Well said.
mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#52  Edited By mathewballard
@wasteguru: Yeah, the splitting of the bombcast is a bummer and your right it will probably have to be more organized because of that. I'm really hoping that it won't suffer, because it really is the best podcast out there.
Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@DystopiaX:  Well you have to admit sounding like a beggar is better than sounding like a dick...
mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By mathewballard

I will say that overall the people is this thread have showed the civil, non-troll side of the GB community thus far. :)

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By DystopiaX
@President_Barackbar said:
" @DystopiaX:  Well you have to admit sounding like a beggar is better than sounding like a dick... "
I don't think they expected this much of a negative reaction. Some haters, yes, but not this much. Also, how often do you hear of the financial plans of other sites? At least in the cast they're being fairly open about how they make money, unlike, say Gamespot, which used to advertise the top stories box on the front page, still have video ads, etc. Most game sites sell prime spots where more people will see news about their game. Giantbomb has been clear on how they're making money, which is infinitely preferable because I know they're not doing all kinds of shady shit.
mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By mazik765
@bizsumpark182 said:
"
  1. Get over it! If you don't like you don't have to get it. The subs will help all of Whisky Media keep doing what they are doing without throwing a ton of ads out there or becoming IGN, Gamespot, etc.
"
Say what you want about Gamespot or IGN being cash whores but I can access their videos and podcasts free of charge.
mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By mathewballard
@mazik765 said:
" @bizsumpark182 said:
"
  1. Get over it! If you don't like you don't have to get it. The subs will help all of Whisky Media keep doing what they are doing without throwing a ton of ads out there or becoming IGN, Gamespot, etc.
"
Say what you want about Gamespot or IGN being cash whores but I can access their videos and podcasts free of charge. "
More power to you. But, there stuff is not as good as what is here. And if their paid subs still have to deal with ads. At least the last time I had a GS account.
Ashen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#58  Edited By Ashen
@bizsumpark182:  Yeah, your probably more correct than I am, especially because well I'm one the "no sub atm" side, and this could lead to me picking out comments that seem offensive to my side but not the other. I don't know this entire thing has me feeling gutted, I was more expecting things along the lines of hd feeds of live shows and video content, but I guess my reaction and that of many others seems a bit over exaggerated because this was just announced like a couple hours ago. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, kinda makes me despise GB. I think I feel this way because their seems to be alternative revenue streams,and  the splitting of the bombcast kinda seems like a dick move, also $50 is harder to shallow then say $30.
sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Podcasts are free. That's the way they should stay.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#60  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator
@hack745 said:
" @FinalDasa said:
" Agreed. Normal users see almost no difference in how they receive content. Just wait a week for another hour of bombcast. You still get 2 hours a week "
Absolutely. I think people are having a hard time seeing GB go the XBL route. The real GB experience will be subscription-based from this point forward, but you still get a totally functional experience if you choose not to support. It makes me feel a lot better about not being able to sign-up Day 1. And for what these guys do, when I can justify the expense, I'm signing up with a smile on my face. "

I think both the subscription experience and non-subscription experience will essentially be the same.  
But totally agree that it feels good to give back to a website and company that has given us so much free entertainment.
mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By mathewballard
@sodiumCyclops: While splitting the bombcast is a bummer that isn't what it is all about.
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By DystopiaX
@mazik765 said:
" @bizsumpark182 said:
"
"
Say what you want about Gamespot or IGN being cash whores but I can access their videos and podcasts free of charge. "
An hour of the bombcast is better than a month's worth of their videos and whatever podcast they do.
DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#63  Edited By DoctorWelch

I would rather have 1000000000000000000000000 ads than pay $4.95 a month for nothing. The problem is I want to give these guys money and support them, but not when they do stupid shit like this especially when they take shit away that was already free.

azhang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By azhang

I just went on and I have no idea on what the brouhaha is about the subscription and the podcast? GB has bills to pay, so stop hating as several users has said in previous posts.

mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By mathewballard
@Ashen: And I can totally understand that point of view. I just can't those that are going all GRAW BAH RAWR!!! about the whole thing. I can tell you right now that if I couldn't afford to get a sub I would be upset as well. Both sides are a bit jaded by what they can and can't do.
mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By mathewballard
@DoctorWelch: They didn't take anything free away, hell they came up with new stuff for subscribers.
azhang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By azhang

It is really not that difficult to wait for the second half of the podcast, but then again I rather interact with the community of GB, so waiting is no big issue.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Barrock
DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By DoctorWelch
@bizsumpark182 said:

" @DoctorWelch: They didn't take anything free away, hell they came up with new stuff for subscribers. "  

Um...I'll just post what I posted somewhere else. 

Honestly, this is the stupidest thing they could have possibly done. Everyone just needs to go back to the bombcasts where they talk about the paid service for the PS3 online, and apply it as if they were talking about their own service. This is the most hypocritical bullshit move they could have pulled with this subscription service. You might as well forget that you can listen to it a week later because no one is going to care. Everything they will have talked about will be old news even if they do try to fit stuff into the first hour a vital piece of the puzzle is going to be missing. Here is an idea MAKE A SECOND PODCAST. Honestly, you make a second podcast and this is still sorta offensive, but not nearly so. I'm not saying the same 4 people have to do another podcast the exact same length, I'm saying make a second one with Drew and Dave and someone else or something. Maybe make it shorter and use it as a "little something extra feature" where they dont talk about anything super critical except for maybe Whiskey Media specific things. Who knows, I can tell you that may not be the best idea but it is most definitely 1000000 times better than splitting up the podcast. 

Now onto my second part of this thing I guess I can now call a rant. $50 A YEAR!?!? Now dont get me wrong, I am all for supporting these guys and helping them keep up their crazy shenanigans, but this is just ridiculous. So I am paying as much as I do for Xbox Live (soon to be $60 which is arguably ridiculous in and of itself, but that is a completely different subject for another time) on a yearly basis for what? Yeah you guys do some cool unique things but what service are you providing me that is worth $50 a year especially when you are cutting things that we already have for free? Now consider this, what if I cant afford to pay you the $50 straight up, what if its better for me to go with the monthly route, then what the fuck am I getting? HD video, access to a live friday thing what's content hasnt even been determined, and a chunk of a podcast I should already have for free? I have Netflix for the same exact price and I am getting a service I would consider worth hundreds of times more worth it than that. The point is that I am still spending my $4.95 a month somewhere and it better be something entirely worth it. Even so, I may have been happy to give these guys some money even if it wasnt exactly worth it, as long as I felt they were putting something a little more into it as well as not taking things away, but not now.

Now dont get me wrong, I love what you guys do and I love the Whiskey Media sites, but this is a big mistake. As of a few hours ago I was happy to give you guys a small chunk of cash, but now, not so much. I feel like this whole thing could have gone one of two ways. The first way, they took nothing away and gave the site and community some great new stuff at a decent price that didnt feel like a rip off. The second way, they do what they are doing now and ending up creating a terrible mess. Again, I want to say I love the work everyone at GB and the Whiskey Media sites puts into making these sites fun and unique, but this right here is one of the worst things they could have done.    
EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#70  Edited By EVHKwick
@Barrock said:
" @LlamaNL If we get 5,000 subscribers by 10amPST on 9/10, the Bombcast goes free for everyone. Forever. Deal?     
http://twitter.com/whiskeymedia "
Problem solved?
Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Damien

Honestly, I'd rather have ads.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Andorski

If they cut the "new releases" section of the Bombcast, they can definitely meet the 1 hour limit.  Aren't people tired of the Wiiware music by now?

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Barrock
@Damien said:
" Honestly, I'd rather have ads. "
This has been explained. It won't work.
mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By mathewballard
@DoctorWelch: If you don't see the value then you don't have to get it. No one is forcing you to.
DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By DoctorWelch
@bizsumpark182: Never said anyone is. I already said I want to support these guys but not in their stupid decisions, and even if I do support them I dont want to do it simply out of charity.
mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By mazik765
@DystopiaX said:
" @mazik765 said:
" @bizsumpark182 said:
"
"
An hour of the bombcast is better than a month's worth of their videos and whatever podcast they do. "
While I totally agree, are the GiantBomb guys of the idea that they are so good that they can justify charging for a service that every other website I've ever seen offers for free? Are they now thinking 'hey so maybe people like this we can sucker them into paying for our podcast now!'? Here I thought I was enjoying content produced by people who weren't self-absorbed douche bags.
mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By mathewballard
@DoctorWelch: If you support them with a sub your not doing so out of charity, you doing so out of love for what they do and the content they create. Your doing so to help keep things going the way they are.
mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By mathewballard
@mazik765: It isn't just about Giantbomb it is about ALL of Whisky Media.
Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Damien
@Barrock said:
" @Damien said:
" Honestly, I'd rather have ads. "
This has been explained. It won't work. "
Why not?  I'm more inclined to believe that it's better than splitting up the Bombcast.
mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By mazik765
@bizsumpark182:  Ok so replace 'GiantBomb' with 'Whiskey Media', my point still stands.
JoRoNimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#81  Edited By JoRoNimo
@mazik765: What have you paid for the site as it is, to date? Nothing. 

And you don't like this. That's fine. You still pay nothing. You don't lose anything in that process. 

I've got $50 to burn, and a website I totally dig kind of needs it. The way I figure, that's one Friday night I don't hit the bar with my friends - hey, maybe I'll just spend that night checking out the live Friday feature thing.
DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By DoctorWelch
@bizsumpark182: Yeah you're exactly right, and the direction they are going in is way worse than getting a billion more ads which is why I am not subscribing.
Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Damien
@President_Barackbar said:
" Ok, and if the reason that they are doing this is that they really need the cash, then I expect to be informed. Dave Snider himself said they WOULD NOT be taking away (in ANY form) anything that users currently enjoyed. If this had changed so as to become necessary for the survival of Whiskey, you better make DAMN SURE that people know it. Accountability: catch it! "
This is what I was thinking.  They did a pretty good job on communication throughout the whole process, so I fail to see how they could've not mentioned needing funds to continue operations, if this is the case.
mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By mathewballard
@DoctorWelch: Personally I would rather not see a ton of ads all over the website, all up in the videos, etc.
mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By mathewballard
@Damien: Most never want to come out and say, "We need money please!" Besides that, they have dropped hints in the past.
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Turambar
@bizsumpark182:   I'm under the impression a site that apparently needs the money to stay afloat should try to aim for as much revenue as they can.  When a move makes many people who were originally willing to give you money far less willing to, that's a poor financial move.
Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Damien
@bizsumpark182 said:
" @Damien: Most never want to come out and say, "We need money please!" Besides that, they have dropped hints in the past. "
Websites do it all the time.  And I'd also fully guarentee that a "Save GB fund' would've generated more goodwill and probably revenue that this current idea.  And can you please point out where they have previously hinted that either WM or GB is in financial trouble.  Any links or timestamps?  I can't recall any such moments off the top of my head.
mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By mathewballard
@Turambar: Those people who aren't willing to give their money now wouldn't be willing to give their money in any situation. 
mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By mathewballard
@Damien said:
" @bizsumpark182 said:
" @Damien: Most never want to come out and say, "We need money please!" Besides that, they have dropped hints in the past. "
Websites do it all the time.  And I'd also fully guarentee that a "Save GB fund' would've generated more goodwill and probably revenue that this current idea.  And can you please point out where they have previously hinted that either WM or GB is in financial trouble.  Any links or timestamps?  I can't recall any such moments off the top of my head. "
There have been a couple times during the bombcast in the past. And no I can't give you a certain time. Too much stuff has happend in my life to be able to point out a certain time or episode for one or two lines.
Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Damien
@bizsumpark182 said:
" @Damien said:
" @bizsumpark182 said:
Websites do it all the time.  And I'd also fully guarentee that a "Save GB fund' would've generated more goodwill and probably revenue that this current idea.  And can you please point out where they have previously hinted that either WM or GB is in financial trouble.  Any links or timestamps?  I can't recall any such moments off the top of my head. "
There have been a couple times during the bombcast in the past. And no I can't give you a certain time. Too much stuff has happend in my life to be able to point out a certain time or episode for one or two lines. "
Well how about a rough paraphrasing of what they said?  I've listened to all the bombcasts and I'm literally drawing blanks trying to figure out when and where they mentioned money problems.  You would think that would've made a splash on the forums.
Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Brians
@bizsumpark182:  I just hope enough reasonable people are out there. If not I will be fine as I plan on subscribing. If others don't subscribe it will be their loss. 
Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#92  Edited By Gerhabio

What can I say? It's hard ou' the'a fo' a playuh.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By cooljammer00
@G3RHRT said:
" What can I say? It's hard ou' the'a fo' a playuh. "
They should call their rich friend the Sauce Pan Man for a loan.
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Turambar
@bizsumpark182 said:
" @Turambar: Those people who aren't willing to give their money now wouldn't be willing to give their money in any situation.  "
I was completely willing to give them my money until this situation popped up.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#95  Edited By CL60
@Turambar said:
" @bizsumpark182 said:
" @Turambar: Those people who aren't willing to give their money now wouldn't be willing to give their money in any situation.  "
I was completely willing to give them my money until this situation popped up. "
Me too. I was still on the fence, but I was probably going to subscribe for a few months. 
AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#96  Edited By AV_Gamer

I have a question... 

Why do you care? 

Why not let the people who don't like the idea give their opinions about it.

If they want to make their threads giving their opinions then so what? 

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#97  Edited By hermes
@Turambar said:
" @bizsumpark182 said:
I was completely willing to give them my money until this situation popped up. "

Me too. I had no problem with the idea of making a donation to a site I enjoy, or to support the community... This move, though, makes me doubt its goodwill.
macot79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By macot79

I just visited the site for the first time for a couple of days and can someone tell me what is going on?

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#99  Edited By irishjohn
@bizsumpark182:  I'm not upset at all with people who decide to subscribe (I am heavily considering doing so myself, at least for a month to check it out) but please do not take this tone that implies that by being a subscriber you are better than the rest of us. I will still feel that way if I do subscribe.

Also, I like the compromise that has just been put out there about leaving the Bombcast alone if they get 5,000 subscribers by tomorrow. I think it's a nice good will move, and it certainly encourages me to donate five bucks for a month, and after that who says I won't go for the yearly sub?

I think coming out and attacking people for getting subs is lame but so is being superior about choosing how to spend your money.
LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#100  Edited By LackingSaint
@macot79 said:
" I just visited the site for the first time for a couple of days and can someone tell me what is going on? "
GiantBomb just introduced a subscription that gives you a usermedal, HD video, exclusive friday show, t-shirt and no ads, the controversy being GiantBomb is also lowering it's podcast to the 1hour average, with the 2nd hour being a subscriber bonus (Although normal bombers get the 2nd hour a week later).