So I guess there'll be a League of Legends MMO

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

That's according to multiple sources! I guess when Greg Street was hired by Riot it was kind of a foregone conclusion. He was the lead communicator dude on WoW for a long time and left...quite a while ago to go to Riot. I guess that means that there's an MMO on the way!

While Street did not provide specifics, the MMO will take place in the world of Runeterra, the same universe that League of Legends and other Riot Games titles take place in. Street’s Twitter bio says that he oversees the League of Legends property, Riot Forge, and creative for Arcane, the League animated series. Street worked for Blizzard as a lead systems designer for World of Warcraft from 2008 until 2013, so he’s no newbie to the MMORPG scene.

I don't know what that means but I guess Riot has the money to make a big-time MMO. I don't particularly have any affinity for the LOL universe because I've never played LOL but hey, more competition in the MMO scene would be nice. Street left Blizzard almost 3 and a half years ago so this might be pretty far along in development?

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

It's gonna be super horny isn't it?

noobsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Man, Riot really is making every genre of game now. I think we need to take a step back and see how this was the natural conclusion in a videogame world that prioritizes making hero characters the brand. Now that the heroes are popular enough, you can just make any game you want and the lovers of these thinly defined characters will come running.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noobsauce: Is this new? Isn't that what Mario and Sonic have been doing...forever? It's just that for a long time there weren't really a lot of new characters, but even Halo has had RTS games and an overhead shooter. Minecraft made a Diablo-like. Even World of Warcraft was literally an MMO spun off from a popular IP!

Video game IP is like any other IP. It's there to be exploited by corporations.

As for what this will be...who knows. I hope it's something more interesting than another World of Warcraft clone. I don't really care about League of Legends either but the MMO space could definitely use something new. The games that stick around mostly seem to be built on the Everquest game design model with a few tweaks here and there, and that model is 20 years old now. I guess if you consider Destiny to be an MMO that did create a new model, and maybe that's more in line with League of Legends, but even that is almost a decade old at this point.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By splodge  Online

This could be very interesting, and maybe actually good?

I dunno, their Auto-battler Team fight Tactics is IMO the best one of those by far. I haven't played an actual game of LOL in about four years, but boy am I hooked on TFT. Their card game, Legends of Runeterra is excellent aswell, and extremely generous with its F2P mechanics. Riot are extremely protective of the quality of their IP. This might translate into a decent MMO.

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

When I think about what an MMORPG in the world of LoL would look and play like, I think of Wildstars. Wildstars had a lot of precision-based skills and combat systems, often visualized with target cones. It also had a very colorful world to explore.

That goes in line with what LoL brought a lot of to the MOBA genre, so they might gi in a similar direction with their MMORPG.

dasakamov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dasakamov

@imhungry said:

It's gonna be super horny isn't it?

Sooooooo just like pretty much every other MMO that was ever created, since the dawn of time?