On Anti-climaxes

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

Edited By Oni

Having just completed Bionic Commando and Fallout 3's The Pitt, I was left wanting by both.

First off, Bionic Commando doesn't end. The game ends, but the story certainly doesn't, and I don't mean that in a cliffhanger sort of way, it just cuts off right in the middle, pretty much. The game introduces a mysterious character towards the end who vanishes and never shows up again, and makes a bizarre plot twist that is both crazy and kind of stupid, but then is never fully explained. And then, after an uncharacteristically God of War-like moment, it just ends. It left me sitting there, going "What the shit?"

I was pretty disappointed with Bionic Commando overal. It has the perfect mechanics for a game with a lot of exploration, but instead it's linear to a fault. Even veering

It is a pretty game, I'll give it that.
slightly off the path the developers intended you to go can and will often result in a swift death. The radiation excuse is incredibly lame, and often irradiated areas don't even have the telltale blue glow. It's bizarrely punishing, and frustrating that they chose to go that route. It feels dated, a feeling that's exacerbated by the frequent load times, making the game appear even more fragmented and linear. Not every game needs to be open-world, but a little bit of freedom to mess around with the swinging mechanics would've made it a lot more entertaining. On the plus side, when the game hits its stride it can be pretty fun to take guys down with your arm in various ways. It does give you a bit of freedom in that regard, at least. Also I really like the environment art. I'd give it a 3/5 if I could be arsed to write a review.

So I played The Pitt. I know, late to the party, etc. I started playing it proper today, and finished it in about two hours. That's pretty quick. Now I know I am usually faster at games than the average person, but it still seemed a little rapido. Also, one of the two paths you can take is much shorter than the other, as I found out when I reloaded my save to check out both options. In short, one option has a LOT more combat and is longer and more challenging, and the other is fairly easy and ends faster. It's bizarre, then, that the rewards for both paths are identical, contrary to most quests of Fallout 3. The moral choice is more interesting, because it's kind of a Witcher-like gray area - damned if you do, damned if you don't. But since I know the consequences of my decision affect nothing outside of the Pitt, I ended up going with the path that gave me more experience points, even though I preferred the other option. But morals in games are a topic for another day, and have already been discussed to death (and well!) by fellow, much-more-frequent-blogger Sweep.

Thanks for reading! I plan to start blogging a lot more, and I also still have Demon's Souls on the mind, which you people need to know about... comment below :)
Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Oni

Having just completed Bionic Commando and Fallout 3's The Pitt, I was left wanting by both.

First off, Bionic Commando doesn't end. The game ends, but the story certainly doesn't, and I don't mean that in a cliffhanger sort of way, it just cuts off right in the middle, pretty much. The game introduces a mysterious character towards the end who vanishes and never shows up again, and makes a bizarre plot twist that is both crazy and kind of stupid, but then is never fully explained. And then, after an uncharacteristically God of War-like moment, it just ends. It left me sitting there, going "What the shit?"

I was pretty disappointed with Bionic Commando overal. It has the perfect mechanics for a game with a lot of exploration, but instead it's linear to a fault. Even veering

slightly off the path the developers intended you to go can and will often result in a swift death. The radiation excuse is incredibly lame, and often irradiated areas don't even have the telltale blue glow. It's bizarrely punishing, and frustrating that they chose to go that route. It feels dated, a feeling that's exacerbated by the frequent load times, making the game appear even more fragmented and linear. Not every game needs to be open-world, but a little bit of freedom to mess around with the swinging mechanics would've made it a lot more entertaining. On the plus side, when the game hits its stride it can be pretty fun to take guys down with your arm in various ways. It does give you a bit of freedom in that regard, at least. Also I really like the environment art. I'd give it a 3/5 if I could be arsed to write a review.

So I played The Pitt. I know, late to the party, etc. I started playing it proper today, and finished it in about two hours. That's pretty quick. Now I know I am usually faster at games than the average person, but it still seemed a little rapido. Also, one of the two paths you can take is much shorter than the other, as I found out when I reloaded my save to check out both options. In short, one option has a LOT more combat and is longer and more challenging, and the other is fairly easy and ends faster. It's bizarre, then, that the rewards for both paths are identical, contrary to most quests of Fallout 3. The moral choice is more interesting, because it's kind of a Witcher-like gray area - damned if you do, damned if you don't. But since I know the consequences of my decision affect nothing outside of the Pitt, I ended up going with the path that gave me more experience points, even though I preferred the other option. But morals in games are a topic for another day, and have already been discussed to death (and well!) by fellow, much-more-frequent-blogger Sweep.

Thanks for reading! I plan to start blogging a lot more, and I also still have Demon's Souls on the mind, which you people need to know about... comment below :)
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Haha "Cliffhanger".

*ahem*

I was sold by the BC demo then convinced not to buy it by the internet. This blog pretty much seals the lack of deals.
I have not yet played Fallout 3. From my experience with Oblivion I can safely say it is not a game I would enjoy. I find those games eerily empty and devoid of any lasting character. It feels like playing World Of Warcraft on an empty server.