PSP looks like it is failing what should be done

bigdaddyjack21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By bigdaddyjack21

With sales down 27 percent compared to the same time last year what should be added done to make the platform a more viable and worthwhile system to own. It has some games like burnout GTA and God of War which are very nice on the platform. What I think the next iteration needs is improved battery life and i am not a fan of having discs in a portable they are pretty loud as they spin also. 

Moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Moon

They should let people use homebrew.
They should add a second thumb stick (joystick thing).

I already have a psp but I never use it because i cant run homebrew.

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Aaron_G

For the PSP to succeed it needs only one thing.... games. I can't think of any PSP game this year that would make me play it this year. 

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By fr0br0

They should take a year off and focus on making a completely new one.

yorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By yorro
Fr0Br0 said:
"They should take a year off and focus on making a completely new one."
Yes
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Karmum

What I really don't understand is why people think the PSP is failing. Is it producing less games and sales in comparison to the DS? Certainly, but it is not failing or is dying. People don't seem to understand that the PSP has been the greatest rival to a Nintendo handheld, and is approaching the 40 million mark for handhelds (or already has), an unprecedented feat by a non-Nintendo handheld.

While you didn't come right out and say it is dying, you were poiting towards it. You do make a good point though, it needs more games and thay definitely need to work on a new PSP that is actually worthwhile. I can't think of a good list of 09 PSP games to look forward to. Sales wise, it is doing great, but obviously not in comparison to the DS. It is just a joke to see users on different websites, and even website articles themselves try to downplay the PSP as a failing, or is dying, because they surely haven't seen the games it has produced and the astoudning sales stats, in comparison to non-Nintendo handhelds.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Dalai

I don't think it can really be saved.  The DS is where the money's at and it's not likely to change until the PSP2, maybe.  Nintendo has never had a bad handheld, unless you really want to count the Virtual Boy.

The problem with the PSP is that it's basically a standard handheld with beefy hardware.  Nowadays, a handheld needs some unique feature, a "gimmick" if you will, but a gimmick that works well.  Touch screen, tilt controls, microphone, something like that.  The next PSP needs something the others don't have.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BestUsernameEver

It's like saying the Zune is dying or failing, just because iPod is doing so well.  It cannot be compared like that, it just does not make sense.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By StaticFalconar
Aaron_G said:
"For the PSP to succeed it needs only one thing.... games. I can't think of any PSP game this year that would make me play it this year. "
All the previous years if you said that I would have agreed, but this year is the year that PSP came out with a crapload of games:

Patapon, Crisis Core, God of War, Wipeout Pulse; sure it may not be enough unless you only play one game every couple of months, but they are all good games nonetheless.
Qorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Qorious

To be honest, as much as I love the Playstation brand, I think the PSP is a failure. This year was horrible for the handheld! The only good game out for the system I think are Crisis Core, God of War, Burnout, GTA, Loco Roco, and Lumines. I think Sony should focus more on more original games instead of just PS2 ports or big IP ports.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheJollyRajah

I just think that Nintendo's franchises and games fit better for handhelds. Usually, when I want to play a handheld, I want to play something that's quck, fun, simple, but deep. Pokemon fits this description well. Laugh all you want, but I still play Pokemon games when they come out, because it's just plain fun, and it's easy to pick up and play. The PSP tries it's best to emulate the feel of a console and I think that's the wrong way to go. If I want to play a console, I'll play a console.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jayge_
TheJollyRajah said:
"I just think that Nintendo's franchises and games fit better for handhelds. Usually, when I want to play a handheld, I want to play something that's quck, fun, simple, but deep. Pokemon fits this description well. Laugh all you want, but I still play Pokemon games when they come out, because it's just plain fun, and it's easy to pick up and play. The PSP tries it's best to emulate the feel of a console and I think that's the wrong way to go. If I want to play a console, I'll play a console."
And if I want to play a console and I'm not in a position to play a console, I play my PSP and get the same relative experience in a handheld, which I would not get playing the DS.

The PSP comes at portable gaming with an entirely different perspective on handheld philosophy, and the fact that it has managed to sell ludicrously well in tandem with the popularity of what is arguably Nintendo's most succesful handheld platform ever is something that nobody tends to recognize. Arguments that the system "has no games" continue to be ludicrous and become more so as time passes and more gems are added to the large backlog of quality titles, while new games come out all the time (albeit slowly in NA/Europe). The PSP isn't a failure no matter what perspective you happen to be looking at it from, unless it happens to be in the eyes of most people's completely illogical expectations. Is it a huge threat to the DS? Are Sony and Nintendo neck-and-neck trying to get the leg-up over each other? No. Each handheld knows its place, and the PSP has set a high bar for any other entry-level device to meet for a non-Ninty product, a bar that probably won't be reached by anything else anytime soon.
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By OmegaPirate
Jayge said:
"TheJollyRajah said:
"I just think that Nintendo's franchises and games fit better for handhelds. Usually, when I want to play a handheld, I want to play something that's quck, fun, simple, but deep. Pokemon fits this description well. Laugh all you want, but I still play Pokemon games when they come out, because it's just plain fun, and it's easy to pick up and play. The PSP tries it's best to emulate the feel of a console and I think that's the wrong way to go. If I want to play a console, I'll play a console."
And if I want to play a console and I'm not in a position to play a console, I play my PSP and get the same relative experience in a handheld, which I would not get playing the DS.

The PSP comes at portable gaming with an entirely different perspective on handheld philosophy, and the fact that it has managed to sell ludicrously well in tandem with the popularity of what is arguably Nintendo's most succesful handheld platform ever is something that nobody tends to recognize. Arguments that the system "has no games" continue to be ludicrous and become more so as time passes and more gems are added to the large backlog of quality titles, while new games come out all the time (albeit slowly in NA/Europe). The PSP isn't a failure no matter what perspective you happen to be looking at it from, unless it happens to be in the eyes of most people's completely illogical expectations. Is it a huge threat to the DS? Are Sony and Nintendo neck-and-neck trying to get the leg-up over each other? No. Each handheld knows its place, and the PSP has set a high bar for any other entry-level device to meet for a non-Ninty product, a bar that probably won't be reached by anything else anytime soon."
Jayge speaks the truth, 
kcwsk8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kcwsk8

PSP will have a better 2009 then 2008.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheJollyRajah
Jayge said:
"TheJollyRajah said:

The PSP comes at portable gaming with an entirely different perspective on handheld philosophy, and the fact that it has managed to sell ludicrously well in tandem with the popularity of what is arguably Nintendo's most succesful handheld platform ever is something that nobody tends to recognize. Arguments that the system "has no games" continue to be ludicrous and become more so as time passes and more gems are added to the large backlog of quality titles, while new games come out all the time (albeit slowly in NA/Europe). The PSP isn't a failure no matter what perspective you happen to be looking at it from, unless it happens to be in the eyes of most people's completely illogical expectations. Is it a huge threat to the DS? Are Sony and Nintendo neck-and-neck trying to get the leg-up over each other? No. Each handheld knows its place, and the PSP has set a high bar for any other entry-level device to meet for a non-Ninty product, a bar that probably won't be reached by anything else anytime soon."
What's the number one thing about a handheld that differentiates itself from a console? Isn't it portability? The problem with the PSP is that most of it's games aren't as portable and accessible as the games on the DS. Sure, there are some games on the PSP which are portable, but they're few and far between. Another thing are the load times on the PSP; not as bad as it was when it first came out, but still bad enough where I just don't feel like turning it on. If you're on a long car trip, then yeah, a PSP is nice. But who can afford to take long trips everyday? The DS is more flexible and quick, and it's easy to play for 10 minutes and turn off.

And at home, my PSP is never on, because I can get an experence 20 times better on a console. Yet, the DS has a different approach to games, and it's unlike anything else out there, so once in awhile I will play it at home because you can't get the same experience from a console.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jayge_
TheJollyRajah said:
"What's the number one thing about a handheld that differentiates itself from a console? Isn't it portability? The problem with the PSP is that most of it's games aren't as portable and accessible as the games on the DS. Sure, there are some games on the PSP which are portable, but they're few and far between. Another thing are the load times on the PSP; not as bad as it was when it first came out, but still bad enough where I just don't feel like turning it on. If you're on a long car trip, then yeah, a PSP is nice. But who can afford to take long trips everyday? The DS is more flexible and quick, and it's easy to play for 10 minutes and turn off.

And at home, my PSP is never on, because I can get an experence 20 times better on a console. Yet, the DS has a different approach to games, and it's unlike anything else out there, so once in awhile I will play it at home because you can't get the same experience from a console.
"
Personal preference is all that argument has going for it. The PSP is just as easy to pick up and play as the DS, and arguments over whether or not games are "portable" are pointless- it's a portable system. DS games that manage to make use of its gimmicky touch screen are hard to find elsewhere, but most games use it only for rudimentary controls and other barely necessary applications simply to use the touch screen. The experiences, in cases like Elite Beat Agents, or Drawn To Life, or other things like that, are arguably unique; I don't disagree with that. There are, however, quite a few games on the PSP that you won't get to experience anywhere else, which do make use of the system's own unique capabilities.

Whether or not you choose to recognize that is your prerogative, but to make the DS seem like some kind of portable gaming mecca compared to the PSP simply because it's designed for children is silly. And as for load times, I'm not even sure what to say to that. I'm not sure if you've even bothered playing any PSP games that have come out in the last year or two. They are barely even noticeable for most games, less than 90% of console games that you can think of.
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By KamasamaK

It's considered a failure by some because of the juggernaut known as the Nintendo DS. The PSP has sold a good amount of hardware (about 42M units), but the DS is so much more popular (about 95M) that developers would rather make games for it. If you look at GB's PSP nominees, they're really good games, but I guess those are not enough to appease the masses. Sure there are other valid complaints like the lack of two analog nubs and that it doesn't provide as unique an experience as the DS, but if the developer support was there consumers would follow. I mostly use mine as a portable media device and occasionally for homebrew.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By brukaoru
TheJollyRajah said:
"And at home, my PSP is never on, because I can get an experence 20 times better on a console. Yet, the DS has a different approach to games, and it's unlike anything else out there, so once in awhile I will play it at home because you can't get the same experience from a console."
Loading times are also different on a PSP slim. I assume you have an original PSP? The slim has significantly reduced loading times, about as much of 50% less loading time for some older games, but newer games have improved loading times significantly no matter which PSP model you have.

Kamasama said:
"It's considered a failure by some because of the juggernaut known as the Nintendo DS. The PSP has sold a good amount of hardware (about 42M units), but the DS is so much more popular (about 95M) that developers would rather make games for it. 
Exactly, being in second place doesn't mean it fails, but there are some people who seem to think that way.

One of my favorite features about the PSP is that I can play a PS1 game on it by purchasing from the PlayStation store, without having to buy two separate copies of the game and still being able to play it on PS3.  I think this feature alone has made the PSP have staying-power.

In the end, though, I think Sony will have a better chance when the PSP's successor is released, provided they not only handle the marketing better, but perhaps change the system to have better controls. I think a big problem for some developers and something that has ruined a lot of games is the fact that some developers have made their games control as if they had two analog sticks. (Such as the Katamari game on the PSP). Having a second nub would really help developers have better controls for games, which is a very important factor in the quality of a game.

Lieutenant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lieutenant

Ditch UMD
Ramp up the download service even more so
Second analog stick
better battery life
trophy support
give the PSP a face of it's own. right now it's known as, "that handheld with a spin off of every PS2 exclusive known to man... oh and Locoroco.".

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ZenaxPure

Well personally I don't get the whole thing about the PSP failing, honestly the DS literally has dozens more games on it I want than the PSP but at the same time there is still plenty I want on the PSP.  I just picked up Star Ocean: First Departure over the weekend which is only my 5th UMD based game. There is atleast 10 more PSP games I want.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By get2sammyb
Karmum said:
"What I really don't understand is why people think the PSP is failing. Is it producing less games and sales in comparison to the DS? Certainly, but it is not failing or is dying. People don't seem to understand that the PSP has been the greatest rival to a Nintendo handheld, and is approaching the 40 million mark for handhelds (or already has), an unprecedented feat by a non-Nintendo handheld.

While you didn't come right out and say it is dying, you were poiting towards it. You do make a good point though, it needs more games and thay definitely need to work on a new PSP that is actually worthwhile. I can't think of a good list of 09 PSP games to look forward to. Sales wise, it is doing great, but obviously not in comparison to the DS. It is just a joke to see users on different websites, and even website articles themselves try to downplay the PSP as a failing, or is dying, because they surely haven't seen the games it has produced and the astoudning sales stats, in comparison to non-Nintendo handhelds."
This.

Didn't it sell like 400,000 units last month? Bloody hell, it's nowhere near the DS or Wii but that's a fucking amazing number. For a system that has next to no games it sells like crazy.

I consider like 10,000 units failing. The PSP is doing fine. Not DS fine, but seriously fine.