Pay a bit extra for 4k Video with HDR to download only?

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Unsure if this was ever brought up in a podcast or so, what I have learned, its pretty large files to move around, upload and the like.

This made me think that to make it "worth the time" (not being cheeky here.. you gotta get paid for the work). I wonder if like an extra $2 a month you get to download 4k files with hdr (or not i dunno the tech behind the frills stuff), streaming 4k from the site might be hard, but downloading the file might be more viable...

andrewf87462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm fortunate to have loads of storage and great Internet so would happily pay extra on my premium account if it gave me access to 4k higher quality files.

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andrewf87462: Im the opposite in storage and speeds, but I would definitely download 4k video, at least with a download I know I wont suffer the constant buffering I do with 4k (or even that youtube 1440p). Hell, I rarely watch videos directly from the site.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure they're thinking about bumping the production chain up to 4K. Seems inevitable at this point given that the new consoles will be doing it much more commonly. HDR is probably a bit more complicated, but I don't really know enough to have an opinion.

In any case, I wouldn't expect any changes until some time after the transition to Red Ventures is complete and they've got budgets and new production tech worked out.

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup: Just to be clear, im not saying that they should do it now or werent thinking about it.. I'm thinking of how it could be "worthwhile" (best word I can think of right now).

The transition and everything else needs to happen, this is just me throwing something up to see what comes of it..

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By OurSin_360

I remember when getting HD(720p) downloads was the reason to subscribe. I don't think video quality would cut it now a days, plus it's been hard for subscriptions right now as they are the first thing that get cut when money is tight.

And HDR would only be worth it for game videos themselves, I doubt HDR would add anything to the studio setting etc.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Since they'll be building a new studio etc when they can get back to the office, it might be a good opportunity to make some upgrades etc, but it's also probably not the easiest thing in the world to source the gear that can handle a signal chain like that without a problem somewhere. It doesn't feel like all that long ago since Vinny went through a pretty big ordeal to build a studio that could do 1080@60. Granted, I think the problem there was mostly about framerate, as 60fps is absolutely not necessary for most professional video production outside of sports broadcasting.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Setting up a studio to capture 4k/60 with HDR sounds like a nightmare of compatibility issues. It would be neat for sure, but the fragmentation of HDR makes it incredibly difficult.

Bleichman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Bleichman

As someone who has a 4K TV and 4K blu-ray player I think the difference between 1080p and 4k is barely noticeable. I would rather have the crew put their effort in doing something more fun and worthwhile than investing a lot in the tech and infrastructure needed for 4K videos.

theflinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I would gladly pay more for 4k HDR video from GB not just for the quality but to support the site. Vinny mentioned on a podcast that he secretly uploaded a 4k video once just to see if anyone noticed, so the capability is there. Any additional financial support to keep this great website going I would be happy to pay.