Oh SNAP!!! 360 is now confirmed jrpg king.

• 69 results
Dr_Cash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Dr_Cash

Even though most already agree with this. And most know games like Lost Oddessy got underscored and are better then reviews say. And I think most will say the same for this 360 next great jrpg.

Star Ocean 4 Baby!!!. It is freaking AWSOME. Do not pay attention to most bised western game mag reviews that do not understand these game mostly.

I've already checked the game out this morning at my buddy house. And it is something special great visuals spectacular battle system great music the game ROCKS!!!

Here is a link to some early user reviews and thiis is clearly a must have jrpg for 360 and for those of us who know a good jrpg will be all over this like stank on shit or white on rice or bark on a tree. Or peanut butter on jelly whatever you want this is a GEM!!!

Dr_Cash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By atejas

Battle system looks good. But the story and characters.....hhnnnnnnnnnnghh.....
Also I totally see this thread going places with a title like that.

Dr_Cash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Dr_Cash
atejas said:
"Battle system looks good. But the story and characters.....hhnnnnnnnnnnghh.....
Also I totally see this thread going places with a title like that.
"

Well honestly a lot of people are saying they like the story and charictors. Like I said you can not judge these games on bised non jrpg fan reviewers here in the US. jrpg is an aquired taste and those who like will deffiantly think this game is up there with the best.
ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ImpendingFoil

I really didn't like Star Ocean 3 so I'm still a bit hesitant on this one.  I'll probably just end up picking up a used copy when I see one for like $20.

Dr_Cash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Dr_Cash

Man I played it a bit more the game is so freaking buatiful to play.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hexpane

Isn't the main character named Maverick?  Game looks nice, but 40 minute cutscenes???

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I wish Star Ocean would come to the PS3, I loved the 2nd one and would love to play the 4th, oh wellll.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Jayge_
Hexpane said:
"Isn't the main character named Maverick?  Game looks nice, but 40 minute cutscenes???
No Caption Provided

"
Actually, it's Edge. Edge Maverick.
shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By shadows_kill

named 2 jrpgs : star ocean and lost oddessy and its king? alright then. did you know this gen prolly isnt 1/4 done yet? yeah and final fantasy versus 13, X edge, and white knight chronicles (even tho FFv13 isnt coming this year...)could come and be better than both of those games and that more jrpgs are yet to be announced.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jayge_
shadows_kill said:
"named 2 jrpgs : star ocean and lost oddessy and its king? alright then. did you know this gen prolly isnt 1/4 done yet? yeah and final fantasy versus 13, X edge, and white knight chronicles (even tho FFv13 isnt coming this year...)could come and be better than both of those games and that more jrpgs are yet to be announced.
"
The generation is half over, if not a little more than half over. Think of it as about 2/3 over. Maybe 4/7 over. That said... Star Ocean, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Last Remnant, Enchanted Arms, Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, and so on do kinda make it the general jRPG home console this generation.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#12  Edited By AgentJ

I really disagree. the DS is by far the best place for JRPGS right now. I mean just look at the stuff coming up soon. Suikoden, Shining force, phantasy star, avalon code, sands of destruction, fire emblem and more. it already has disgaea, twewy, pokemon, chrono trigger, dragon quest, final fantasy, and a lot more. So, xbox, king? not so much.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jayge_
AgentJ said:
"I really disagree. the DS is by far the best place for JRPGS right now. I mean just look at the stuff coming up soon. Suikoden, Shining force, phantasy star, avalon code, sands of destruction, fire emblem and more. it already has disgaea, twewy, pokemon, chrono trigger, dragon quest, final fantasy, and a lot more. So, xbox, king? not so much."
Phantasy Star isn't a jRPG, and unfortunately, Suikoden is a shadow of its former self :-(

Regardless, I believe he's speaking about consoles, not handhelds.
shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By shadows_kill
Jayge said:
"shadows_kill said:
"named 2 jrpgs : star ocean and lost oddessy and its king? alright then. did you know this gen prolly isnt 1/4 done yet? yeah and final fantasy versus 13, X edge, and white knight chronicles (even tho FFv13 isnt coming this year...)could come and be better than both of those games and that more jrpgs are yet to be announced.
"
The generation is half over, if not a little more than half over. Think of it as about 2/3 over. Maybe 4/7 over. That said... Star Ocean, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Last Remnant, Enchanted Arms, Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, and so on do kinda make it the general jRPG home console this generation.
"
underlined are on ps3 also and as said above FFv13, wkc, x edge (and i forgot disgaea 3 and folklore) are only on ps3 and i would take them over star ocean, lo, blue dragon, tales, and IU any day. and so you think new systems in 2011 area? i would go for 2012 earliest right now....
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Karmum

I'm giving it a rent and GameFly will get it to me by Thursday, I'd say. Don't link to user reviews, by the way.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
AgentJ said:
"I really disagree. the DS is by far the best place for JRPGS right now. I mean just look at the stuff coming up soon. Suikoden, Shining force, phantasy star, avalon code, sands of destruction, fire emblem and more. it already has disgaea, twewy, pokemon, chrono trigger, dragon quest, final fantasy, and a lot more. So, xbox, king? not so much."

DS rpgs are completely different.  You can't say to a shooter fan to go play Killzone Liberation when in reality they want Killzone 2.  Same goes for the JRPG genre.  They're just not the same.
The 360 has tons of great rpgs for rpg fans.   For the general audience?  A pleasing amount, but for those who are into the genre, you'll find quite a few especially on the jrpg front.  And it also has a decent (although not huge) amount of WRPGs.

Lost Odyssey, Tales, Star Ocean, Eternal Sonata, Last Remnant, Infinite Undiscovery, and Blue Dragon---> All games that jrpg fans will enjoy very much.  Infinite, Last Remnant, and Eternal Sonata are more so than solid AA ones where as Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Tales, and Star Ocean really excell.  Of course, Final Fantasy will join be great when that comes.

The only thing that concerns me is the future-->  where are the jrpgs on either console? 
There's really only FF13 and Versus.  Oh well, I'm sure Square and Mistwalker are soon to announce some more projects.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jayge_
shadows_kill said:
"Jayge said:
"shadows_kill said:
"
"
underlined are on ps3 also and as said above FFv13, wkc, x edge (and i forgot disgaea 3 and folklore) are only on ps3 and i would take them over star ocean, lo, blue dragon, tales, and IU any day. and so you think new systems in 2011 area? i would go for 2012 earliest right now....
"
2012 would be 7 years. It's the 4th year of the generation. Which would be past the half-way mark. That said, you seem to indicate that you believe in a 12-year generation, which is ridiculous. Either way, you're talking about unreleased games that you can't possibly have even played, and bringing heavy personal bias into a debate that can easily be settled on the side you're not on with mathematics.
fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fr0br0

You better take... oh wait, I just remembered a crap load of JRPGs are very similar to each other and have a hard time revolutionizing the genre and I can't think of any JRPG this generation that has done just that. So ya, 360 wins :)

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hexpane
Jayge said:
"Hexpane said:
"Isn't the main character named Maverick?  Game looks nice, but 40 minute cutscenes???

"
Actually, it's Edge. Edge Maverick.
"
I had forgotten the "edge" part... hilarious!   Sounds like a next gen disposable razor
shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By shadows_kill
Jayge said:
"shadows_kill said:
"Jayge said:
"shadows_kill said:
"
"
"
2012 would be 7 years. It's the 4th year of the generation. Which would be past the half-way mark. That said, you seem to indicate that you believe in a 12-year generation, which is ridiculous. Either way, you're talking about unreleased games that you can't possibly have even played, and bringing heavy personal bias into a debate that can easily be settled on the side you're not on with mathematics.
"
still there is PLENTY of time in this gen and its definatly not time to say ______ is king and so you believe its time to say 360 is king? and yes why not talk about furture games? seems with this so far 360 used its ammo and isnt reloading while ps3 is holding back and firing later.
shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By shadows_kill
Fr0Br0 said:
"You better take... oh wait, I just remembered a crap load of JRPGs are very similar to each other and have a hard time revolutionizing the genre and I can't think of any JRPG this generation that has done just that. So ya, 360 wins :)
"
wkc looks like it can with online co-op missions which could end up changing jrpgs alot.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jayge_
shadows_kill said:
"still there is PLENTY of time in this gen and its definatly not time to say ______ is king and so you believe its time to say 360 is king? and yes why not talk about furture games? seems with this so far 360 used its ammo and isnt reloading while ps3 is holding back and firing later.
"
That's ridiculous. The OP is talking about the present. Yes, there are a few years left in the generation, but at the moment, the 360 is the de facto jRPG console. I know your name is blue, but please at least try to be a little bit rational. That last sentence was almost too much.
zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By zitosilva
Jayge said:
"shadows_kill said:
"
"
I don't think I agree at how far we are in this generation lifespan, but this really shows how weak it has been for jrpgs. At least outside of Japan that is, I have no idea of games that never left to the west.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
shadows_kill said:
"Jayge said: still there is PLENTY of time in this gen and its definatly not time to say ______ is king and so you believe its time to say 360 is king? and yes why not talk about furture games? seems with this so far 360 used its ammo and isnt reloading while ps3 is holding back and firing later.
"
That's probably the worst arguement you could use for the ps3 if you've realized the past.

If you've noticed recent trends, the ps3 puts it feathers up, the 360 sharpens its beak.
What does the Ps3 have coming up exactly? White Knight and Versus 13 (which is most probably going to go multiplatform).  By contrast, while the 360 has NOTHING else annouced that we can see, one would have to assume that Mistwalker has been doing something all this time and really, if you've noticed every single Square game comes to the 360, Tri-Ace, and from the looks of it Namco prefers the 360 as well.

All I can tell you for a fact is this (and all that is truly fact)---> The 360 has been getting a steady supply of JRPGs ever since Eternal Sonata came out.  I've yet to play a JRPG on my Ps3. 
At least it got 2 pretty good SRPGs, they're sort of like a jrpg, in a way.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jayge_

White Knight Chronicles hasn't been confirmed for international release.

zitosilva said:

"I don't think I agree at how far we are in this generation lifespan, but this really shows how weak it has been for jrpgs. At least outside of Japan that is, I have no idea of games that never left to the west."
The generation will end in 2012, maximum. That's nearly a given. The Xbox 360 can't hope to maintain competitiveness for that long, let alone longer. The PS3 might hold out (stupidly), but thinking that the generation will be longer than 7 years is ludicrous.
shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By shadows_kill

so
disgaea 3, folklore, and valkyria chronicles (is this a jrpg? not sure >_>) vs. star ocean, tales, blue dragon, and lost odessey (IU got pretty bad reviews so idc if you want to add it)

3 vs 4

just comes down which you prefer really...

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jayge_
shadows_kill said:
"so
disgaea 3, folklore, and valkyria chronicles (is this a jrpg? not sure >_>) vs. star ocean, tales, blue dragon, and lost odessey (IU got pretty bad reviews so idc if you want to add it)

3 vs 4

"
Disgaea 3 is an sRPG (or tRPG, depending on how you look at it). So is Valkyria Chronicles. Folklore is apparently considered an Action RPG.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
shadows_kill said:
"so

3 vs 4

"
You didn't name a single jrpg on the ps3 side and there's absolutely no reason not to name Infinite.  It's definately appealing to jrpg fans. 

And overall, you'd really saying as if 4 of my favorite jrpgs (granted, I have tons of favorites) and two rather good ones (last remnant and infinite) are basically all whatever type games.  Folklore's an action game by the way, I don't understand how you even mixed that up (srpgs are fine to confuse, but a straight up action game? >.>)
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Karmum
Jayge said:
"shadows_kill said:
"so

3 vs 4

"
Disgaea 3 is an sRPG (or tRPG, depending on how you look at it). So is Valkyria Chronicles. Folklore is apparently considered an Action RPG.
"
Showing how weak this little JRPGs in this generation, imo. Then again, both VC and Disgaea 3 are pretty good games.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AgentJ
Jayge said:
"AgentJ said:
Phantasy Star isn't a jRPG, and unfortunately, Suikoden is a shadow of its former self :-(

Regardless, I believe he's speaking about consoles, not handhelds"
Well you can't have seen much footage of the new Suikoden for the DS then. It's looking like a return to the first 3.  And say for a second he is talking about consoles. The PS3 would still be "king", especially if you count all the JRPGs that haven't been released in the United States. Besides, most of the JRPGS mentioned earlier were rated poorly by the media or not worth mentioning in the first place. Last Remnant? Enchanted Arms? Infinite Undiscovery? None of them lived up to their hype. And Eternal Sonata was just poor. The 360 is certainly king of a number of other genres, such as action, shooting, and american rpgs, but you can't just say it's the king, especially since there are apparantly a ton of stipulations on that title, like not being comparable to portable rpgs, and not including japanese made srpgs, and not taking into account the actual quality of the finished product.
shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By shadows_kill
Jayge said:
"White Knight Chronicles hasn't been confirmed for international release.

"
o really?!
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jayge_
shadows_kill said:
"Jayge said:
"White Knight Chronicles hasn't been confirmed for international release.

"
o really?!
"
Ah. Interesting.
shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By shadows_kill
Jayge said:
"shadows_kill said:
"so

3 vs 4

"
"
so to end wanna call this: as of RIGHT NOW xbox has better jrpgs but ps3 has better s/tRPGS and maybe action RPGS?
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jayge_
AgentJ said:
"Well you can't have seen much footage of the new Suikoden for the DS then. It's looking like a return to the first 3.  And say for a second he is talking about consoles. The PS3 would still be "king", especially if you count all the JRPGs that haven't been released in the United States. Besides, most of the JRPGS mentioned earlier were rated poorly by the media or not worth mentioning in the first place. Last Remnant? Enchanted Arms? Infinite Undiscovery? None of them lived up to their hype. And Eternal Sonata was just poor. 
"
I've seen the footage and read all about it. It's ditched multiple mechanics that made Suikoden games... Suikoden games. It might be a good game, but it'll fail as a banner-bearer for the series. Most of the jRPGs on the PS3 are either multi-platform or they'll never see an international release, so they don't count. That argument still fails. Neither system has had super-critical-successes in that genre.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jayge_
shadows_kill said:
"so to end wanna call this: as of RIGHT NOW xbox has better jrpgs but ps3 has better s/tRPGS and maybe action RPGS?
"
The PS3 has better sRPGs, I wouldn't say aRPGs because that's an entirely different beast. And you could be entirely right- White Knight Chronicles and Versus 13 could wipe the floor with current 360 titles. I'm just being realistic about the present.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AgentJ
Karmum said:
"Jayge said:
"shadows_kill said:
"so

3 vs 4

"
"
Showing how weak this little JRPGs in this generation, imo. Then again, both VC and Disgaea 3 are pretty good games.
"
I agree, its certainly not like last generation where the PS2 was pushing JRPGS out of its pores. Now that i think of it, the PS2 is STILL the console king for JRPGS. I mean really, this console is still coming out with hit after hit in that category. Its sad that all of the current gen consoles cant even compete with the PS2 for JRPGs. JRPG KING? PS2, still.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Karmum
shadows_kill said:
"Jayge said:
"shadows_kill said:
"so

3 vs 4

"
"
so to end wanna call this: as of RIGHT NOW xbox has better jrpgs but ps3 has better s/tRPGS and maybe action RPGS?
"
How many Action RPGs does PS3 have again? I mean, at the top of my head I can name Mass Effect 1 (and then 2), and Fable II for the Xbox 360. Those two games are pretty good.
shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By shadows_kill
Jayge said:
"shadows_kill said:
"so to end wanna call this: as of RIGHT NOW xbox has better jrpgs but ps3 has better s/tRPGS and maybe action RPGS?
"
The PS3 has better sRPGs, I wouldn't say aRPGs because that's an entirely different beast. And you could be entirely right- White Knight Chronicles and Versus 13 could wipe the floor with current 360 titles. I'm just being realistic about the present.
"
what does srpg and trpg stand for then? southern rpgs and tactical rpgs?
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
shadows_kill said:
"Jayge said:
"shadows_kill said:
"so

3 vs 4

"
"
"
Yes, the prior.
The Ps3 does have better srpgs.  I really don't think there has been a major srpg released on the 360 though.

Granted, there are a good amount:

But none look that good.   I'll eventually get Spectral Force and do a review for you guys (since apparently no one has reviewed it) but for example, Operation Darkness is complete crap.  Can't comment on the others, but they don't look good....at all. Most are japan only
All are small scale games though.

---> As for action rpgs, it really boils down to

vs,

Infinite is more of an action rpg where as folklore is an action game with rpg inflences.  The first is much, much better.  It's actually fun to play and you don't have to play each level twice (not that it has levels though)
zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By zitosilva
Jayge said:
zitosilva said:
"I don't think I agree at how far we are in this generation lifespan, but this really shows how weak it has been for jrpgs. At least outside of Japan that is, I have no idea of games that never left to the west."
The generation will end in 2012, maximum. That's nearly a given. The Xbox 360 can't hope to maintain competitiveness for that long, let alone longer. The PS3 might hold out (stupidly), but thinking that the generation will be longer than 7 years is ludicrous.
"
Isn't this changing though? I mean, even disconsidering the economic crysis, which could delay the next gen for a year or two, everything is moving a little to faster than consumer are able to keep up to. Look at the ps2, the damn thing refuses to die. It's 2009 it'll still have good releases this year. Evidently, the number is not nearly as great as the current gen, but it's still holding on.

Jayge said:
"shadows_kill said:
"so

3 vs 4

"
"
Also, Folklore is really bad...

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jayge_
shadows_kill said:
"Jayge said:
"shadows_kill said:
"
"
"
Strategy/Tactical RPGs. Disgaea, FFTactics, Fire Emblem, etc. fall into that genre.
zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By zitosilva
shadows_kill said:
"Jayge said:
"shadows_kill said:
"
"
"
I think the S stands for "strategy".
shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By shadows_kill
SmugDarkLoser said:
"shadows_kill said:
"Jayge said:
"shadows_kill said:
"so

3 vs 4

"
"
"
Yes, the prior.
The Ps3 does have better srpgs.  I really don't think there has been a major srpg released on the 360 though.

Granted, there are a good amount:
[pics]

But none look that good.   I'll eventually get Spectral Force and do a review for you guys (since apparently no one has reviewed it) but for example, Operation Darkness is complete crap.  Can't comment on the others, but they don't look good....at all. Most are japan only"
wow i have never heard/seen any of those xD

Karmum said:
"shadows_kill said:
"
"
How many Action RPGs does PS3 have again? I mean, at the top of my head I can name Mass Effect 1 (and then 2), and Fable II for the Xbox 360. Those two games are pretty good.
"

as of now folklore is a action jrpg and thats it i think and i always thought mass effect more of a tps but ill give it to you xD
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Karmum

What about Fable II? Definitely an Action one, in my opinion.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Here's a typical jrpg vs. a typical srpg. 

JRPG-- towns, more story driven, world vs. combat is even split, typically much more flash and polish
SRPGs- combat makes up 95% of gametime, usually weaker stories (still decent), may lack other structure besides fights.

JRPGs-- Final Fantasy, Dragonquest, Persona, etc.
SRPGs- Disagea, Valkyria Chronicles, bunch of low budget games (it's the truth), etc.

They're really so different.  Just as different as WRPGs and JRPGs really.  Granted, SRPGs are mostly made in Japan and therefore will have that spikey haired japanese look, but besides that, it's not much alike.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By shadows_kill
Karmum said:
"What about Fable II? Definitely an Action one, in my opinion.
"
never really got to play it but the first one seemed cool. so i guess its good? :P
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jayge_
Karmum said:
"
Fable is an aRPG, Too Human, Kingdom Under Fire, Phantasy Star Universe (single-player), and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance are all aRPGs too.
zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By zitosilva
Karmum said:
"
But it's a western RPG.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Oh, and for the record--- action rpgs are jrpgs.
obviously I mean japanese ones in this thread (fable, mass effect, etc. are all western-- completely different genre really)

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Karmum
zitosilva said:
"Karmum said:
"
But it's a western RPG.
"
Oh, we are speaking Japanese Action RPGs, that makes sense. My bad, that makes discussion even more arguable.