My Worst Moment

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sashimi_biscut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By sashimi_biscut

I appreciate the apology for saying that word, but I wonder why this word is especially bad as apposed to others. There are many times when I listen to the podcast where I head ableist and semi misogynistic remarks that bother me, but I say nothing because I don't have the emotional energy to fight an uphill battle on forums. Don't get me wrong, the word Ryan said is very heinous, I just don't see why this word is apologized for while other degrading remarks on other types of people are okay. The word he used does warrant an apology that is for sure, I'm just saying why this word and not others?

The staff at Giant Bomb say bigoted things all the time, even going so far as to defend the misogynistic comment scandal around the fighting games community a while back. Why is this so different it warranted an apology? And by defend i don't mean all of them, just some of them.

I'm sorry if I broke any rules unintentionally with this post. I am still kind of new.

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#202  Edited By slowbird

It's also kind of weird that people use "lame" as an insult all the time. I sometimes wonder what people with a bad limp think about that.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#203  Edited By Mento  Moderator

It happens, dude. Patrick was extra aggressive, Brad was extra peevish, Will was ezcetra foolish and you were extra blue with the language. The lantern run brings out the worst in everyone. That's kind of why they're awesome, but I guess that's not really the correct observation to make at the moment.

Honestly, the fact you immediately apologized probably raised you up in some estimations. If the impressionable kids watching the stream finally get that the other, other f-bomb is something absolutely verboten, maybe the FPS online servers of the world will become a better place.

Jellybones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#204  Edited By Jellybones

Ryan <3

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#205  Edited By Claude
@slowbird said:

It's also kind of weird that people use "lame" as an insult all the time. I sometimes wonder what people with a bad limp think about that.

You're so lame.
jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By jewunit

I didn't watch and don't know what was said, but this video sums up my thoughts.

Keep calm and carry on, duder.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#208  Edited By WickedCestus

I know the feeling. Sometimes words just come out of your mouth, and you immediately wonder what messed up part of your brain thought that was a good idea. It takes a lot to actually apologize for it, and I commend you for that.

I absolutely hate that word, and I'm glad so many people on this site agree.

cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#209  Edited By cyraxible

As a queer I've even let it slip a couple times. Context is key to understanding slip ups like this. Thanks for being so forthright about this.

AxleBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By AxleBro

i think anyone who was offended to begin with is silly. Ryan never was nor will ever be the kind of person to offend groups of people. honestly i see no reason for anyone to be offended. its all about context imo. but then again i never care about what people say.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#211  Edited By Animasta

@sashimi_biscut: I don't think they necessarily defended that skeevy fighting game dude, just some of his thought processes specifically made about the e sports stuff; they made no defense against his blatant misogyny.

and I agree with you, even though they're probably one of the better groups with regard to language like this, they still have a few trouble spots. I was personally pretty offended when Jeff and Vinny did a deep voiced drag queen thing during the otomedius QL. it's just hard to stop using every other kind of derogatory word (I still use lame on occasion); though I think retarded should be the next one to go.

dr_ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#212  Edited By dr_ryan

I still dot think he did anything wrong, that word doesn't mean the same thug it did years ago.

But Ryan David disagrees and apologized like a stand up gentleman. No matter what your stance is on words, it's hard to argue that he's not one classy man.

Avatar image for kristov_romanov
kristov_romanov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By kristov_romanov

@slowbird said:

And the Galgun Happy Hour? And "from the fine makers of c**t"?

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By august
@The_Reflection said:

I still dot think he did anything wrong, that word doesn't mean the same thug it did years ago.

Ask a gay kid growing up in a rural part of the midwest what that word means.
It still means the same fucking thing.
WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#215  Edited By WickedCestus

@AxleFGK said:

i think anyone who was offended to begin with is silly. Ryan never was nor will ever be the kind of person to offend groups of people. honestly i see no reason for anyone to be offended. its all about context imo. but then again i never care about what people say.

It's not that people feel like Ryan is personally attacking them, it's just every time the word is used in casual conversation (especially by people as influential as the GB crew), it just promotes more use. It's a terrible word with bad connotations, and the more that people get called out on it, the less it's going to be said, and that's a good thing.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#216  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

You're classier than most to even go this far and be a man about your missteps. The stream was a great piece of content and I hope it goes up as uncut as possible even though I understand you'd might want to cut it down slightly.

As far as my strictly personal opinion is concerned - you didn't do anything wrong other than drop an overused curseword in a moment of excitement and frustration. I don't know a single gamer who hasn't done something similar. How much of a fucking pussy do you have to be to get offended at something like this? How do you grow up on this planet without being called every fucking name in the book anyway? No matter your predilections. I'd say, don't worry about it!

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By McGhee

@Animasta said:

I was personally pretty offended when Jeff and Vinny did a deep voiced drag queen thing during the otomedius QL.

Aww, I missed that? It sounds hilarious.

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#218  Edited By Aaron_G

Ryan we still love you. Thanks for being professional about this though.

Sporkbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By Sporkbane

Stay classy Ryan

All is forgiven!

customotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By customotto

@The_Reflection said:

Yes it does.

MosaicM80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By MosaicM80

@cyraxible said:

As a queer I've even let it slip a couple times. Context is key to understanding slip ups like this. Thanks for being so forthright about this.

Exactly how I feel, it's all about context. Glad to see other people see this as well. Thank you for your input as someone who isn't straight.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#222  Edited By Dany

Its fine.

Redhorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By Redhorn

Shit happens, dude. No worries.

Davin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#224  Edited By Davin

I'm not discussing Ryan's apology directly, if he feels the need to apologize that is all fine and well. Speaking about the broader subject, anyone who is offended by a freaking word needs to grow thicker skin. There are far worse things in the world to fret over then a few letters. If anyone is so emotionally fragile as to burst into tears when they see or hear a "bad" word is going to have a rough time in life. Be a stronger human being then that. Worry about real problems. Don't get all hurt over something, that in the end, is meaningless. If you don't like something, brush it off, consider whoever it was a dick and move on with your life.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By Brunchies

What did he say anyway, can't someone just post what he said for those of us who missed the livestream.

AllanIceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By AllanIceman

Good on you Ryan. This helps root out those words so it's not swept under the rug. Keep on keepin' on.

Avatar image for nancydrewfan123
NancyDrewFan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By NancyDrewFan123

@Brunchies: He used a hurtful slur used towards homosexuals.

cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By cyraxible

All of the people in this thread saying that it's not offensive and doesn't hold power clearly have a narrow world view. You can't decide for others if a pejorative is going to offend. Do you really think that as a majority you can decide what's offensive to the minority?

customotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By customotto

@august said:

@The_Reflection said:

Ask a gay kid growing up in a rural part of the midwest what that word means. It still means the same fucking thing.

Like two months ago near where I live two gay men were beaten with baseball bats while being called that multiple times. The obliviousness required to make a comment like that (it doesn't mean the same thing it used to) astounds me.

TehJedicake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By TehJedicake

Mistakes happen <3

bloodsoul5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By bloodsoul5

So ridiculous ryan, You have no need to apologize. You were saying it at a damn game. People need to grow some fucking balls and stop being offended at every little thing.

kosayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By kosayn

The horrors of team gameplay, and the beauty of non-reality-show unscripted entertainment. That's what this episode makes me think about.

I think most of us have done enough multiplayer to know that gamers can say unfortunate stuff in moments of passion. Stay amazing.

Thompson820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By Thompson820

I wasn't offended when I heard, more just amazed that it had come out of Ryan's mouth. Ryan's immediate apology and this more than make up for it, it was a heat of the moment thing and it shouldn't go any further than this. I'm impressed with how Ryan is owning it and dealing with it.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#234  Edited By pyromagnestir
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#235  Edited By Hailinel

@Davin said:

I'm not discussing Ryan's apology directly, if he feels the need to apologize that is all fine and well. Speaking about the broader subject, anyone who is offended by a freaking word needs to grow thicker skin. There are far worse things in the world to fret over then a few letters. If anyone is so emotionally fragile as to burst into tears when they see or hear a "bad" word is going to have a rough time in life. Be a stronger human being then that. Worry about real problems. Don't get all hurt over something, in the end, is meaningless. If you don't like something, brush it off, consider whoever it was a dick and move on with your life.

It sounds like you don't know what verbal abuse is truly capable of.

sashimi_biscut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By sashimi_biscut

@Davin said:

I'm not discussing Ryan's apology directly, if he feels the need to apologize that is all fine and well. Speaking about the broader subject, anyone who is offended by a freaking word needs to grow thicker skin. There are far worse things in the world to fret over then a few letters. If anyone is so emotionally fragile as to burst into tears when they see or hear a "bad" word is going to have a rough time in life. Be a stronger human being then that. Worry about real problems. Don't get all hurt over something, in the end, is meaningless. If you don't like something, brush it off, consider whoever it was a dick and move on with your life.

Hello what is privilege and bigotry? Please help!

indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By indieslaw

I'm glad to see Ryan acknowledge the importance and impact of the language he used, and I'm really dismayed to see many commenters completely dismiss it. Ryan's not kidding, this is a big fuck up. I don't doubt the sincerity of his apology, not at all. But to see so many people jump to praising him for apologizing without a thought for WHY this was a big fuck up is kind of disheartening.

It seems like Ryan does get it, and I hope that we as a community get it as well. This is language that has real power to wound people, and its use, especially casually, should be intolerable to a mature community.

TDot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By TDot

@Davin: Alright let's say you're called that throughout your life, in anger and in hate. You've been threatened or possibly been physically harmed while being called that word. Think that might mean something more to you at that point? Just think about other people's lives for a second.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's obvious he meant nothing by it, and if anyone thinks he did is mistaken.

customotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By customotto

@cyraxible said:

Do you really think that as a majority you can decide what's offensive to the minority?

Yes.

DrunkenWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By DrunkenWisdom

No worries man! Shit happens. You are still the bees knees!

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#242  Edited By JasonR86

@Davin said:

It's a group with a long and continued history of persecution. The word speaks to a much larger issue. It isn't just a 'word'. But Ryan, like all of us, grew up in a culture where that word was considered acceptable outside of the social injustices that inhibit this group. So he went back on old habits and made a mistake. He owned his mistake and that's that. So, to me, Ryan is free of persecution. But it isn't just a word. It's social injustice, segregation, and unfair persecution.

emperordahc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By emperordahc

You cool, bro.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By Brunchies

@NancyDrewFan123 said:

So the other f word, didn't south park do an episode on people being offended by that word 2 or so years ago. I mean I can see being offended if it was truly hateful but if its just a slip up like that, I think it should have been ignored and everyone should have moved on. Of course I don't think I'm in any kind of position to make a call on that so take what I say with a grain of salt.

baconbutty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By baconbutty

Kudos Ryan.

I knew you were sincere when you apologised immediately, but still I am so glad you did this.

You're exactly the stand up chap we thought you were, in spite of that little wobble. Which happens to us all occasionally.

cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By cyraxible

@CustomOtto: *sigh* Don't have to be so realistic about it...

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#247  Edited By Animasta

@Brunchies said:

@NancyDrewFan123 said:

So the other f word, didn't south park do an episode on people being offended by that word 2 or so years ago. I mean I can see being offended if it was truly hateful but if its just a slip up like that, I think it should have been ignored and everyone should have moved on. Of course I don't think I'm in any kind of position to make a call on that so take what I say with a grain of salt.

south park is a comedy show, you should not take any life lessons from it

nor louis CK in fact

Avatar image for nancydrewfan123
NancyDrewFan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By NancyDrewFan123

I think the best thing the Giant Bomb, and the gaming, community can do to support Ryan is to take what he said seriously. HE clearly believes what he did was wrong and that there as no excuse for it. Instead of trying to argue him out of his sincere and thoughtful apology, take it at face value and be glad he did the right thing.

If you thought that what Ryan did was classy, emulate it! The next time you mess up and say something hurtful and inappropriate, apologize without reservation. It makes all the difference. Even if in your heart of hearts, you don't care, suck it up. Don't try and tell someone why they weren't really offended. Don't try to make it "less bad" by saying you didn't really mean it in a bad way. Apologize WITHOUT RESERVATION and you'll be doing a favor to people who have it harder than you and probably be able to walk away without a big argument.

customotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By customotto

@JasonR86 said:

@Davin said:

It's a group with a long and continued history of persecution. The word speaks to a much larger issue. It isn't just a 'word'. But Ryan, like all of us, grew up in a culture where that word was considered acceptable outside of the social injustices that inhibit this group. So he went back on old habits and made a mistake. He owned his mistake and that's that. So, to me, Ryan is free of persecution. But it isn't just a word. It's social injustice, segregation, and unfair persecution.

Until 2003 it was still illegal in 14 states (including my own) for two gay men to have sex. It's hilarious that people seem to think that all homophobia has magically disappeared and it's okay to use these words because... south park louis c.k. words evolve

Avatar image for acethesuperhero
acethesuperhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By acethesuperhero

@NancyDrewFan123 said:

I think the best thing the GIant Bomb, and the gaming, community can do to support Ryan is to take what he said seriously. HE clearly believes what he did was wrong and that there as no excuse for it. Instead of trying to argue him out of his sincere and thoughtful apologize, take it at face value and be glad he did the right thing.

If you thought that what Ryan did was classy, emulate it! The next time you mess up and say something hurtful and inappropriate, apologize without reservation. It makes all the difference. Even if in your heart of hearts, you don't care, suck it up. Don't try and tell someone why they weren't really offended. Don't try to make it "less bad" by saying they didn't really mean it. Apologize WITHOUT RESERVATION and you'll be doing a favor to people who have it harder than you and probably be able to walk away without a big argument.

+1

Stop telling the man why he didn't fuck up - he knows he did, and pretty badly. Just support him in becoming a better man, and use it to become better people yourselves.