Video Game Trailers The Hyped You Up The Most

pauljeremiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 1

Just a question to the group, what trailers, teaser trailers or live playthrough at an event (E3 for example) over the past few years got you the most hyped for a game? Regardless of how the end product turned out.

Some of my favourites:

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Well, I can't think of anything recent.

But the thing that got me hyped for a game the most was a Half-Life 2 live gameplay demonstration (and I don't remember where it was shown at all) where at some point I remember the dude throwing a mattress in a body of water, then he grabbed a ragdoll and place it on top of said mattress and it all behaved as you'd expect, the mattress bobbed up and down also warping in shape because of the weight on it, and one of the feet of the ragdoll was hanging on one side in contact with the water and it just dragged behind and created lil wakes on the water while the mattress slowly floated away.

That blew my mind in ways I didn't even deem possible, keep in mind that such realistic physics interactions in games was unheard of at that point.

But yeah that was the most hyped for a game I ever was.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love video game trailers. I know they're almost never reflective of the final product but they're fun. Here are some of my favorites off the top of my head

You can never go wrong with a Halo trailer, they're pretty much all fantastic but the one that got me the most hyped is the one for Halo 3. ODST's trailer was also pretty amazing and my favorite of their live action ones.

Deus Ex Human Revolution and Deus Ex Mankind Divided both had amazing trailers.

Elder Scrolls has been one of my favorite franchises since Morrowind but I was not prepared for how amazing Skyrim looked.

I thought Mario Odyssey was a fairly mediocre game but God damn the trailer they showed at E3 last year was amazing.

SWTOR also had some amazing trailers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

I was so ready to play as a revolutionary assassin after seeing this trailer. Instead I ended up looking at inside out faces and shape shifting npc's.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cikame
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It needs to be amazing, but believable.

Halo 2’s campaign gameplay reveal was amazing, even if it really didn’t quite come together like that.

Killzone 2’s gameplay reveal was clearly CG, and looked cool, but did nothing for me as it obviously wasn’t gameplay.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By MocBucket62

Here's a few that got me pumped up: That Mario Odyssey E3 trailer SOLD ME in getting it and a Switch:

Loading Video...

While I don't have as strong of feelings now for TW: Rome 2 than I do for Rome I, the Hannibal trailer got me even more excited for its release:

Loading Video...

On a much smaller scale, the lastest gameplay trailer for Freedom Planet 2 looks fantastic. I hope FP2 comes out this year since I'm hearing its coming out in 2019:

Loading Video...

jgittins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

When Cortana says "I am your shield. I am your sword" and the music swells still makes my hair stand on end. I was hyped at the idea of a next gen Halo anyway, but they did a really good job with that reveal trailer.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By TheHT

Hmm, the ones that hyped me up the most, let's see (unordered)...

Some overlap with my favourite trailers. And yeah, I'm that asshole who enjoys a great CG trailer.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

MGS4 trailer where Snake puts the gun in his mouth. All the MGSV trailers.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By OMGFather

@mems1224 said:

SWTOR also had some amazing trailers

Good shout. they're up there for me. Even though you obviously knew the game would look nor play nothing like that, they were still incredibly well made.

The GTA San Andreas trailer was fantastic. I remember seeing it as it came on TV randomly and just going crazy.

Loading Video...

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Loading Video...

While Street Fighter x Tekken ended being a bit of a let-down, this trailer marked the arrival of Poison and the return of Hugo. The music is kind of goofy, but it works well within the trailer. It's a ton of fun and puts a smile on my face whenever I watch it.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Onemanarmyy

First Halo Trailer & Starcraft Ghost come to mind. Also the Dungeon Keeper 3 teaser in Dungeon Keeper 2.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By BoOzak

@cheetoman said:

MGS4 trailer where Snake puts the gun in his mouth. All the MGSV trailers.

I've become quite jaded over the years when it comes to trailers but Kojima is great at establishing tone even if what's in the trailers are deliberately misleading.

@theht said:

Hmm, the ones that hyped me up the most, let's see (unordered)...

Some overlap with my favourite trailers. And yeah, I'm that asshole who enjoys a great CG trailer.

Sure CG trailers dont tell you much about how a games going to play but they're good at selling you on a concept. That Deus Ex: HR trailer got me to go back and play the first two games. (it was probably because it was giving off very Ghost in the Shell / Blade Runner vibes) At least with CG trailers you know you're not being lied to.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Over the last few years? Not much

Go back further i would say the trailer for metal gear solid 4 was the last one that made me super hype.

HeelBill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I was super hyped for the Witcher 3 and successfully avoided most coverage/trailers on it. If I had seen some of those trailers for it beforehand, I would have probably exploded.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#19 chaser324  Moderator
Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ezekiel

MGS3. Back when Kojima wasn't a pretentious asshole and didn't tease us with years worth of boring cutscene trailers. He showed off the gameplay right at the start of the game's marketing campaign, and it was fun to watch. Had gameplay unlike any I had seen before.

Loading Video...

Toastburner_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

Loading Video...

You don't understand. The entire trailer could have been the piano that plays from 0:20 to 0:31 on a black screen, and I would have been on board.

And while I didn't love the end product, I will maintain that The Division announcement trailer is a really, really, really good trailer.

Loading Video...

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JJBSterling
Loading Video...

This will always be my answer. It may be a little dated, but even now it gets me excited when watching it, and that's not even close to how excited I was in the lead-up to its release.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

It’s hard to top that Halo 3 trailer, but AC: Revelations, Dead Island 2, GTA III’s TV spots, and... all right, yeah, GTA V’s trailers all did a great job of getting me excited.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

It's recent, but I still think Breath of the Wild had the greatest trailer of all time

Loading Video...

I've probably watched thousands of trailers of the years, but one is just about perfect

RPJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A couple of favorites...

The entire "Fault Line" vertical slice of BF3 was great, but especially the short tease at the end establishing the premise, with that dirty, distorted version of the theme building while they intercut all the expensive-looking graphics. Still gets me:

Loading Video...

The teaser for DOOM 2016 is pretty damned effective for being pre-rendered; the later trailers for DOOM are also great (with their seamless match cuts between various combat set pieces), but the first tease, coupled with rumors about what that game would eventually be, lit me up:

Loading Video...

And, as previously mentioned, Breath of the Wild. What a trailer.

AzureGale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AzureGale
TheKramer89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel said:

MGS3. Back when Kojima wasn't a pretentious asshole and didn't tease us with years worth of boring cutscene trailers. He showed off the gameplay right at the start of the game's marketing campaign, and it was fun to watch. Had gameplay unlike any I had seen before.

Loading Video...

I easily watched this trailer 300 times in high school. I was pretty cool...

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The initial Bloodborne trailer (which is also the title screen cinematic). Still sends chills up my spine.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

StarCraft 2 reveal trailer bar none. "Hell, it's about time."

Loading Video...

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Halo 3, ODST, and Reach campaigns. 100%

HalidYusein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Crysis 1 Trailer has always been a great one. More than 10 years ago it promised us the future. Did we get it? Eeeee, eh?

Loading Video...

Dishonored 1 also had a nice first trailer. Everybody was like this is impossible to match, but at the end the game turned out to meed a lot of expectations.

Loading Video...

This first GTAV trailer was amazing at the time!

Loading Video...

DICE makes great trailers for Battlefield, but this one is soo fucking good!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Bethesda released these short teaser trailers every day the week before the release of Oblivion. They were super effective at hyping me up for the PC version.

Loading Video...

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Rockstar's "Explainer" videos always get me really excited. They aren't really designed to get your fist pumping but that calm listing of features always makes me want to play the game so badly.

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#34  Edited By willin
Loading Video...

I've probably seen this reveal of Persona 5's gameplay at least 100 times.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1
deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever the extended MGS4 one was, where the feet of the giant mechs stomped over the sewer hole Snake was hiding under, and where they first introduced the little Otacon robot.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@bdead: I'm always curious how often this happened to people? I had my fair share of problems with Unity, but none of it was related to to graphical glitches. Mostly it was poor performance that got in the way of the gameplay.

kuku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kuku

The only one I can remember is this one for Prince of Persia. Plus I still think Kojima makes better trailers than games.

Loading Video...