Top 10 of the last 10 (years).

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Chummy8

I was looking at my all time top 10 list recently and I feel that my list still stands despite it being a few years old. Then I thought that aside from Crusader Kings 2, I don't have any "modern" games on the list. And, if I was to make a list of my top 10 of the last 10 years what it would look like. So, I made a list .

Crusader Kings 2

Total War: Warhammer 2

Metal Gear Solid 4

Skyrim

Hitman

Shadowrun: Hong Kong

Dark Souls

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Witcher 3

Ghost Recon: Wildlands

We don't need any particular order to stress us out, but what are your favorite games since 2008?

Superharman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By Superharman

Actually put a fair amount of thought into this as we're coming up on the end of the decade. Best games since Giant Bomb has been a website though makes it so I have to load in another 2 years worth of games... but here's what I came up with.

Dark Souls

Nier Automata

Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Bloodborne

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Mass Effect 2

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Undertale

Braid

Dragon Age Origins

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#3  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

2018 releases feel to recent to really judge in comparison to that, so I won't have any of them on here:

1. Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath (if we count expansions, the original game was a 2007 release though)
  2. Battlefield 3 (while it has numerous problems, like that ridiculous idea to force you to launch the game from a browser, a bad progression system and with some BF2 features removed like the commander mode - which returned in BF4 - and the multiplayer campaign progression that returned in BF1 and BF5 as 'Grand Operations', I think it's the best the series has been at since they shifted to the unlock based model)
  3. Evochron Legacy (or the predecessor Evochron Mercenary, which I've spent more time with since its 2010 release, but Legacy is an improvement on every level)
  4. Spelunky
  5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  6. Reprisal Universe (it's basically a clone of the original Populous, but that was a great game, and none of the changes to the formula any other god games have done - especially not Godus - have actually been improvements)
  7. Demon's Souls
  8. Dragon's Dogma
  9. Red Faction Guerrilla
  10. Star Trek Online (while it's not in a great state these days, I got three solid years of enjoyment out of it, so I think it deserves a spot for what it was at the time)
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

1. Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (2014)
  2. Ghost Trick (2010)
  3. SOMA (2015)
  4. Talos Principle (2014)
  5. Portal 2 (2011)
  6. BioShock Infinite (2013)
  7. Antichamber (2013)
  8. Cryostasis (2009)
  9. Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (2009)
  10. Spelunky (2012)

Hm, looking over the list, I guess nothing from the last three years has really astonished me...

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By FacelessVixen
  1. Persona 4 Golden: I'm pretty much keeping my Vita because of this game.
  2. Fallout 4: I really like weapon customization and base building.
  3. Senran Kagura: Estival Versus: Ikkitousen.
  4. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: Enables my power fantasies of being an OP beast mage by letting me launch fireballs at the cost of no MP.
  5. Dark Souls 1: I got gud and killed every boss. ...eventually.
  6. Dragon's Dogma: A Skyrim alternative that I really latched onto.
  7. Deus Ex: Human Revolution: The 'day of sex' hype was pretty real and this game delivered.
  8. Saints Row: The Third: I pretty much like Saints Row more than GTA at this point.
  9. DOOM: \m/
  10. Pokemon HeartGold: Probably my favorite Pokemon game of all time since I played a lot of Gen 2 back in the day and I always preferred Ho-Oh to Lugia. Also, I recently bought a used copy on ebay for $60 after having to sell my original copy when money was tight a few years ago. Totally worth it

Honorable mentions go to Borderlands 1, Bayonetta 1, Pokemon Ultra Sun, and Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

1. Dark Souls
  2. Dota 2
  3. Left 4 Dead 2
  4. Fallout: New Vegas
  5. DOOM
  6. StarCraft 2
  7. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
  8. Persona 5
  9. Factorio
  10. Splatoon 2
jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By jewunit

Batman Arkham Asylum

Super Street Fighter IV

Persona 5

Ghost Trick

Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure

E.X. Troopers

Botanicula

Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes

Mega Man 9

King of Fighters XIII

The prevailing theme on this list is that I like colorful, cartoony graphics and fighting and puzzle games.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man how could I forget about Nier and DOOM? I might need to rethink my list.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Redhotchilimist

Like this I suppose.

No Caption Provided

I made this one for some other topic where people asked for a top 10 and just replaced a couple. I've got a hard time putting games high on my list when I haven't played them in years, and I don't replay old titles much, so my "favorites" list is always gonna be newer games. I imagine some people turning up their nose at seeing SFV on here over SF3 or 4 or whatever, but it's the SF game I've been playing most for the past three years.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playtime is essential I think to determining a spot on a favorites list. Crusader Kings 2 isn't the greatest game in the last 10 years, but I still put 900 hours into it anyway so it got a spot on my list.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Trying to come up with a list has made me realise how many of the "you must play this" games I've missed due to not having the platform it's on or being wrapped up in something else at the time and never getting back to it. Maybe not the best games but certainly the ones I got hooked into the most. More a time sink list then...

Civilization Revolution

Batman Arkham Asylum

Skate 3

Fallout New Vegas

Diablo 3

XCOM Enemy Unknown

Rayman Legends

HITMAN

Rocket League

Kerbal Space Program

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no way in hell i can make a list like this, i have too many favourite games of all time which are more than 10 years old.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. The Witness

2. The Witcher 3

3. Red Dead Redemption 2

4. FFXIV

5. Persona 4 Golden

6. Hotline Miami

7. Dragon Quest XI

8. Zelda BOTW

9. Nier Automata

10. Furi

Bonbonetti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 1

As long as I don't have to list them in order ... :

Forza 3

Gran Turismo 6

Race Room Racing Experience

SBK-X: Superbike World Championship

Test Drive Unlimited 2

Euro Truck Simulator 2

F1 2018

Nascar Heat 3

Race Pro

Stock Car Extreme or Valentino Rossi: The Game/MotoGP 16

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By wollywoo

In rough chronological order, my ten favorite games released between Jan 1, 2009 and Dec 31, 2018. (Strikethroughs are games that were apparently released before the ten year cutoff.) (How am I so old.)

Mario Galaxy

Fallout 3

Braid

StarCraft II

Super Meat Boy

Portal 2

Night in the Woods

Breath of the Wild

Mario Odyssey

Into the Breach

God of War

Smash Ultimate

If there's a big gap in my favorite games between 2010 and 2017, that's probably grad school. If there's a sudden leap after 2017, that's the Switch.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first few on my list I can easily and definitively list in order. The bottom of the list I can't.

1. Overwatch

2. The Last of Us

3. The Witcher 3

4. Dark Souls

5. Skyrim

6. Mario Galaxy 2

7. Bastion

8. Rocket League

9. Breath of The Wild

10. Uncharted 4

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By big_denim

Hmm...I could probably change this around 100 more times over the next hour...but I'm gonna give up and stick with this xD

1. Witcher 3
  2. Divinity Original Sin 2
  3. Witcher 2
  4. Bloodborne
  5. God of War
  6. The Last of Us
  7. Portal 2
  8. Overwatch
  9. Dishonored
  10. Metro 2033

EDIT: Removed Bioshock. Looks like that came out in 2007. Man, time flies. :|

kupon3ss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Dota 2
  2. Monster Hunter World
  3. Total War Warhammer II
  4. Divinity Original Sin 2
  5. Witcher 3
  6. Starcraft II
  7. Assassin's Creed IV
  8. Skyrim
  9. Nier Automata
  10. Muramasa: Demon Blade

Honorable Mention: Trails in the Sky SC - would definitely be top 10 if I didn't play it back in 2007 (2015 Release in English)

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BRich

1. Destiny (1 or 2 after the major expansions)

2. Mass Effect

2. League of Legends

3. Red Dead Redemption

4. Hearthstone

5. Braid (I guess this passed 10 years last month.. holy shit)

So.. Forza Horizon or Fez. Damnit!

6. The Witness

7. FTL

8. Binding of Isaac

9. Telltales Walking Dead

10. Xcom

Just off the top of the head, first ones to come to mind.

Added mass effect at #2 and didn’t edit.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Huh. This is a tough one. I'm sure I'll edit this a billion times.

1) Skyrim
2) Borderlands 2
3) Forza 4
4) Fallout New Vegas
5) Witcher 3
6) Tales from the Borderlands
7) Minecraft
8) Civilization 5
9) Super Mario Galaxy
10) Saints Row 3

I was surprised Fable 2 and Halo 3 were older than a decade. Weird to think that much time has passed. Definitely a lot of games on here could be shuffled around to different spots depending on my mood but I'm pretty satisfied with the list overall, save that I think Life is Strange: Before the Storm belongs on there somewhere at the tail end. I can't figure out what I'd cut for it, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-6427167031e01
deactivated-6427167031e01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 49

1. Mass Effect 2

2. Batman Arkham Asylum

3. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

4. XCOM Enemy Unknown

5. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

6. Banjoe Kazooie Nuts and Bolts

7. Portal 2

8. Tomb Raider

9. Saints Row The Third

10. Final Fantasy XV

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_Greg

This is such a hard list to build. I'm going with how much I played/enjoyed the game at the time and not how I feel about playing it today.

1. Skyrim

2. Metal Gear Solid V

3. Deus Ex Human Revolution

4. Witcher 3

5. Max Payne 3

6. GTAV

7. Far Cry 3

8. Destiny & Destiny 2 (have to lump these together)

9. Battlefield 3

10. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2

Bonus game. Red Dead 2 Redemption 2. I haven't enjoyed this game as much as the others on the list, I just feel it needs to be mentioned because it's a masterpiece.

lui5468

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't normally do GOTY lists, but this one seems easier:

1. Portal 2

2. CS:GO

3. Portal

4. Skyrim

5. Rocket League

6. GTA V

7. Terraria

8. Doom

9. Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag

10. Destiny 2

Harmpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Harmpwn

1. Life is Strange

2. Kentucky Route Zero

3. What Remains of Edith Finch

4. Witcher 3

5. Hotline Miami

6. Night in the Woods

7. DOOM

8. Oxenfreee

9. Portal 2

10. Starcraft 2

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By TobbRobb

Hmm, I don't really have time to dig into this now, but I kinda just want to brainstorm some good candidates that come to mind.

Bayonetta, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Witcher 3, DOOM, Nioh, Journey, Nier: Automata, Monster Hunter World, Starcraft 2, Leagueolegends, Persona 5, Disgaea 4, Fire Emblem Awakening, Devil May Cry 4:SE, Fallout New Vegas, Divinity: Original Sin 2, Dragon's Dogma, Stanley Parable, Opus Magnum, Ultra Street Fighter 4, Under Night ibexelatest....

Damn getting this down to 10 could be hard. But my list in here somewhere.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

This is fun for me to think about since I don't play that many games in a given year, it made me have to go back and look at each year to even remember what came out.

• Street Fighter IV - Arcade Edition: I don't really get to have fun with fighting games that often, but for one brief shining moment in the early 2010s I was hanging with a couple of guys and a gal pretty often and we all got super into SFIV at the exact same time. Being that I never really get to have couch competitive sessions like the ones we had as an adult, it's a super nostalgic and unique time in my post-school gaming life. Doesn't hurt that SFIV: AE was an awesome fighter.
  • NBA 2K11: The last NBA 2K game that was unimpeachable, this was the game that introduced classic teams and had the Jordan Challenge mode. Both features would be expanded on in future titles one way or another, but 2K had stellar online gameplay at this point still and the Franchise mode hadn't reached the current levels of feature and Virtual Currency bloat that make it a real slog today.
  • Red Dead Redemption: I'd just say all the words anybody who'd list this game has ever said about it, so remember what those words are and slot them in here.
  • Mass Effect 2: Same.
  • The Last of Us: Forever altered the expectations of AAA storytelling; executed so well, my most recent girlfriend who'd never been a gamer watched me do a full run of it and the DLC and would bring it up in casual conversation between sessions.
  • Bloodborne: I haven't even beaten this game, but as someone who is generally terrible at games that ask for specific twitch skills, I loved that the only reason I haven't beaten this game was because I put it down to play others. I've watched three styles of Let's Plays of this game, something I haven't done for anything else, and I'm not sure there's an example of game / lore design I admire more.
  • God of War: Like Bloodborne, this game just made me feel like I was good at it. I played this immediately afterward and found it too challenging on Hard to start with, but after a few hours I found the same reward center loop as I had from Bloodborne with a slightly more forgiving structure to help me plow through to the end.
  • DOOM: I really liked Bioshock Infinite, and I had my fun with Titanfall 2, but FPS have always been a struggle genre for me. I just prefer the third person perspective and cinema-style cutscenes rather than the (usually) silent protagonist, always FPS storytelling of...well, FPS, but DOOM was pure ecstasy from the word go. I had to play it in thirty minute chunks but man was it a thrill.
  • Journey: Short, abstract, beautiful. Despite only implied narrative, I was weeping during the final sequences.
  • Until Dawn: Normally, any number of the honorable mentions below would take this slot, but the more I think about it, the time I played this with my ex was just such a wonderful experience. Her as the men, me as the women, her constantly fumbling with the controls and critiquing my interpretations of what a woman would do. It was a gameplay experience unlike any I'd had before or since, and a truly unique entry in the adventure game space for its inventive use of genre and variability.

Honorable mentions: Fight Night Champion (boxing seems perfect for a single player experience; turning the final fights into Punch-Out style challenges is the main knock against it), LA Noire (this game disappointed me mightily, but I still want a new LA Noire every year another one isn't released), Portal 2 (I'm not smart enough for this game, but I appreciated that it could convince me I was from time to time), Batman: Arkham City (Batman doing Batman Things!),

The Walking Dead (I don't even like the rest of this franchise, but that first season was such a ride), Grand Theft Auto V (I obsessed over this game when it came out; shame its warts are so obvious in hindsight - same for GTA IV), Bioshock Infinite (the only reason this didn't make the list is that DOOM did), DmC: Devil May Cry (games should have the leeway to be this batshit stupid more often; as someone who finds mainline DMC too challenging, this was just right for me),

The Witcher 3 (a painful third act and combat I preferred to be overpowered than learn the nuances of hold it back), The Phantom Pain (maybe the best game of these past ten years, but man, Konami, why...), Uncharted 4 (The Last of Us and a story that's probably a handful of hours too long keep this out), Ratchet & Clank (has me jonesing for a sale on the Spyro games and constantly contemplating biting on the Jak series when its on sale), Horizon: Zero Dawn (slightly overlong with a story that doesn't fully stick the landing, but man what fun!), Wolfenstein II: New Colossus (DOOM trumps it, and overly confusing level design ensures it couldn't rate), Spider-Man (if only the side activities had been better than serviceable, this had every chance to not just rate but be my personal favorite).