Salute: 1UP Acquired By UGO, Downsized; EGM Shuttered

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By Media_Master

I haven't read EGM for years, so no tears from me!

bandro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#202  Edited By bandro

as i said previously - a community of close-knit glistening personalities that i would have worked for nothing to be a part of.  they contributed generously to their readers and listeners, and always spoke fairly, and brought out real discussion within one another.  i think the majority also swore a lot and drunk too much, and liked weird spaced out loungy elevator music.  damn i'm gonna miss it.  

i shall continue to be inspired by their efforts to keep it real within an industry that can be too damn cheesy and optimistic at times.

it's 11:50pm here in London, and i'm gonna listen to my introductory 7th Jan Bombcast in bed.  PEACE!
hy4000uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203  Edited By hy4000uk

Fuck UGO, Fuck Ziff Davis

1Up was never defined by the domain name or the logo, 1Up was defined by the content and the people who work there

I will pour one out for talented motherfuckers who just got fired

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#204  Edited By bwooduhs

Can't wait till Rebel FM

Metiphis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#205  Edited By Metiphis

For the love of god offer the former staff of EGM and 1up some positions at this website!!  I would visit you everyday!

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#206  Edited By gearhead

This is amazing, check this out!

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#207  Edited By myke_tuna

I can't wait for Rebel FM either. Sounds like it's gonna be awesome. Anyway, as much as I would love having that same group of folks rolling with the GB crew, I don't think GB could hire/pay any of those fine folk without it getting a fat sum of money. It would be really cool though. The main GB crew only does some video reviews, some other video content, and a podcast. Adding these other dudes would add more content to the site and stuff, but I don't think GB could do it and pay them at the same time. I haven't seen an ad on this site since I started coming here frequently. And I turned off Ad-Block Plus for GB after Jeff posted that ad article. I figure I can see some ads to support GB financially, but I haven't seen anything.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#208  Edited By mrfluke

this news is hitting even developers

ive asked bionic commando producer ben judd what he taught  of this whole mess-up  and he gave a really good answer  ( so please dont flame the guy if he says something that hurts you)

http://www.bioniccommando.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9928#post9928

even valve has shown condolences for them ( i believe its the real valve because  now ex 1up features producer ryan o donnel wouldnt have replied back to them if it wasnt)
http://twitter.com/ValveSoftware/status/1100854790

and if anyone was worried about sony defense force  shane bettenhausen (relax i mean that in the lightest of terms he even calls himself that on the podcasts  :) )  hes already moving on  http://twitter.com/ShaneWatch/status/1100963239

EDIT : fixed broken hotlinks

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Please Brad, keep Giantbomb Corporation free!

Da_Muffin_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By Da_Muffin_Man

No, not Shane!!! :(

Darth_Ratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By Darth_Ratchet

*Crawls out of the decimated remains of the 1up community* My home was destroyed. My favorite magazine was burned down during the HEARST crusade...I was told Giant Bomb would house me with gaming shelter as a new home. *sobs*

HelluvaDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By HelluvaDave
dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#213  Edited By dsplayer1010

I hope for for the best for all the workers laid off. Truly tragic

Volts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By Volts

Its such a sad way to kick off 2009 for not only all of  that read 1up and EGM but more importantly all those that lost their jobs. 

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By Rayfield

Shame about EGM.

But as far as 1up.com is concerned, perhaps this is the shake-up they need. I thought the website became stale in the last year or so and their video content is pretty awful. 1up Show now seems to be just smug people talking crap and Broken Pixels has become UTTER GARBAGE.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#217  Edited By granderojo

Been a reader since the beginning, and still got six months worth of a subscription.

Hey fuck it, what I will truly miss is there podcasting, because the magazine might as well been faded out, I read that thing for the novelty but I get most my media online.

Anyways hopefully bombcast can become my new home, fucking podcast kickass, you guys are truly radio personalities.

PS more Gary Busey

Volksjager352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By Volksjager352

I'd like to thank everyone here for showing support for 1up.  As a passionate 1upper who is relocating to this site out of protest, it makes the loss of 1up, broken pixels and EGM a little easier to bear.  I was hoping to see the new season of broken pixels on 1/6/09, but I got something far worse than I ever could have imagined.  Nothing can ever top 1up, but this site comes close and I look forward to what it has to offer.

RIP 1up and EGM.

Burn in hell UGO.

Dreamwinder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By Dreamwinder

I joined Giant Bomb today because of this. I'm never going back there after this. The world of gaming is poorer for the loss of not just a great gaming site,  but a great staff . (who got laid off today)

MrRedwine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By MrRedwine

I just want to welcome all the 1up community folks who have found there way here.  We are glad you found a place to land.  I'm sure the 1up staff will find a place, too.

Skrattybones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By Skrattybones
MrRedwine said:
"I just want to welcome all the 1up community folks who have found there way here.  We are glad you found a place to land.  I'm sure the 1up staff will find a place, too."
Thanks, buddy! Can I have a hug?
XaintXBL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By XaintXBL

I'm another 1up and EGM follower.  I've been told this is great site.

hoyle1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By hoyle1911

Just checking in guys.  I feel like I just got burned out of my house today.  Come home from work, find out the world imploded at 1up.  Oh well.  Hopefully, this will be a great new home at Giant Bomb. 

And yes, fuck UGO.  They were a joke a decade ago, they are still a joke now.

MarcusFenix117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By MarcusFenix117

I, too loved 1UP Yours.. i wasnt a huge fan of the site (mostly because of the scoring system), but i really liked all of the podcasts from 1up.com.
itll be missed

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By Giantsquirrel

twitter.com/pkollar
twitter.com/nsuttner
twitter.com/chufmoney

RebelFM is coming tonight. Stay tuned.

PlasticChaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By PlasticChaser

I sincerely hope that those let go today find fulfilling jobs quickly for their families, as well as their own sakes. I must say HelluvaDave said it best in his great write up 8 posts up "How do I say goodbye to the friends I never introduced myself to?". I remember reading EGM and 1UP long before I got into the whole podcast thing, but when I listened to my first EGMLive (I think it was the first Seanbaby appearance on the show) I was hooked from then on. The familiarity and relation to the staff of EGM and GFW was what made me keep going to that news source day after day, as well as the media they offered through either podcasts or the 1UP Show.

Sadly as most have already said when the long time editors began to jump ship, then it was apparent what was in the works for the company. I give them great credit and respect for plugging away at the magazine regardless of all the changes that were made around the time when Shoe, Crispin, and the Jeff Green Brodeo left for greener pastures. I also hope that those that stay (Garnett, Tina, and the other fresh faces that were up and comers) continue to work with what UGO gives them, and tries their damndest to make 1UP the gaming resource we always remembered it as. I also thank those that worked at ZD and EGM over the past 2 years for the hours of entertainment that you guys put so much effort into, and wish everyone good luck.

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By Giantsquirrel
Haze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By Haze

Just read this news this morning and it made me physically iil. Its always difficult to see good, talented, hard-working people lose there job but in this case its downright agonising. I hope all the people involved move on to bigger and better things but but unless they all end up working in the same office it won't be the same. Something very special has died and that is very very sad. Again I wish all the best to everyone involved.

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#229  Edited By irishjohn

Oh man, this sucks.  1up.com was one of the good sites, and the 1UPyours podcast was up there with the Giantbombcast for me.  Sad stuff.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By suneku

This makes me so sad, I loved listening to 1up Yours and 1up FM.

Good luck in the future to the guys that got laid off

soupcan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By soupcan58

Wow.... I'm really gonna miss those guys....

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Terrible news, 1UP Show, Retronauts, 1UP Yours, 1UP FM,  LAN Party, Broken Pixels, they're all gone.
Seriously, after boycotting Gamespot after K&L, I switched over to 1UP and enjoyed their eclectic cast of editors.
Man, the landscape is pretty barren now.
Anybody know of any mirrors for RebelFM, their site is quite uncooperative.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

There is so much data on video games online that a magazine about video games is pretty much useless as it'll always be out of date, since the Internet pushes out daily updates to all things game.

I never went to 1up except once, so I can't really care.  They'll find new jobs.  And if that doesn't work out, there is always pizza delivery.

Ionotropic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By Ionotropic

I'm going to miss the EGM magazine and the 1UP Yours podcast the most.  I liked both the publication and all the guys that worked on the podcast.  Hope
to see the podcast reincarnated in some fashion in the future.  All the best to those whose careers were interrupted.

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#235  Edited By Aaron_G

Sad to hear more people lose their jobs. 

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#236  Edited By Snail

I can't believe this... Their podcast is-- is gone... first Gamespot got crappy now 1UP too?! I hope the ones that got fired have the best o f luck out there.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#237  Edited By Snail
JC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By JC

The mag and podcast will be missed. All the best!

Haze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By Haze

Eurogamer, Edge, Giantbomb, Gamecentral. The list of sources I trust is getting shorter.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#240  Edited By TheJollyRajah

This just blows so hard. EGM was the best gaming magazine ever made, I can't believe it's ending. I sorta feel bad for the guys that lost their jobs, but I also feel bad for the people who put so much of their time into 1up. They're gonna get hit the worst.

Not to be an asshole or anything, but GiantBomb looks better and better.
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By Absurd

Oh hai ex-1uppers

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#242  Edited By Goly

A shame considering that the 1up Show is so good, and the site in general I mean is great.

dualityofman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By dualityofman
Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By Zereta

1UP and EGM is indeed one of the most important things in the Gaming World.

We have all lost something dear to us.

Why don't Giant Bomb pick up some of the dudes laid off? Ryan 'O Donnel and Matt are pretty good.
Dovanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By Dovanna

Oh that so depressing. :( 1UP was one of my favorite podcasts/videocasts.
You guys keep strong.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#246  Edited By WickedCobra03

I have already said it at a million different forums.  But more or less, good luck to everyone out there who has been canned from 1UP/EGM.  It is terrible to see EGM, a staple of the videogame industry since like forever.  And hopefully most if not all these guys can stay together!

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By Zereta

Just something to say (From my Blogpost)

I've been reading all about it. 1UP go bought up. A Whole bunch of people, loads of dudes we all loved, gone instantly. Gamevideos: Terminated. EGM: Gone. This is, no doubt, sad news for all us gamers. Its sad news for those in the Game Journalism business, because, like it or not, 1UP was an integeral part of the game journalism industry. EGM was probably the best gaming magazine out there. All gone in a matter of seconds.

I'm not trying to blame anyone. As a lot of people from 1UP itself said, it was for the best of 1UP and if you listen to Rebel.FM, which is  made by dudes who were laid off, the guys who were laid off were the ones doing stuff that were consuming the most money. I'm saying it completely justifies the shit that just took place, but that's, unfortunately, how life is. 1UP was a business.  Money makes the world go round. If you are a costing a company too much money and there were lay offs coming, the chances if you getting laid off is extremely high.

But to anyone who posts in places where those laid off often visit or by some chance, if anyone of you who got laid off are reading this, please: Don't give up. You still have a chance. Can't get a job? Make your own! You guys love writing about games, talking about games. Start an independent site. Hell, look at Giant Bomb! It was started by dudes who were passionate about what they did and they too came from another bigger company and look what's happened: Giant Bomb has totally, completely destroyed Gamespot.

I'm not saying you should take revenge on 1UP and destroy it. There are still wondeful people working there but don't lose hope guys. Keep on trekking. You are some of the best of the best out there. You have an entire fanbase surrounding you. You like what you were doing, you keep doing that!

Good luck to all of you and I hope you continue on. Start an independent site like Giant Bomb or go join some other company. They will be dying to hire you. Just never lose hope.

ManlyBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#248  Edited By ManlyBeast

Never liked the site, but people losing jobs always sucks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eac5258b8c0b
deactivated-5eac5258b8c0b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goodbye and good luck to possibly the most talented and trusted group of writers in the industry (no offense or anything giantbomb)

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By sickVisionz

I feel sorry for these guys.  Hopefully someone picks up Andrew Fitch.  As being one of the only reviewers to not just give Eternal Sonata a mediocre score, but to also give Lost Odyssey a higher score, he was one of the only people reviewing JRPGs that actually knew how to judge the genre (imo of course).  I hope he stays around.

I'll never know what the true rating of JRPG is without him around.

PS, is there any chance of Giantbomb crew expanding with the recent increase of talent on the market?