Summer Games Done Quick Jul 26-Aug 1st [Discussion Thread]

• 171 results
Top8Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Yea Roundabout is kind of amazing. There was an Eric Pope cameo and I think the developer is the guy that got the package from Aaron with the fog machine gas. Least he mentioned it.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Very cool of Studio to give a shoutout and acknowledgement of the donation incentive Hassun pitched. I understand why it couldn't be added as a last minute thing, so it was nice to at least have that.

Very entertaining run and commentary Studio!

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Let's not forget the double WORLD RECORD for Roundabout!

What an event. And to think the highlight so far was the guy who said he was gonna go psycho and kill people! Roundabout is now the standard.

I'm so glad I didn't go to bed.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#104  Edited By BBAlpert

@ikilledthedj said:

@demoskinos: I'm watching it now, what did he actually do, like yeah he kinda is a struggle to watch but has he said or does he say something a bit out of line?

EDIT: ohhh is it these multiple references to suicide?

Yeah, I imagine it was that and the (multiple?) time(s?) he stated he was going to shoot people in the audience. Like, at the end he said something like "one of these days I'm going to snap and murder you guys". I'd like to imagine he meant it as a joke, but it's the kind of joke that also gets made by people who actually DO go on to snap and murder people.

Plus, I've heard that the organizers explain to the runners what kinds of things they can and can't say ahead of time. He makes some half-hearted disclaimers the first few times he jokes about suicide, saying something like "but don't try this at home", and mentions later on how this is supposed to be a "family friendly stream", so it seems like he had been warned beforehand. I imagine there were at least a few organizers just offscreen waving their arms frantically at him during his run, trying to get him to shut up.

Third, supposedly the viewer count and donations dropped TREMENDOUSLY during his run as a result of his behavior. Normally I wouldn't say that viewer count and donations are necessarily the runner's responsibility, but when something is this extreme, it ventured into the territory of hurting (or at least stalling) the charity effort. Not to mention the potential concerns of corporate sponsors/advertisers.

All that being said, it's still super shitty of people to be harassing him on his stream afterwards. At worst he deserved a stern lecture from the organizers and to not be invited back for future events, not mob harassment. I don't know the details firsthand, so the worst-case-scenario of sponsors getting nervous might not be a concern, but still...

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My moment was the couch saluting as the ship was sinking in Startropics.

poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

at what point was there a gb shoutout?

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

@poveren said:

at what point was there a gb shoutout?

During the Roundabout run with Studio. He made mention of the effort to make one of the achievements referencing Ryan Davis a donation incentive.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@poveren: They don't have the section on youtube yet, but here on the twitch VOD is during the Roundabout part, which starts at around 14hr39mins6secs. Not sure when during it the shoutout happens, but I think that whole run is worth it anyways.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LMAO you see that Iwata thing during the Ocarina of Time run? mad awkward

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LMAO you see that Iwata thing during the Ocarina of Time run? mad awkward

I was making hotdogs so I missed it. What happened?

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#111  Edited By ESREVER
SuperFusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone wanted the runner to name the file name Iwata (even though there's no donation incentive for it) but the runner wanted to save frames so he just named the file name "I" instead. Not a big deal seeing as how a lot of other file names will have his name on it anyway.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The Superstar Saga run is probably the most interesting one on the level of game manipulation, next to the Earthbound one.

Someone wanted the runner to name the file name Iwata (even though there's no donation incentive for it) but the runner wanted to save frames so he just named the file name "I" instead. Not a big deal seeing as how a lot of other file names will have his name on it anyway.

Same thing happened in Earthbound, only that one was about RNG manipulation. And it's good, because Aurilliux shattered the estimated time and would do it even further if the RNG didn't crap out the one time during the end bit.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really enjoyed the Mario Kart 64 run. It made me want to dig out my old copy of MK64, but I traded it in when the GameCube came out. Trade-ins are evil, keep your old games guys. :(

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Notch just donated 5k during the Gat out of Hell run. What a guy!

poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@n7 said:

Notch just donated 5k during the Gat out of Hell run. What a guy!

He donated 5k during the Mega Man 10 (or was it Rockman & Forte?) run, too. I thought it seemed a little low, since I remember he did like 10k or 15k in a previous year. I guess he's just spacing his donations out.

(Not that a 5k donation is anything less than wonderful)

@ghostiet said:

The Superstar Saga run is probably the most interesting one on the level of game manipulation, next to the Earthbound one.

@superfusion said:

Same thing happened in Earthbound, only that one was about RNG manipulation. And it's good, because Aurilliux shattered the estimated time and would do it even further if the RNG didn't crap out the one time during the end bit.

With the Earthbound run, the characters all had single letter (or symbol) names, but the 'player' name (that gets entered a little ways into the game) was set as Iwata.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostiet: No worries. I made the same mistake when watching the stream live. I was in the IRC chat going "what is this 1 letter bullshit?!" with everyone else before the runner explained that he was going to use Iwata as the player name.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Bionic Commando: Reahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhed 2 run was fucking INSANE. MY FAVORITE SO FAR.

I'M SO TIRED.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@n7 said:

That Bionic Commando: Reahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhed 2 run was fucking INSANE. MY FAVORITE SO FAR.

I'M SO TIRED.

AHHHHHHHHHHH!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#122 chaser324  Moderator

@bbalpert said:
@ghostiet said:

@superfusion said:

With the Earthbound run, the characters all had single letter (or symbol) names, but the 'player' name (that gets entered a little ways into the game) was set as Iwata.

Yeah. Earthbound was an "Any % Glitched" run which required the character names to all be single letter character names. The player name was set to Iwata, but that only shows up once at the very end of the game. The donation incentives were properly set up for it though and specified that the character names could only be one letter.

Seiru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well this sucks, Robo's name is gone from the bid wars.

https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/run/1282

I donated some money to see RyanD as his name again like in the 2012 run. Now my donation and a lot of others are gone :/

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By hassun
Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big Jon's Lost Levels run was fucking insane. What a showman and stone cold killer that guy. Top 5 so far for me.

cadwr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That was so good. One of the best runs I've seen this SGDQ.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

@nux said:
@n7 said:

I'M SO TIRED.

AHHHHHHHHHHH!

HahAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH, is the kind of nonsense I can expect from PJ. That run was hilarious. Definitely one of my favorites I've seen so far.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seiru said:

Well this sucks, Robo's name is gone from the bid wars.

https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/run/1282

I donated some money to see RyanD as his name again like in the 2012 run. Now my donation and a lot of others are gone :/

It's back up. In second place, but behind the first place by $500.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tasbot wasn't quite as insane this year but still always fun. I was waiting for LttP to donate and it's finally here! Looks like RyanD is down by about $400 currently.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Earthbound completely blew me away.

Renaming Robo to RyanD is currently down by about $200.

Donate here

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Million dollar hype. Currently sitting at 953,466!!

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Error52

That Mario 64 0/1 star race was completely insane. It's my favourite kind of GDQ run - a small one without much attention that ends up being completely ridiculous and exciting.

bsstephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By bsstephan

Wonder if the person who donated $1,000 and put it on 2poch is a duder. I have some money to put towards RyanD but I'm saving it for the Super Metroid and Chrono Trigger prizes.

SotN race was the run for me so far, though there's been a lot of entertaining stuff. Really enjoyed The Lost Levels for the commentary and Earthbound for the ridiculous amounts of RNG manipulation. I missed more than usual this time around, but it's been a lot of fun. Oh, TASbot is always good too, though the Ikaruga run was just kind of... there.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1 MILLION DOLLARS. WOWOWOWOWOW.

Novis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$12k donation?! What is going on with these donations?

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eliot_Maas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aww looks like that huge donor took away any hope of RyanD. That was an awesome moment, though.

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Error52

@eliot_maas: Turns out all the sniped names were over 5 characters...

Eliot_Maas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@error52: Oh wow didn't even notice! Well we fell behind to Choco again. Down by a little more than $50.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks to @sunbrozak, we're back in this! RyanD is within $1000 to beat the big donator. It seems doubtful they're gonna donate for the winning name again; so, all we gotta do is beat it! It's possible! :D

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Donate! Less than a thousand bucks left! This is the final stretch!

No Caption Provided

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Eliot_Maas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really loving this Super Metroid commentator. Super professional - gives the race a really cool, official feel.

Decaped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Decaped

@sunbrozak:Yeah, apparently three of the most used characters (Magus Lucca Robo) have the concerted effort of some RPG runners to be named Hail Demon Choco.

But, Thank you based donator who put 2poch back on top of the Epoch naming!

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THE BABY!

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks everyone! Over $2300 for Doctors Without Borders. A great way to honor Ryan.

I appreciate all the donations both big and small. Folks really came out this time. We only got beat by a handful of very rich donators. ha. :)

bsstephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just hope that one anonymous donor is legit, and not someone with a stolen PayPal account or someone that's just going to chargeback everything tomorrow or some other BS. Beyond that, it was all for a good cause and well fought. I put my donations in for RyanD and 2poch. :)

HnNaldoR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The pokemon, digimon, roundabout runs were fantastic. Any other runs you guys think is a must watch?