The story is bad, the frame rate sucks, still 8,5.

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Fruitcocoa

A lot of you are way to into the entire me being a "fanboy" and Killzone 3 being a multiplayer only focused game. Forget about Killzone 3 for a second and look at the damn score. We're talking quality here and believe me - someone who sees and 8.5 will not go "hmm, I wonder if it's for the multiplayer or the singelplayer". You should always judge the complete experience. You can't say - Yeah but the singelplayer is so awesome so this is a very good game because of that. No, judge what's on the disc, if the story sucks then let the user know.

Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Deeveeus
@CarlSmith said:
" A lot of you are way to into the entire me being a "fanboy" and Killzone 3 being a multiplayer only focused game. Forget about Killzone 3 for a second and look at the damn score. We're talking quality here and believe me - someone who sees and 8.5 will not go "hmm, I wonder if it's for the multiplayer or the singelplayer". You should always judge the complete experience. You can't say - Yeah but the singelplayer is so awesome so this is a very good game because of that. No, judge what's on the disc, if the story sucks then let the user know. "
If story sucks it doesn't mean the campaign isn't fun. MW 2's story was fuckin awful, but it was fun few hours...that is a game that was built mostly for a great multiplayer and damn do people love it.

Halo 2...story not that hot, once again though amazing multiplayer (and I fucking hate Halo, but there is no denying). Halo 3's story, also not super, but amazing multiplayer. Both games got awesome scores. 

I get that you want a great, deep single player experience...but you are looking in the wrong place dude. And if you see an 8.5 and winder WHY it got that, read the review! From what I saw, the game play and multi is a blast, but the bad story probably drops it to a 8.5 instead of what could be a 9.0 or 9.5. Read the last summary, the presentation score is the one really low factor (7) but the rest bring it up. Most people looking at shooters now want it for online

And I will reiterate, just because the story blows does not mean that the gameplay around it isn't the bomb. They just do not feel as strongly about the narrative as you do, and frankly, it's an FPS...I won't either.  Rainbow Six Vegas 2 comes to mind...that story was AWFUL...I lost track of it, but I did not give a damn, I just enjoyed setting my guys on doors and throwing smoke bombs...I want a great story I will nab ME2, RDR or whatever other great story game is around. 

And just as a side note, I rarely play shooters online (my online games of choice are Hot Pursuit and Motorstorm 2)
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#53  Edited By Little_Socrates

Having never played a Killzone game, I can't talk about the quality of the franchise, whether we're talking about multiplayer, single player, or the story. 

But I can say two things about reviews: 
1) 10-point scales with decimals are mostly arbitrary and are always related to "other games;" Killzone 3 may get an 8.5 because it's a "little worse" than Call of Duty: Black Ops. The five-star scale, with no "half-stars," allows for a clearer placement of games, and allows for less room for interpretation. Either way, the score is still somewhat arbitrary, and the text is what the reviewer puts the most time into. 
2) Never trust GameSpot's scores. The text reviews are often all right, but their scores are always cushioned one way or the other.

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By JerichoBlyth

Hmmm - they should have spent more time making more multiplayer maps and taking a gamble by releasing it in Q4.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#55  Edited By Skald
@CarlSmith said:
" A lot of you are way to into the entire me being a "fanboy" and Killzone 3 being a multiplayer only focused game. Forget about Killzone 3 for a second and look at the damn score. We're talking quality here and believe me - someone who sees and 8.5 will not go "hmm, I wonder if it's for the multiplayer or the singelplayer". You should always judge the complete experience. You can't say - Yeah but the singelplayer is so awesome so this is a very good game because of that. No, judge what's on the disc, if the story sucks then let the user know. "
I disagree. Having a lukewarm singleplayer shouldn't take away from the game's awesome multiplayer. For example, if a multiplayer-only Killzone 3 came out, it shouldn't get a better score better than the one with a campaign.
Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Jayzilla
@extremeradical: when did it become OK for game makers to only do half a game though? idk, if a game has a single player element and parts of it "suck" i think Van Ord's review score should reflect that. and i find van ord to be a pretty good review guy.
Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Fruitcocoa

You should always write about what you get on the disc. At the end of the day this just proves that a ten scale system with decimals just doesn't work. 

@Little_Socrates said:

" Having never played a Killzone game, I can't talk about the quality of the franchise, whether we're talking about multiplayer, single player, or the story.  But I can say two things about reviews: 1) 10-point scales with decimals are mostly arbitrary and are always related to "other games;" Killzone 3 may get an 8.5 because it's a "little worse" than Call of Duty: Black Ops. The five-star scale, with no "half-stars," allows for a clearer placement of games, and allows for less room for interpretation. Either way, the score is still somewhat arbitrary, and the text is what the reviewer puts the most time into. 2) Never trust GameSpot's scores. The text reviews are often all right, but their scores are always cushioned one way or the other. "
This is exactly what I am talking mess about, not Killzone. 
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Skald
@Jayzilla said:
" @extremeradical: when did it become OK for game makers to only do half a game though? idk, if a game has a single player element and parts of it "suck" i think Van Ord's review score should reflect that. and i find van ord to be a pretty good review guy. "
Wait, are you saying multiplayer-only games are half games?
Hooded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#59  Edited By Hooded
@Raven10 said:

" You realize we are talking about Killzone here? The story of the series is horrendous from the very first entry. If you are playing Killzone for the story then you are, well, just plain stupid. If we were talking about an RPG then I could see where you are coming from, but this is a shooter. The point is to shoot things. A good story is a nice bonus, and really elevates a game from the 8 range to the 9 range, but I have fun with shooters even if the story sucks. I mean look at Modern Warfare 2. That game got near perfect marks and the story makes no sense whatsoever. Halo 2 had a horribly told story that barely was coherent but again got near perfect marks. Sorry to burst your bubble, but most games aren't about the story. They are about the gameplay. Like I said, a great story can really help pull things together, but it isn't required for an enjoyable game. "

^ What he said. Totally agree, all the Killzone games sucks and they are hyped up to crazy.

Story in games aren't the strongest point, yeah its a big part of games but no where as near as big as gameplay. Anthony from IGN is a good guy and a good reviewer, so I trust his opinion. An 8.5 to me, is a good score, and for Anthony its a good score, so you should see that as a buy if your even interested in K3. I however wont.
bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By bybeach

I was hoping for a good story, and the trailers hinted at one. Naw...they couldn't really do it, even with some heavy events in KZ-2 and the tension of Rico's actions that must have gotten back to the dev's. But everything else is great apparently. Not the first time I played a game weak in story and superb in everything else. Some dev's draw the line at what they can skill in their media, but they do not get it beyond the barebones or why and whatfor you are Sev and fighting the Helgast. You are  good guy, they,  the bad. Okay. Sounds like they did a wonderful job with the game, but didn't want to hurt themselves on the storyline. 

I'll still get it,but I am dissapoint. They won't care I guess, they will get my money. And I do it ocurrs to me, I do have to see the game for myself, but the reviews have hit a prevelant theme. 

Edit, that trailer in the GB lineup really makes me wonder...maybe they did try, and it fell flat. Compared to whatever, I'm more inclined to be forgiving of that.
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#61  Edited By ProfessorEss
@ptys said:
 ...probably the most criticised thing about KZ2?.. so don't know how Guerrilla missed that?!
I don't know if they "missed that" as much as they just didn't succeed in fixing it.

I'm no writer but apparently videogame stories are either really, really very hard to write or no good writers want to get into the videogame business. I mean, how else do you explain the overall poorness of videogame stories?

To me it's a little sad when games like Killzone get beat up for their poor stories when as far as I'm concerned most games that get praised for their stories have pretty shitty stories too.
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#62  Edited By Evilsbane
@NL_Buddha:  Its good to see a strong fan of a series admit something like that, because yea I had fun with KZ2 but Rico made me want to reach in the TV and bitch slap him.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By MikkaQ

I don't remember any of Killzone 2's story, and I played it a year after it came out. So I see nothing has changed. It's still a fun shooter. The campaign missions themselves can be fun without needing a good story, and that's likely the case here.

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Fruitcocoa
@Jayzilla said:
" @extremeradical: when did it become OK for game makers to only do half a game though? idk, if a game has a single player element and parts of it "suck" i think Van Ord's review score should reflect that. and i find van ord to be a pretty good review guy. "
Exactly! 
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#65  Edited By TheHBK

Well its not just about the story.  The story affects the progression of the single player.  Other games have crappy or thin stories but the game has a flow to it.  A great story enhances this but the super crappy story and unlikeable characters break up the flow of the single player which is why I would think this game deserves more of a 8.  The multiplayer is great but the single players seems to be a disaster.  So gameplay in the singleplayer suffers because of the story, at least thats the impression i got.

Avatar image for theworldbreaker
Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Theworldbreaker

I dont see waht kind of story we were expecting from KZ3 (or KZ2 for that matter) i mean in KZ its simple, they go to helghan and hope they will end the war, simple as that its simple and realistic because        what else is their to ad? end the effing war on their planet seems to be the best metthod what else is needed? as for Killzone 3, well i'll just wait till someone makes a video review untill then i dont know what the story is so i cant comment on that.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#67  Edited By Black_Rose
@extremeradical said:
"Wait, are you saying multiplayer-only games are half games? "
I'm sure this doesn't apply to every game but. I always felt that something like Warhawk was a half-game. 
Vacancy009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Vacancy009

I think like with any review the story is just one piece of the puzzle.  The story can have all the impact in the world or could matter as much as putting multiplayer in dead space or bioshock.  If reviewers give it an 8.5 its because the game stands well on its own and regardless of story is fun to play.  I mean Mario Bros was just find the princess but how many hours were sunk into that game?

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Skald
@Black_Rose said:
" @extremeradical said:
"Wait, are you saying multiplayer-only games are half games? "
I'm sure this doesn't apply to every game but. I always felt that something like Warhawk was a half-game.  "
You have a point there.
ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By ISuperGamerI
@extremeradical said:
" The real appeal is the multiplayer, so the story doesn't matter as much as it does for a game like Mass Effect. "
Same I didn't even care for the story in Killzone 2, I only played it for the realistic online multiplayer.
metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#71  Edited By metalmoog

I haven't played a First Person Shooter that had a good single player campaign and quality multiplayer. The story in all shooters is usually jacked up lunkheads with big guns wanting to shoot shit and defend the galaxy from bad men, aliens and midgets with super soaker pistols. The story is usually always bad, but the gameplay is not. So yeah, I expected the KZ3 story to be the balls, but honestly it cannot get any worse than the Halo or Call of Duty campaigns. I thought Killzone 2 was a much more fun single player experience than any of those games.

Seems the reviewers all know this and rate shooters on multiplayer and gameplay instead of actual writing and storytelling as they would a different genre of games.

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#72  Edited By choffy21
@sofacitysweetheart said:
" @choffy21 said:
"Still, let's be honest: the last few Call of Duty stories have been pretty bad, but it's still gotten high scores. "
Not really. If anything, most people note their campaigns as being shorter than their preference. Black Op's story isn't particularly deep, but it's a thrilling experience with many interesting and memorable moments to discover.  "
Don't confuse thrilling moments with having a good campaign story. Sure there have been plenty of "oh wow..." moments, but that doesn't mean that the events leading up to that moment were particularly, well, good.
234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#73  Edited By 234r2we232
@choffy21 said:
" @sofacitysweetheart said:
" @choffy21 said:
"Still, let's be honest: the last few Call of Duty stories have been pretty bad, but it's still gotten high scores. "
Not really. If anything, most people note their campaigns as being shorter than their preference. Black Op's story isn't particularly deep, but it's a thrilling experience with many interesting and memorable moments to discover.  "
Don't confuse thrilling moments with having a good campaign story. Sure there have been plenty of "oh wow..." moments, but that doesn't mean that the events leading up to that moment were particularly, well, good. "
Let's not forget, we're talking about video games here. A good story in a game is generally understood to be moments of engaging gameplay. I thought Modern Warfare 2 had some fantastic build up to the action sequences, certainly as good as anything else out there. 

Maybe if it had some dialogue trees with space aliens you could sleep with. OMG 5 stars.
spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#74  Edited By spankingaddict

Of coarse the story will be very weak, but for Killzone it's all about the gameplay, atmosphere, and the technical graphics.

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By choffy21
" @choffy21 said:
" @choffy21 said:
Don't confuse thrilling moments with having a good campaign story. Sure there have been plenty of "oh wow..." moments, but that doesn't mean that the events leading up to that moment were particularly, well, good. "
Let's not forget, we're talking about video games here. A good story in a game is generally understood to be moments of engaging gameplay. I thought Modern Warfare 2 had some fantastic build up to the action sequences, certainly as good as anything else out there.  Maybe if it had some dialogue trees with space aliens you could sleep with. OMG 5 stars. "
That's not an excuse, or at least it shouldn't be one. Writers have a lot more time to develop characters and a solid plot than a movie writer does, yet the stories often aren't that good. 

And what about Red Dead Redemption, LIMBO, Heavy Rain, Grand Theft Auto IV, etc.? They have great experiences, not from exciting gameplay moments (though they do have those), but from engaging characters, great atmosphere, plot twists, etc.
christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#76  Edited By christ0phe
@CarlSmith: I don't think story is the big draw at all for Killzone
Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#77  Edited By Ramone

Another case for not using scores when reviewing games.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By phantomzxro
@CarlSmith said:
"Just read some Killzone 3 reviews. A common thing is that people are simply saying that the story is very, very weak. They are literally saying that it sucks. So, I just want to hear from you guys if you have great examples of games that the reviewer clearly thinks is worse then the grade they give to the product. Obviously - people are there because of the story and if that sucks it's very wierd that  it get's 8,5 which let's be honest - is not far of perfection. Share your crazy reviews here. I don't know if we're allowed to post which site it is that wrote the review, if so, then go ahead! :)  "

well i don't think having a bad or uninteresting story kills every game  and i also don't think most people play for story. Story is important to people in different ways, i'm big into story but some are not and could very easily skip cut-scenes just to get to the action. I can see a game for what it is and know i'm not playing this game for story as long as the story hold my interest just  enough to get back into the action. Borderlands is a great example of a fun game with poor story but is still a good game and does just enough to get you interested in the people and world.  So i think the score is pretty fair given the reviews i have read. 
234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#79  Edited By 234r2we232
@choffy21 said:
" @choffy21 said:
" @choffy21 said:
Let's not forget, we're talking about video games here. A good story in a game is generally understood to be moments of engaging gameplay. I thought Modern Warfare 2 had some fantastic build up to the action sequences, certainly as good as anything else out there.  Maybe if it had some dialogue trees with space aliens you could sleep with. OMG 5 stars. "
That's not an excuse, or at least it shouldn't be one. Writers have a lot more time to develop characters and a solid plot than a movie writer does, yet the stories often aren't that good.  And what about Red Dead Redemption, LIMBO, Heavy Rain, Grand Theft Auto IV, etc.? They have great experiences, not from exciting gameplay moments (though they do have those), but from engaging characters, great atmosphere, plot twists, etc. "
Now we're entering serious disagreement territory. I think Rockstar is capable of weaving only one good character and story thread per game. But OPINIONS.

The amusing thing about games with strong characters and story elements is that they almost always feel like a homage to films and television. This is what struck me when playing some of Enslaved and certainly GTA:IV. A game is about moments of immersion, that is the story of a game. All the writers have to do is avoid ruining that. Maybe that's just my opinion I guess :/
choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By choffy21
" @choffy21 said:
That's not an excuse, or at least it shouldn't be one. Writers have a lot more time to develop characters and a solid plot than a movie writer does, yet the stories often aren't that good.  And what about Red Dead Redemption, LIMBO, Heavy Rain, Grand Theft Auto IV, etc.? They have great experiences, not from exciting gameplay moments (though they do have those), but from engaging characters, great atmosphere, plot twists, etc. "
Now we're entering serious disagreement territory. I think Rockstar is capable of weaving only one good character and story thread per game. But OPINIONS. The amusing thing about games with strong characters and story elements is that they almost always feel like a homage to films and television. This is what struck me when playing some of Enslaved and certainly GTA:IV. A game is about moments of immersion, that is the story of a game. All the writers have to do is avoid ruining that. Maybe that's just my opinion I guess :/ "
Agreed, it's an opinion, but in Rockstar's case, I disagree. In GTA: IV, I was pissed when Roman was kidnapped. I hated the bad guy (can't remember his name which I doesn't really help my case). In Red Dead Redemption, I enjoyed playing as John Marston, and felt bad for the McFarland's when their farm burned down, etc. 

They create a strong main character, and make you care about their supporting cast in every game for me. Hell, I even enjoyed Bully, even though the story wasn't up to par with their previous efforts.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#81  Edited By EpicSteve

Most game stories suck. Gameplay matters. 

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By GunslingerPanda

KZ2's story was garbage too. As are most shooters'. Who cares?

masterchef92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By masterchef92

I thought the story was good and the graphics looked really nice. It's just that it seemed to drag on forever and ever. I was ready to be done worked like crazy to beat the game and still didn't finish it. I guess I liked Killzone 2 better. But up until the end, I was enjoying the story.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Locking, it was necro-ed.