• 103 results
mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By mathewballard
  1. Get over it! If you don't like you don't have to get it. The subs will help all of Whisky Media keep doing what they are doing without throwing a ton of ads out there or becoming IGN, Gamespot, etc.
  2. No amount of hate you spew is going to help anything.
  3. Don't attack those of us who get a sub. We will get it because we see the value in doing so. Like for me, the mobile site will be fantastic because I have me one of those shiny iPhone 4s. The HD video is another cool thing.
  4. If you don't like what they decide to do then go away, you don't have to be here and those of us who support them don't want you here.
Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Kyreo

Yes.  Most people will attack you for being logical about this whole thing though. 

You may want to find shelter.

EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By EVHKwick

I can't wait for the giant war that's going to erupt over this subscription business. I love seeing six of the same thread bitching or supporting one topic. 

But I do agree with @bizsumpark182 in every point he makes.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FluxWaveZ

How about you post this in the "official" thread about people complaining about/defending this stuff?

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Vinchenzo

Yeah, I'll give you my agreement. Can't introduce a subscription without stepping on a few toes,  let's be honest. For all of us that want to contribute to making GB better, the ones who despise any sort of subscription come out of the woodwork when it's finally introduced.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Ryax

not being serious at all because i dont give a shit about this sub business BUT 

THEY PROMISED THEY WOULDNT SPLIT USER BASE!!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAH! WHAT HAPPENED TO IT BEING ABOUT THE COMMUNTIY??? WHY CANT WE GET OUR WAY WITH EVERYTHING????

mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mathewballard
@Kyreo: I'm ready for it. I've been on various videogame boards for the last 10 years. They can't throw anything at me that I haven't already seen or heard before. I just want to throw my support to these guys.
mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mathewballard
@FluxWaveZ: Already have posted various comments there. I just wanted something more out there. Personal choice.
Lothars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Lothars

My issue is that there's no good reason to split the podcast, I want to subscribe and probably will but I am annoyed because splitting the podcast won't help anything other than lose goodwill for Giantbomb but I am glad they are having a subscription for I can support the site, just the podcast is not the way to do it.
Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Kyreo
@bizsumpark182 said:
" @Kyreo: I'm ready for it. I've been on various videogame boards for the last 10 years. They can't throw anything at me that I haven't already seen or heard before. I just want to throw my support to these guys. "
You know what... Yer pretty awesome.  (Not sarcasm)
mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mathewballard
@Ryax: Because in life you don't get everything for everyone. That is just the way it is.
illmatic19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By illmatic19
@FluxWaveZ said:
" How about you post this in the "official" thread about people complaining about/defending this stuff? "
Yeah, this only adds to the flame.
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By wefwefasdf

Do we really care about splitting the community? I mean, really, how bad could it be?

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By Tireyo

4. If you don't like what they decide to do then go away, you don't have to be here and those of us who support them don't want you here.

Running (going) away from problems doesn't solve anything.
Avatar image for nikoalexander57
NikoAlexander57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By NikoAlexander57

I like it when whiskey makes money

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dany

We do not need 4 threads on one topic

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Coombs

See,  
I like the idea, And I would love to pay for a sub. 
But the price is just to much. 
$30 a year is where I would happily pay

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ArchScabby

The fact that you have to be so defensive about it, well that says something.

Also, basically every other site on the internet  gets by just fine without subscriptions, there's no reason gaintbomb can't.

Which I don't even care about anyways, it's the stuff there doing to the bombcast that's bullshit.

mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mathewballard
@Lothars: I agree. I'm not a big fan of the splitting of the podcast. Because that really is going to make things complicated. They should have just created two different podcast instead of spliting one into two. Or at least made it seem more that way.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Video_Game_King

The hell? When'd you come out of hiding :P?

mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mathewballard
@Kyreo said:
" @bizsumpark182 said:
" @Kyreo: I'm ready for it. I've been on various videogame boards for the last 10 years. They can't throw anything at me that I haven't already seen or heard before. I just want to throw my support to these guys. "
You know what... Yer pretty awesome.  (Not sarcasm) "
Thanks. So are you. :)
Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ryax
@bizsumpark182: i was kidding man. i really dont care what happens. either way the staff and whiskey have to make money and if this is how it happens then so be it. its not the communities place to tell them what to do or how to do it. we are guests at their work.
EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EVHKwick
@Tireyo643 said:
"

Running (going) away from problems doesn't solve anything. "
But it makes all the level-headed user's experience better because it's just that much less whining we have to hear.
lutonhatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#24  Edited By lutonhatter

Sadly this argument high-lights the best and worse of Giantbomb, it is a great site with top staff. 

A better than average users. Sadly better than average still leave plenty of room for a ton of whiny idiots.

Yeah sure no one likes change, we all love the bombcast, but by two weeks time everyone will have two hours of bombcast to listen to, just some will be listening to half of the week before and the first half of the current. And the rest will have 1 whole show.

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#25  Edited By abdo
@Lothars said:
" My issue is that there's no good reason to split the podcast, I want to subscribe and probably will but I am annoyed because splitting the podcast won't help anything other than lose goodwill for Giantbomb but I am glad they are having a subscription for I can support the site, just the podcast is not the way to do it. "
Totally agree with this. The new features sound great, and it's nice that they get to make more money to bring us more stuff, but splitting the Bombcast into two parts sounds like a really bad move.
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DystopiaX
@Kyreo said:
" Yes.  Most people will attack you for being logical about this whole thing though.  You may want to find shelter. "
This. 

Also, realize that this is Whiskey's one hope of earning money. If this doesn't do enough, they will be FORCED to make much worse decisions like: 
  • actually locking away content (bombcasts, QL's, etc.)
  • allowing worse ads- rollovers, video ads, etc.
  • partnership deals (mentioned in the podcast- giving their work for others to use)
  • getting more money from game companies (setting themselves up for a kane and lynch-like scenario

Guys, face it. Buying this would be much better than the potential alternatives if this doesn't go well. 

Also, most of the people bitching will end up buying the subscription anyway because they can't wait a freaking week.
mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mathewballard
@Video_Game_King: I've been busy with life. I spent a large chunk of the year unemployed. Then found me a great job back in July and moved last month. So, I've just been really busy. But, it is big things like this that really does push to come out of hiding. lol!
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By ch13696
@bizsumpark182: I was starting to agree with everything you were saying until you flashed around your iPhone 4. Well, guess what? Not all of us have money to be buying everything we want.
JoRoNimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JoRoNimo

I'm with you, OP. I'm all for this site to make money, and show the rest of the internet how to make great content.  

mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mathewballard
@ArchScabby:  

1. There are plenty of other sites out there that have subscription services. Some of which I use.
  2. This isn't just about Giantbomb, this is about Whisky Media as a whole. Giantbomb is just one part of it.
Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Turtlemayor333

These guys are allowed to make money however they want, and we're allowed to have whatever opinion on it we want.

That's how it works, OP.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DystopiaX
@Ryax said:
" @bizsumpark182: i was kidding man. i really dont care what happens. either way the staff and whiskey have to make money and if this is how it happens then so be it. its not the communities place to tell them what to do or how to do it. we are guests at their work. "
And like i've been saying to a lot of other people, looking at other sites' subscriptions I think Whiskey has stayed relatively true to the "we're not them" mentality- they're not locking away shit, and if this helps them pay for the cost of their salaries, bombcast, and HD videos then I'm more than happy to pay for it.
mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mathewballard
@Ryax: It's the internet, it really is hard to tell who is serious and who isn't. 
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#34  Edited By Tireyo
@hack745: I guess that can be a good point. Good thing I have a good head on my shoulders. = - D
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DystopiaX
@Turtlemayor333 said:
" These guys are allowed to make money however they want, and we're allowed to have whatever opinion on it we want.  That's how it works, OP. "
And he's stating his own. He never said that you had to think like him, he only presented his argument, like you, and posted it.
Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DystopiaX said:
" @Kyreo said:
" Yes.  Most people will attack you for being logical about this whole thing though.  You may want to find shelter. "
This. 

Also, realize that this is Whiskey's one hope of earning money. If this doesn't do enough, they will be FORCED to make much worse decisions like: 
  • partnership deals (mentioned in the podcast- giving their work for others to use)
  • getting more money from game companies (setting themselves up for a kane and lynch-like scenario

Guys, face it. Buying this would be much better than the potential alternatives if this doesn't go well. 
 Also, most of the people bitching will end up buying the subscription anyway because they can't wait a freaking week. "
Ok, and if the reason that they are doing this is that they really need the cash, then I expect to be informed. Dave Snider himself said they WOULD NOT be taking away (in ANY form) anything that users currently enjoyed. If this had changed so as to become necessary for the survival of Whiskey, you better make DAMN SURE that people know it. Accountability: catch it!
Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ryax
@bizsumpark182: im being 100% serious
Ashen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ashen
@bizsumpark182 said:

"

1. Get over it! If you don't like you don't have to get it. The subs will help all of Whisky Media keep doing what they are doing without throwing a ton of ads out there or becoming IGN, Gamespot, etc.
  2. No amount of hate you spew is going to help anything.
  3. Don't attack those of us who get a sub. We will get it because we see the value in doing so. Like for me, the mobile site will be fantastic because I have me one of those shiny iPhone 4s. The HD video is another cool thing.
"
1. Straight up, I'm been thinking about it more and more, and I was eventually going to buy into the sub, but I've realised that on a weekly basis I really only care about the bombcast and tnt, qls are nice but usually 2-3 a week, and personally thats not enough content for me to justify $50 a year.
2. Not really hating, I'd say the comments are valid criticisms of what people think is a questionable decision.
3. I've haven't noticed much "attacks" coming from the anti-split side, most of the name calling has been from the "I'm paying" side.
4. I've been contemplating closing this account (I don't think thats an option right now), and just using gamefaqs as my gaming stop on the web. I will probably stop visiting if this is how it goes down.
mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mathewballard
@ch13696: Yeah, I probably shouldn't have done that looking back. That is just asking for all kinds of other trouble. And I can't buy everything I want. I saved up for that baby for a few months.
Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Turtlemayor333
@DystopiaX said:
" @Turtlemayor333 said:
" These guys are allowed to make money however they want, and we're allowed to have whatever opinion on it we want.  That's how it works, OP. "
And he's stating his own. He never said that you had to think like him, he only presented his argument, like you, and posted it. "
He clearly said, "If you don't like it go away."

Don't get into the business of defending idiots, dude.
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DystopiaX
@President_Barackbar said:
" @DystopiaX said:
" @Kyreo said:
This. 

Also, most of the people bitching will end up buying the subscription anyway because they can't wait a freaking week. "
Ok, and if the reason that they are doing this is that they really need the cash, then I expect to be informed. Dave Snider himself said they WOULD NOT be taking away (in ANY form) anything that users currently enjoyed. If this had changed so as to become necessary for the survival of Whiskey, you better make DAMN SURE that people know it. Accountability: catch it! "
Yeah, it's a PR thing. I think that they didn't want to come out and say "we need your money" but it was stated on Ryan's twitter and in the podcast that this is pretty much how they're going to make their money, with a little bit of padding from ads, but the ads are nowhere close to paying for the sites.  

What people weren't understanding is that for the past almost 3 years GB and the rest of whiskey were funded by venture capital/investments and loans, and this is how they're planning on paying it all back.
mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mathewballard
@DystopiaX said:
" @Kyreo said:
This. 

Totally right.
FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#43  Edited By FinalDasa

Agreed. Normal users see almost no difference in how they receive content. 
Just wait a week for another hour of bombcast. 
You still get 2 hours a week

mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mathewballard
@Turtlemayor333 said:
" @DystopiaX said:
" @Turtlemayor333 said:
And he's stating his own. He never said that you had to think like him, he only presented his argument, like you, and posted it. "
He clearly said, "If you don't like it go away."  Don't get into the business of defending idiots, dude. "
That was part of my opinion. That was for those people who say, "If you don't make everything free then I'm going to leave the site!!!"
Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DystopiaX:  Not trying to be a smartass here, but how do you know all this stuff exactly?
mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mathewballard
@Ashen: There have been hatful comments coming from both sides. That is why I'm trying to be more civil about my thoughts. While there is some criticism I can understand (like splitting the bombcast) there is much more that is illogical.  
jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47  Edited By jeanluc  Staff
@bizsumpark182: Hey I'm with you on the subscription thing. I personally won't be getting it (no money), but those that do more power to you. 

Its the bombcast thing that that I'm mad about. Not the having to wait part, but that fact that splitting the podcast into two parts with change the way it is created. It will have to be more organized and on topic to fit the time limit there for giving us less of them fucking off on crazy tangents. I happen to like those crazy tangents.
EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By EVHKwick
@FinalDasa said:
" Agreed. Normal users see almost no difference in how they receive content. Just wait a week for another hour of bombcast. You still get 2 hours a week "
Absolutely. I think people are having a hard time seeing GB go the XBL route. The real GB experience will be subscription-based from this point forward, but you still get a totally functional experience if you choose not to support. It makes me feel a lot better about not being able to sign-up Day 1. And for what these guys do, when I can justify the expense, I'm signing up with a smile on my face.
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DystopiaX
@bizsumpark182 said:
" @Turtlemayor333 said:
" @DystopiaX said:
" @Turtlemayor333 said:
He clearly said, "If you don't like it go away."  Don't get into the business of defending idiots, dude. "
That was part of my opinion. That was for those people who say, "If you don't make everything free then I'm going to leave the site!!!" "
Thank you. 
@President_Barackbar
said:
" @DystopiaX:  Not trying to be a smartass here, but how do you know all this stuff exactly? "
They talked about how they're using this to make money in the podcast, Ryan twittered "...We're doing what we feel is necessary to keep this gig going", He also replied to a twitter question "how was Giant bomb making money before? with the reply "We weren't. we've been living off our investment capital". 

I figure they didn't come right out and say it because it's not really the business of the users and it makes them seem needy, but this has all been stated by the staff at one point or another.
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By ch13696
@bizsumpark182 said:
" @ch13696: Yeah, I probably shouldn't have done that looking back. That is just asking for all kinds of other trouble. And I can't buy everything I want. I saved up for that baby for a few months. "
Ok then. I guess we're on the same page then.