Oracle of Seasons / Oracle of Ages.

sunie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By sunie

Either Link to the Past for the SNES or Ocarina of Time. They're the best examples of the franchise. Or, if you love open world stuffs and discovering stuff without much to go on, I'd say try the very first one.
dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By dichemstys
@LiquidPrince said:
" Oracle of Seasons / Oracle of Ages. "
Those are the ones I have access to, so that'll be convenient.
BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By BrittonPeele

The Oracle games will be fine, but the best games are of course Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time (with OoT being my personal favorite). Twilight Princess would also be a good choice if you have access to a Wii, and Wind Waker is great if you have access to a GameCube.

Really, you'll be fine with just about any of the games, with the possible exception of Zelda II (I like it, but it's... different) and the definite exception of the 3DO games.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By KarlPilkington

Link dies.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrKlorox

The time to do so has probably already passed.

Ninjakid7396

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By craigbo180

Just play twilight princess, ocarina today isn't the same. Twilight princess is just a better version. I say either that or link to the past.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DeF
@birdflu777 said:

" @LiquidPrince said:

Those are the ones I have access to, so that'll be convenient. "
but note that those two especially are quite a different beast than classics like the NES original, A Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time.

Personally, I'd advise you to start with A Link to the Past. Why? It's a classic, it's showcasing the classic "Zelda-formula", it's still nice to look at, plays well and has great music, it's not too "advanced" like Ocarina or (being a 3D re-invantion of the series) other modern console Zeldas nor too experimental (like the Oracle games or even the DS titles).

It also doesn't take too long, it's quite open (allowing you to sequence break it at some points, if you feel like it) and has cool dungeons. From there you'll know all the basics and can go off to whatever game in the franchise you feel like.
Avatar image for deactivated-5bce12b22bc03
deactivated-5bce12b22bc03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it depends on whether you prefer the look of the 2D or the 3D games.

If you like the look of the 2D games, Oracle of Seasons or A Link to the Past are both great games to get you started.
If you think the 3D games look more interesting, I'd suggest Wind Waker or Ocarina of Time.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dichemstys
@Sargus said:
" The Oracle games will be fine, but the best games are of course Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time (with OoT being my personal favorite). Twilight Princess would also be a good choice if you have access to a Wii, and Wind Waker is great if you have access to a GameCube.  Really, you'll be fine with just about any of the games, with the possible exception of Zelda II (I like it, but it's... different) and the definite exception of the 3DO games. "
How is the GC version of Twilight Princess?
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By toowalrus

Ocarina of Time of Wind Waker are my favorite, and the ones I would start with. Link to the Past is fine, but I personally think the 3D ones are the best.

sunie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sunie
@birdflu777 said:
" @Sargus said:
" ... "
How is the GC version of Twilight Princess? "

Exactly the same, sans motion controls. And everything is mirrored, because of the way you control the wii version (sword in right hand instead of left)
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#15  Edited By Hailinel
@birdflu777 said:
" @Sargus said:
" The Oracle games will be fine, but the best games are of course Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time (with OoT being my personal favorite). Twilight Princess would also be a good choice if you have access to a Wii, and Wind Waker is great if you have access to a GameCube.  Really, you'll be fine with just about any of the games, with the possible exception of Zelda II (I like it, but it's... different) and the definite exception of the 3DO games. "
How is the GC version of Twilight Princess? "
It lacks the Wii's controls and controls more like Ocarina of Time/Wind Waker.  Otherwise, the biggest difference is that the Wii version is actaully a graphics and gameplay mirror of the GameCube version.  (i.e.:  Dungeon layouts are reversed, Link is right-handed instead of left-handed, etc.)  So if you ever need a FAQ, make sure it's for the proper version of the game that you're playing.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrKlorox

3D Dot Game Heroes or Darksiders.

Potango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Potango

what ever looks good to you.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DeeGee

Twilight Princess or Wind Waker. Without the nostalgic appeal, the later games really won't be very fun for you. You need an appreciation of the series for those games to not be too dated to play.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hailinel
@MrKlorox:  You gonna do anything other than troll this thread?
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By LiquidPrince
@DeF said:
" @birdflu777 said:

" @LiquidPrince said:

but note that those two especially are quite a different beast than classics like the NES original, A Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time.  Personally, I'd advise you to start with A Link to the Past. Why? It's a classic, it's showcasing the classic "Zelda-formula", it's still nice to look at, plays well and has great music, it's not too "advanced" like Ocarina or (being a 3D re-invantion of the series) other modern console Zeldas nor too experimental (like the Oracle games or even the DS titles).  It also doesn't take too long, it's quite open (allowing you to sequence break it at some points, if you feel like it) and has cool dungeons. From there you'll know all the basics and can go off to whatever game in the franchise you feel like. "
The Oracle games weren't that different from classic Zelda games...
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MrKlorox
@Hailinel said:
" @MrKlorox:  You gonna do anything other than troll this thread? "
Troll how? Zelda is way beyond its prime and there are newer games out there that make better use of its formulas. You're the only one trolling here with your off topic bullshit.
sunie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sunie
@DeeGee said:
"Twilight Princess or Wind Waker. Without the nostalgic appeal, the later games really won't be very fun for you. You need an appreciation of the series for those games to not be too dated to play. "

Hmm, I dunno about that. When it comes to graphics, maybe for some. But the gameplay has aged very well and the controls are very solid.
benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By benpack

Link to the Past for the SNES.
Don't start by playing OoT. It's my favorite but the graphics really don't hold up now.
Also my other favorite was Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By Dalai

I'd start with A Link to the Past and go right in order from there. I find the NES games hard to come back to personally, but at some point you should try out the original.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By landon
@MrKlorox said:
" 3D Dot Game Heroes or Darksiders. "
 A Link to the Past is a better game than 3D Dot. And if you honestly give someone Darksiders and tell them it's exactly like Zelda, then your doing a disservice to both games.
zameer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26  Edited By zameer

I loved Wind Waker, and its visuals have aged pretty well. If you can stomach the 'kiddy' art direction you should give that a go!

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DeF
@LiquidPrince said:
" @DeF said:
" @birdflu777 said:

" @LiquidPrince said:

but note that those two especially are quite a different beast than classics like the NES original, A Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time.  Personally, I'd advise you to start with A Link to the Past. Why? It's a classic, it's showcasing the classic "Zelda-formula", it's still nice to look at, plays well and has great music, it's not too "advanced" like Ocarina or (being a 3D re-invantion of the series) other modern console Zeldas nor too experimental (like the Oracle games or even the DS titles).  It also doesn't take too long, it's quite open (allowing you to sequence break it at some points, if you feel like it) and has cool dungeons. From there you'll know all the basics and can go off to whatever game in the franchise you feel like. "
The Oracle games weren't that different from classic Zelda games... "
Sure but as a first impression they're a weird choice. You wouldn't necessarily show someone who never played a Mario game something like Mario Land 1,2 or 3 (Wario Land), would you?
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LiquidPrince
@DeF said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
" @DeF said:
" @birdflu777 said:

" @LiquidPrince said:

Sure but as a first impression they're a weird choice. You wouldn't necessarily show someone who never played a Mario game something like Mario Land 1,2 or 3 (Wario Land), would you? "
I disagree. As far as Zelda games go, I feel like Oracle was the peak. It had a more intriquing story, and the connection between the two that actually changed the game world was awesome. It was my first exposure to Zelda games and they are still my favorite.
TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#29  Edited By TobyD81

Don't miss A Link To The Past

waitwhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By waitwhat

ocarina of time, majora's mask, and wind waker are my favorites and i still go back and play them quite often. i never liked the top down zelda games and i don't recommend twilight princess, but that's just me.

fearthephins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By fearthephins

I would either say the first one on the NES or if you want a little more modern time then go with Ocarina of Time.

Avatar image for christiancastillo
ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Link to the Past is the one I started with and the one that got me loving the series.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hailinel
@MrKlorox said:
" @Hailinel said:
Troll how? Zelda is way beyond its prime and there are newer games out there that make better use of its formulas. You're the only one trolling here with your off topic bullshit. "
Many would disagree with that sentiment.  Your opinion is not an absolute.  If anything, you're the one spouting the bullshit in this thread by answering the question of "Which Zelda should I start with?" with a response that amounts to  "herp derp derp Zelda sux."
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MrKlorox
@Hailinel said:
" @MrKlorox said:
" @Hailinel said:
Troll how? Zelda is way beyond its prime and there are newer games out there that make better use of its formulas. You're the only one trolling here with your off topic bullshit. "
Many would disagree with that sentiment.  Your opinion is not an absolute.  If anything, you're the one spouting the bullshit in this thread by answering the question of "Which Zelda should I start with?" with a response that amounts to  "herp derp derp Zelda sux." "
My god you're an ignorant person if that's what you got from what I said.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'd say Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time, since they kinda define each Zelda dimension well.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DeF
@LiquidPrince said:
" @DeF said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
" @DeF said:
" @birdflu777 said:

" @LiquidPrince said:

Sure but as a first impression they're a weird choice. You wouldn't necessarily show someone who never played a Mario game something like Mario Land 1,2 or 3 (Wario Land), would you? "
I disagree. As far as Zelda games go, I feel like Oracle was the peak. It had a more intriquing story, and the connection between the two that actually changed the game world was awesome. It was my first exposure to Zelda games and they are still my favorite. "
Really`? Huh, interesting. I've never really heard anybody call the Oracle games their favorite. I think this also comes down to which one we played first. I'm sure my having A Link to the Past as my first Zelda experience has sa big part to play in my recommendation :)

While we're at it, my favorite part about the Oracle games (and I think Link's Awakening did that too) was that they 'forced' you to use ALL the items throughout the whole game and not just in the dungeon you found them in or to find a treasure somewhere. Having to combine various (non-standard) items in a dungeon to solve a puzzle is something I wished they had kept doing more often.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#37  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I'm going to hop on the bandwagon and tell you to start with Ocarina of Time or Link to the Past. I still think they are the best games in their respective dimensions, although you can't go wrong with Wind Waker or most of the portable games.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mikeeegeee
@MrKlorox said:
Seriously, not a bad recommendation. 

Still, I was about to fire up a new save file on Ocarina of Time today. Been kinda itching to replay that game. I'd say it has aged really well.
Xanth93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39  Edited By Xanth93

A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time are your best bets for Zelda games. They are the best in the franchise and have aged extremely well. A Link to the Past will be hitting 20 years next year, and Ocarina of Time is only six years younger than A Link to the Past.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#40  Edited By gingertastic_10

You haven't played Zelda?? Get the fuck outta my face with that.

EvilKatarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By EvilKatarn

Wand of Gamelon

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By dichemstys
@mikeeegeee said:
" @MrKlorox said:
Seriously, not a bad recommendation.  Still, I was about to fire up a new save file on Ocarina of Time today. Been kinda itching to replay that game. I'd say it has aged really well. "
I'm currently playing Darksiders and LOVING it.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hailinel
@MrKlorox said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @MrKlorox said:
" @Hailinel said:
Many would disagree with that sentiment.  Your opinion is not an absolute.  If anything, you're the one spouting the bullshit in this thread by answering the question of "Which Zelda should I start with?" with a response that amounts to  "herp derp derp Zelda sux." "
My god you're an ignorant person if that's what you got from what I said. "
It's not what you said.  It's an intentional bastardization of what you said.  He asks where to start out of the entire catalog of Zelda titles that currently exist, and you behave as though every single one of those titles has lost relevance or is no longer fun.

Where would I start?  Probably either a Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, or Wind Waker.  They're all really good choices and offer something a bit different.  Though I did play a bit of Oracle of Seasons, and I agree that's not a bad one to start with, either.
DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DeeGee
@MrKlorox said:
" @Hailinel said:
You sure did troll there. It's like he asked "Which Medal of Honour game should I play first?" and you come in with "Modern Warfare 2".

So what that there are newer games that make better use of the formula? He asked what Zelda he should start with first. See that? Zelda. The Zelda series, you know? That Legend of Zelda series? With Zelda in it?
Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Chirag4

I'd start with either Ocarina of Time, A Link to The Past or Windwaker. They're all quite similar however, maybe too similar.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#46  Edited By BeachThunder

Link to the Past, Awakening, Oracles, or Minish Cap. I'm not quite sure you'd really want to bother with the older 3D games now...If you have easy access to the Oracle games, then go for it. Personally, I'd say that Seasons is the best out of the two.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By FreakAche

Try Wind Waker, I think it's safe to say that it's aged the best of all of them.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Tried playing a Wii zelda game for a few seconds, which confirmed that it was in fact just mapping button presses to vague movements, and stopped playing. Also because I'm not a little kid anymore, I don't appreciate the subject matter. It's not charming or deep enough for me to really enjoy. I'm not saying it needs to be darker, I'm not a "M rated or else" d-bag, just never enjoyed the material. Gameplay always seemed a little meh to me too, but I loooooved Darksiders so who knows.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#49  Edited By FreakAche
@MrKlorox:  I don't know. I think Zelda games still stand out as being pretty unique and something people should seek out and play simply because not a whole lot of modern games follow the Zelda formula, and those that do never seem to see mainstream success.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Hailinel
@FreakAche said:
" @MrKlorox:  I don't know. I think Zelda games still stand out as being pretty unique and something people should seek out and play simply because not a whole lot of modern games follow the Zelda formula, and those that do never seem to see mainstream success. "
I'm interested to see how Skyward Sword is ultimately handled.  The controls will obviously be different from the way that Twilight Princess worked, which might change the way that elements like combat feel, but I'm also curious to see what else they might change.  I think even Nintendo recognizes that there are things about the Zelda series that have gotten a bit long in the tooth at this point.