New to the Site, looking for RPGs

starleafgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By starleafgirl

Hi, are there any lists that are good for RPGs? I tried searching by the genre Role-playing, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Basically, I'm looking for any sort of info on RPGs in current consoles and handhelds.... I just want to look up a bunch of RPGs to file away for possible future purpose. Between WRPG and JRPG, I prefer JRPGs. Willing to look into tactical RPGs or action RPGs as well.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I need more than this or I'm going to tell you to play Radiant Historia and you will have to play it.

That is how it works.

darthvader300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By darthvader300

i like fallout kotor and skyrim

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

@LordXavierBritish said:

I need more than this or I'm going to tell you to play Radiant Historia and you will have to play it. That is how it works.

No. I do all that shit; you just plug Tribes: Ascend and Mass Effect 3 and stuff :P.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Dagbiker

I don't think there is any way to filter Genres yet, it looks like they where about to implement it, but never did, because every game is assigned a genre, but when you click on it, it gives you every single game on giant bomb.

bishna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By bishna

Tactical RPGs makes me think of XCOM: UFO Defense. Thank you for making me think of XCOM: UFO Defense.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By LordXavierBritish
@Video_Game_King said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

I need more than this or I'm going to tell you to play Radiant Historia and you will have to play it. That is how it works.

No. I do all that shit; you just plug Tribes: Ascend and Mass Effect 3 and stuff :P.

That's a good point, Tribes is a much better RPG than Radiant Historia.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

@LordXavierBritish:

Although I haven't played Tribes anything, I know for a fact that you're wrong.

starleafgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By starleafgirl

@LordXavierBritish said:

Lol, I have it already, thanks. XD

And thanks to others for the info.

I'm basically looking for the best/most entertaining RPGs (I like ones with good stories, preferably) for any console, from the last few years or so recently, so that I don't miss out on something good just 'cos I don't own that particular console yet. Good RPGs, particularly non-Western ones, don't come across very often anymore, so I thought I'd keep a list for future use. Xenoblade Chronicles, for instance, is going on this list even though I don't have a Wii and don't plan on owning one in the near future (might wait for Wii U).

The Mass Effect trilogy (or possibly just the last one) is high on my to-buy list, as well. I make an exception for sci-fi RPGs, since there aren't many worth playing.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By Dagbiker

Also, welcome to the site.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

resonance of fate

starleafgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By starleafgirl

@Dagbiker said:

Also, welcome to the site.

Thanks! :)

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Grissefar

Valkyria Chronicles - play it now

Yakuza 4 - sickest crime soap drama

Resonance of Fate - terrible characters and cutscenes, unbelievably slow pacing, really dull setting, cool and complex combat

Dark Souls - if you want to get sucked, in.

Chias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Chias

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Persona 4 yet, for shame comrades!

Ragnarok512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ragnarok512

@Grissefar said:

Valkyria Chronicles - play it now

I concur. It's a fun game. I'd also recommend Tales of Vesperia, though I think it's better if you have some people to play with.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By donchipotle

Tales of Graces f. It has a creepy lesbian groper.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ducksworth

Final Fantasy XII, or as it's natively pronounced "Fainaru Fantaji Exu Ai Ai".

The game gets a lot of mixed opinions but I for one loved it.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By Undeadpool

@starleafgirl: If you've still got a working PS2 (or PSP in a couple of cases) both Personas 3 & 4 are pretty much the best JRPGs I've played in the last two generations. Also since you're new to the site, and if you've already played Persona 4, check THIS out. It starts slow, but gets progressively better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tales of Vesperia

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NegativeCero

Dragon Quest IX is a great JRPG, especially if you have people to play it with.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together is easily one of the best strategy RPGs out there.

And I second Dark Souls as long as you know what you're going into and have the patience for it.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SlightConfuse

Nier has a great story(espeically the later endings)

Tactics ogre is great

Valkria chronicles more people need to play it

starleafgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By starleafgirl

@Undeadpool said:

@starleafgirl: If you've still got a working PS2 (or PSP in a couple of cases) both Personas 3 & 4 are pretty much the best JRPGs I've played in the last two generations. Also since you're new to the site, and if you've already played Persona 4, check THIS out. It starts slow, but gets progressively better.

You know, I had fun playing Persona and Persona 2, but... when the game starts making it so that you have to shoot yourself in the head in order to summon your Persona, that's just getting waaaaay too creepy/disturbing for me. XD That and the difficulty level of P3 and P4 (read that they're especially great for hardcore gamers, which I haven't been in, like, a decade) means they're a pass for me, though that video is pretty neat. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

I liked FFXII, haven't gotten FFXIII yet but it seems like the kind of game I'd like. I'm pretty obsessive about buying FF and DQ games, think I've got 'em all by now.

I haven't enjoyed a Tales game since the PS2... not sure they're for me anymore. Creepy lesbian groper, though? Lolz. I looked it up and you're right, that's just so creepy/silly/wtf. Put Tales of Vesperia on my list, looks more like something I'd like, thanks for the suggestion.

And thanks to others for the other suggestions. GiantBomb is a great resource for looking up info on these games...

EDIT: I'm checking consoles' individual game forums now, pretty much every forum has a topic about RPGs, yay.

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cubidog1

Tales of Vesperia is a good JRPG with a good story. (360) Dark Souls is a difficult RPG that is very western, but was made by a japanese developer. (360 & PS3) Chrono Trigger is an excellent JRPG. (SNES,DS,Wii,PS3) Valkyria Chronicles is a great tactical RPG with a good story. (PS3)

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By GreggD

You should totally pick up that Ys game that just came out on Steam. I know I'm gonna.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By PerryVandell

If you're willing to fall into the abyss, it doesn't get much better than Dark Souls.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#26  Edited By LordAndrew
Persona is a pushover compared to Nocturne. Some people are just sissies.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Video_Game_King

@starleafgirl said:

You know, I had fun playing Persona

HOW!?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mordukai

@Video_Game_King said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

Hey King. Why omit Dragon Age 2 from that list. That's also an RPG...of sorts.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Video_Game_King

@mordukai:

Because I haven't played Dragon Age 2. Or 1. Or any other possible Dragon Age games.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By matthias2437

Fallout, Kotor, Cthulhu Saves the World, Dragon Age: Origins, Never Winter Nights.

Avatar image for michaelfossbakk
michaelfossbakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By michaelfossbakk

Not from this generation, but Tales of Symphonia for the Gamecube is my favorite RPGs I have ever played and one of my favorite games I've ever played.

@Soapy86: Is it really good? I have it, but never played much of it. I loved Tales of Symphonia so...

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32  Edited By dillonwerner

You say you like JRPG's? I cannot recommend Lost Odyssey enough,

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PixelPrinny

Welcome to the site. Tales of Vesperia and Tales of Graces F are two good ones to get started. Valkyria Chronicles is great if you enjoy SRPGs, along with Disgaea 4. Atelier Rorona is awesome if you like crafting mechanics and something a little more "slice of life"ish. Radiant Historia or Dragon Quest IX are prolly your best bets if you're looking for something on the DS; Persona 3 Portable or FFVII Crisis Core are prolly the two best picks for PSP (aside from more Disgaea or Valkyria Chronicles).

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mordukai

@Video_Game_King said:

@mordukai:

Because I haven't played Dragon Age 2. Or 1. Or any other possible Dragon Age games.

Dragon Age Origins is a must to any RPG fan who grew up with Bioware/Obsidian/Black Isle games. Dragon Age 2 you can skip.

eternitymemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By eternitymemory

If you're gonna play Tales of Vesperia, you might also wanna try out Tales of Graces f. They're both unabashedly anime (all the Tales games are), but also pretty fun (at least Vesperia is. I haven't played Graces, but word on the street is that it's also good). Hey, and if you like those two, Tales of Xillia is probably going to be localized in a year or three, so you also got that to look forward to!

I'm currently playing Dragon Age: Origins, a wrpg, and I've been having a good time with it. It's medieval fantasy, jsyk.

@LordAndrew said:

Persona is a pushover compared to Nocturne. Some people are just sissies.

That's for damn sure. Persona 3, 4, and SMT: Nocturne are all good jrpgs, but Nocturne is definitely waaay more challenging than the two more recent Persona games. Nocturne is also pretty bleak. I actually found it a bit depressing. The only party members are demons that are caught during battles, so the main character is pretty much alone and friendless. But if you think P3 is hard and creepy, you're definitely not gonna find Nocturne to be very fun at all.

This thread reminds me that I need to play Valkryia Chronicles, too. I hear nothing but good things about it.

EDIT: I just remembered that I really liked Phantom Brave, an older tactical jrpg on the PS2 that's made by the same guys that put out the Disgaea games. You might want to give those a try, perhaps? I can only tentatively recommend them since they seem to be really hit and miss with people. Suikoden V is another older PS2 jrpg that more people should play because it's awesome despite its slow beginning.

starleafgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By starleafgirl

@Video_Game_King said:

@starleafgirl said:

HOW!?

LOL, I never said it was easy to enjoy. Just that I was looking for something old-school at the time and that did it. ;D I got a kick out of some of the options in talking to monsters, too.

@mordukaisaid:

@Video_Game_King said:

@mordukai:

Dragon Age Origins is a must to any RPG fan who grew up with Bioware/Obsidian/Black Isle games. Dragon Age 2 you can skip.

That's how I feel about it, too, based on what I've seen and read. :)

@eternitymemory:

Tales of Xillia looks interesting! Definitely on my radar. Not sure about Phantom Brave being my thing (my sister, who loves Disgaea, might have it, I'll have to check!), but I definitely liked the Suikoden games; think I have them all by now, lol.

And yeah, I won't even go near the Shin Megami Tensei games, for fear of the difficulty level. I know challenging games are great for the hardcore gamers who are always looking for that next back-breaking challenge, but that's not me. I still get the thrill of completing something (or beating someone in Street Fighter, lol), but I'm not looking for the most hardcore challenges ever. Like, I'll play FFVII and enjoy it back to front, picking up some hidden/secret stuff along the way, but I'm not going to hunt down and try again and again until I beat all the WEAPONs.

--

To everyone else, thanks for all the suggestions, some really good ones in there. :o

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Video_Game_King

@starleafgirl said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@starleafgirl said:

HOW!?

LOL, I never said it was easy to enjoy. Just that I was looking for something old-school at the time and that did it. ;D I got a kick out of some of the options in talking to monsters, too.

But yea, the responses could be pretty cool.
But yea, the responses could be pretty cool.