demonsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pearsonpark

If Brad goes to Twitch then I will subscribe to his channel on day one. I love all of his content. I want Daily DOTA resurrected from the grave!

I don't think @brad will go to Twitch, but if he does, then I'm 100% all in.

dezvous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#140  Edited By dezvous

I'm excited too about the potential new future of Giant Bomb! I hope we get plenty of that deep dive Jeff talk about his ideas for the future, I'm ready to go on that ride again. Maybe the Arrows Pointing Up this time?

ivanzypher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We could speculate endlessly about why the departures are happening now, but working over a decade at one place has become exceedingly rare, especially in the games industry where most publications fold well before a decade in existence. Regardless of the reasons, Vinny, Brad, and Alex have more than earned their time to step away and do something else, or just take a break! (Not that you have to stay at any one place for any given amount of time to "earn" a change, you obviously can leave whenever you want).

In regards to the future, I'm very interested to see where GB goes from here. There's still a lot of talent sticking around and new talent will join as well. I hope their corporate overlords will give GB the freedom to move in the directions they see fit. Even if it doesn't work out, there will more than likely be ways to see the crew do their thing. Maybe not together, sadly, but every ending is a new beginning.

I hope Vinny, Brad, and Alex enjoy their new beginnings, and I hope GB has an exciting new beginning as well!

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Jeff you are legendary but there is no GB without Ryan, Vinny Brad and Alex

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will follow Jeff to the gates of Mordor.

Right there with you man. I´m ready.

pearsonpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demonsoul: I meant this site becoming more like Twitch, individual creators / streamers rather than a cast with shows.

Avatar image for tylerdurden4321
TylerDurden4321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing is:

The original bomb wasn't build from scratch, the core - the chemistry between the personalities - came pre-assembled.

Nillock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@depecheload: My company was owned by Bain about 8 years ago. They leveraged us to the brink of bankruptcy and sold to another venture capital company. My advice is to get out now.

renzu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By renzu

I for one am looking forward to this reimagining. The site's been due for one for years IMO and if shedding the old guard is what it takes (no disrespect, but the heydays of the classic crew are long past) then so be it. Like others have mentioned, a decade+ is a long time for people to be in the same gig.

I like to think the coordinated timing of the departures is more strategic (with the site going on a 1mo hiatus to retool and hopefully staff up) than indicative of something bad happening behind the scenes. Just gotta wait and see.

peffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By peffy

I'll miss those 3, but honestly I never really gelled with the gaming opinions of anyone in GB. Although.. come to think of it, maybe Alex was closest to my taste. Anyway, on the bright side it will be exciting to see the new faces Jeff brings in. And I really hope Bakalar shows up often.

glik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Giant Bomb is dead, long live Red Ventures' GIANT BOMB Powered by Monster Energy featuring Ninja

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pearsonpark: I had the same thought when I read the Gamespot article. If it’s akin to the Twitch Creators thing (of which I only have the loosest understanding), but operating independently, they might be able to provide more stability than standard streaming. And assuming site archives are a still a thing in the new era, there could be advantages like protection from DMCA affecting archived streams. I can see it being like a more organized version of the early Lockdown 2020 streams, with the cast coming together once or twice a week for the Bombcast and maybe another podcast.

If this is the case, I’m going to miss the “everyone in the studio together” approach, but diversity in gaming interests is what made Abby, Ben, and Jan such refreshing hires. Hopefully we get some news sooner rather than later, because I’m extremely curious about this retool / reboot.