Most Eclectic developers?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Which developers have the more varied lineup of games? Basically, what I'm talking about is developers who are the opposite of Telltale.

The best I can think of is Double Fine or ACE Team.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Artdink, all day.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think SWERY and Suda 51 are pretty eclectic, but if you mean in terms of different styles of games, I think Valve, for what little they've developed, have spread themselves out a good deal.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BeachThunder

A few I can think of:

• Epic Games - Unreal Tournament, Fortnite, Paragon, Gears of War

Now that you mention it, this might be the best answer. Especially if you consider their older games too: Jazz Jackrabbit, ZZT, Brix, Tyrian, Dare to Dream, Silverball, Age of Wonders, Shadow Complex, Infinity Blade. It seems like they've had a go at pretty much every genre.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By OurSin_360

As far as modern developers i cant think of many, most people think of are actually publishers and have different teams working on different projects.

I think david jaffe has done some pretty wildly different games in terms of gameplay over his career, to varying degrees of success.

RikiGuitarist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FromSoftware

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Redhotchilimist

This depends on your perspective, I think, and what you want to disqualify. I'm pretty sure Nintendo as a whole has games in practically every genre and invented several of them, but they get a lot of shit for basically making "a new one of those" for each platform. So do you give them minus points for Ocarina of time, A Link to the Past, Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, or do you give them plus points for Warioware, Wario Land, the Super Mario platformers, the Mario RPG franchise, Rythm Heaven, Golden Sun, Mother, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, Zelda, Metroid, the Yoshi games, Kid Icarus, F-Zero, Smash Bros, Pikmin, Mario Kart, Kirby, Animal Crossing, Wii Sports, Donkey Kong Country, Splatoon, Punch-Out!!, Advance Wars and Pokemon?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as modern developers i cant think of many, most people think of are actually publishers and have different teams working on different projects.

I think david jaffe has done some pretty wildly different games in terms of gameplay over his career, to varying degrees of success.

If you want to talk about specific people, then I'd say Terry Cavanagh. That's guy's made all sorts of things...

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

FromSoftware

Most people probably won't think about this because they think of From as "that Dark Souls studio that came out of nowhere", but they've actually existed forever and have been pumping out all kinds of games, from Armored Core to Dark Souls to The Adventures of Cookie and Cream (which Dan played on this very site at one point) to Metal Wolf Chaos (which basically involves the US President fighting off an evil Vice President with a mech).

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grasshopper: Suda51 started as basically a visual novel developer which is the furthest thing I can think of than whatever the hell Let It Die is.

Go check out The Silver Case. It's a bit dated, but it still has that sense of style I love.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Icepick Lodge.

Action (like, not action at all but you can have guns and stuff ya know) RPG about a plague in a small town.

Adventure game where you're a soul in purgatory collecting 'colour'/

A fuckin' vehicle building, gnome collecting, gravity saving fun time.

And lastly a side scrolling horror survival (via hiding) 2D ghosties game.

Literally the only thing common to them is rampant philosophical musings.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ice Pick Lodge and ACE Team were going to be my answers, but they are already covered here. ACE Team especially, you never know what they'll do next.

I guess another I'd throw in is Creative Assembly. Sure they're mostly an RTS house, but once in a while you get a curveball like Alien Isolation or Spartan Total Warrior.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By odinsmana

Ice Pick lodge and ACE team are my answers as well. I am always super excited to hear what both teams are working on since it`s almost always completely different from what they have done before (more so with Ice Pick Lodge than ACE team) and just kinda really different from anything I have seen before at all. Teams like Blizzard and Epic have a diverse set of franchises, but they tend to work within established genres and just refine it and put a bit of their spin on it. Something like Rock of Ages or Quest for Gravity is just so weird, fun and fresh (though to be fair not always the best games).

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By MocBucket62

Next Level Games has a pretty eclectic lineup of games. They're perhaps best known for making Punch-Out for the Wii and Luigi's Mansion, Dark Moon. They also made Metroid Prime: Federation Force, the Super Mario Strikers games, Captain America: Super Soldier, NHL Hitz 2003 (Midway hockey game), and the Wii version of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon.

Also Iron Galaxy: Divekick, Videoball, Wreckateer and they had their hand on You Don't Know Jack in 2011. That's a pretty diverse list of games. They also made those re-release packages of classic Capcom fighters like Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike and Darkstalkers: Resurrection.

Oh and Sonic Team. If you take away they're track record with Sonic titles, they've made plenty of other games that all feel pretty unique like Phantasy Star Online, Nights into Dreams, Burning Rangers, Samba De Amigo, Billy Hatcher, Chu Chu Rocket AND the great Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Konami - MGSV, Pachinko, Bomberman, Health Clubs

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Neat to see ACE team get some acknowledgement. They always manage to make something fresh with their limited budget.

TuxedoCruise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TuxedoCruise

@justin258 said:
@rikiguitarist said:

FromSoftware

Most people probably won't think about this because they think of From as "that Dark Souls studio that came out of nowhere", but they've actually existed forever and have been pumping out all kinds of games, from Armored Core to Dark Souls to The Adventures of Cookie and Cream (which Dan played on this very site at one point) to Metal Wolf Chaos (which basically involves the US President fighting off an evil Vice President with a mech).

Have to concur. They are the most varied developer in recent memory. On top of those games, they've made survival horror, JRPGs, hack & slash, and first person adventure games. Even their Ninja Gaiden clone was decent for some dumb fun.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo. Yes they've been interating their games again and again but that's what happens when you've been around for as long as they have. They still make dumb weird games that people make fun of them for and hopefully they never stop doing that.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rockstar should be mentioned when you consider Midnight Club, Bully, Red Dead, The Warriors, GTA, Max Payne, Table Tennis, LA Noire, and Manhunt.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak said:

Nintendo. Yes they've been interating their games again and again but that's what happens when you've been around for as long as they have. They still make dumb weird games that people make fun of them for and hopefully they never stop doing that.

Nintendo is one step forward and two steps back when it comes to creativity to me. They span some genres, but most of their games are platformers and mini-games, the ones that aren't (Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, etc) get remade each gen like Madden does every year. To me, they're closer to Telltale. If Nintendo releases 6 games then probably 4 or 5 of them are going to be rehashes and one or two will be creative.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By csl316

Ska Studios has a consistent aesthetic, but they keep trying new things. The Dishwasher, Charlie Murder, Salt and Sanctuary, and even the old Zombies game are going for entirely different experiences.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Redhotchilimist

@deathstriker: I feel like the "year" to "gen" is what makes the big difference to me. If Nintendo made a new Zelda every year, than I would hate that as much as yearly Assassin's Creed gets on my nerves. But they tend to do two on each generation of consoles at most, except for ports. That's a new Zelda around every 5 years, and they're the only ones who make them besides occasional weirdos like Okami and Darksiders. They make 5 Smash Bros. in 15 years, each for different platforms and one of them being a crossplatform release on Wii U and 3DS.

You know what Telltale made in just the last five years on the same framework and in the same style? The Walking Dead, The Walking Dead Season 2, The Walking Dead: Michonne, The Walking Dead: A New Frontier, Batman: The Telltale Series, Minecraft Story Mode, The Wolf Among Us, Tales from the Borderlands and Game of Thrones. All of them besides A New Frontier was on 360. That's not even remotely close, to my mind.

Some can be argued for more than others, though. They make a lot of Pokemon games, while the F-Zero fans haven't gotten anything in a decade.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rockstar should be mentioned when you consider Midnight Club, Bully, Red Dead, The Warriors, GTA, Max Payne, Table Tennis, LA Noire, and Manhunt.

Most of those games were done by completely different developers.

Midnight Club and Read Dead were San Diego, Max Payne appears to be a mixture, Bully was Vancouver, The Warrios was Toronto, GTA and Manhunt were North and Manhunt 2 was London, LA Noire was Team Bondi who aren't even a Rockstar studio.

Same with Nintendo. They're a publisher, not a developer. If we're talking publisher then I think we'd all need to look at 1C as they've published something from probably every single genre.

Avatar image for pastor_richards
pastor_richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By pastor_richards

Tiny Tina

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Platinum! They seem to be best at character action games, but they do some other stuff and the CAGs they make are pretty unique.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Polyphony Digital. Their menu music is so weird, it's strange.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure if this even counts but... TOSE.

GuitarGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naughty dog

Rockstar

Fromsoftware

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By flippyandnod

Mediatonic

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@alexw00d: those are different studios inside Rockstar--aside from Team Bondi. 2k publishes Rockstar games. There are plenty of developers with multiple studios, and the majority of the gaming public wouldn't know or care which studio worked on the game; it's all Rockstar to them.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By TheHT

ACE Team immediately comes to mind. Double Fine's a good one, yeah.

Klei Entertainment as well when I think about it. Shank, Mark of the Ninja, Don't Starve, Invisible Inc. Beat 'em up, stealth, survival, TBS.

They seem like the opposite for some reason, but Blizzard at this point have a pretty varied bunch of games under their belt.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

@boozak: Over the years though their variety has been especially diverse.

Shigeru Miyamoto alone has had such a varied line up: Donkey Kong, early NES Sports game, Mario, Zelda, F-Zero, Mario Kart, Pilotwings, Wii Fit, etc.

Also shout out to Dan Marshall whose gone from The Swindle to Behold The Kickmen (a football game despite him knowing nothing about the sport)

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

If you count old studios Westwood is up there in term of diversity and quality.

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Clover

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: those are different studios inside Rockstar--aside from Team Bondi. 2k publishes Rockstar games. There are plenty of developers with multiple studios, and the majority of the gaming public wouldn't know or care which studio worked on the game; it's all Rockstar to them.

So because some people are wrong, we have to be wrong too?

Rockstar publishes games from its studios, just like Ubisoft publishes games its studios make, as do Sony etc etc. TakeTwo own, and I guess publish for, Rockstar.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:
@sloppydetective said:

So because some people are wrong, we have to be wrong too?

Rockstar publishes games from its studios, just like Ubisoft publishes games its studios make, as do Sony etc etc. TakeTwo own, and I guess publish for, Rockstar.

All the Rockstar games I mentioned were developed by Rockstar besides LA Noire. If it's Rockstar London, North, West, or whatever that still falls under Rockstar, it's not like Sunset Drive with Insomniac making it and Microsoft publishing it, so me naming Rockstar as very eclectic still stands.