Sessler & co. tweet about "bad news" concerning the industry

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@seanfoster said:

I can't imagine this has anything to do with posting video footage online, both consoles have Twitch integration built in. The exclusive coverage notion makes sense to me though, in which case I guess I won't learn anything until it's on GB. As long as it doesn't effect GB I don't really care. The rest of video game journalism can burn.

It looks like Sony is being super strict on what happens with their launch stuff.

I still find that possibility hard to believe. That would just be Sony sitting on their own balls.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Don't know how I should feel about all this. It's the nature of his profession I guess. He makes his money off of being able to report on other entities/things. That is all seemingly being taken away from him, but that's Sony's/MS's prerogative. It's not their job to make sure their well-being is kept, especially when they're being depended on for coverage.

Sucks though. He should come work for GB. :D

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#104  Edited By csl316
cbk486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbk486 said:

@the_laughing_man:

Jesus christ... Is this just limited to the PS4?

PS4 only. He even says that he now prefers the X1 for dev stuff.

@csl316 said:

Alter footage? Cost difference? I'm confused about what this thing is.

Developer costs using a smallish studio as an example:

Xbox One Dev Kits 10 X $500.00= $5,000.00

Sony PS4 Dev kits 10X $2,500.00= $25,000.00

I am 100% sure that Microsoft will get a ton more coverage than Sony. There is no conspiracy theory here, the simple truth is that Sony are providing one debug unit to one video outlet in North America (I don’t know about the rest of the world) and only a select few “wordy/written/text” based outlets.

And before the question is asked, I don’t actually know why Sony doesn’t want established video outlets to have access to video footage of their console before or after launch. It has never been done before.

In my mind this is a huge mistake and I seriously doubt that, that decision was made in SCEA, but rather at the HQ in Japan. The folks over there need to settle down and have a box of juice or something, because as someone that develops games, I want to get in front of as many eyeballs as possible.

I don’t know the reason behind this, but I do know that it is like giving Xbox a free advertisement on every 3rd party game review until Sony completes their inevitable…../Drum Roll 180.

The other reason behind this is that until Sony allows video capture with unrestricted HDCP, reviewers won’t actually be able to review third party games on the PS4 as they will want to do post production.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sigh, all this last minute nonsense just makes me wanna go "fuck it" and get a Wii U and a gaming PC.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Hailinel

@hailinel said:

@csl316 said:

Yeah. What the hell is this even talking about?

And how is this something that would make someone like Sessler shake in his boots?

It means Sessler could no longer do post production for PS4 games. It also sounds like Sessler did not get a PS4 review kit to play with.

What does that mean, though? No fancy editing on PS4 videos?

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@hailinel said:

@csl316 said:

And how is this something that would make someone like Sessler shake in his boots?

It means Sessler could no longer do post production for PS4 games. It also sounds like Sessler did not get a PS4 review kit to play with.

No editing at all.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I wouldn't trust anything Dent says.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@csl316: Like Gary and Brad said on Octoberkast, Nintendo's got the best lineup for this year.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@hailinel said:

@csl316 said:

No editing at all.

That's all? From Sessler's tweets, you'd think the world was coming to an end. This doesn't sound that bad at all.

Unless you're GameTrailers. Hoo boy.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Itwastuesday

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: Like Gary and Brad said on Octoberkast, Nintendo's got the best lineup for this year.

Indeed. By the end of the year I'll have at least 4 games I really wanna play. And Bayonetta 2 next year.... Granted, Nintendo's been weird about footage lately, too. Not that it affects me much, but everything is crazy.

I don't blame Sessler's wife about being upset. A good 5 years ago I decided pursuing any sort of job in the game industry just seems too uncertain (even once you're in there).

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't make sense. Unless he's throwing his hands up in the air about HDCP being on the units until it gets patched out. You know, HDCP the great devil that crawls in HDMI cables sometimes that costs at least a $15 HDMI splitter to erase.

Increasing strength to that being the case is the fact that PS4 debugs are in the hands of video outlets.

Avatar image for kristov_romanov
kristov_romanov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Sony just had to shut up and launch...

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Editing video can't be a Giant Bomb problem, right? They put a Video Feature bumper, but the rest of their posts are just raw dumps.

That doesn't sound great.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By TruthTellah
No Caption Provided

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk said:

Doesn't make sense. Unless he's throwing his hands up in the air about HDCP being on the units until it gets patched out. You know, HDCP the great devil that crawls in HDMI cables sometimes that costs at least a $15 HDMI splitter to erase.

Increasing strength to that being the case is the fact that PS4 debugs are in the hands of video outlets.

It seems he can't edit, which if you've seen all his videos. Heavily edited.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@hailinel said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@hailinel said:

@csl316 said:

No editing at all.

That's all? From Sessler's tweets, you'd think the world was coming to an end. This doesn't sound that bad at all.

Unless you're GameTrailers. Hoo boy.

IT also sounds like Only one review unit was sent out to a media outlet.

Check this.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87628981&postcount=1056

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@somejerk said:

Talking over footage could also be considered "edited".

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Sony, don't damage the immense amount of goodwill you've built up the last 8 months. Come on. Please.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hoped that Sony jamming HDCP onto everything HDMI output again (only to promise removing it in a firmware patch) was as bad they would get.

cbk486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By cbk486

@mariachimacabre:

It only takes one incident to completely torpedo everything they've worked for.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey said:

@somejerk said:

Talking over footage could also be considered "edited".

Did not even think of that......

That would make this whole deal INSANE.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By csl316

Sony, don't damage the immense amount of goodwill you've built up the last 8 months. Come on. Please.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Aegon

This doesn't make sense. Is this a timed thing? Do they not want footage to be edited within a certain period of time? I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere. If not then that would be an insane and unexplainable move.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Hopefully this will be fixed soon. Love Adam.

keris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@the_laughing_man: Is this PS4 HDCP stuff an issue entirely separate from the XBO embargo/esRAM stuff Arthur Gies was talking about?

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By zenmastah

Wii U and a PC it is then.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By SomeJerk

Not allowed to use PS4 footage for Youtube monetization, that theory gets thrown around. It's nothing that'll bother regular consumers, that's clear from the quite dramatic Sessler, so I'm thinking that. Or a melodramatic HDCP panic and he *just* received his PS4 unit, which is a non-debug that carries HDCP and lost it that way and riled the internet up hard.

Either way, Jeff's chill about this. I think we have nothing to worry about. It's normal for people to have no idea how to get rid of HDCP for less than a $600 licensed massive capturing device.

(And if any Swedish bomber wants to get rid of HDCP I can hook you up for 200 KR, you need HDMI to DVI cabling and a power supply, shhh)

edit: and if Sesslers wife really did post on his twitter like that thanking the video game industry for ruining his night then Sessler needs help and counselling for his anxiety issues and this issue has been massively overblown. We'll see shortly. Adding to the mystery is that November 11-12 is an on-location PS4 review event or something like that. Hm

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@keris said:

@the_laughing_man: Is this PS4 HDCP stuff an issue entirely separate from the XBO embargo/esRAM stuff Arthur Gies was talking about?

Utterly different. Go read the gaf thread.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By TruthTellah

I don't see how Sony could limit what people could record and edit on top of footage from the system. Would it just be part of their agreement to receive games? Because that would just mean reviewers would have to get games at launch instead of before it. Which, well, would hurt a lot of people like Sessler that run off of at-launch review videos and such, but it wouldn't necessarily be catastrophic for wider game journalism.

It would definitely be a big damage to Sony and anyone developing on the PS4 though, and I don't see why developers would be okay with it. I just don't see it happening(without them almost immediately backing down).

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wouldn't this, whole not being allowed to edit video, be more of a publisher by publisher thing, not a whole system wide thing? Seems strange that Sony would make the mandate especially if publishers are okay with video footage for the XB1. So I'm just spit balling here, but what if this is more a big publisher (say Activision or EA) not wanting their stuff modified in any way? Which would definitely make Adam upset I'd think, because those two publishers have the games that would probably give him the most hits. But like I said total guess there.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wouldn't this whole not being allowed to edit video be more of a publisher by publisher thing, not a whole system wide thing? Seems strange that Sony would make the mandate especially if publishers are okay with video footage for the XB1. So I'm just spit balling here, but what if this is more a big publisher (say Activision or EA), which would definitely make Adam upset I'd think, because those are the games that would probably give him the most hits.

PS4 has a HDCP built int. X1 does not.

Gantrathor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VIdeo games, y'all.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By SomeJerk

@boom_goes_the_dynamite said:

Wouldn't this whole not being allowed to edit video be more of a publisher by publisher thing, not a whole system wide thing? Seems strange that Sony would make the mandate especially if publishers are okay with video footage for the XB1. So I'm just spit balling here, but what if this is more a big publisher (say Activision or EA), which would definitely make Adam upset I'd think, because those are the games that would probably give him the most hits.

Yup! Theories elsewhere say EA.

e: I want to add, all the PS4 videos I've seen direct captured have been things from Sonys PR departments, ready-made stuff. HDCP is a piece of cake to get around, GB's ready for it. If this is about HDCP then be proud of being on GB. A site with crew knowledgable enough with good ears to figure out how to get past HDCP.

e: oh wow this is starting to look like it really is about nothing but Sessler getting an anxiety attack over HDCP protected HDMI video. I don't want to offend but that dude needs help if this got to him that bad. He went on about it when it came out it'd be HDCP protected in the first place too.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Time to unplug and watch a bunch of people I don't know in real life play Pathfinder.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@somejerk: Doesn't GB use S-Video to record current console stuff?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

So Sessler was crying wolf, huh?

Again?

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@animasta: They use HDMI on the Xbox, Component on the PS3.

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By kishinfoulux
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Let me clarify 1 thing, it's not about "video capture issues", it's about evaluating things in staged environments. Don't trust staged shit."

-Annoyed Gamer

Does this mean, reviewers would have to go to staged reviewing events in order to get their hands on a game before launch????

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@somejerk: Doesn't GB use S-Video to record current console stuff?

They use anything at hand, component for PS3 right now. They are prepared to get around HDCP protected HDMI. Seen a Black Magic box, in a behind the scenes thing there.