Nintendo has won this generation well beyond console sales.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#101  Edited By oldschool
@Milkman said:
" Yeah yeah it's great that the other consoles are following suit with the motion controls and all that but at the end of the day, my Wii is still collecting dust. So...whatevs. "
Yes and my 360 is collecting dust, which probably is not good from a RRoD point of view.  Not relevant though.  

Blog points - 2 of them:
  • Wii won sales race.
  • Wii changed the market as the competitors who resisted and derided it, are following it, changing the entire market.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#102  Edited By Afroman269

Yah we get it Nintendo won based on sales. Also yah thanks for introducing motion controls. IMO 360 and PS3 is for the core gamers. The Wii is just a platform for minigames. Yes I have a Wii but the damn thing collects dust because the last games I bought for that thing was Super Smash Bros Brawl and Metroid Prime 3. On the games side of things Nintendo finished dead last.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By oldschool
@Afroman269 said:
" Yah we get it Nintendo won based on sales. Also yah thanks for introducing motion controls. IMO 360 and PS3 is for the core gamers. The Wii is just a platform for minigames. Yes I have a Wii but the damn thing collects dust because the last games I bought for that thing was Super Smash Bros Brawl and Metroid Prime 3. On the games side of things Nintendo finished dead last. "
Why is that the only thing people talk about.  It is a broken record.  But I am gald you agree with my blog points.

For the love of SpongeBob can people read - NO VALUE JUDGEMENT.  I make no claims as to whether it is good, bad or indifferent.  It is good that there is innovation, but the outcome of that innovation is personal opinion.  My only opinion is about how it will be applied and marketed.
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By Seppli
@Alex_V said:
"
@Seppli said:
" @oldschool: My argument still stands. Nintendo did fail their core audience. They tapped into the market of succermoms (fitness) and drunks (minigames). Nothing Nintendo offers, has any appeal to me. This generation, Nintendo has lost me. I care about what I want. I don't give two shits about their sales. They don't mean nothing to me.That's my perspective on this matter. Nintendo lost me. Nintendo lost the core audience. Nintendo doesn't get us. Simple as that.Belitteling my opinion by calling me immature, shows a great deal of disrespect. For that, sir, I spit on you! "
What could Nintendo do to win you back Seppli? If new Mario and Metroid titles don't excite you, then it's doubtful that anything they could do ever will.I can understand if you don't like fitness games or mini-game collections. But if other people do then isn't that cool? If the older generation are finally getting into games isn't that something to celebrate? I think it's cool that people are waking up to the potential of games. "
By investing all that money into some serious research and developement.  Freeing the game developers community of all technological boundries. Gaming limited only by the imagination and the craftsmanship of the devs.

I want to see them invest into futuristic technologies like 'ONlive'. Building a supercomputer network for some serious cloud computing. Investing their money into a better gaming future.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Afroman269
@oldschool said:
"
@Afroman269 said:
" Yah we get it Nintendo won based on sales. Also yah thanks for introducing motion controls. IMO 360 and PS3 is for the core gamers. The Wii is just a platform for minigames. Yes I have a Wii but the damn thing collects dust because the last games I bought for that thing was Super Smash Bros Brawl and Metroid Prime 3. On the games side of things Nintendo finished dead last. "
Why is that the only thing people talk about.  It is a broken record.  But I am gald you agree with my blog points.

For the love of SpongeBob can people read - NO VALUE JUDGEMENT.  I make no claims as to whether it is good, bad or indifferent.  It is good that there is innovation, but the outcome of that innovation is personal opinion.  My only opinion is about how it will be applied and marketed.
"
To me it looks like you are only giving a slanted view to all of this. Why don't you mention anything about how for every solid wii game there are at least 15 shit wii games are released as well? My opinion is that you wouldn't include that because your not exactly a core gamer if you don't really enjoy playing games for the 360 or PS3. All your proving is that the Wii has won this generation yet the average core gamer doesn't give a shit about this thread because the games they want to play are on a 360 or PS3.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Al3xand3r

So you already know what their R&D skyhigh costs of the past years are being put into, and it's nothing big? They invested in technologies for the Wii in the 00s, they invested in technologies for the motion plus in the past year, and both of those have certainly led to a better future seeing as they've at the very least sparked competition in that field. It's clear you're simply biased and Alex is right, they could never do something to please you.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#107  Edited By scroll
@oldschool:  Not maybe. NEVER.
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#108  Edited By End_Boss

No Caption Provided

I don't know which is sadder: console bashing threads or console defense threads.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By oldschool
@Seppli said:
"
@Alex_V said:
"
@Seppli said:
" @oldschool: My argument still stands. Nintendo did fail their core audience. They tapped into the market of succermoms (fitness) and drunks (minigames). Nothing Nintendo offers, has any appeal to me. This generation, Nintendo has lost me. I care about what I want. I don't give two shits about their sales. They don't mean nothing to me.That's my perspective on this matter. Nintendo lost me. Nintendo lost the core audience. Nintendo doesn't get us. Simple as that.Belitteling my opinion by calling me immature, shows a great deal of disrespect. For that, sir, I spit on you! "
What could Nintendo do to win you back Seppli? If new Mario and Metroid titles don't excite you, then it's doubtful that anything they could do ever will.I can understand if you don't like fitness games or mini-game collections. But if other people do then isn't that cool? If the older generation are finally getting into games isn't that something to celebrate? I think it's cool that people are waking up to the potential of games. "
By investing all that money into some serious research and developement.  Freeing the game developers community of all technological boundries. Gaming limited only by the imagination and the craftsmanship of the devs.I want to see them invest into futuristic technologies like 'ONlive'. Building a supercomputer network for some serious cloud computing. Investing their money into a better gaming future. "
I agree.

I want them to partner up with a major computer developer.  I choose Apple, but I know they piss off just as many people as Nintendo, but dammit, Apple make great product.  They don't have the resources to risk a major development on their own.  What they do I believe, they do well.  

I'ii go off topic myself to expand your post.  I would like to see Nintendo licence the Wii to be used inside a Blu-Ray player, Panasonic (like the PanasonicQ) and use technology within it to upscale the graphics.  No idea it is doable, but it is just a thought.  Then people could have a Wii and Blu-Ray player in a single package.  I agree there is a lot of things could do better.  I get annoyed at them as much as the next rational guy.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Al3xand3r

Not reading or properly comprehending posts yet still being judgemental of them is worse than both, End_Boss.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#111  Edited By AgentJ

Oldschool, i am shocked and kind of impressed that you did this. I have little doubt you knew what kind of responses you'd get, yet you did it anyway, and for that I salute you. 

What Oldschool has done here is no less impressive than jumping into a pit of hungry lions, armed only with a nail clipper, and proceed to try and explain to the lions why their nails need to be trimed. 
His points are simple yet valid. Nintendos strategy worked far better than the competition this generation, and as such they won this time. that isnt to say they havent allowed a ton of crap marketed at preteens to be put on the console, or that they dissapointed "core" gamers by not putting powerful machinery in the box, but both of those points were also true for the Playstation 2, and we know how well that turned out. 
Is this really how Giantbomb reacts when a user makes a blog post that examines the business of gaming? He is not trying to be a fanboy, though i'm sure that is what many users immediately thought. He is simply making a well thought out blog post examining the industry. Take your complaints about how the Wii "has no games" elsewhere. 

(Just a side note, here is what i think of anyone who says Nintendo has abandoned the core gamer:)

No Caption Provided

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#112  Edited By get2sammyb
@FlamingHobo said:
" Nintendo didn't win my gaming generation this time around, Microsoft did. "
What are you basing that on? Microsoft's lead on Sony is miniscule when you take into consideration Nintendo's domination of both of them.

If you mean it's because Microsoft have provided you with satisfying games, then that's your opinion, and that's cool, but Oldschool is right.

The fact that both competitors have essentially "copied" totally suggests Nintendo have dictated this gen.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By oldschool
@Afroman269 said:
"
@oldschool said:
"
@Afroman269 said:

"
To me it looks like you are only giving a slanted view to all of this. Why don't you mention anything about how for every solid wii game there are at least 15 shit wii games are released as well? My opinion is that you wouldn't include that because your not exactly a core gamer if you don't really enjoy playing games for the 360 or PS3. All your proving is that the Wii has won this generation yet the average core gamer doesn't give a shit about this thread because the games they want to play are on a 360 or PS3. "
I am a gamer.  Full stop.  Bioshock not core?  Persona not core?  Zelda not core?  I play what I enjoy.  I don't enjoy FPS (except Bioshock) becasue they bore me and they make me physically ill.  I don't play fighters mcuh - I have them, quite a few, becasue they bore me quickly.  I like RPG, Strategy (especially PC) and certain simulations.

The average gamer doesn't give a shit about this thread, yet spends many a moment posting it to tell they don't give a shit.  
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Afroman269
@get2sammyb said:
"
@FlamingHobo said:
What are you basing that on? Microsoft's lead on Sony is miniscule when you take into consideration Nintendo's domination of both of them.If you mean it's because Microsoft have provided you with satisfying games, then that's your opinion, and that's cool, but Oldschool is right.The fact that both competitors have essentially "copied" totally suggests Nintendo have dictated this gen. "
I completely agree. There are many aspects to decide on how someone wins this generation. In pure hardware sales Nintendo wins. Last gen was much easier to decide the winner because PS2 won in sheer hardware sales and the lineup of software titles that were popular.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By oldschool
@End_Boss said:
" I don't know which is sadder: console bashing threads or console defense threads. "
In fact it is neither.  I don't which is sadder.  Your comment or the fact that you didn't read it properly.
Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Gruff182

Fact 1: Technically Nintendo has won the generation in terms of sales and market growth.

Fact 2: The majority of the Wii's library is of poor quality and to "gamers" atleast, doesn't even touch the surface of the quality of titles on the 360 and PS3.

Fact 3: If your a gamer in this generation and ypu spend all your time playing and defending the Wii, then I feel for you. But hey, what ever floats your boat. Enjoy waving your arms around, whilst the rest of us are playing inFAMOUS and Fable.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Afroman269
@oldschool said:
"
@Afroman269 said:
"
@oldschool said:
"
@Afroman269 said:

"
To me it looks like you are only giving a slanted view to all of this. Why don't you mention anything about how for every solid wii game there are at least 15 shit wii games are released as well? My opinion is that you wouldn't include that because your not exactly a core gamer if you don't really enjoy playing games for the 360 or PS3. All your proving is that the Wii has won this generation yet the average core gamer doesn't give a shit about this thread because the games they want to play are on a 360 or PS3. "
I am a gamer.  Full stop.  Bioshock not core?  Persona not core?  Zelda not core?  I play what I enjoy.  I don't enjoy FPS (except Bioshock) becasue they bore me and they make me physically ill.  I don't play fighters mcuh - I have them, quite a few, becasue they bore me quickly.  I like RPG, Strategy (especially PC) and certain simulations.

The average gamer doesn't give a shit about this thread, yet spends many a moment posting it to tell they don't give a shit.  
"
I don't remember saying that games like persona or zelda were not core. I see now that you have different tastes in games for I do enjoy FPS as well as RPGs yet I would prefer for you to stop shooting down people's comments especially when people make comments about the Wii's library of few blockbuster titles compared to other consoles.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By oldschool
@get2sammyb said:
"
@FlamingHobo said:
What are you basing that on? Microsoft's lead on Sony is miniscule when you take into consideration Nintendo's domination of both of them.If you mean it's because Microsoft have provided you with satisfying games, then that's your opinion, and that's cool, but Oldschool is right.The fact that both competitors have essentially "copied" totally suggests Nintendo have dictated this gen. "
And that is all I am saying.

Of course I filled it out with opinions and observations.  It is a pretty think blog when we don't construct a story or theme around it.

The rest of the time is attacks based on not reading it properly.  For the record, I do believe the PS3 is the best hardware this gen.  it didn't make me buy it though.  Power isn't everything.  Fun is  and fun is personal.  If we all liked the same thing, we would have one cnsole to buy and about 10 games a year to buy.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Afroman269
@Gruff182 said:
" Fact 1: Technically Nintendo has won the generation in terms of sales and market growth.Fact 2: The majority of the Wii's library is of poor quality and to "gamers" atleast, doesn't even touch the surface of the quality of titles on the 360 and PS3.Fact 3: If your a gamer in this generation and ypu spend all your time playing and defending the Wii, then I feel for you. But hey, what ever floats your boat. Enjoy waving your arms around, whilst the rest of us are playing inFAMOUS and Fable. "
You couldn't have put that in a more better way and with that I'm off to play some more RE5.
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#120  Edited By flaminghobo
@get2sammyb: Just my opinion mate, due to more satisfying games coming my way on the xbox than the latter. You hit the nail pretty much on the head though with all your points.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By AgentJ
@Afroman269 said:
"
I don't remember saying that games like persona or zelda were not core. I see now that you have different tastes in games for I do enjoy FPS as well as RPGs yet I would prefer for you to stop shooting down people's comments especially when people make comments about the Wii's library of few blockbuster titles compared to other consoles.
"
For gods sake, he's commenting on the business side of gaming, not on the consumers side. Seemingly no one has understood that, and assumed he's attacking everyone else. People need to go outside, take a walk, come back and read this again, without looking for attacks that arent there
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By oldschool
@Afroman269 said:
I don't remember saying that games like persona or zelda were not core. I see now that you have different tastes in games for I do enjoy FPS as well as RPGs yet I would prefer for you to stop shooting down people's comments especially when people make comments about the Wii's library of few blockbuster titles compared to other consoles."
You commented that I mustn't be a gamer.  Games are not relevant to the blog.  Why are you missing that.  I am not going to defend the Wii library, nor am I going to glorify it.  Consequently I will point out omments on the PS3 and 360 library as not being relevant to the blog.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Al3xand3r
@AgentJ said:
"
@Afroman269 said:
"
"
For gods sake, he's commenting on the business side of gaming, not on the consumers side. Seemingly no one has understood that, and assumed he's attacking everyone else. People need to go outside, take a walk, come back and read this again, without looking for attacks that arent there
"
It's the natural instinct of a fanboy. Anything that makes the "opposition" they feel so strongly against look "good" in any way, factual or not, has to be destroyed. Just as this thread got destroyed with senseless bashing over "no gaemz" and whatever else (sorry, all your arguments have been shot down in actually related threads, whackos). Everyone's just going "LALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU I LOVE MY CONSOLE AND IT'S THE BEST AND YOU'RE THE BIGGEST FANBOY IN THE WORLD. ME? TOTALLY NOT, that other system is OK too by me!!11" or something.

Don't blame them, their fanboyism really makes them completely oblivious to the reality of this post which simply takes a look at the state of the industry rather than point out what is best, what is worst, and what should be killed with fire, as all that is 100% subjective and irrelevant.
Avatar image for illogicalbeetle
IllogicalBeetle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By IllogicalBeetle
I have just read this thread and I have to say, some guys take this stuff too seriously.  oldschool is correct in his statements that Nintendo's console won the sales race to a point that likely neither the 360 or PS3 will catch Wii.  Furthermore, the adoption of motion control technology by MS and Sony indicate that the market could be forever changed by the sales of the Wii.  The direction I WISHED this thread had taken (and almost did for a second) goes as follows - 

Nintendo has wiped the floor in terms of console sales and that is sweet for them.  The motion control certainly could change the face of console gaming if developers can really get them integrated well.  The larger impact that Nintendo has had on the market can be seen not by what MS and Sony are doing, rather by what they aren't doing.  Neither MS or Sony are in development of a new console.  The 360 and PS3 turn 4 and 3 respectively in November.  Typically, a system has a shelf-life of between 5 and 6 years.  MS should at least be hinting about the development of a new platform, but there is no indication said R&D is in process.  I think this could be due to the fact that a system with half the technical capabilities is outselling them so handily.   The market is dictating that graphics are not the only thing that sells systems.  In fact, from a solely business perspective (console sales) graphical capability is the least effective selling point (Wii is first in sales ATM, PS3 I believe is still in 3rd).  This could be GREAT for gamers.  

1.)  A few more years squeezed out of that 400 dollar system before plopping down 600 for a XBOX720 or PS4.  
2.)  Maybe gameplay will become revolutionized, not necessarily by motion controls, but by allowing developers more time with the platforms.  
3.)  Perhaps motion control will be everything it was in Galaxy or Metroid Prime3.  Maybe it will be taken even further than either of those games, and on games that would be compelling without motion control such as that pair.  We can hope.  So far, I haven't played a Wii game that has impressed me more than those two titles, so at over a year old they are still my reference.

The flip side -
1.) Sony and MS may never again release a system that costs more to produce at launch than they can sell it for (PS, PS2 and PS3 all lost Sony serious cash that they recouped in licensing).  If Nintendo can release hardware that makes a profit on launch day... why can't MS and Sony? 
-For gamers and developers who want to see the line of graphics pushed constantly, the tide will turn back to PC.  Great for PC gamers.  Probably less so for console players.
2.) If motion control is expected to be a part of a title and forced on the developer for some weird reason (MS and Sony have powerful lawyers) gameplay could suffer.  If not gameplay, the game itself.
3.) Competition drives all markets.  With no new consoles on the horizon, don't expect any price drops on systems that would normally be in their twilight and thereby see a 25% or larger drop in MSRP.

So, that is a starting point that I hope someone runs with.  I think this could be a good thread and I think that you make a valid point and open an interesting topic.  Nintendo wins in numbers.  MS and Sony react to said console sales, and (I would assume) the more important profit per console.  The Wii will change gaming.  I hope for the better.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By AgentJ
@Al3xand3r said:
"
@AgentJ said:
"
@Afroman269 said:
"
"
"
It's the natural instinct of a fanboy. Anything that makes the "opposition" they feel so strongly against look "good" in any way, factual or not, has to be destroyed. Just as this thread got destroyed with senseless bashing over "no gaemz" and whatever else (sorry, all your arguments have been shot down in actually related threads, whackos). Everyone's just going "LALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU I LOVE MY CONSOLE AND IT'S THE BEST AND YOU'RE THE BIGGEST FANBOY IN THE WORLD. ME? TOTALLY NOT, that other system is OK too by me!!11" or something.Don't blame them, their fanboyism really makes them completely oblivious to the reality of this post which simply takes a look at the state of the industry rather than point out what is best, what is worst, and what should be killed with fire, as all that is 100% subjective and irrelevant. "
You know ALexander, saying stuff like that isn't helping. Its just making people get defensive. I dont think they are fanboys, but i do think that they've heard a lot of anti Nintendo rhetoric ever since the Wii was unvieled, not to mention that most sites dont really put a lot of effort into showing off Wii games anymore. Nothing is going to change, but you dont need to make things worse. 
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#126  Edited By Dalai
@AgentJ said:
"
@Afroman269 said:
"
"
"
There we go.  Nintendo has pretty much won the war for the reasons oldschool mentioned (pure hardware sales and industry influence) and they did it without the help from much of the core gaming community that opted for the 360 or PS3.

From the pure games library perspective, declaring a winner in the console war is tougher to determine unless you want to go by pure numbers like attach rates, Metacritic scores, overall software sales, or some other measurement of success.  I think most people understand here that the 360 may be the clear winner among the hardcore, but the industry is much bigger and more diverse than ever.

Perhaps the true winner this generation is gaming in general.  Casuals have a console to call their own and the enthusiasts have their games.
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Seppli
@oldschool said:
"
@Seppli said:
"
  • Yes, Nintendo did realize the potential of motions controls.
  • Yes, Nintendo did win over the casual market by freeing gaming of the stigma of laziness, inactivity and turning people into fat, pimply blobs.
  • Yes, Nintendo does print money with their products.
  • Yes, the competition follows in Nintendos path

1. No, the motion controls do nothing for me, because the Wii is lacking adequate technology, capable of firing up modern engines for fully realized environments to play in.
  2. No, the Wii demographic doesn't help the industry to refine their art, because they aren't educated game consumers. Product quality doesn't count for much, when it comes to the Wii audience. This holiday sales will show the full extend of the Wii audiences lack of appreciation of quality games.
  3. No, Nintendo printing money doesn't help me at all. Because they prove, that selling glass perls to Indians is the most lucrative way of doing business. Nintendos success sets the worst example.
  4. No, Nintendos heritage aren't motion controls. It's selling weak hardware for a huge profit. The next generation of hardware will show, how much damage Nintendo has dealt to our favorite pastime.
In conclusion. Nintendo didn't win this generation. Nintendo only successfully scorched the earth for generations to come. Nintendo is the bain of my life! "
Whilst I don't agree with you on the points which are not part of the blog, I understand they are valid points to you.

Again with the point which is part of the blog - heritage.  You are not disagreeing with me as I made no value judgement.  My only point is that the market changed and Nintendo changed it.  Good, bad or indifferent is the decision of tihe individual.  However, it is fact that it has changed and Nintendo will be remembered for it, which is where I draw the conclsuion that they won more than the sales race.
"
By your proclamation, that Nintendo is the winner of this generation,  you made an evaluation, not an observation. It rubs me the wrong way.

The point I take is, that winning, in this case, is about winning me over. Not about how many other people Nintendo has won over (arguably), since gaming is a personal matter to me, not a business affair. So unless you are in the industry, I don't understand your point, because I can't relate to Nintendos financial success as a win. They are an epic fail to me.

The only way, Nintendo could win me over this generation, is by offering a service comperable to 'OnLive' on the Wii, enabling me to play games like 'Crysis' at 60 FPS at full graphical excellence. I don't hold my breath.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well I'll be... Just as you think the shit has hit the fan, here comes a brand-new user to tell you "hey! don't give up on mankind yet!" with a splash. Thx Beetle, would read again.

@Seppli: You do not dictate who the winner is, the world does, and oldschool's post has tried to do that by observing the world. You can only dictate who is your favorite, regardless of who the winner is. Obviously oldschool could have never made a thread pointing out your favorite, unless he was your buddy and knew your likes and dislikes. So, no, Nintendo doesn't have to win you over to be a winner. Just as the 360 didn't have to win me over to be your favorite, as it so very clearly is. Though I'm not sure, does the 360 run Crysis @ 60 fps? You're a little contradictory there, especially since tons of the high profile HD titles run @ 30 fps. Is the 360 or the PC (as it is mine, but I'd never proclaim it to be a winner) your favorite? Actually scratch that, I don't care what your favorite is, I'm just making an observation.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By oldschool
@IllogicalBeetle said:
"
I have just read this thread and I have to say, some guys take this stuff too seriously.  oldschool is correct in his statements that Nintendo's console won the sales race to a point that likely neither the 360 or PS3 will catch Wii.  Furthermore, the adoption of motion control technology by MS and Sony indicate that the market could be forever changed by the sales of the Wii.  The direction I WISHED this thread had taken (and almost did for a second) goes as follows - 

Nintendo has wiped the floor in terms of console sales and that is sweet for them.  The motion control certainly could change the face of console gaming if developers can really get them integrated well.  The larger impact that Nintendo has had on the market can be seen not by what MS and Sony are doing, rather by what they aren't doing.  Neither MS or Sony are in development of a new console.  The 360 and PS3 turn 4 and 3 respectively in November.  Typically, a system has a shelf-life of between 5 and 6 years.  MS should at least be hinting about the development of a new platform, but there is no indication said R&D is in process.  I think this could be due to the fact that a system with half the technical capabilities is outselling them so handily.   The market is dictating that graphics are not the only thing that sells systems.  In fact, from a solely business perspective (console sales) graphical capability is the least effective selling point (Wii is first in sales ATM, PS3 I believe is still in 3rd).  This could be GREAT for gamers.  

1.)  A few more years squeezed out of that 400 dollar system before plopping down 600 for a XBOX720 or PS4.  
2.)  Maybe gameplay will become revolutionized, not necessarily by motion controls, but by allowing developers more time with the platforms.  
3.)  Perhaps motion control will be everything it was in Galaxy or Metroid Prime3.  Maybe it will be taken even further than either of those games, and on games that would be compelling without motion control such as that pair.  We can hope.  So far, I haven't played a Wii game that has impressed me more than those two titles, so at over a year old they are still my reference.

The flip side -
1.) Sony and MS may never again release a system that costs more to produce at launch than they can sell it for (PS, PS2 and PS3 all lost Sony serious cash that they recouped in licensing).  If Nintendo can release hardware that makes a profit on launch day... why can't MS and Sony? 
-For gamers and developers who want to see the line of graphics pushed constantly, the tide will turn back to PC.  Great for PC gamers.  Probably less so for console players.
2.) If motion control is expected to be a part of a title and forced on the developer for some weird reason (MS and Sony have powerful lawyers) gameplay could suffer.  If not gameplay, the game itself.
3.) Competition drives all markets.  With no new consoles on the horizon, don't expect any price drops on systems that would normally be in their twilight and thereby see a 25% or larger drop in MSRP.

So, that is a starting point that I hope someone runs with.  I think this is a good thread and I think that you make a valid point and open an interesting topic.  Nintendo wins in numbers.  MS and Sony react to said console sales, and (I would assume) the more important profit per console.  The Wii will change gaming.  I hope for the better."
Welcome first time poster.  Well put.

I do believe that it would be bad if a game console manufacturer never strived for raw power again.  Whilst I don't have the PS3, I admire it.  For me PS3 and 360 kind of compete, but I see consoles as complimentary.  Doing things differently gives a reason for buying them.  I don't want a single console.  I hope that the success of the Wii and motion controls doesn't harm the future of gaming, and I highly doubt it will.  Traditional controllers are going nowhere.  They will be improved but still around.

I also believe the Wii has chamged things for the better.  It forces through market needs to research and adapt.  Think of the changes as additions as opposed to replacements.  Most assuredly they will be.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By oldschool
@Seppli said:
"By your proclamation, that Nintendo is the winner of this generation,  you made an evaluation, not an observation. It rubs me the wrong way. The point I take is, that winning, in this case, is about winning me over. Not about how many other people Nintendo has won over (arguably), since gaming is a personal matter to me, not a business affair. So unless you are in the industry, I don't understand your point, because I can't relate to Nintendos financial success as a win. They are an epic fail to me.The only way, Nintendo could win me over this generation, is by offering a service comperable to 'OnLive' on the Wii, enabling me to play games like 'Crysis' at 60 FPS at full graphical excellence. I don't hold my breath. "
I will make a point I have made before and you can make of it what  yo will.  I think the 360 has the best library of gamers, if you take an objective (as possible) view on it.  I wold never argue otherwise and haven't.  Yet so few games appeal to me.  Yes, there is a lot of crap on the Wii but I am not looking.  I am looking at all the games that do appeal to me.

Still not the point of my blog.  This isn't about declaring a winner of this gen based on opinion.  That is a subject for many other threads that have happened and will happen.
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Seppli

Probably I have to explain the concept of perspective.

Everything you state is but a reflection of Nintendo seen from the point of view you chose. The facts you base your statement on, aren't viable facts to me from my point of view. If I take your point view and entertain your train of thought, you are right, Nintendo won. But that isn't true to me. Unless you claim to possess the all-seeing eye and state the nature of Nintendo is pure win, your point is just as much tainted by a personal viewpoint as mine and thus is not of undeniable truth.

I simply deny your claim to truth and fact.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By AgentJ
@Seppli said:
" Probably I have to explain the concept of perspective. Everything you state is but a reflection of Nintendo seen from the point of view you chose. The facts you base your statement on, aren't viable facts to me from my point of view. If I take your point view and entertain your train of thought, you are right, Nintendo won. But that isn't true to me. Unless you claim to possess the all-seeing eye and state the nature of Nintendo is pure win, your point is just as much tainted by a personal viewpoint as mine and thus is not of undeniable truth.I simply deny your claim to truth and fact. "
Seppli, i have a hard time believing what you are doing here. Nintendo has hands down won the console generation from a buisness perspective, which is the one that Old School has taken from the very begninning, and has made that point abundantly clear. His post only deals with the industry, not with the quality and number of games available. He is using hard numbers. You arent even arguing the same point. Whether or not the 360 is the better console for "gamers" isnt something Oldschool is arguing to any extent. 
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By oldschool
@Seppli said:
" Probably I have to explain the concept of perspective. Everything you state is but a reflection of Nintendo seen from the point of view you chose. The facts you base your statement on, aren't viable facts to me from my point of view. If I take your point view and entertain your train of thought, you are right, Nintendo won. But that isn't true to me. Unless you claim to possess the all-seeing eye and state the nature of Nintendo is pure win, your point is just as much tainted by a personal viewpoint as mine and thus is not of undeniable truth.I simply deny your claim to truth and fact. "
Fair enough.  I am taking a simple & constrained view based on 2 points.  It is my blog, so I wrote with that perspective in mind.  What you are talking about is a broader and contextual approach.  If you wrote your own blog, then you would be setting the agenda according to your own mindset.  I can respect that.  What I wrote is however true though - within my framework and that is what we do when we write.  Then isn't anythng factually incorrect with what I said, so I am cmfortable with it.
IllogicalBeetle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By IllogicalBeetle
@oldschool said:
"
Welcome first time poster.  Well put.

I do believe that it would be bad if a game console manufacturer never strived for raw power again.  Whilst I don't have the PS3, I admire it.  For me PS3 and 360 kind of compete, but I see consoles as complimentary.  Doing things differently gives a reason for buying them.  I don't want a single console.  I hope that the success of the Wii and motion controls doesn't harm the future of gaming, and I highly doubt it will.  Traditional controllers are going nowhere.  They will be improved but still around.

I also believe the Wii has chamged things for the better.  It forces through market needs to research and adapt.  Think of the changes as additions as opposed to replacements.  Most assuredly they will be.
"
On the point of complementary technology and the competition therein,  I agree completely.  There needs to be complimentary consoles in the marketplace.  It drives innovation.  Someone in the thread pointed at the driving force of XBOX Live and how greatly it has impacted this generation of gaming.  I wish that my PS3 had online gaming as well integrated as the XBOX.  Sony is getting there, for certain.  Another example of competition driving innovation is force feedback (which I personally don't care for) or bluetooth controllers, which were pretty much introduced simultaneously.  Now it is motion control.  What will be next?  

I want to believe Wii has changed things for the better.  I would like to say it was getting the Wii that finally got my sibs to come over to play videogames, but it was RockBand.  Which is a great example of the kind of thing that motion controls might do for gaming.  Multiplayer FPS could be very fun for families with good motion controls on a system that will keep each player's reticle within their 1/4 of the screen.    That being said, from a market perspective I still think Sony and MS see a less expensive product with built-in profit margins outselling them.  Sure, MS and Sony are both cleaning up in licensing, especially compared to Nintendo.  What each company must determine is at what point will they lose licenses because developers  no longer port/develop due to the technical specs lagging so far behind what the graphics engine requires.  Or the physics engine.  Or the AI.  Or all of the above.  I realize that many devs are console only, but when MS came to the field  they changed console gaming (I thought ) forever by pulling in respected PC developers that never worked on a console title before.  Aside from providing some actual competition for Sony, that  was and is the appeal of MS having a console.  I hope they are clever enough to understand that.  
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Seppli
@AgentJ said:
"
@Seppli said:
Seppli, i have a hard time believing what you are doing here. Nintendo has hands down won the console generation from a buisness perspective, which is the one that Old School has taken from the very begninning, and has made that point abundantly clear. His post only deals with the industry, not with the quality and number of games available. He is using hard numbers. You arent even arguing the same point. Whether or not the 360 is the better console for "gamers" isnt something Oldschool is arguing to any extent. 
"
The business point of view isn't the only point of view on the matter about who is winning or losing this generation. Let's modify OldSchools statement by the simple question: 'What did Nintendo win this generation'. Answer that question and then check, if anything Nintendo won, means something to you. If it doesn't, it might be, that 'Nintendo isn't the Winner of this Generation', because business facts matter little to your own personal little world. Every rabid PS3 Fanboy is living proof of that.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By oldschool

Having trouble with the quote Beetle?  Just do the quote and then click beneath it, so your reply is seperate.  Sorry if that seemed condescending.

Xbox Live did drive innovation - agreed.  That has a lasting impact as Sony fo;;owed and eventually so did Nintendo.  Clearly Nintendo would not have done it without the success it had.  I really was bored with the Xbox and found its library dreadfully dull to me, but you are right in how Xbox shaped this generation from the impact it had last generation.  We should be able to see all aspects of the industry impacting on the future, irrespective of who did it.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Al3xand3r
@Seppli said:
" The business point of view isn't the only point of view on the matter about who is winning or losing this generation. Let's modify OldSchools statement by the simple question: 'What did Nintendo win this generation'. Answer that question and then check, if anything Nintendo won, means something to you. If it doesn't, it might be, that 'Nintendo isn't the Winner of this Generation', because business facts matter little to your own personal little world. Every rabid PS3 Fanboy is living proof of that. "
Oldschool isn't being vague about what  he believes Nintendo have won. He's very specific about it. You're just coming here and saying "they didn't win my heart, thus they did not win" which is just pure trolling and has nothing to do with what oldschool is saying. He didn't say "they won Seppli's heart" and he didn't say "they won" without putting that in any context, which could possibly lead to confusion. He's being very specific about what he thinks it is they won. Do you want to discuss that? No? Write your blog and discuss what you want, instead of troll his own.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By AgentJ
@Seppli said:
"
@AgentJ said:
"
@Seppli said:
"
The business point of view isn't the only point of view on the matter about who is winning or losing this generation. Let's modify OldSchools statement by the simple question: 'What did Nintendo win this generation'. Answer that question and then check, if anything Nintendo won, means something to you. If it doesn't, it might be, that 'Nintendo isn't the Winner of this Generation', because business facts matter little to your own personal little world. Every rabid PS3 Fanboy is living proof of that. "
Lets make a chart here to make sense of what oldschool is saying.
Nintendo = financial winner this generation
financial winner this generation /= winner in "gamers" eyes, because that is a totally subjective idea
/= means that it isnt equal

Nintendo won in business in this generation. Oldschool is not trying to say "all gamers bow down to Nintendo". He is simply stating the facts, and i think it is sad that he can't do so without being ripped by people who think he is attacking their platform of choice. He isnt. 
So in other words, you are still missing the point. no one is saying that everyone should run out and buy wiis because Nintendo is doing well. All thats being said is that Nintendo, is in fact, doing well.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Diamond

You Nintendo fanboys better not turn this forum into NeoGAF where people care more about companies' profits than games...

There's absolutely no reason for a gamer to make this thread other than for trolling purposes.

People shouldn't have even replied to this crap.

Avatar image for shadowsaber_806
ShadowSaber_806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By ShadowSaber_806

I think the Wii has turned away alot of what was considered to be current gamers in order to attract those not familiar with video gaming, hence resulting in popularity with a lot of parents, kids, and the older folk. It really opened the gate for casual gaming to newcomers, but the flood of third party titles that eventually amounted to a huge pile of shitastic games just further turned off regular gamers while only inviting in more newcomer casual gamers.

With that said, I really see no problem with the Wii as far as the Nintendo company is concerned, because I see their investment in motion technology as opposed to what is considered next gen graphics to be a calculated risk that seems to have payed off in terms of profit. The games Nintendo is directly responsible for, such as mario galaxy and twilight princess, were really good in my opinion. But thats where the problem lies. With such a diverse and large group flocking towards the Wii, there are too many opinions to appease.

Thus third party titles are made, and even the most pointless and pathetic of those (GB's coverage of The Munchables, for example) manage to somehow sell. I honestly see no point to certain games, such as that cookbook title for the DS, when the internet is readily available not only with free online recipes, but some have tutorial videos to show everystep in preparing a meal so its virtually impossible to mess up. In my opinion, most third party titles (though I admit not all) are like the Wayan's Brothers'Movie Parodies. Sure, we laughed at the first couple, but now its just dragged out and sad. And its still shocking to see that the movies actually made money.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#141  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Call me crazy (hell, you can call me whatever you want), but I think all three consoles have knocked it out of the park this generation.  I genuinely enjoy and play all three consoles equally, and though I understand people will generally only purchase one or two of the consoles at most, you've gotta respect how each company has really brought their A-game this generation in terms of first-party titles and innovations.  I think once you get beyond the sales numbers, there are plenty of reasons to enjoy each console.  In my case, I'm really glad to see Nintendo rebound so strongly.  I enjoy the hell out of the console and look forward to doing so for years to come.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Al3xand3r
@Diamond said:
" You Nintendo fanboys better not turn this forum into NeoGAF where people care more about companies' profits than games...There's absolutely no reason for a gamer to make this thread other than for trolling purposes.People shouldn't have even replied to this crap. "
It's his blog, he can do what he wants. It's relevant, thus he put it in the general forum. You're just one of the many trolls replying in this blog post, seemingly without reading it, or being able to understand plain English. Do you not care about this side of the industry? Then don't look at blog posts and threads about it. It's simple enough. Instead, you take it as some sort of attack to your manly consoles and interests and have a need to insult the writer, merely for stating facts and some analysis based on common sense. How fucking pathetic are you?
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By AgentJ
@Diamond said:
" You Nintendo fanboys better not turn this forum into NeoGAF where people care more about companies' profits than games...There's absolutely no reason for a gamer to make this thread other than for trolling purposes.People shouldn't have even replied to this crap. "
Diamond, no one is saying that we should like Nintendo because they are doing well. Oldschool just made a post about the fact that they are doing well. The responses have just been ridiculous. This isn't some sort of fanboy rant about how everyone should own a wii, but people have replied to it as if it is.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By AgentJ
@ShadowSaber_806 said:
"

I think the Wii has turned away alot of what was considered to be current gamers in order to attract those not familiar with video gaming, hence resulting in popularity with a lot of parents, kids, and the older folk. It really opened the gate for casual gaming to newcomers, but the flood of third party titles that eventually amounted to a huge pile of shitastic games just further turned off regular gamers while only inviting in more newcomer casual gamers.

With that said, I really see no problem with the Wii as far as the Nintendo company is concerned, because I see their investment in motion technology as opposed to what is considered next gen graphics to be a calculated risk that seems to have payed off in terms of profit. The games Nintendo is directly responsible for, such as mario galaxy and twilight princess, were really good in my opinion. But thats where the problem lies. With such a diverse and large group flocking towards the Wii, there are too many opinions to appease.

Thus third party titles are made, and even the most pointless and pathetic of those (GB's coverage of The Munchables, for example) manage to somehow sell. I honestly see no point to certain games, such as that cookbook title for the DS, when the internet is readily available not only with free online recipes, but some have tutorial videos to show everystep in preparing a meal so its virtually impossible to mess up. In my opinion, most third party titles (though I admit not all) are like the Wayan's Brothers'Movie Parodies. Sure, we laughed at the first couple, but now its just dragged out and sad. And its still shocking to see that the movies actually made money.

"
Hey, dont be knocking Personal Trainer: Cooking. I HAD TO TEST THAT SHIT!
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Diamond
@Al3xand3r said:
"
@Diamond said:
It's his blog, he can do what he wants. It's relevant, thus he put it in the general forum. And actually it's your fanboy kind, and not Nintendo's that keeps bringing up sales, citing the lower sales of "core" games on the Wii as some kind of valid reason against it. But anyway, that's off topic, and you're one of the many trolls replying in this blog post, seemingly without reading it, or being able to understand plain English. "
Al3xand3r, you're becoming the worst troll on this entire forum.  Your constant shitty Nintendo threads, you basically account for 75% of all Wii forum posts.  Calling other people trolls just for disagreeing with you.  Worst thing is, you're subversive enough to get away with it.  Shitting up every thread you can.
IllogicalBeetle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By IllogicalBeetle

I wish the guys coming here that are in disagreement with Nintendo could come here and not bash the OP.  Face it fellas, they have won in the numbers game.  So, why can't we talk about the implications of this win?  They could be huge for gamers.  What if suddenly, because of Nintendo's sales MS stops one of their devs on a present project and tells them to start on a game that only improves your personal balance and posture.  Call it MiS FIT.  Get it?

Seriously though, when the PS outsold Nintendo so vastly it forever changed gaming as there has not been a home console that was cartridge-based since.  Granted, that was a matter of time.  To me though, that is the kind of thing we could be talking about.  I don't think the Wii will change anything that drastically....  but, what if it did?  What if 3 years from now you could not play a game that didn't have some kind of motion control?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By AgentJ
@Diamond said:
"
@Al3xand3r said:
"
@Diamond said:
It's his blog, he can do what he wants. It's relevant, thus he put it in the general forum. And actually it's your fanboy kind, and not Nintendo's that keeps bringing up sales, citing the lower sales of "core" games on the Wii as some kind of valid reason against it. But anyway, that's off topic, and you're one of the many trolls replying in this blog post, seemingly without reading it, or being able to understand plain English. "
Al3xand3r, you're becoming the worst troll on this entire forum.  Your constant shitty Nintendo threads, you basically account for 75% of all Wii forum posts.  Calling other people trolls just for disagreeing with you.  Worst thing is, you're subversive enough to get away with it.  Shitting up every thread you can. "
While Alexander is often very inflamatory (he calls people trolls way too often) he is far from the worst around, and many of his OPs are based in fact. Besides, you arent exactly proving him wrong when you attack him personally rather than repling to his or oldschools posts
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Al3xand3r

Excuse me, it's disagreement you expressed here? You just trolled him like there's no tommorow. And when did I call you a troll for disagreeing with my threads? What's there to disagree with anyway? I mainly post trailers, maybe articles and quotes from them, how's that shitty then? You can't disagree with a trailer, and you clearly don't care about what I think of any games, nor did I ever tell you that you should lke what I do. As for your accusations, please direct them to yourself. They're spot on. Hell, you just trolled and derailed this very thread. Congratulations.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By TheGreatGuero

As a Wii owner since launch, I've been known to bash it pretty heavily over the last year or so. I'm still a fan of the concept and supportive of them making such a bold step with the Wii, however I've just always felt like they didn't execute it that well. Motion controls with the Wii simply haven't worked out nearly as well as we had all hoped, and I don't think they really offer much immersion nor enhance the experience. If anything, I've found that they make games much more cumbersome and frequently cause them to be incredibly frustrating.

Despite all that, Natal really blew me away. Let me make it clear, though. I know that without the Wii, we wouldn't have Natal right now. Maybe sometime in the future it would have happened, but it undeniably was majorly influenced by the direction of the Wii. For that, Nintendo deserves some respect. Nintendo has successfully paved the way with most of our modern gameplay innovations. Still, even with that said, I think Natal builds on the Wii's foundation tremendously. Making the technology "invisible"? Brilliant. I was completely puzzled by how it was all even possible when it was first revealed, but then it started to become more clear. I agree with your point that, yeah, I don't want to play something like a  first-person-game with Natal and I don't really think it'd work at all. Your aim would have to be determined by what? How you're pointing your fingers? Think about how completely inaccurate that would be. It wouldn't work at all. Instead, they'll have to focus on making different types of games for Natal. The cool thing about it is that the 360 console is not built around Natal, so it may just be able to have the best of both worlds.

Avatar image for shadowsaber_806
ShadowSaber_806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By ShadowSaber_806
@AgentJ said:
"
@ShadowSaber_806 said:
"

"
Hey, dont be knocking Personal Trainer: Cooking. I HAD TO TEST THAT SHIT!
"

Lol sorry, but that was the first thing that came to mind. Alright then, a better example: My brother's girlfriend is a health nut, so she bought a Wii fit. Which is fine. She then proceeded to bnuy an aditional 4 or 5 fitness games, which I have seen and do not really alter too drastically from one another. Stupid on her part? Maybe, but the fact that these third party developers capitlize on a single idea is just ridiculus, and it makes the Wii or even look like it has a poor library, when in reality both have outstanding titles.