PS4 games appropriate for a 7 year old boy

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Hey gang,

I have a work colleague and friend who's looking for some ideas for her son to play on his PS4. He's liked the Lego games, and Star Wars Battlefront, but is understandly concerned about the amount of violent/age inappropriate games on there. She mentioned how she doesn't strictly adhere to age ratings, as some games seem needlessly rated in the UK at least, but doesn't wanna buy something like Red Dead 2 for example.

So I come to you, the brain trust. Off the top of my head, I was thinking stuff like Journey, The Last Guardian and some more chill games like that. Please bear in mind he's only 7 though, so don't throw stuff like Fez/ The Witness at him

yourbrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

What about a racing or driving game? They're not my thing personally, but I got Onrush when it was a PS+ game and my 4 year old niece loves it. She's in the "I hate losing" and "I quit as soon as I die" phase, but since you don't "win" a race in Onrush, and it always catches you up she thinks it's the best. And if the 7 year old is better tempered than my niece (lol) he might like normal racing games as well.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Tetris Effect won our GOTY last year and seems like it'd be pretty easy-going! Tetris is good.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Though I haven't played them yet, CTR Nitro Fueled and the Ratchet & Clank 1 remake seem pretty kid friendly. Also, in before the wrath of jaded adults, but Kingdom Hearts. No kid really needs a cork board and string in order to understand the basic sentiments behind Disney, friendship, and friendship with Disney characters.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mark Cerny's Knack Protocol 1 and 2.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Based on the complaints I heard from ppl, even adults didn’t seem to have the patience for The Last Guardian. I really like the game but I probably wouldn’t recommend it to a 7 year old.

How about that Spyro remaster-remake? It looked gorgeous and even as someone that never played the original, I want to play that at some point.

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Karmosin

Tearaway is a super-charming platformer that people from any age can appreciate.

Rayman Legend is from last gen, sure, but is also available on ps4 and it's alot of fun, has multiplayer if they wanna play together and is gorgeous to look at.

Someone mentioned Crash Team Racing, which I agree with, but Crash The N'sane trilogy and Spyro: the reignited trilogy is also worth looking into. :)

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Redhotchilimist

Those Crash and Spyro remakes, Transformers Devastation, Donut County, Rayman Legends, Strider, Sonic Mania, Shovel Knight and One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 are all good to great games that I think are fairly appropriate for his age. The old Ratchet games unfortunately aren't on PS4, but the old Jak games are, and Jak 1 should be both pretty cheap and pretty good as far as 3d platformers go.

Maybe throw some Brawlhalla, Dragonball FighterZ, Street Fighter 4 or 5 or Tekken 7 at him if he might like those kinda fighting games and especially if he has someone to play them with, just make sure he doesn't start bothering other kids outside of the games with his newfound fightin moves lol. Crash Team Racing also looks like a real good game to have for a kid as long as there's someone to play with. "Sibling games", you know. Overwatch or Fortnite are also completely fine shooters for a kid, though maybe keep an eye on the voice chat. Minecraft is on PS4 too.

Keep Phoenix Wright, Tales of Vesperia or Okami in mind if he starts liking to read, 'cause they might be a bit boring for a kid otherwise. But if he is that reading sort, maybe 7 is a bit early for those games (Every Phoenix Wright case being a murder case, the protagonist in Vesperia bloodlessly shanking some bad guys that the Law can't get to in Vesperia), but definitely not by much. They're largely wholesome, positive and colorful games.

Shadow of the colossus is awesome and basically family friendly as far as content goes, but the clunky controls and the minimalistic mood might not gel that well with every kid. Monster Hunter World on the other hand might be overwhelmingly complex, but I think every kid could get into hunting big dinosaurs with big swords. It's not inappropriate for his age group, it just depends on him. Monster Hunter isn't for everyone, you know.

Marvel's Spider-Man is also fun and largely kid-friendly, no swearing or blood or anything of that sort, but there is some death and violence in it that could be scary for a young child. The bad guy can mind control people, and he uses it at various points to make people bomb a public gathering or shoot themselves. It's not graphically portrayed, and usually uses laser guns or magic energy explosions, but it might be a bit much for a seven-year old. If you're okay with him watching the Spider-Man movies, then the game should probably be okay for him too. Just help him through those sneaky sections where you play as Mary Jane.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rayman Legends is about as kid friendly as it gets. I'd also consider the Ratchet and Clank series.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

Just a few off the top of my head -

• Crash N. Sane Trilogy
  • Spyro Trilogy
  • Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled
  • Tetris Effect
  • Shovel Knight
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • Transformers Devastation
  • Onrush
  • Overwatch
  • Dragon Quest Builders
aerithlives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, Knack 1 and 2 would probably do the job.

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Rayman Legends

Tetris Effect

Rocket League

Dragon Quest Builders

Ratchet and Clank

Infamous: Second Son

Spider-Man

Avatar image for thievingsince95
thievingsince95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My brother isn't much older than that and he's really into MLB: The Show. Otherwise Minecraft for sure, Rocket League, and that Spyro Trilogy.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By big_denim

The Ratchet and Clank remake is sooo good and underrated. I recommend it. I think your kiddo is the perfect age to enjoy that. Spyro is also an excellent recommendation.

Cliffpuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Hat In Time could be great for the kid. And for everyone else, too.

MeMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Into the Breach and Slay the Spire

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spyro, Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter.

I've currently playing DQ Builders. despite the childlike graphics, it might be a bit too complex for 7 especially later chapters.

jaseo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play games with my 6 year old son. He prefers coop games, so I would say Knack 2 (and Knack 1 also, but Knack 2 is better). Minecraft (which can lead to him watching of lot of minecraft youtubers). Portal Knights (recently updated) is good way to introduce a kid to RPG elements. But it's really all about the loot for a 6 year old kid. Lots of Diablo 3 (he'll be wanting to check out inventory all the time) and Borderlands series. (contains language such as 'badass'). All the lego games. Lego World is a bit different. Co-op Puzzle games like Unravel 2 and Pode.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Any of the Lego games for sure. Minecraft if he done't have tablet or computer that does taht better. Ratchet & Clank or Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy are good platformers. Since he is a UK kid, FIFA?