Series X or Quest 2?

pearsonpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

At some point I’m getting a Series X. Game Pass feels like I found some crazy loophole and then the Bethesda exlusive stuff seals it.

That said there’s no real reason to get a Series X this year, and Abby’s Quest 2 talk has me curious.

If you could only get 1 of the 2 this year, which would it be?

Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I mean the Quest 2 is a pretty good deal for what it is if you are interested in VR / that subset of VR games. It's not the best headset (that's probably the one by Valve) and it has a lot fewer applications than other headsets on the market (excluding the link cable) but for the price it is and what it does it's a pretty good deal.

RobertForster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xbox series X is a much better long term value for your money. However, it comes down to what specific games you want to play. If there is a killer app that you have to play that can only be appreciated with VR, then get a Quest, but make sure you already have a powerful pc because the stuff on your phone is a novelty.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

If I had to choose, I'd be getting a Quest 2. I have a beefy gaming PC already so I'm pretty set for regular-ass video game playing, and Quest 2 offers a freedom that my current Rift S just doesn't. I recently had to rearrange my desk area and now my tower is behind my monitors, rendering the headset entirely useless.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@pearsonpark: Depends how much value you put on VR experiences I guess. How many great new VR games are you planning on getting? Is that going to be "worth it" for you personally? The Series X provides value for a longer period of time but if you already own a good gaming PC then you can probably do without it for a while and get the Quest 2 as a novelty add on. Either way you look at it the console will give you access to a lot of typical games while the Quest 2 will let you experience novel, but somewhat limited, experiences. Really depends on what you value more at the moment.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This year I'd get a Quest 2. Get a Series X when there are actual new games to play.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#7 FinalDasa  Moderator

Really enjoy my Quest, I think it's fantastic and got me intrigued in VR in ways I never thought I would be. To the point where another friend of mine invested in their own VR helmet.

But really, get a Series X. You'll have more games to play on it, it's less of a hassle to play it, and you won't need to manage battery and headset charges.

parapa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By parapa

Quest 2 is game-changing in my opinion, and by default the console of the year, given there are basically no new games on the X/PS5. The caveat being: Assuming you have a powerful PC, so you can link it up and play the high-end VR experiences. For my money Half Life Alyx is game of the year right now. And beyond that, I think there's a pretty substantial VR game library at this point, to where, if you've never played VR before, you'll have access to more exclusive games than on any other system this year. The experience is seamless, and the display is the best I've seen to date.

pearsonpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks!

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, I'd go with the Xbox. VR just requires a level of attention that I just can't commit to.

Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've been using the Quest 2 and its pretty fun. I'm not sure if it has any "killer apps" for it yet (besides Half-Life but I have not played that yet) but a lot of cool stuff has come out over the years to play.

The Oculus Link feature has been really buggy for me. By far the most disappointing aspect. I have a few games on Steam I'd like to play but I get disconnected around 15-30 minutes. Not sure if others are having the same problems, gotta try out Virtual Desktop and see if that fixes my issues.

clintlandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@pearsonpark: I debated the same choice and went with the Quest. To be clear I am very much a VR person and have played multiple times a week for a year or two (bought a Vive at launch but took a while for there to be enough content).

I’m greatly enjoying the thing and am mostly enjoying Pokerstars VR (I’m not a poker person but VR makes unexpected things compelling), House Flipper and just started Until You Fall. Also side loading Doom, Return to Wolfenstein and Quake 2 is so great.

Either way I hope you enjoy what you get.