Three months into 2018: What's your favourite new release this year?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Poll Three months into 2018: What's your favourite new release this year? (210 votes)

A Way Out 1%
Celeste 8%
Dragon Ball FighterZ 8%
Far Cry 5 7%
Iconoclasts 1%
Into the Breach 12%
Kingdom Come: Deliverance 3%
Monster Hunter: World 28%
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom 4%
Sea of Thieves 1%
Subnautica 6%
Warhammer: Vermintide 2 6%
Other 15%

I tried to include most major releases/ things that people seem to be into.

Also, I excluded unfinished games and stuff that's been released previously in some form (remakes/remasters/re-releases/etc...), so no Shadow of the Colossus, Burnout Paradise Remastered, etc...

• 
Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

Metal Gear Survive.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Florence is my favourite game so far this year.

If I need to take something more mainstream I'd go with Monster Hunter World.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

As far as I'm concerned MHW already won GOTY.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By DinosaurCanada
  1. Iconoclasts
  2. Into the Breach
  3. Monster Hunter

I haven't finished any of them but love them all the same

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Far Cry 5 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

(I'm enjoying it so this is merely to stem the tide of hate against it)

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Octahedron, Celeste and Zwei: The Arges Adventure, in that order. Zwei is an old game but it's new in the sense that it's the first time it's been translated and brought over to the West. Also some tuff has been added to it.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Other, haven't played a new release this year.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Celeste, DBFZ, MHW in that order

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By MattGiersoni

Monster Hunter, because that's the only 2018 thing I played, I have a huge backlog so I'm playing a lot of that instead. MHW is awesome though, my first MH, I'm a bit into high rank, and It's still fun! 2018 is shaping up to be as good as 2017 but it hurts me because I still have lots of games to play from 2016/17 and an even bigger 2018 wishlist!

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Bonbonetti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Bonbonetti

So far: (1) Lost Sphear (2) Ni no Kuni II (3) TT Isle of Man (4) Monster Hunter World (5) Gravel (6) Pure Farming 2018 (7) Monster Energy Supercross

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#15 fisk0  Moderator

Neither of them are actually out yet, only in early access, but Ion Maiden and Forged Battallions are my favorites so far.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Haven't played a 2018 game yet, busy playing 2017 open world games.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is the only one I've played and I've had a good with it...so that one.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Far and away Celeste. I'd be surprised if anything topples it out of my favourite for this year.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shadow of the Colossus even though it doesn't count. Game gotta respect game.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Far Cry 5 by virtue of it being the only 2018 game I've played so far. Man, this year is off to a slow start.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@savage said:

Metal Gear Survive.

+1.

Shmellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killem_dafoe: slow start to 2018, but the past couple of years have still been incredible. There's so much variety and quality out there (priced reasonably, especially if you own a PC). No single game has been especially inspiring in 2018 but this year I'm pinning my hopes on Red Dead Redemption 2.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By MocBucket62

Celeste for sure. Granted I don’t have a system that can play those other titles, but I feel like Celeste would still be my favorite out of all those choices. Maybe Into the Breach could give it some competition if it was out on Mac or Switch.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Monster Hunter World, no question. I dabbled a bit in one of the 3DS games, but the controls just put me off after a while and ever since I felt like like I would absolutely love the series if it had proper controls and turns out I was right. It's not perfect. Bazelgesuse, some of the online aspects, and the lack of visual armor customization are just a few of the problems in this game, but what it does right, I would argue they do better than anyone else.

The progression and reward structure is on some top tier shit. There's a tiny bit of rng bullshit with a few of the drops, but I never felt like the game was deliberately wasting my time or that my skill as a player didn't matter because I needed better gear. It all felt very fair.

Second favorite game this year is the Radiant Historia re-release on 3DS. Yo dawg, that's still a great JPRG that deserves more love. Much like MonHun, it's a game that has no interest in wasting your time which is nuts considering the premise sets up a game that, if made by anyone else, would do nothing but waste your time.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

So far, I’ve really dug Full Metal Furies (despite the truly awful writing) and Mutant League Football.

Monster Hunter was a huge time suck, but the archaic co-op implementation sucked a lot of the life out of it. That first Anjanath fight and getting flooded out of the Rathian nest are amazing moments.

I’m looking forward to trying A Way Out, once my schedule aligns with one of my friends.

Sea of Thieves is my current fascination. I don’t know if it’ll hold up, but I started really cold on it and have grown to really enjoy spending time in that world.

bassguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

FC5... by a lot.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Monster Hunter World is the only new game I've played so far, so it wins by default. Although it would probably win anyway.

CyrusRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Celeste so far its real good. Followed Closely by DBFZ, and even tho I havent beat it yet Octahedron. Turns out its been real good year for platformers.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Only 2018 release I've played is Vermintide 2, so it wins by default for me. Fun game, though, so I'll take it.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#31  Edited By TheWildCard

Monster Hunter. The fact that the series has such a strong identity of what it is, but World is such a leap forward in terms of presentation and accessibility, makes for a really potent experience.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I haven't played any of the games in the poll or a game anyone has mentioned. What happened to me?

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This thread made me realize I haven't purchased any new games in 2018. I did buy Nier Automata this year, and that has quickly become one of my all time favorites.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kingdom Come for me. Probably the biggest surprise since DOOM. Expected something terrible but it's pretty good.

I really want to like Monster Hunter, but with a full-time job and a 10-month-old son, it's basically impossible to commit an uninterrupted hour to any game.

Mobile games have become a bigger part of my gaming schedule over the last year. This last couple of weeks I've been playing Shadowgun Legends on Android, which is basically a pocket-sized Destiny. Each mission takes under 10 minutes to complete so it's perfect for jumping in and out.

JoeDangerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Far Cry 5 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

(I'm enjoying it so this is merely to stem the tide of hate against it)

Hey nothing wrong about enjoyin' something. It only gets muddy when everyone starts flinging dirt and we forget how to discuss a game's shortcomings without being crude.

[ I'm dying to get FC5 and get my gal Peaches on the crew ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ]

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hard to pick between Celeste and Into The Breach. I think Into the Breach has the more satisfying gameplay loop, but I'll have to give it to Celeste for the story.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By frytup

Huh. Apparently I've only played two games released in 2018, and one of those (SotC) doesn't really count.

I think I'm still recovering from 2017.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played about 4 hours of Far Cry 5 and I'm bored. Struggling to go back to it.

It's too similar to the previous game, and everything that has changed is worse. I didn't mind it as much with FC4 because it was only similar to the one game before it. They've now done 3 identical games in a row.

That's not to say it's a bad game. In fact it's a fantastic game. I'm just totally burnt out on the formula.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

It's Monster Hunter by a mile, but props to Vermintide for being very fun (and something I hadn't originally planned to pick up).