Videogame Date Suggestions

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#1  Edited By alistercat

Edit: Date over, thank you for all the help! It was a success because of you and you and you and you.

So I have a 'videogame date' coming up. I stole the idea from a friend, without asking her on the substance. I'm guessing an evening of co-op focused games?

Anyway, I didn't think this through too well before arranging it and now I need suggestions for games that might be fun and good for a 'date'. I have almost all consoles pre-dating the current generation as well as a gaming PC hooked up to a TV. She plays mostly traditional single player games, and I know she loves Fallout. Currently playing LA Noire.

The only idea I have right now is Divekick. I don't know how I feel about having Dave Lang along on my date.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

New Super Mario Bros. maybe? Really depends what games you and your date are into I guess.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Tokimeki Memorial.

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Please don't refer to it as a "videogame date", it is cringe-worthy.

Get MAME or something and play some windjammers, just be sure to make sure everything is working as setting it up the first time can be a bit of a hassle. You should probably find a game that is not competitive to play also.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mike
Somebody had to do it.
Somebody had to do it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dungeon Explorer.

If not that: Gauntlet.

Coop Spelunky.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By alistercat

@expensiveham said:

Get MAME or something and play some windjammers, just be sure to make sure everything is working as setting it up the first time can be a bit of a hassle. You should probably find a game that is not competitive to play also.

She posed it that way along with me, so I don't have a problem calling it what it is. A date centred around videogames. We were going to do drinks but she liked this idea. Plus she seems as much in to games as I am.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: Ha, I knew it. Though in my defence, I don't need girl advice. I just need some game or activity suggestions.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

come on guys, we all know the only proper answer is We Dare.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@alistercat: Aint' no party like the Mario Party.

If you have a Nintendo Wii, it has some solid local multiplayer good times. Wario Ware, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Fortune Street, Wii Sports etc etc

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By alistercat

@slag said:

If you have a Nintendo Wii, it has some solid local multiplayer good times. Wario Ware, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Fortune Street, Wii Sports etc etc

I have a WiiU. Yes, I realise it's weird having a WiiU but never a Wii. All I need is some wii-motes though, right?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@slag said:

I have a WiiU. Yes, I realise it's weird having a WiiU but never a Wii. All I need is some wii-motes though, right?

I believe so. Still if you need buy wii remotes and the games you might want to consider something else. That could be 100 bucks or so to get all that (2 remotes plus a game or two).

You have any party games like You Don't Know Jack on other systems?

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Kinect games for sure. Or something neither of you have played before, but is supposed to be good co-op. Trine 2 is great for that if you haven't tried it

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes! Kinect games.

Picture this; you're both playing Wipeout for Kinect together. You accidentally fall on top of each other onto the floor due to the strenuous activity and that causes you both to look into each other eyes, with a smile. Then, you make your move! And, then the Kinect, too, makes it's own move. By sending the data of you two having sex to the NSA. Enjoy your date.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zacagawea: @shadow: I don't think she likes Kinect at all. I'm thinking more traditional games.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe you should find a few games you both like and try that? No, that'll never work, it's too complex and intricate...

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Recently my wife and I have been revisiting the SNES with Mortal Kombat II, Mario Kart and Contra 3: Alien Wars.

we also really have enjoyed the Professor Layton games. Seeing who cannot solve the puzzles first.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Anything that won't frustrate you, or her, if one of you don't immediately grasp the concept or game play of the video game. Other than that, it all depends on your/her taste.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sooty

Rapelay

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Tokimeki Memorial.

No joke, playing dating sims together sounds like a fun dating activity.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Video_Game_King

@audiobusting:

Is it cheating if the game contains hentai scenes?

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:

Rapelay

God dammit! You beat me to it....

I'll go one step down and say Gal Gun!

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Seikenfreak

I'd honestly be more interested in watching her play something or maybe I've got a game she's always been curious about and would want me to show her.

I guess I am thinking of it more intimately and less ha ha party fun yay stuff.

Maybe shes got a game she loves and you can sit back and ask her questions about it (dating advice always seems to suggest being a good listener etc) Examine her play style and if its a game you're familiar with, show her some secrets or hidden cheat codes or something. Maybe she loved Super Mario 64 as a kid but never played Banjo-Kazooie. Maybe a puzzle game where the two of you try to figure things out like Safecracker (UGH MAKE A NEW ONE GOD DAMMIT)

This sort of stuff would probably give you a good read on whether or not the two of you have similar tastes or opinions etc.

Or if you are going in the casual PIIHB sorta direction than I could see getting drunk with competitive/interactive games turning into play wrestling on the couch, one thing leads to another, you hit it so hard she's blacked out on the floor, the landlord/parent is banging on the door asking what all that ruckus is, and now you've got no idea wtf to do in that situation.

Good luck!

P.S. - Tying their hands up with a controller cord can also be fun. Just be careful where you point your crazy glue cannon.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By alistercat

@seikenfreak said:

Or if you are going in the casual PIIHB sorta direction than I could see getting drunk with competitive/interactive games turning into play wrestling on the couch, one thing leads to another, you hit it so hard she's blacked out on the floor, the landlord/parent is banging on the door asking what all that ruckus is, and now you've got no idea wtf to do in that situation.

Good luck!

P.S. - Tying their hands up with a controller cord can also be fun. Just be careful where you point your crazy glue cannon.

Maximum creep has been achieved. Amazing.

TyrellOCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Wii Sports. I'd play it all the time with a girl was seeing. It's casually competitive, goofy date fun and easy to pickup/put down between other stuff e.g. eating, drinking, chatting.

The "videogame date" is a cool idea, although extremely niche. Definitely needs a better name.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I don't know what games you or your date enjoy, hell I don't even know if you date likes games at all.

So I guess you should get out the co-op games? If you both are enjoy shooters then Halo is a ton of fun for co-op. Most racing games still have split-screen these days right? Portal 2 can be fun but also a bit frustrating...

Or maybe just see who can build the biggest dick in Minecraft?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@village_guy: I updated the first post by saying she plays traditional games and likes Fallout. I'm definitely not in to racing games so I will steer clear of those (HA I'm so hilarious).

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

@audiobusting:

Is it cheating if the game contains hentai scenes?

Hell naw, it's the equivalent of putting on some romantic music.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Despite everything going wrong, Nidhogg seems to have been the winner. Windjammers didn't go down as well as I hoped. Thanks for all the help everyone!

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say you should go above just a single screen and find a second tv/console to have a mini LAN party, tv's next to eachother, playing an online co-op game on the same couch.

At least have some sort of co-op fallback if competitive turns out to be a bad idea. Maybe tomb raider guardians of light (is it light? whatever that recent co-op tomb raider on XBLA was called).

Avatar image for singingmenstrual
SingingMenstrual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually with all due respect what's cringe-worthy is your sensitivity and, perhaps, insecurity towards the words 'video game date.' You wouldn't think something's wrong with saying movie date or beer games date, but the insecure gamer in you is still sensitive about social video game lingo. I bet you just cringed when I called you a gamer. Stop cringing, brother, he's having a date revolving around video games with a girl, just as if he's having a movie night. Nothing wrong with it :)

Wat. I like your way with words.

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@expensiveham said:

Actually with all due respect what's cringe-worthy is your sensitivity and, perhaps, insecurity towards the words 'video game date.' You wouldn't think something's wrong with saying movie date or beer games date, but the insecure gamer in you is still sensitive about social video game lingo. I bet you just cringed when I called you a gamer. Stop cringing, brother, he's having a date revolving around video games with a girl, just as if he's having a movie night. Nothing wrong with it :)

Movie dates or beer dates sound just as dumb. Why would i be insecure about playing video games on a video game forum? I do hate the name gamer though but that is due to other reasons.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Super Street Fighter II' Turbo. Might as well establish who will be dominant in the relationship now.

For Wii U, Super Mario 3D World might make for a good date.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for singingmenstrual
SingingMenstrual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SingingMenstrual

@singingmenstrual said:

@expensiveham said:

Movie dates or beer dates sound just as dumb. Why would i be insecure about playing video games on a video game forum? I do hate the name gamer though but that is due to other reasons.

You're a very expensive piece of ham.

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

@AlisterCat playing something like Wolf Among Us or The Walking Dead could be fun since the decision making aspect of those games translates well to couch co-op. Also, Dark Souls.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Catherine for sure.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38  Edited By wrighteous86

Portal 2, Rayman, or any of the Mario/DK sidescrollers.

Mario Kart, bitches love Mario Kart.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer said:

You could play the most romantic multiplayer mode if you have a Vita.

We did. She kicked my ass.

Thank you everyone, date over. Huge success... except for some controller issues. Plus some hilarious mishaps that will not be told here.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers