Official JRPG Thread of Awesomeness! (Chat, Impressions, Hype)

• 182 results
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

well that intro is hand drawn.

Naruto does cell shading very well (im assuming ultimate ninja storm?).  My only problem with it is that I doubt ill like the game.  Not into those.

But good cell shading either way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8olUcvnr0k

Its not fully cell shaded but really cool looking

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By Gunraidan
SmugDarkLoser said:
"

Naruto does cell shading very well (im assuming ultimate ninja storm?).  My only problem with it is that I doubt ill like the game.  Not into those.

"
Well truth be told I didn't watch the video since for some reason my bro's PC doesn't support GT format. But I have seen plenty of videos of the game. And yeah Naruto PS3 LOOKS good but I doubt that it will play that way.
Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Demyx
Gunraidan said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"

"
Well truth be told I didn't watch the video since for some reason my bro's PC doesn't support GT format. But I have seen plenty of videos of the game. And yeah Naruto PS3 LOOKS good but I doubt that it will play that way."
played a demo, it was pretty fun. It was just a fight between Kakashi and Naruto. I think I might rent this game at the least.
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Gunraidan

^^^^I rarely rent games. Usually just buy and rarely at times demo.

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Gunraidan

^^^Throne of Darkness? Never heard of it. Is it like Diablo but with a Japanese setting?

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Gunraidan

^^^^Looks interesting. How is Anachronox anyway?

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Ravey said:
"Gunraidan said:
"^^^^Looks interesting. How is Anachronox anyway?"
I'm liking the game so far, i've played it before but never quite got around to playing it all the way through. It starts off slow but it picks up after a short while and it's much better once you start exploring other worlds. It's designed like a Final Fantasy game with a lot of flash, at least for a Quake 2 engine game and the controls are adjusted to fit the PC which is nice for a change... The characters are really likeable and I thought the whole human/robot buddy relationship was a lot like Beneath a Steel Sky which was an amazing adventure game. Lots of humour, but I think i'm only about half-way through it though.

Check out the intro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=034a_ss13uM"
final fantasy with a lot of flash?  dont you mean without.

final fantasy has shitloads of "flash" in it
yorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#62  Edited By yorro

Yay for Versus 13
EndlessMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By EndlessMike

That's weird. I was just about to start a "all jrpgs are the same thread".

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Axersia
Gunraidan said:
"^^^^Looks interesting. How is Anachronox anyway?"
Personally, I loved it. But it's not something I would recommend to just any JRPG fan.

There's one particular quest pretty early on that stuck with me and I always tell people about when I try to get them interested in the game. You have to get this information from a retarded kid, but of course, he will only give it to you for something in return. So he asks for a crusty sweaty bloodied sock from an amputee's leg that's been on there for years. You get it, bring it to him, and he EATS it.

If that sounds like awesome to you, go and play this game. Since that's the type of humor you'll run into.

It's kinda on the short side, though, and ends with a cliffhanger. They cut content to get it out sooner, and were originally going to complete the story in the sequel, but it was never made (and now the company is defunct).
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Gunraidan

^^^So the game wasn't really complete? Kind of sad. I've played Deus Ex and I enjoyed it very much.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
yorro said:
"

Yay for Versus 13"

more yay for Final Fantasy 13

just curious, but what is V strike and  firaga mean?
Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Axersia
SmugDarkLoser said:
just curious, but what is V strike and  firaga mean?"
If you don't know what Firaga means, what the heck are you even doing in this topic? I would've expected more from someone who makes like 5 Final Fantasy related threads a day. -_-"
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Axersia said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
just curious, but what is V strike and  firaga mean?"
If you don't know what Firaga means, what the heck are you even doing in this topic? I would've expected more from someone who makes like 5 Final Fantasy related threads a day. -_-""

no, i know what it means,, but i really meant what is v strike and why is their no selection for firaga on the left? Why is fire not next to it?
use to the old attack, magic, summon setup  i guess
Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Axersia

I think you select attacks from the left menu and they get added to the right slots.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Axersia said:
"I think you select attacks from the left menu and they get added to the right slots."

so do you do them all together or is it a queue?

ff13's battle system looks very unique, it looks turn based, yet I don't recall playing a jrpg with stuff like that.  Guess it's the next step for ATB.  Hope they do it right
Any articles on it?
Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#71  Edited By Disgaeamad
Axersia said:
"I think you select attacks from the left menu and they get added to the right slots."
Well, that's how it looks so far, although I do wonder if there's another meaning behind queuing them up, such as chaining them together for a greater effect.
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Gunraidan

I agree with what those say in here. This looks like a VERY interesting take in ATB. I've been waiting for a game to change things up since Vagrant Story.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Endogene

wakka from FF10 no?

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Endogene
Axersia said:
"So I'm making this list of male JRPG characters with an exposed midriff; just for the heck of it.

Anyone know any others? (except for Kuja; villains are OK, but I don't want him on my list, because he's just too damn creepy)
"
wakka ff10
testament from the guilty gears games/series
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Gunraidan

^^^Guilty Gear is a fighting game series.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Axersia
Disgaeamad said:
"Well, that's how it looks so far, although I do wonder if there's another meaning behind queuing them up, such as chaining them together for a greater effect."
Apparently it's already been confirmed in some interview that you can chain together attacks for certain effects.

Gunraidan said:
"I agree with what those say in here. This looks like a VERY interesting take in ATB. I've been waiting for a game to change things up since Vagrant Story."
If you haven't played Valkyrie Profile 2 yet, I would recommend you check that out. It has one of the most advanced and unique battle systems I've seen. It's so advanced it even has advanced in its title (Advanced Tactical Combination Battle System).

Endogene said:
"wakka ff10
testament from the guilty gears games/series"
lol, someone revived my silly post. Yeah, I guess Wakka would count. He does sport the belly button. But I don't like him, so meh...

Just in case it wasn't clear yet, I'm not a big fan of FF. I'm only looking forward to Versus XIII because it's being developed by the KH team.
Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Disgaeamad
Axersia said:
"Disgaeamad said:
"Well, that's how it looks so far, although I do wonder if there's another meaning behind queuing them up, such as chaining them together for a greater effect."
Apparently it's already been confirmed in some interview that you can chain together attacks for certain effects.
Hmm, first I've heard of it, here's hoping that it's true, I'm all up for chaining a spell that can freeze enemies and then following it up with a regular attack. Insta-kill!

Axersia
said:
"Gunraidan said:
"I agree with what those say in here. This looks like a VERY interesting take in ATB. I've been waiting for a game to change things up since Vagrant Story."
If you haven't played Valkyrie Profile 2 yet, I would recommend you check that out. It has one of the most advanced and unique battle systems I've seen. It's so advanced it even has advanced in its title (Advanced Tactical Combination Battle System)."
Is it that much different from the original's? I really enjoyed that system, it worked really well if you knew which attacks flowed together with each other.
Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Axersia
Disgaeamad said:
"Is it that much different from the original's? I really enjoyed that system, it worked really well if you knew which attacks flowed together with each other."
Well, it's certainly different, but I can't say how different since all I know about VP1 is what I've seen on screenshots. At least VP2 has a fully 3D battle plane you can move around on, giving it somewhat of a Tactical RPG feel, except that it's actually fun (because unlike you Disgaeamad, I'm not mad for Disgaea :P). Actually, VP1 seems kinda boring to me since it only contains one of the mechanics that make up VP2's battle system.
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#79  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

It was kind of down-played, but dare I say it?  Microsofts...dominance over JRPGs right now seems to be a good reason to get a 360 if you plan on playing these games.  I ordered Lost Odyssey used a couple of weeks ago, but apparently I ended up with a noob who has somehow lost my copy in the mail.  Nobody has mentioned Lost Odyssey or the other JRPGs that have already been released for the 360 since last year.  Anyone playing those games?

Here's a list on the 360, correct me if I'm wrong:
1. Blue Dragon.
2. Lost Odyssey.
3. Operation Darkness.
4. Spectral Force 3.
5. Zoids Assault.
6. Tales of Vesperia.
7. Infinite Undiscovery.
8. Star Ocean 4.
9. FF XIII.

I guess that is all of them that has been mentioned so far.

PS: Please move the men's mid-riff discussion to its own thread. Thank you.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Axersia
Lind_L_Taylor said:
"Here's a list on the 360, correct me if I'm wrong:
1. Blue Dragon.
2. Lost Odyssey.
3. Operation Darkness.
4. Spectral Force 3.
5. Zoids Assault.
6. Tales of Vesperia.
7. Infinite Undiscovery.
8. Star Ocean 4.
9. FF XIII.

"
I know you forgot at least Enchanted Arms, Eternal Sonata, Cry On, and Culdcept Saga (kinda?).

Also, we weren't actually discussing men's midriffs. We were making a list of male JRPG characters that have an exposed midriff. It's totally related to this topic.
Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Disgaeamad
Axersia said:
"Disgaeamad said:
"Is it that much different from the original's? I really enjoyed that system, it worked really well if you knew which attacks flowed together with each other."
Well, it's certainly different, but I can't say how different since all I know about VP1 is what I've seen on screenshots. At least VP2 has a fully 3D battle plane you can move around on, giving it somewhat of a Tactical RPG feel, except that it's actually fun (because unlike you Disgaeamad, I'm not mad for Disgaea :P). Actually, VP1 seems kinda boring to me since it only contains one of the mechanics that make up VP2's battle system.
"
Sounds good, I really need to get around to playing it, I really enjoyed the first.

Now, let us duel, for you have mocked Tactical RPGs!
Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Axersia
Disgaeamad said:
"Sounds good, I really need to get around to playing it, I really enjoyed the first.

Now, let us duel, for you have mocked Tactical RPGs!"
Hehe, I really like the characters and setting of the Disgaea series, but I'm not too big on grindfest games.
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
Axersia said:
"Lind_L_Taylor said:
"Here's a list on the 360, correct me if I'm wrong:
1. Blue Dragon.
2. Lost Odyssey.
3. Operation Darkness.
4. Spectral Force 3.
5. Zoids Assault.
6. Tales of Vesperia.
7. Infinite Undiscovery.
8. Star Ocean 4.
9. FF XIII.

"
I know you forgot at least Enchanted Arms, Eternal Sonata, Cry On, and Culdcept Saga (kinda?).

Also, we weren't actually discussing men's midriffs. We were making a list of male JRPG characters that have an exposed midriff. It's totally related to this topic.
"
HAHA. I was testing you. =P  I own Culdcept Saga..it's pretty interesting for a board/trading-card game. Wtf is Cry On?

If we're going to talk about mid-riffs, then we should at least talk about female's bust sizes. I've noticed that they've increased quite dramatically over the years than how it used to be.  Someone should collect those on the thread. Jeff would like them.
Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Disgaeamad
Axersia said:
"Disgaeamad said:
"Sounds good, I really need to get around to playing it, I really enjoyed the first.

Now, let us duel, for you have mocked Tactical RPGs!"
Hehe, I really like the characters and setting of the Disgaea series, but I'm not too big on grindfest games."
That's the beauty of Disgaea, the main story doesn't need much grinding, just a good team and strategies. The only time you're forced to grind is when you want to complete the extra levels.

Lind_L_Taylor said:
"HAHA. I was testing you. =P  I own Culdcept Saga..it's pretty interesting for a board/trading-card game. Wtf is Cry On? "
Cry On's being developed by Mistwalker for the 360.
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Gunraidan
So what are your guys favorite JRPG's?

I have played a lot but only few have made me say (Man that game was badass): Odin Sphere (*sigh* why does this game get shit on so much?), The World Ends With You (came out of nowhere), Dragon Quest VIII (totally epic and totally under-appreciated in the West), and Persona 3 (very long but lovely).

Close Calls: Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne (Would've been my favorite of all-time if it wasn't for the constant repetitive dungeon formula, broken A.I., and overstaying length), Skies of Arcadia (RANDOM BATTLES TOO MANY TOO CLOSE IN BETWEEN), Chrono Trigger (Can't really put my finger on this one but I still haven't even gotten to the half way point yet).

Axersia
said:

Gunraidan said:
If you haven't played Valkyrie Profile 2 yet, I would recommend you check that out. It has one of the most advanced and unique battle systems I've seen. It's so advanced it even has advanced in its title (Advanced Tactical Combination Battle System).

"
Seems interesting. Do they use it to full effect? I remember Star Ocean III had a great battle system but it fell short in all of the game but a single boss battle due to boss design and difficulty. I always wanted to play the first one though. I guess I could try out 2 though.
Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Disgaeamad
Gunraidan said:
"So what are your guys favorite JRPG's?"
My all time favourite RPG has to be Final Fantasy IX. I loved everything about it, and I believe that it's severely underappreciated.

Gunraidan said:
"Seems interesting. Do they use it to full effect? I remember Star Ocean III had a great battle system but it fell short in all of the game but a single boss battle due to boss design and difficulty. I always wanted to play the first one though. I guess I could try out 2 though."
The battle in the system in the first one takes some getting used to, or at least, that's how it was in the original. Not sure how it'll work in the remake.
Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Axersia
Lind_L_Taylor said:
If we're going to talk about mid-riffs, then we should at least talk about female's bust sizes. I've noticed that they've increased quite dramatically over the years than how it used to be.  Someone should collect those on the thread. Jeff would like them.
"
Alright, let's collect some female JRPG characters with big boobs.

Tear Grants from Tales of the Abyss has such a big rack they even joke about it in the game and call them "melons." And she's only 16 too, so they might still be growing.

Gunraidan
said:
"So what are your guys favorite JRPG's?
Straight from my favorites list: Kingdom Hearts (my very first PS2 game from back in 2002), Kingdom Hearts II (preferably the Final Mix version, it has sooooo much more content, and the new boss battles are awesome), Rogue Galaxy, Tales of Symphonia, Valkyrie Profile 2, Radiata Stories (very lackluster battle system for a tri-Ace game, but great in many other aspects),  Xenosaga III, Dragon Quest VIII (this game is so frickin amazing!), Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (better than Persona 3 IMO), Golden Sun, Golden Sun 2, Breath of Fire II, aaand... well, I guess I should add Pokemon Silver too, considering it's the game I've played the most way back when I was still a Pokemon obsessed kid.

I wish I could add more Tales games other than just Symphonia, but there's always something wrong with them... The PS2 remake of Tales of Destiny has been great so far though, but I haven't beaten it yet.

Gunraidan
said:
"Seems interesting. Do they use it to full effect? I remember Star Ocean III had a great battle system but it fell short in all of the game but a single boss battle due to boss design and difficulty. I always wanted to play the first one though. I guess I could try out 2 though."
I think I know what you mean by SO3, and I can say that isn't the case in VP2. You can use the battle system to its fullest in every single battle in the game.

It's less actiony, though. On the battle plane, enemies will only move when you do, and the actual combat is timing based. It also makes every enemy somewhat of a puzzle, since you get more exp, items, and skillpoints if you destroy their armor first, but to do so you'll need to use certain attacks in a certain order.

It is a hard game, though. I've only played SO3 on Galaxy mode, which really wasn't that bad, but VP2 is harder than that right from the get go, and it only gets harder from there (because it doesn't have selectable difficulties). You really need to make sure your characters know the right skills. A good set of skills is way more important than a few levels.
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
Axersia said:
"Lind_L_Taylor said:
"

Tear Grants from Tales of the Abyss has such a big rack they even joke about it in the game and call them "melons." And she's only 16 too, so they might still be growing.

Sounds like a plan. I'll dig in when I get home. :) 
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Gunraidan
Axersia said:
"Lind_L_Taylor said:
"

Gunraidan
said:
"So what are your guys favorite JRPG's?
Straight from my favorites list: Kingdom Hearts (my very first PS2 game from back in 2002), Kingdom Hearts II (preferably the Final Mix version, it has sooooo much more content, and the new boss battles are awesome), Rogue Galaxy, Tales of Symphonia, Valkyrie Profile 2, Radiata Stories (very lackluster battle system for a tri-Ace game, but great in many other aspects),  Xenosaga III, Dragon Quest VIII (this game is so frickin amazing!), Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (better than Persona 3 IMO), Golden Sun, Golden Sun 2, Breath of Fire II, aaand... well, I guess I should add Pokemon Silver too, considering it's the game I've played the most way back when I was still a Pokemon obsessed kid.

I wish I could add more Tales games other than just Symphonia, but there's always something wrong with them... The PS2 remake of Tales of Destiny has been great so far though, but I haven't beaten it yet.

Gunraidan
said:
I think I know what you mean by SO3, and I can say that isn't the case in VP2. You can use the battle system to its fullest in every single battle in the game.

It's less actiony, though. On the battle plane, enemies will only move when you do, and the actual combat is timing based. It also makes every enemy somewhat of a puzzle, since you get more exp, items, and skillpoints if you destroy their armor first, but to do so you'll need to use certain attacks in a certain order.

It is a hard game, though. I've only played SO3 on Galaxy mode, which really wasn't that bad, but VP2 is harder than that right from the get go, and it only gets harder from there (because it doesn't have selectable difficulties). You really need to make sure your characters know the right skills. A good set of skills is way more important than a few levels.
"
In terms with Tera it seems that the fact that she didn't dress like a prostitute (like 99% of JRPG female characters) they had to compensate by given her huge boobs.

With your favorite JRPG's that's quite a list. I was curious about trying out Radiata Stories but have just been too pre-occupied with my game collection. I also agree with Dragon Quest VIII, never has the genre been so realized in the third dimension. Biggest step into 3D since Skies of Arcadia in my opinion. The Tales of Symphonia comment interests me the most though. I mean from those who have played the Tales games often say that is just really over-rated and only gets attention due to it being the best selling in the series and being praised by Nintendo fans, maybe they are just following what the "cool" crowd thinks.

Anyway thanks for the info on VP2. Also I am very glad that I started this thread as it is getting plenty of responses and possitive input.
Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Axersia
Gunraidan said:
"In terms with Tera it seems that the fact that she didn't dress like a prostitute (like 99% of JRPG female characters) they had to compensate by given her huge boobs.

With your favorite JRPG's that's quite a list. I was curious about trying out Radiata Stories but have just been too pre-occupied with my game collection. I also agree with Dragon Quest VIII, never has the genre been so realized in the third dimension. Biggest step into 3D since Skies of Arcadia in my opinion. The Tales of Symphonia comment interests me the most though. I mean from those who have played the Tales games often say that is just really over-rated and only gets attention due to it being the best selling in the series and being praised by Nintendo fans, maybe they are just following what the "cool" crowd thinks.

Anyway thanks for the info on VP2. Also I am very glad that I started this thread as it is getting plenty of responses and possitive input."
Haha, yeah, that is quite a list. If I only had to pick 3 though, I would've gone with Kingdom Hearts II, Dragon Quest VIII, and Tales of Symphonia. But I really only think Dragon Quest VIII is perfect.

Tales of Symphonia probably just has a special place in my heart because it was the first game in the series I played (with the exception of Tales of Phantasia, but I only played that for a few hours at the time). It actually falls flat in the story and characters department in comparison to other games in the series IMO. Tales of the Abyss, for example, has a whole lot of problems related to the hardware that could've been fixed were it given more development time, but it beats ToS in all other aspects. Except maybe the battle system... But that's very personal, as I'm just not a big fan of the "Free Run" ability.

I've only played Skies of Arcadia Legends until it started taking me an hour to travel from one point to the next on the world map. And that includes escaping from every battle. The random encounter rate was insane. If you can tell me it gets any better, maybe I'll pick it up again.
Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Disgaeamad
Axersia said:
"I've only played Skies of Arcadia Legends until it started taking me an hour to travel from one point to the next on the world map. And that includes escaping from every battle. The random encounter rate was insane. If you can tell me it gets any better, maybe I'll pick it up again."
It's funny, I stopped playing the original for that exact reason. I'm surprised they didn't fix the encounter rate in the remake.
InuFaye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By InuFaye

I really want square to come out and post real gameplay of 13, and V13.  Its not going to look anywhere as nice as those bullshots.

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Gunraidan
Disgaeamad said:
"Axersia said:
"I've only played Skies of Arcadia Legends until it started taking me an hour to travel from one point to the next on the world map. And that includes escaping from every battle. The random encounter rate was insane. If you can tell me it gets any better, maybe I'll pick it up again."
It's funny, I stopped playing the original for that exact reason. I'm surprised they didn't fix the encounter rate in the remake."
Believe it or not the encounter rates were significantly lowered in the Gamecube version which means that the encounter rate was noticeably more frequent in the Dreamcast version. Though the game gets much better when you gain the ability to fly higher then the atmosphere thus ignoring encounters all together. Again the game was awesome but encounters just destoryed it. I've heard that there's an item you can buy that stops them but that is sorta irrelevant.
InuFaye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By InuFaye

I only played about an hour of Skies of Arcadia. Something did not appeal to me.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Forgot to put up some photos last night. Well, here is one from Manga that was interesting
from a comic I subscribed to, Cannon God Exaxxion:

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Gunraidan

^^^It's like it's trying to tell me something.

zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 166

#97  Edited By zh666
Gunraidan said:
"Axersia said:
"Black Sigil isn't a JRPG because it wasn't made in Japan.

Being developed in Japan has nothing to do with a game being a JRPG but more so its play style. I don't see people calling the Wizardry spin-off for the PS2 a JRPG because it was made by Atlus.

I wouldn't consider FF XI a WRPG, just as much as I wouldn't consider Jade Empire a JRPG.

Being developed in Japan has most do to with it.  Wizardry has a HUGE fan base in Japan, so it's not so odd to me that a Japanese developer attempted one.  You can't really nail down JRPG (or WRPG) with an absolute definition, it's just an off the cuff tag line to differ the two styles.  Most JRPGs play differently, Tales of Destiny, Zelda, Ogre Battle, Fire Emblem, Dragon Warrior are all different games, so with that fact, JRPG is NOT a genre and shouldn't be.

This whole JRPG vs WRPG thing didn't come until the mid to late 90s, I'd say when Final Fantasy 7 and Diablo got popular, but back then people just called them "Console RPGs" or "PC RPGs". 

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Gunraidan
zh666 said:
"Gunraidan said:
"Axersia said:
"Black Sigil isn't a JRPG because it wasn't made in Japan.

Being developed in Japan has nothing to do with a game being a JRPG but more so its play style. I don't see people calling the Wizardry spin-off for the PS2 a JRPG because it was made by Atlus.

I wouldn't consider FF XI a WRPG, just as much as I wouldn't consider Jade Empire a JRPG.

Being developed in Japan has most do to with it.  Wizardry has a HUGE fan base in Japan, so it's not so odd to me that a Japanese developer attempted one.  You can't really nail down JRPG (or WRPG) with an absolute definition, it's just an off the cuff tag line to differ the two styles.  Most JRPGs play differently, Tales of Destiny, Zelda, Ogre Battle, Fire Emblem, Dragon Warrior are all different games, so with that fact, JRPG is NOT a genre and shouldn't be.

This whole JRPG vs WRPG thing didn't come until the mid to late 90s, I'd say when Final Fantasy 7 and Diablo got popular, but back then people just called them "Console RPGs" or "PC RPGs". 

"

I agree that they shouldn't be catergorize as a genre the same way say Platforming or Fighting. Which is why I usually use the phrase JRPG Class instead of Genre (or try to anyway). I do think there could be some genres within it like Traditonal JRPG's, SJRPG's, Etc., but I do see what you mean by just giving the term JRPG for any Japanese type RPG is too broad. It's like how people try to catergorize games as "action games" or "side scrollers". (Zelda is in no way a RPG).
Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Gunraidan said:
"Disgaeamad said:
"Axersia said:
It's funny, I stopped playing the original for that exact reason. I'm surprised they didn't fix the encounter rate in the remake."
Believe it or not the encounter rates were significantly lowered in the Gamecube version which means that the encounter rate was noticeably more frequent in the Dreamcast version. Though the game gets much better when you gain the ability to fly higher then the atmosphere thus ignoring encounters all together. Again the game was awesome but encounters just destoryed it. I've heard that there's an item you can buy that stops them but that is sorta irrelevant."
I never thought that it had too many encounters the first couple times I played it. Then when I went back to it recently after Tales of Symphonia I was so irritated with the game it was so frustrating. But I find if you grind a bit, so when you do get into battles, you tear through enemies, it works out pretty well. I also do lots of , everyone defends, and then the next turn I Rain of Swords to kill everything.

Or, everyone except Aika focuses, and she Lamda bursts, next turn, finish with a Rain of Swords.

But yeah, I didn't think the encounter rate was too bad until recently.
zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 166

#100  Edited By zh666
Gunraidan said:
(Zelda is in no way a RPG)."
this shows your age.