PS4 vs Xbox one multiplatform titles that different? 2015

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bcooper21

Im currently wondering right now because i rather stick with xbox if possible. Most games from last gen i played on 360 and i have all my achievements and have grown to prefer the 360 controller. Is it just as simple as one being 900p and other 1080p or is it similar to last gen where alot of games would run, look worse and have more bugs on one platform? If i remember correctly alot of games early on were worse on ps3 and as the gen went on became better.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the same as last gen. Make no mistake though 1080p vs 900p is a massive visual difference so the "look worse" comment is pretty much the case. The 900p on Xbox ONE games are primarily a concession made so that the games on Xbox ONE can run at as close to possible parity framerates to the PS4 versions. Bugs will be specific to games and are only really a result of the hardware infrequently (see Skyrim PS3.)

In the end controller preference > all of the tiny little differences as far as I'm concerned.

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bcooper21

@baronsamedi said:

It's the same as last gen. Make no mistake though 1080p vs 900p is a massive visual difference so the "look worse" comment is pretty much the case. The 900p on Xbox ONE games are primarily a concession made so that the games on Xbox ONE can run at as close to possible parity framerates to the PS4 versions. Bugs will be specific to games and are only really a result of the hardware infrequently (see Skyrim PS3.)

In the end controller preference > all of the tiny little differences as far as I'm concerned.

I think it depends on the game i have seen some games where PS4 runs better and Xbox one runs a few better. Looks to be about 80/20 as far as games go. Call of duty, Witcher 3 seem to run better on xbox one.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bcooper21: It's definetly game dependant like I said same as last gen. The 1080p vs 900p thing is just more transparent now, last gen plenty of multiplat games ran at different resolutions to account for performance. It all really depends on where you weight your preferences, if controller and brand loyality is a big thing to you or if you much prefer the performance and visuals of the other. Either way to me the consoles have equal ups and downs and in the end all that matters really is which ones have the most interesting exclusives to you personally.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

speaking of controller preference, i would love it if there was some awesome, steel-reinforced gamepad that felt like a tank and had the alternate underside buttons on the grips that DIDN'T cost $150. *sigh* if i'm stupid and my resolve is weak i may end up picking up one of the xbone elite controllers anyway...

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Direct X 12 is supposed to be helping a little with resolution stuff. Apparently Metal Gear V might be 1080p 60fps on XONE, and PS4 I have no idea. Or not, whatever. Battlefront, Destiny The Taken King, CoD Blops 3, Batman Arkham Knight, and AC Syndicate PS4 exclusives are coming to XONE too.

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bcooper21

@baronsamedi said:

@bcooper21: It's definetly game dependant like I said same as last gen. The 1080p vs 900p thing is just more transparent now, last gen plenty of multiplat games ran at different resolutions to account for performance. It all really depends on where you weight your preferences, if controller and brand loyality is a big thing to you or if you much prefer the performance and visuals of the other. Either way to me the consoles have equal ups and downs and in the end all that matters really is which ones have the most interesting exclusives to you personally.

I dont have any brand loyalty i just like doing achievements/trophies and bringing them other to next system. Feels weird but its almost like im losing them if i dont. I guess i could switch to ps4 but it feels weird having games achievements on pervious titles on 360 then unlocking new ones for ps4 since they wont carry over to sony's system.

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got both of the current gen systems and when playing a game I cannot spot a visual difference at all. I've played and seen vids various games on both and the only game I've really noticed a obvious difference was Battlefield 4. The lower Xbox One resolution is quite noticeable there.

It's fairly similar with frame rates too like with the recent Batman game. Both games dip a bit in the bat mobile with the Xbox One version dipping like only 1-2 frames more than the PS4 version.

So far the differences aren't anywhere near what was seen last gen. I'd say just get the system with the better exclusives for you, then buy the other console later when prices come down.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Honestly, if you prefer the various features of the Xbox platform, its exclusives and its controller over what the PS4 offers the difference between the majority of titles isn't big enough that you're not going to be able to enjoy multiplatform games on the Bone.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By RonGalaxy

@bcooper21: the trend I've seen is that the ps4 is just powerful enough to run games at 1080p at a decent framerate, and the Xbox one is just weak enough not to. This results in prettier ps4 games that run slightly worse than the worse looking Xbox one version. Also, the ps4 controller is vastly improved over the ps3', and is better than the 360's in a number of ways. You should give it a try.

Also, as a ps3 owner going to ps4, you forget the trophies you earned from the previous generation pretty fast.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mems1224

The differences in resolution are negligible. If anything, it feels like Sony is putting pressure on devs to hit 1080p and sometimes that results in games running a little worse on ps4.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mems1224 said:

The differences in resolution are negligible. If anything, it feels like Sony is putting pressure on devs to hit 1080p and sometimes that results in games running a little worse on ps4.

Witcher 3 is the only game I can think of with a higher res that runs slightly worse, most games run the same or better. Sony putting pressure on devs how does that work?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

You already sound pretty set on getting the Xbox so just get the Xbox and have some fun dude.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Graphically, I would say you notice the difference when side by side. But if you just see one, then see the other its hard to tell any difference.

I would make the exclusives the deciding factor easily, since multiplats are very similar. Its nowhere near last gen where PS3 multiplats were a mess for a long time.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Dualshock 4 is my favorite controller ever.

Other than that, it's down to personal preference and which exclusives do you care more about.

The graphical difference, while existing, I don't think is a huge factor, Xbone games are a little worse looking but still look pretty good. Some games will run better on whatever platform on a case by case basis, as usual.

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mems1224 said:

Witcher 3 is the only game I can think of with a higher res that runs slightly worse, most games run the same or better. Sony putting pressure on devs how does that work?

Advanced Warfare and Thief were two other games with this disparity but just like with the resolution differences, most games look and play close enough that it's all pretty moot.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By GERALTITUDE

The Xbox One will get games that are visually slightly reduced vs the PS4 but don't expect the bugs that plagued early PS3 multiplats. While that lasted it was almost entirely due to the 360 being more similar to a PC and the PS3 more similar to a mad scientists' experiment. PS4/PC/XB1 are all closer than last gen's machines were.

The most important question, if you only want one console for now/future, is which first party library and historical exclusives matter more to you?

Why would the differences between multi-platform titles sway your decision? Does that mean the actually exclusive games are irrelevant to you? Just wondering as I've never really heard this be the deciding factor.

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bcooper21

@geraltitude said:

The Xbox One will get games that are visually slightly reduced vs the PS4 but don't expect the bugs that plagued early PS3 multiplats. While that lasted it was almost entirely due to the 360 being more similar to a PC and the PS3 more similar to a mad scientists' experiment. PS4/PC/XB1 are all closer than last gen's machines were.

The most important question, if you only want one console for now/future, is which first party library and historical exclusives matter more to you?

Why would the differences between multi-platform titles sway your decision? Does that mean the actually exclusive games are irrelevant to you? Just wondering as I've never really heard this be the deciding factor.

Thats what i wanted to know because with PS3 the games did not just look worse than ran worse and were unable with some. I bought dead space 1 on ps3 the game had consistent drops in fps and was not a good experience what so ever. Then you had games like fallout 3 and NV which after so long on ps3 became unplayable to point the game unfinishable and broken.

I feel bad for anyone who only owned a ps3 last gen since there were some really crappy worsts. At least now every game seems to be playable on each platform.

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bcooper21

@shorap said:
@thepanzini said:
@mems1224 said:

Advanced Warfare and Thief were two other games with this disparity but just like with the resolution differences, most games look and play close enough that it's all pretty moot.

It really depends on the game most call of duty, Assassins creed, Witcher 3, Dragon age inquisition all ran better on the xbox one fps wise but at same time there 900p compared to ps4's 1080p. I guess it comes down to do you want 1080p or more stable gameplay in those games. I know in witcher 3 on ps4 it drops down to 17 fps where its gets to around 24 lowest on xbox one.

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shorap said:
@thepanzini said:
@mems1224 said:

It really depends on the game most call of duty, Assassins creed, Witcher 3, Dragon age inquisition all ran better on the xbox one fps wise but at same time there 900p compared to ps4's 1080p. I guess it comes down to do you want 1080p or more stable gameplay in those games. I know in witcher 3 on ps4 it drops down to 17 fps where its gets to around 24 lowest on xbox one.

True. I wonder how much horsepower both could free up if/when they tweak their OS to not be such resource hogs?

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shorap said:
@thepanzini said:
@mems1224 said:

AW single player was slightly better on X1 with MP being smoother on PS4, Theif didn't run well on any platform the texture problems the PS4 had were also on PC with poor optimization likley to blame. Unity was a train wreck at launch but has since been patched to run the same, DA:I only occasional drop in 1-2 frames, Witcher 3 latest patch matches the X1 in performace. The transition into next gen has been easier for X1 because its hardware very similar to 360 the PS4 having unified memory is a different beast, no game on X1 that looks or performs significantly better than its PS4 counterpart.

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bcooper21 said:
@shorap said:
@thepanzini said:
@mems1224 said:

AW single player was slightly better on X1 with MP being smoother on PS4, Theif didn't run well on any platform the texture problems the PS4 had were also on PC with poor optimization likley to blame. Unity was a train wreck at launch but has since been patched to run the same, DA:I only occasional drop in 1-2 frames, Witcher 3 latest patch matches the X1 in performace. The transition into next gen has been easier for X1 because its hardware very similar to 360 the PS4 having unified memory is a different beast, no game on X1 that looks or performs significantly better than its PS4 counterpart.

Nope still not fixed xbox one wins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nev-qxmHR7c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIDuHISn7wU

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ThePanzini

@bcooper21:

The Witcher is on patch 1.04 not 1.03

Digital Foundry

"PS4 version now more closely matches the Xbox One release during gameplay. However, performance is still variable, failing to hit 30fps in crowded areas or in detailed locations."

Neither console consistently 30fps in crowds, but saying the PS4 doesn't is a lie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdji6gQHp4I

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#24  Edited By Yummylee

@baronsamedi said:

It's the same as last gen.

I'd say console parity is closer than ever, especially when compared to the 360/PS3 gen. There were buckets of PS3 ports that were sheer rubbish in relation to their 360 counterpart, and I say this as someone that primarily played on PS3 during that era.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By conmulligan

@baronsamedi said:

Make no mistake though 1080p vs 900p is a massive visual difference so the "look worse" comment is pretty much the case.

"Massive visual difference" is dramatically overstating things. Through happenstance and serendipity I've lucked into duplicate copies of some Xbox One and PS4 games with different framebuffers, and most of the time you can only really tell the difference when you compare the images side-by-side or if you're specifically looking for pixel crawl on distant objects. The reality is that most multi-platform games use a blurry post-processing AA solution that tends to obfuscate the difference in raw pixel count between the two platforms.

If image quality is your highest consideration, then you should probably go with a PS4. Personally, I'd put a higher stock in which controller you prefer, what first-party games matter to you most and where your friends are likely to end up.

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bcooper21:

The Witcher is on patch 1.04 not 1.03

Digital Foundry

"PS4 version now more closely matches the Xbox One release during gameplay. However, performance is still variable, failing to hit 30fps in crowded areas or in detailed locations."

Neither console consistently 30fps in crowds, but saying the PS4 doesn't is a lie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdji6gQHp4I

1.04 does noting i have seen videos of the version just give xbox one its win on the few games it wins on and try not to be bias for any one system.

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bcooper21

@yummylee said:
@baronsamedi said:

It's the same as last gen.

I'd say console parity is closer than ever, especially when compared to the 360/PS3 gen. There were buckets of PS3 ports that were sheer rubbish in relation to their 360 counterpart, and I say this as someone that primarily played on PS3 during that era.

I went from PS2 to Xbox 360 now im going xbox 360 to ps4. Figure ill just get PS4 and play it safe. I usually research every game before i buy now anyway to know what runs better on what even older games before i bought them on ps3 or 360 and 90% of the time 360 had a big edge in fps so i always got it on that.

Im gonna stick with that ill buy w/e game is better on what system and end up getting both eventually for exclusives.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Xbox One plays Halo and it looks fantastic.

My PS4 runs Bloodborne and it looks fantastic.

My PC is still running a GTX 470 and I use that for FarCry4. So take all that for what you will.

Hewitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Direct X 12 is supposed to be helping a little with resolution stuff. Apparently Metal Gear V might be 1080p 60fps on XONE, and PS4 I have no idea. Or not, whatever. Battlefront, Destiny The Taken King, CoD Blops 3, Batman Arkham Knight, and AC Syndicate PS4 exclusives are coming to XONE too.

DX12 is mainly gonna improve PC development time and performance, I doubt you'll see much improvement on a console as it already uses a low-level API. Besides Ground Zeroes already runs at 1080p60 so I'd expect the same from Phantom Pain.

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By bcooper21

@hewitt said:
@blu3v3nom07 said:

DX12 is mainly gonna improve PC development time and performance, I doubt you'll see much improvement on a console as it already uses a low-level API. Besides Ground Zeroes already runs at 1080p60 so I'd expect the same from Phantom Pain.

Ground zero's was 1080p on ps4 and 720p on xbox one safe to say which one ill get.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you play on a TV, it's hard to tell the resolution difference. I play on a computer monitor close to my face so it makes a difference sometimes.

The other factor is if you play with friends and what console they went with. I have both consoles and they are quite equal. I prefer the Xbox one controller and that's where my friends are so that is my primary platform.

Hewitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hewitt said:
@blu3v3nom07 said:

Ground zero's was 1080p on ps4 and 720p on xbox one safe to say which one ill get.

You're right, the Xbone is running at 720p. Both at a pretty solid 60fps, though

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

@bcooper21@blu3v3nom07: Word on the street is that MGSV: The Phantom Pain will be 1080p/60fps on both Xbox and PS4.

News came out of E3 with a French site quoting Julien Merceron. As usual people should take a wait and see appoach for the finished product if it is a critical point for them.

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bcooper21@blu3v3nom07: Word on the street is that MGSV: The Phantom Pain will be 1080p/60fps on both Xbox and PS4.

News came out of E3 with a French site quoting Julien Merceron. As usual people should take a wait and see appoach for the finished product if it is a critical point for them.

Thats good.

dietlime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By dietlime

Note there is no legal distinction preventing publishers from listing 1080p on every box.

Most of these games are internally rendered at lower resolutions then scaled and combined with a 1080p UI before being displayed, so technically all these console games are "1080p."

As a discerning person and an enthusiast I can absolutely tell the difference, but the daily Sony diehards that go on and on about "900p" (and trust me, they do) - they uh, probably couldn't. Probably because none of these people have had to make the choice between 720p with PhysX and 1080p without.

Also getting tired of laymen telling Microsoft they know better, then playing Microsoft Direct X games on a proprietary asian gaming computer. It's like, that's cool bro.

Buy the console:

1.) That the friends in real life you'd like to connect with use.

2.) That has the controller you're more comfortable using.

3.) That includes the dashboard features you want.

(3 is my fanboy showing :P)

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By bcooper21

@dietlime said:

Note there is no legal distinction preventing publishers from listing 1080p on every box.

Most of these games are internally rendered at lower resolutions then scaled and combined with a 1080p UI before being displayed, so technically all these console games are "1080p."

As a discerning person and an enthusiast I can absolutely tell the difference, but the daily Sony diehards that go on and on about "900p" (and trust me, they do) - they uh, probably couldn't. Probably because none of these people have had to make the choice between 720p with PhysX and 1080p without.

Also getting tired of laymen telling Microsoft they know better, then playing Microsoft Direct X games on a proprietary asian gaming computer. It's like, that's cool bro.

Buy the console:

1.) That the friends in real life you'd like to connect with use.

2.) That has the controller you're more comfortable using.

3.) That includes the dashboard features you want.

(3 is my fanboy showing :P)

1. I have no friends so no problem there

2. 360 not tried xbox one yet only tested ps4. If 360 was my fav would xbox one be still mine?

3. Xbox one

Also on plus side i heard psn is down 30% of time and XBL seems more stable.

dietlime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By dietlime

Neither service is really stable from the perspective of a guy who hosts dedicated server, but that's a grossly unfair comparison. I will say Xbox Live is more likely to have partial outages, like the whole social/friend system goes down occasionally. Usually lasts less than a day.

if friends aren't a concern and you liked the 360 stick with the X1, aside from the controllers having an offset thumb position (which is huge imo) the first-party titles (Halo, Forza) are looking really great this time around. I know both services were giving out some free games and a lot of the XBL Gold ones have been F2P style games; but they've also given me a few I really enjoyed like Volgar the Viking and recently Assasin's Creed: Black Flag, so your year sub with XBL Gold might get you a couple games worth playing on a rainy afternoon.

Having used both, if you don't have a PC at all or don't want to get up, an Xbox One paired with a keyboard will do a better job of browsing the web with IE, and the YouTube app isn't... well it's not terrible- it functions, but the search will only produce popular results unless you've subbed ahead of time. Literally I can't find my own channel because it isn't popular in YT apps, I just use it for posterity sake, no interest in subs.

It has had NAT issues with some routers, I put my Xbox One in DMZ (forwards all ports) and it's been fine since. That's contributed to the X1's bad reputation, a lot of people play with bad Network Address Translation which results in disconnects and all sorts of horrible performance, ironically in one friend's case it was because of all the PS4's and gaming PC's on their network, lol. You don't just have six "gamers" (cries) in a house and not one of them knows how to forward ports. That's some noob shit, bros. This was largely MS' fault, the NAT test was displaying incorrectly and telling people they didn't have issues regardless of their config due to some bug in the UI; virtually no-one I've met is aware of this.

You don't need the Kinect or whatever, get the $400 1T bundle or go 350/ USB 3.0 HD later; the Xbox One (or PS4) is (are) currently imo the cheapest/easiest way to get a decent gaming PC in ~15 minutes.

Understand that they aren't "next gen" though. Anyone out there referring to console generations at this point based on OEM's like Sony and Microsoft are fools - Nintendo is a different story for obvious reasons. Your generational gaps are determined by Nvidia, Intel, and AMD- and there's about to be a huge one coinciding with VR, we're talking five-ten fold increase in power and hardware specifically designed to process VR barrel distortion built onto the 9xx cars sitting on shelves right now as I post this.

Neither side has any shit to fling. Both sides are based on the end-game of a generation's power-saving low-heat designs meant to last a long time and require low maintenance. Both have more in common with mobile phone graphics chips than what Nvidia's busy cookin' up, but that's a testament to how far we've come, not a negative- that we can get this much out of $350- the price of a graphics card alone.

Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Twiggy199

To me there is a lot more to it than just the games on each console. I can't really speak into the technical side of things. I was a massive fan of the 360, I never even thought about getting a PS3. But this gen I thought I'd get both, I got the Xbox one first, absolutely loved it, couldn't stay off it.

I got the ps4 a few months later, and the Xbox just shrivelled up into the corner and is now the proud collector of dust.

I prefer the Xbox one controller, but I'm just not a fan of the bumpers. The ps4 controller is still pretty good, the only downside is that they get slippy real fast with next to no grip on the sticks I find myself having to go under the sticks after a couple of hours play, rather than sat on top. In my eyes the 360 controller is the #1 controller made to date.

I feel the speed of the PS4's UI (Home/ Dashboard) is part of the appeal to me, it's very simple and responsive, where the "Bone" looks pretty and simple, but is in fact quite complicated to navigate and extremely sluggish. It can feel like a lifetime trying to find anything that isn't pinned.

They both have their ups and downs but to me the dust speaks for itself. Also I was the owner of the Original Xbox and never had a PS2, so the fanboy inside my heart would say get the Xbox, but my head would say go for the PS4. Why?. Because it's just better...