The Community Spotlight 2020.04.11

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

Edited By Marino  Staff

Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community and I, ZombiePie am once again honored to be your host this week! I'm not going to lie, I have a lot of stuff to share to you this week! The most notable part of this edition of the Spotlight is related to the Giant Bomb Community Endurance Run! For those unaware, THIS WEEK is when the magic happens! That's right, dozens of Giant Bomb users will be streaming content for your enjoyment all in the name of charity! If possible check out some of the user-made blogs laying out their Endurance Run plans. Also, this year the event will be changing course and raising money for COVID-19 relief, as well as will be joined by Abby on Friday! It should be a fun time for all involved! Regardless, let's jump into the site-related housekeeping!

Giant Bomb Community Endurance Run

Can't stop, won't stop!
Can't stop, won't stop!

Giant Bomb Community Endurance Run X Announcement Thread (By: @thatpinguino)

It's the final week before the Giant Bomb Community Endurance Run begins! For those unaware, the Giant Bomb Community Endurance Run is a long-running spring-time charity event hosted by Giant Bomb community members, myself included! However, the event has changed its charity so the event raises money for COVID-19 relief and will even be joining Abby during her next Friday charity stream! Use the announcement thread to get all of the details!

I'm Streaming Roller Coasters, Final Fantasy, And Questionable Visual Novels In The Name Of COVID-19 Relief! (By: @zombiepie)

Moderator ZombiePie uses their latest blog on to talk about how they plan to stream OpenRCT2, Final Fantasy X-2, AND Paca Plus (I'm looking at you Drew Scanlon) in the name of COVID-19 from the 17th-19th! Use the link for more info!

ArbitraryWater's GB Community Endurance Run: CRPG IRONMAN IRONMAN (By: @arbitrarywater)

Hey, you! Yes, you right there! Do you like old-school CRPGs or Eurojank games? In honor of Dave Snider, ArbitraryWater is playing Troika’s The Temple of Elemental Evil: A Classic Greyhawk Adventure for the Community Endurance Run!

Rio's PSP Party Stream For The GBCERX (By: @riostarwind)

Moderator RioStarwind is planning on hosting a tribute stream to the PlayStation Portable for their contribution to the Giant Bomb Community Endurance Run! If you have any nostalgia for the platform read about how you can support their efforts!

I Shall Endure, Again (By: @electricviking78)

electricviking has a very "ambitious" plan for this year's Community Endurance Run: for every $100 they raise, they will COMPLETE The Bouncer! You heard that right... they plan to start and finish The Bouncer, up to five times, in the name of charity!Learn how you can make the magic happen, using the link above!

Tweets Of The Week

Clips Of The Week

ALL HAIL JEFF (By: @damaged6)

Giant Bomb user Damaged6 now performs a "special ritual" in hopes it will decrease the odds of eggs taking the place of fish while they are playing Animal Crossing: New Horizons!

Giant Bomb Galleria

Rival Video Game Website ACNH Designs (By: @jjweatherman)

Many thanks to JJWeatherman for publishing these QR Codes for long-time Giant Bomb fans, and props for including Patrick in the mix!

G1 Transformers (By: @stantongrouse)

Also, stantongrouse deserves credit for finding a way to add G1 Transformers to their wall, and sharing their designs for everyone else to enjoy!

Final Fantasy VII Remake x Jeff Photoshop (By: @monkeyman04)

With this work of photoshop genius Giant Bomb user Monkeyman04 decided to combine Jeff's two greatest loves in the world right now: Final Fantasy VII and VR!

No Caption Provided

Civ-Alex VI (By: @fobwashed)

Earlier last week, Alex hosted a highly entertaining stream featuring Sid Meier's Civilization VI and friend of the site, Fobwashed, tried their hand at making a promo banner for the hopefully recurring series!

No Caption Provided

Giant Bombcast Sketches (By: @morehandclaps)

morehandclaps makes a return this week with this wonderful sketch of Jeff and Jason from the "Lockdown" Bombcasts. I think we can all agree they really nailed down Jeff's hair!

No Caption Provided

Community Activities

The Animal Crossing New Horizons QR Code Thread (By: @marino)

As seen above, this QR Code sharing thread for Animal Crossing: New Horizons is the gift that keeps on giving! Feel free to use the link above and pick up some AMAZING designs and tunes created by the Giant Bomb community!

Blogs

Anyone miss the Saturn? If you said
Anyone miss the Saturn? If you said "Yes," then you should check out Gruel's latest blog!

25 Years of Saturn & Virtual Boy - Flashback Special! (By: @gruel)

If you enjoy "classic gaming" then this blog from Giant Bomb user Gruel might be what your looking for! They wrote a tribute/retrospective for the Sega Saturn and Nintendo Virtual Boy!

Indie Game of the Week 165: Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (By: @mento)

Mento finally got around to playing Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap! Read why they enjoyed the gorgeously animated remake while also wondering if it could have done more to honor the original game.

I Don't Want To Play This Game Online With Real People(By: @zombiepie)

ZombiePie uses their blog to discuss why a handful of negative experiences motivated them to never make their island in Animal Crossing: New Horizons accessible to the online Animal Crossing community.

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

(The Sequel to) Game of the Year, feat. Nioh, Doom, and Resident Evil (By: @arbitrarywater)

Nioh 2, Doom Eternal, and Resident Evil 3 were all on ArbitraryWater's plate recently and you can read why each sequel irked them ever so slightly in a different, but still annoying way.

LOG 2: MARCH 2020 (By: @mccash4gold)

MCCash4Gold provides an update on their gaming throughout the month of March! Read why they have mixed emotions about NieR:Automata and why they regret waiting until now to play Breath of the Wild.

Discussions & Threads

Obviously, Final Fantasy VII Remake is the big talking point of the community this week!
Obviously, Final Fantasy VII Remake is the big talking point of the community this week!

Final Fantasy 7 Remake - Reviews & Discussion (By: @glots)

Have you been following the reviews and coverage for Final Fantasy VII Remake? Based on what you have played, what are your impressions of the game? For those of you who do not plan on pick up the game, what is holding you back?

Final Fantasy VII Remake Spoiler/Ending Discussion (By: @braves01)

So, Final Fantasy VII Remake has finally hit store shelves and people cannot stop talking about it! The big point of contention, obviously, is the game's ending and changes to the original game. Where do you stand with these changes? Are they necessary or totally unwarranted?

Resident Evil 3 (2020) Impressions Thread (By: @nateandrews)

Have any of you checked out Resident Evil 3? How do you think it compares to Resident Evil 3: Nemesis or even Resident Evil 2 from last year? How do YOU feel about Carlos' hair in Resident Evil 3?

Sony Introduces The New PS5 Controller "DualSense" (By: @humanity)

How are we feeling about this thing? Positive or negative?
How are we feeling about this thing? Positive or negative?

What is your reaction to the recently revealed PS5 controller? Are you sold on DualSense? What do you think of the color scheme? Does this mean the PS5 default color will be white? Use the link below to join the discussion!

Deadly Premonition Endurance Run: 10 Year Anniversary! (By: @atomicfox)

As mentioned earlier, last week marked the tenth anniversary of the Deadly Premonition Endurance Run! As such, join the rest of the community in sharing your favorite moments and personal experiences with the game!

Game Recommendations For Parents During The Quarantine (By: @nutta27)

We have multiple parents in the Giant Bomb community and several are asking for game recommendations while they care for children or co-op games they can play with their kids! If you have any recommendations, feel free to help a duder out!

How Big Is Your TV? (By: @isomeri)

This game was great, isn't that right, Zack?
This game was great, isn't that right, Zack?

Here's a fun poll and thread everyone can join: what're the dimensions on your primary television screen? Are you rocking a 4K display, or are you using a smaller screen? Use the link below to join the discussion!

Did You Forget That Google Stadia Exist? (By: @not_a_bumblebee)

Did you catch the news that Google is offering two free months of their premium service on Stadia? Does this discount/promotion excite you? Did you possibly forget the Stadia even existed?

Lists

With Control only being #17, you can expect some SPICY takes on MoonlightMoth's 2019 GOTY list!
With Control only being #17, you can expect some SPICY takes on MoonlightMoth's 2019 GOTY list!

Game Of The Year 2019 (By: @moonlightmoth)

With all the gaming they have done as a result of the quarantine, MoonlightMoth finally felt comfortable with making a 2019 GOTY list! Give it a read using the link above!

Game of the Year 2019 (By: @noobsauceg7)

And the same goes for NoobSauceG7! They also played enough games from their 2019 backlog that they FINALLY felt comfortable writing a 2019 GOTY list!

User Reviews

This isn't the Doom game you are looking for....
This isn't the Doom game you are looking for....
  • @capt_blakhelm used the release of Doom Eternal as an excuse to check out Master Levels for Doom II, and you can discover why it left them disappointed and physically spent.
  • @charongreed's Hob review extrapolates why bugs almost ruined their time with the charming lighthearted adventure from Runic Games and Panic Button
  • @mayormikeackbar uses their review of Doom Eternal to discuss why "frustrating" is the word they think best describes their final impressions of the game.
  • @rgdraconic had some time to kill and ended up checking out Starport Delta! Read why they felt like it failed to scratch the 4X itch they wanted it to.
  • @tds418 decided to go back to Call of Duty 2, and game from their childhood they loved, and sues their review to discuss why some games are best left in the past.
jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I just finished Deadly Premonition this week, posting my progress on the way to the Giant Bomb Official/Unofficial Classic Xbox Club things. It's a hard thing to recommend to a sane person, but if you're on this website and have any affection for stuff like Shenmue it could be for you.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By TheMasterDS
Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I'm humbled that you would make my stupid image the preview image. I'm not worthy! *bows*

HoboZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By HoboZero

@themasterds: Might be something wrong with the image? I am getting an error trying to open it :(

Edit: All good now. Great shirt!!

Damaged6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you for the mention! GB community is awesome!

Random88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Random88

wow. Honoured to have my tweet reminding people how great the Dragon Ball Evolution Quick look is, featured in the community spotlight. Thanks again.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Yay, glad peeps liked the Transformers! Thanks for the mention!

Suits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm humbled that you would make my stupid image the preview image. I'm not worthy! *bows*

I had a good laugh over it :)

fobwashed his one is also hilarious