• 91 results
sammpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sammpoo

So what's the scariest game ever? Has a game even scared you once in the slightest? or does any old game scare you at least once?

The only game that ever actually scared me in the slightest was Dead Space, but Silent Hill 2 had its moments too, so I'd rate those 2 as the scariest games ever, although I still wish some game could really make me pee my pants.

Arghhhh he's trying to kiss me!
 Arghhhh he's trying to kiss me!

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By luce

Doom 3, Silent Hill 3 and for some reason Alice for the PC

all scary in their own ways

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#3  Edited By sjschmidt93

Resident Evil REmake 

I don't even know if it's the environment that does it, it's the lack of ammo, the sub-par controls, the camera not showing you whether there's a zombie around the corner, and things like that. 

Your always on the edge of your seat.

aquamooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By aquamooch

Silent Hill 3 
mostly because I pulled an all nighter with the lights off

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MeierTheRed
Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

Condemned 2,  it was really immersive. Its pretty scary beating crack heads with a toilet seat.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hitchenson
Condemned: Criminal Origins most likely. I was... 13, I think, when I played that. Scared the hell out of me back then. Yes I'm a girl I know.
Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Resident Evil 2, but I never played 3 (heard it's way scarier). And System Shock 2.

To be fair though I haven't played many horror games, like the Silent Hills and Fatal Frames. I couldn't get into Dead Space either because the control felt super stiff to me while playing the PC version, which is weird because I usually like mouse and keyboard controls.

Galv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Galv

Probably Silent Hill 2. Mother fucking pyramid head!
VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By VWGTI

Fatal Frame 2 hands down. It's pretty hard to find these days, but if you're lucky enough to find a copy play it. It will scare the shit out of you.
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Whisperkill

Condemned is extremely scary and very immersive.
hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hero_swe

Penumbra: Overture, I haven't gotten very far in that game... I think you can probrably guess why
rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By rjayb89

Agh, you tricked me.  You aren't the lovable CitizenKane.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mordukai

System Shock 2 and the Suffering. 

Galv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Galv
@VWGTI said:
"Fatal Frame 2 hands down. It's pretty hard to find these days, but if you're lucky enough to find a copy play it. It will scare the shit out of you. "

I've been wanting to play that one for a while, but like you said I can't find it.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jkz

As sad as this is, the only game that has ever really scared me in the least was F.E.A.R 2. Some of the environments just felt like something I've seen in real life (the school/hospital) and it gave me a real feeling of loneliness, because of getting so close to your friends, only to have something happen that means you're alone again. Other than that, Silent Hill 2 had some moments, but those are really the only two games that have ever scared me, and even then maybe scared is a bad word. I'd go with made me tense up.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By penguindust

People have already mentioned some of my first choices, so I'll go with a different one that also spooked me;

Aliens vs. Predator for the PC was a shooter where you could choose to play as any of the three factions.  The Colonial Marines part was especially scary since, much like in the films, the tick of the motion detector let you know something was coming at you, but you had no precise idea from which direction.  It was a "bump in the darkness" thing.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Linkyshinks
@PenguinDust said:
" People have already mentioned some of my first choices, so I'll go with a different one that also spooked me;

Aliens vs. Predator for the PC was a shooter where you could choose to play as any of the three factions.  The Colonial Marines part was especially scary since, much like in the films, the tick of the motion detector let you know something was coming at you, but you had no precise idea from which direction.  It was a "bump in the darkness" thing. "

Check this dude out  : / 

rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By rateoforange

The scariest? The original Alone in the Dark for the PC. Dear god.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By flaminghobo
GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GunnBjorn
@rateoforange said:

"The scariest? The original Alone in the Dark for the PC. Dear god. "

Finally, someone that appreciate(d) that game.
It was my introduction into PC gaming... and i've been hooked ever since. 
The ominous atmosphere was just palpable, it gave me the so-called Cutis Ancerina. 
In retrospect, i can understand that especially younger people find that hard to believe, but it did.
ToastMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ToastMan

Phantasmagoria 2. And I wasn't even playing.
I remember watching my brother playing this and some scenes from this game were just fucking over the top in terms of gore.

Avatar image for krystal_sackful
Krystal_Sackful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By Krystal_Sackful

I remember when playing the original doom as a little kid I would literally run out of the room when anything scary happened. And to me, opening doors was scary.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By penguindust
@Linkyshinks:  

Ha-ha, damn that brings back memories.  That was my experience, too.  There were a lot of "Ahh!" and "Oh crap I got motion! Where the hell are they coming from?" from me too.   Yeah, that game spooked me something fierce.
warp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By warp

Silent Hill 2 springs the quickest to mind. Resident Evil 1 was scary at the time especially the dual shock version.

Eternal Darkness got me good a couple times as well. Some of those hallucinations were messed up.

Alien Vs Predator was almost unplayable for me as a marine cause it freaked me out so much. It was much better to be an alien than a puny human. 

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JJOR64

When I was young, the first Resident Evil used to scare the fuck out of me.  Nowadays, I don't get scared anymore.

dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dogbox

Condemned was pretty scary for me. I think I was 15 when that came out. I remember letting out this really weird yell when that creepy dude pushes you down the escalator and my mom thought I had been electrocuted! But there's a bunch of games I've played that gave me "stress scares," like Resident Evil 4 and Call of Cthulhu. I would actually feel helpless playing those games because of the bleak situations they put you in.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By get2sammyb

Siren: Blood Curse -- you can get inside the heads of the undead and watch them come and hunt you down.

Frightening.

ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ImpendingFoil

Fatal Frame

I love horror games and have played probably the majority of the ones out there.  For some reason though Fatal Frame was the first one to ever truly get under my skin to the point where I was still scared once I turned the game off.

Also when I was much younger The 7th Guest was something that also gave me the creeps, but I still had a ton of fun with that game.

But hands down Fatal Frame with probably Fatal Frame 2 in second.  I was prepared for what to expect when the second one came out.

narley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By narley

Resident evil 2, Silent Hill 2, and parasite eve 2. This last game, isnt really scary, but it can give you the same level of tension a residen evil game can. 

As for dead space. Its an awesome game. But maybe I havent played it for long enough to get to the really scary parts. So far, the only part that seemed like it could scare someone is when the first monster chases you to the elevator. But even then, It felt like an action sequence instead of a horror one.  
Im not too far into the game, but I'll keep cheking before I make my mind about Dead space.
leky1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By leky1

nothing

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ninjakiller
Hello Kitty Online

Pants filling terror right there.

For serious Resident Evil, the first playthrough was awesome.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheGreatGuero

The Resident Evil remake on Gamecube. If it wasn't for Jill's grenade launcher ammo glitch, I never would have finished the game. So much about the game was terrifying. First of all, the controls aren't too hot, which I still think is done deliberately in the RE games. When you kind of have to fumble through the controls, it can certainly make situations way more scary. Then it had the fixed camera angles, which made it difficult to aim and kept you from being able to see what could be lurking just a few feet away from you. There's also a major lack of ammo, so you can't shoot too wrecklessly (unless you cheat like I did, ha), and limited ink ribbons for saving. As much as I hate not being able to save as much as I want, it really works well here and builds a nice level of tension and fear. Then you have the Crimson Heads, which were a pretty brilliant idea. When you killed a zombie, it's dead corpse would remain on the ground throughout the game. At some point, each zombie would raise from the dead and become way more deadly and quick than it ever was. You got crazy, scary bosses. All kinds of frightening enemies. Sound and music that will have you on the edge of your seat. The graphics were no doubt some of the best I had ever seen at the time. Then you have Lisa, the daughter of the owner of the mansion who had been infected with several of these zombie viruses, making her invincible. Throughout the game, you'll have quite a few encounters with her. Easily the scariest character/creature I have ever seen in a video game. Man, I'm glad I don't ever have to play this game again, but it sure was incredible. Despite all the fear it brought to me, it was worth it. Excellent game.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By breadfan
Dead Space had a creepy atmosphere, but I don't consider it to be scary. 

However I can remember being around ten years old and playing Resident Evil: Code Veronica X with a friend of mine after school once.  We thought we were so cool playing an M rated game and we had to stop playing after a zombie dog chased us.  Silly kids.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

games dont scare me but Dead Space made me really tense and nervous.
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Akeldama

Silent Hill and Fatal Frame series 

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By guiseppe

Let me put it this way. I bought REmake around 2006 and I have not yet dared to play it for any long period of time :P. That's the only game I can think of that I find scary, but then again I haven't played too many horror games.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#40  Edited By Siphillis

Jurassic Park for the SNES.

jonostarsmore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jonostarsmore

Silent Hill 2 and more recently, Dead Space and Silent Hill: Homecoming....I was able to force myself to beat homecoming by pushing through the scary parts, but Dead Space scared me waaay too much to progress beyond 45 mins of playing.

FaintDeftone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By FaintDeftone

Easily Silent Hill 2. There were portions of that game that freaked me out so much that I ran into an area, grabbed what I needed, and ran out never to re-enter that room again. That game was nuts!

Psykerstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Psykerstar

Dead Space or Condemned 

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#44  Edited By Icemael

Fatal Frame II(well, it's called Project Zero II here in Europe). The first one wasn't so much scary as it was creepy, and I didn't have any major problems playing through it. But dude, the second one... it scared me to the point where I wanted to turn it off, but couldn't, because I didn't dare leave the couch. 

I managed to get through most of it, but after reaching the least scary place in the game(a cave under an old tree, illuminated by candles... that should give you an idea of what the game's scariest places are like), I refused to leave. The game wanted me to go back into the dark, scary-as-fuck village, but I said "Fuck you, Project Zero II. There is no way in hell I'm fucking leaving this cave." and stopped playing. Never went back, probably never will. 

EDIT: Oh, and all you guys who say Dead Space are pussies. That is the least scary horror game I've ever played.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#45  Edited By Jeust
@Icemael said:

" Fatal Frame II(well, it's called Project Zero II here in Europe). The first one wasn't so much scary as it was creepy, and I didn't have any major problems playing through it. But dude, the second one... it scared me to the point where I wanted to turn it off, but couldn't, because I didn't dare leave the couch. 

I managed to get through most of it, but after reaching the least scary place in the game(a cave under an old tree, illuminated by candles... that should give you an idea of what the game's scariest places are like), I refused to leave. The game wanted me to go back into the dark, scary-as-fuck village, but I said "Fuck you, Project Zero II. There is no way in hell I'm fucking leaving this cave." and stopped playing. Never went back, probably never will.  EDIT: Oh, and all you guys who say Dead Space are pussies. That is the least scary horror game I've ever played. "

interesting... fatal frame had no effect on me, because of the pacing and the slow and predictable phantoms, but dead space scared as hell in some parts.  
JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By JammyJesus

Hexen shitted me up good when i was a wee bairn.
NeoUltima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By NeoUltima

RE2...Survival horror games today aren't scary because they are too action oriented, no tension.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Icemael
@Jeust: I've never really understood Western horror. I mean, it's just jump scares. I wouldn't even call it horror -- jump scares don't make you jump because you're afraid. They make you jump because they're sudden. In Dead Space I never felt terror. Why? Because I was a badass space marine(sorry, space engineer)equipped with awesome weaponry, that could dismember anything in my way. I never even felt uncertainty. Was the game tense? Sure. Was it scary? Not really. 

Fatal Frame II, on the other hand, is Eastern horror, which I find scary as fuck. Instead of being a space marine with plasma weaponry, I was a weak little girl with a camera. Instead of dismembering silly-looking monsters, I was forced to take close-up pictures of wailing ghosts. Instead of traversing a (in comparison)well-illuminated ship, I was walking around in a pitch-black village. The atmosphere was oppressive, the ghosts were petrifying, and the camera angles more than doubled the scare factor. 

Dead Space was too "in your face" to be scary. Oh look, a screaming monster running at you. Oh look, blood. Oh look, people killing themselves. How anyone can find it more scary than Fatal Frame II is beyond me.
RLLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By RLLink
Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#50  Edited By Undeadpool

Eternal Darkness. The hallucinations were freaky, but the concept freaked me out way more. *slight spoiler follows*

I've always described it to my friends as this: If you're the kind of person who needs something to surprise you, then you're not going to be scared. If you're the kind of person who thinks the idea of something starting one of the greatest conflicts in human history (World War I) in order to generate more corpses to feed to a dark god is scary, then you'll be terrified of this game.