• 72 results
#1 Posted by purc (127 posts) -

I'm sure there's one floating around here, but I couldn't find it. Throw down your ideas for This Is the Run.

I propose Zombies Ate My Neighbors, a 90's classic. It's difficult, huge enemy variety, great weapon variety, marvelous opportunities for Vinny and Dan to mess each other up, and great maps. It's a longer game, but the passwords to get to different levels would allow them to save progress.

#2 Edited by cloudymusic (2113 posts) -

Shock Troopers for the Neo Geo. It's on every modern platform via Arcade Archives and it owns super hard. It's an arcade game, so no continues (or a predefined continue limit, like 3?), obviously.

Alternatively, I dunno, Metal Slug or something.

#3 Posted by Pilgrimm1981 (142 posts) -

Streets of Rage 2 on Mania difficulty! It's a good challenge, and you only have limited continues.

#4 Posted by Captain_Insano (3477 posts) -

My memory fails me

How tough is Golden Axe?

#5 Posted by doombot13 (293 posts) -

Doom 1

#6 Posted by Rejizzle (1084 posts) -

King of Fighter's '98 arcade mode.

#7 Posted by tfarcevol (12 posts) -

Battletoads (Nes)

Contra Shattered Soldier

Double Dragon II (Nes) Hard Mode (Best ending and true boss)

Ninja Gaiden Arcade

#8 Posted by glots (4257 posts) -

Shattered Soldier or Neo Contra on PS2, assuming that those things have a permanent game over.

Blazing Chrome, once it comes out, could be a fun Contra-like throwback too.

#9 Posted by Efesell (4348 posts) -

Just... after Altered Beast how about a game that is actually still good. Don't recommend Battletoads now you cruel monsters.

#10 Posted by doombot13 (293 posts) -

Battletoads (Nes)

You're an evil person.

#11 Posted by soulcake (2649 posts) -

Metal Slug?

#12 Posted by hermes (2589 posts) -
No Caption Provided

#13 Posted by csl316 (14947 posts) -

I love Zombies Ate My Neighbors but it's so hard.

Comix Zone would be nuts but no co-op. Streets of Rage 2 on Mania.

#14 Posted by TheRealTurk (461 posts) -

I'd like for them to have a second team, maybe from GBWest, and then make it competitive. The team that completes the game in the fewest runs wins.

#15 Edited by saispag (134 posts) -

Any actually good game will do. Altered Beast is f'n awful, it was funny for a few episodes but now it's just painful.

EDIT: Ok just watched the latest episode and it was hilarious, because they hate it and it's terrible. But still, it would be good to see a good game after this.

#16 Posted by Brackstone (859 posts) -

It would probably never happen because it would take too long, but I'd love to see them do a cross coast This Is The Run taking on a horde mode of some kind on a hard difficulty. Maybe one of the Gears of Wars, or since it's popular again, Frontier Defence on Titanfall 2.

I think the arcadey retro co-op thing fits the series really well, but anytime they've done horde mode streams for GoW has been pretty interesting too. It could easily be a Breaking Brad or it's own thing as well. Maybe some kind of hybrid This Breaking Brad is the Run.

Really I just want more GB co-op content.

#17 Posted by billmcneal (1202 posts) -

Didn't Brad once mention that he has never finished "The Legend of Zelda"?

#18 Posted by SSully (5627 posts) -

I would love to see them do a standard Olmec run in Spelunky, but that shit is real hard.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
#19 Edited by Redhotchilimist (2948 posts) -

I think I went Wild Guns Reloaded last time we did this. That's a hard game that's also beautiful and high quality, the exact kinda game I'd wanna see them butt their heads against.

Loading Video...

There are so many good games, so I'll just second Efesell too. Do good games, the bad ones we all gotta endure but the good games are riveting to watch just to see what's next.

#20 Edited by Shindig (4837 posts) -

Yeah, they need something they'll enjoy if they're going to bang their heads against it.

#21 Edited by Nodima (2579 posts) -

I would like to watch Jeff Bakalar guest in Dan's chair and watch him and Vinny try to one-run Turtles in Time while Jeff continues to try to explain why the Ninja Turtles are a cooler, more enduring property than Transformers.

#22 Posted by Rigas (792 posts) -

@hermes said:
No Caption Provided

I literally beat that in one sitting when I first got it as a kid. My mom was not happy after spending a lot of money on it. So too easy for This is the Run

#23 Posted by Rigas (792 posts) -

@efesell said:

Just... after Altered Beast how about a game that is actually still good. Don't recommend Battletoads now you cruel monsters.

Battletoads was never good.

#24 Posted by Efesell (4348 posts) -
#25 Posted by count_zero (474 posts) -

@redhotchilimist: I like Wild Guns Reloaded as well - and because it does 4 player co-op, if Dan & Vinnie want to do a full Beast run (with some combination of Alex, or Jeff, or Abby in the other two spots) that would be pretty cool.

#26 Posted by clagnaught (2111 posts) -

This is a too late to the party thing, but I thought that Murder Island should have been a This Is The Run. Murder Island more or less ended when they did finally get the chicken dinner, but it would have been a fun idea if they just combined the two together.

You could have that idea with other battle royales, like Apex Legends, although I personally find them less interesting to watch. Maybe seeing so much Battlegrounds just made me tired of the whole thing.

#27 Posted by hermes (2589 posts) -

@rigas: I know it is not hard, but I still think the Capcom/Disney Afternoon games of the NES era are some of the best suited for that feature... with one caveat though, only Chip and Dale have co-op. :(

#28 Posted by shinofkod (173 posts) -

Gunstar Heroes would be a great choice I think.

#29 Posted by vdortizo (282 posts) -

What if they alternate the original Prince of Persia?

Avatar image for lenient_lasagna
#30 Posted by Lenient_Lasagna (11 posts) -

Sunset Motherfucking Riders.

Bury me with my money!

#31 Posted by theshauncannon (15 posts) -

tmnt turtles in time and/or hyperstone heist

#32 Posted by Tesla (2292 posts) -

Ninja Five-0

#33 Posted by Superharman (296 posts) -

@captain_insano: The Mega Drive/Genesis version? From recollection, not that tough if you're used to the flow of side scroller beat em ups.

#34 Posted by davidfox1983 (132 posts) -

Metal Slug or Sunset Riders

#35 Posted by hermes (2589 posts) -
#36 Posted by Nick (1031 posts) -

too bad Alex Kidd in Miracle world isn't two-player, i'd love to see them get clobbered on those boss fights

#37 Posted by bmccann42 (395 posts) -

Forgotten Worlds for the Genesis?

#38 Posted by Shindig (4837 posts) -

A clean lap at the Isle of Man course. It could be over in one episode.... or a hundred.

#39 Posted by WMoyer83 (1014 posts) -

With Dans love of Nintendo it would be fun to see Mario 3D Land on the Wii U

#40 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1818 posts) -

@redhotchilimist:

Yeah, Wild Guns Reloaded is still my dream game for them to do for this feature. I think it is just the right amount of difficulty, plus a hell of a fun game. Reloaded has infinite continues, so they could limit themselves to a 1CC run or something.

Shock Troopers for the Neo Geo. It's on every modern platform via Arcade Archives and it owns super hard. It's an arcade game, so no continues (or a predefined continue limit, like 3?), obviously.

Alternatively, I dunno, Metal Slug or something.

I just picked up that NeoGeo mini a couple days ago, and Shock Troopers (and a sequel, apparently, which I haven't tried yet) is on there. I had never heard of it before, and gave it a shot, are you are right, that game is awesome! Kinda reminds me of Jackal, but way better looking/sounding and with more interesting perspectives and such - probably not a coincidence that one of the playable characters is named Jackal, haha.

It might be a little easy for a This Is A Run, though? I managed to beat the game by myself on my third try (although maybe I picked an easy route? I went through Valley and then switched to Mountain halfway through)

#41 Posted by sparky_buzzsaw (8820 posts) -

Robocop versus Terminator. I can't recall if it's two-player (I don't think it is), but come on, it's right up Dan's alley.

#42 Posted by wicket42 (23 posts) -

Ikaruga is great and impossible.

#43 Edited by BrunoTheThird (824 posts) -
No Caption Provided

Obviously.

#44 Posted by KingBonesaw (1359 posts) -

I don't remember if Transformers: Convoy no Nazo has a two-player mode but that would be fun since it is so insanely difficult that Vinny would lose his mind.

Turtles in Time is a great suggestion already made.

#45 Posted by TheRealTurk (461 posts) -

Gradius? I remember thinking that game was nearly impossible. But i was playing single player. And I was 6.

#46 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (7484 posts) -

Lego Marvel Superheroes...I think ist at their lvl, and the gameplay would be interesting enough to watch.

#47 Posted by Captain_Insano (3477 posts) -

@captain_insano: The Mega Drive/Genesis version? From recollection, not that tough if you're used to the flow of side scroller beat em ups.

I played some version, maybe even a later or sequel version of Golden Axe on PC.

I remember it kicking our arses.

I was also like 10 and really dumb

#48 Posted by hughj (62 posts) -

NES Double Dragon 2 would be perfect. It takes about the right amount of time to play through, the mechanics are simple but take practice to master, the environments are varied, it has some of the best music on the NES, and the platforming sections will add a lot of nice drama.

#49 Posted by Superharman (296 posts) -

@captain_insano: Yeah, the reason I said what I said is because my brother and I always struggled with Golden Axe when we first got it. Fast forward a couple of years and a lot of Streets of Rage/Streets of Rage 2 runs and experience, we decided to play it again and breezed through it.

#50 Edited by L33T_HAXOR (939 posts) -

@shinofkod: seconding gunstar heroes, that would be great content

Edit: Oh, what about Toe Jam and Earl?