• 144 results
Atary77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Atary77

With all the talk about how most video game endings suck these days I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to talk about the game endings that people actually like. What game endings did you folks feel satisfied with? Games that you felt had a proper conclusion. I apologize if this topic has been done already and if possible try to avoid spoilers if it's a game that's been released recently. However if it's an ending to an older game say, before 2010 then I think it'll be okay. I'll leave that judgement up to you guys.

Me personally I don't have to think back too far. I thought inFamous 2 had a satisfying and logical conclusion to it's story which was pretty well written. Without really giving anything away I can say that unlike a lot of games that have the number two in the title this one didn't leave you with some stupid cliffhanger. Instead it tied up all the loose ends, left no questions unanswered, and in my opinion represented the logical conclusion to the game's story regardless of which ending you got or how you played Cole as a character. inFamous 2 was one of my most favorite games from 2011 and I still find myself revisiting it from time to time.

That's my two cents, now it's your turn!

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By TentPole

I loved the controversial ending to Enslaved.

CountRockula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By CountRockula

I really liked the endings of the first two God of War games. I know the ending of 2 is a cliffhanger, which I'm typically not a fan of, but that cliffhanger is so awesome it kind of overcomes my inherent distaste for them.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Persona 3 FES had the best ending out of any video game I've played. Everything comes together so neatly during the ending sequence, the final boss isn't a disappointment and it even has a great denouement.

Ghost Trick's ending was insane and amazing, but suitably so as it all made sense given what was happening.

Pheonix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations' ending was a great ending to the trilogy, taking into account what happened in the previous games and having them come together.

9 hours, 9 persons, 9 doors had an ending that's worse than the others I've mentioned, but it was unique, at least.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Canteu

Nier. 100 times Nier.

jakkblades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By jakkblades

Planescape Torment

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By killacam

@TentPole said:

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Mafia.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#9  Edited By Little_Socrates

Metal Gear Solid 3 is probably still the king of the endings. All I will say on that.

I also really liked the endings to Journey, Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, Saints Row: The Third, Bastion, Catherine, Batman: Arkham City, Deadly Premonition, Red Dead Redemption, Assassin's Creed II, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, LIMBO, Persona 4, Persona 3, Mass Effect, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Portal, the endings to all the Half-Life 2 stuff, and God of War (since 2005.) Before that, I really haven't finished THAT many games with stories; I suppose I like the endings to Metal Gear Solid, Super Mario 64, The Ocarina of Time, and the "ending" of Missile Command.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HarlechQuinn

Journey...

Atary77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Atary77

@jakkblades said:

Planescape Torment

I totally need to go back to this game one. I already know how it ends, just it was so damn good!@TentPole said:

And I totally need to finish this game. Love me some Andy Sircus =)

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Hizang

Conkers Bad Fur Day had such a twist of and ending, such a shock considering what the rest of the game is like.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darksiders, yo.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14  Edited By GS_Dan

Wind Waker and MGS3 had great endings.

Atary77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Atary77

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Darksiders, yo.

Oh Gawd yes! I think it's worth mentioning this is also one of my favorites. It just made you so pumped for the next game! Much like how Patrick felt when he mentioned it during a podcast. He had beaten the game recently and was feeling pretty stoked for the next game.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By DeF

@killacam said:

@TentPole said:

!

Also: Heavenly Sword! (Ninja Theory know what's up)

An older one would be Terranigma. Beautiful ending.

BioShock 2 also had a pretty satisfying ending, especially in terms of how it takes your actions into account in a more significant way than the first one.

As for inFamous 2, I only like the "good" ending. I thought the "evil" path in that game made no sense. (I finished the first game preferring the "evil" outcomes).

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By babblinmule

Final Fantasy 13-2's ending is still pretty fresh in my mind - ending in that was pretty great.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Ghostiet

Planescape: Torment, Nier, Mother 3, Red Dead Redemption... The inFAMOUS games also end on satisfying notes, even though they're too attached to a binary system of "good/bad".

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19  Edited By zyn

Final Fantasy X.

Packie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Packie

MGS 3, Metro 2033, Journey and Half-Life 2 Episode 2 were all bloody incredible.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheCreamFilling

Killzone 2's and Halo 3's endings would have been great if they never made Killzone 3 and Halo 4.

Atary77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Atary77

@Packie said:

MGS 3, Metro 2033, Journey and Half-Life 2 Episode 2 were all bloody incredible.

This is slowly turning into a list of games I need to finish. Metro 2033 has been sitting on my shelf for quite a bit and I've only gotten about... I'd say a quarter of the way through it before I got distracted with something else but I was certainly liking the story of it and I'll certainly have to finish it one of these days.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By YI_Orange

Most of them? I'm having a tougher time coming up with an ending I didn't like.

Maybe I'm just not too picky. I'm content to let myself enjoy things in the moment and in the context. Sure, some games are really dumb or the entire ending is one big "WTF?"(I'm looking at you Digital Devil Saga 2. Seriously, what the fuck. I dug into it and it's still weird and confusing). I also find it really easy to get into things so that probably helps.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By JasonR86

Prince of Persia (2009)

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

Red Dead Redemption

Journey

Flower

Braid

Limbo

Lunar 2 (mostly because of the Epilogue)

Saints Row the Third (both endings)

Halo Reach

Portal 1 and 2

These were the ones I could think of off the top of my head. There's probably more.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By Sooperspy

Red Dead Redemption, Portal 2, MGS3 and Bioshock all come to mind.

Atary77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Atary77

@JasonR86: Ahh yes Lunar 2 was quite a nice little gem. After beating the game i just HAD to play through the Epilogue and thankfully I felt pretty satisfied with the ending. Certainly some good memories with that game.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#27  Edited By Yummylee

Besides the usual suspects (RDR, MGS3 ect.) EDIT: coincidence!!... The Usual Suspects has a great ending too.

• Resident Evil 2 B Scenario endings.
  • God of War 2
  • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, primarily for the dialogue (''Borrowed it off a couple of pirates who were too dead to care'') and how it all tied up nicely.
  • Silent Hill 2 Dog & UFO Endings. The Mary ending is pretty touching as well.
  • Every Tekken ending.
  • The Saboteur.
  • GTAIV
  • Vice City
  • Saints Row 2. Both the default and the 'secret' Julius ending are fab.
  • Saints Row The Third.
  • Dragon Age: Origins
  • ect... because I'm sure there's others that I've really enjoyed, but have slipped my mind. Kinda speaks to how much I apparently enjoyed them, though :P
TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By TehFlan

I thought the ending to Skyward Sword was pretty good.

More importantly though, Conduit 2:

Seriously.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By FreakAche

I found Bastion's ending to be really satisfying.

Ragnarok512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ragnarok512

I really liked Bastion's ending.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DeF

@JasonR86 said:

Prince of Persia (2009)

2008 you mean?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32  Edited By Justin258

Halo 3's ending was pretty satisfying.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By Animasta

@YI_Orange said:

Most of them? I'm having a tougher time coming up with an ending I didn't like.

Maybe I'm just not too picky. I'm content to let myself enjoy things in the moment and in the context. Sure, some games are really dumb or the entire ending is one big "WTF?"(I'm looking at you Digital Devil Saga 2. Seriously, what the fuck. I dug into it and it's still weird and confusing). I also find it really easy to get into things so that probably helps.

DDS2 ending is great, because it's so ridiculous; fighting God is always fun, Seraph is amazing, fighting IN THE GODDAMN SUN

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JasonR86

@DeF said:

@JasonR86 said:

Prince of Persia (2009)

2008 you mean?

...yes. I was feeling lazy and didn't want to look it up. I had a 1/10 shot in getting it right so I went for it.

Atary77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Atary77

@TehFlan: Ok wow, at first I had to look at a couple times before I realized who those dudes were. And I'm at a loss for words.

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheKing

Red Dead Redemption is the top of the top for me.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Klei

@Atary77 Infamous 2 ended with a cliffhanger and unanswered questions. You didn't notice the lightning ''?'' right above the boat as it sailed off?

Avatar image for deathmachine117
Deathmachine117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Deathmachine117

Halo 3, Gears Of War 3, The Saboteurs I remember was weird.

And Black Ops for probably the funniest most bravado inducing ending ever. Seriously that ending was golden.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#39  Edited By pyromagnestir

Shadow of the Colossus. Don't remember Ico's ending but I'm sure it was fine. But Shadow's was fucking great.

and a bunch that have been mentioned already Braid, the Portal's, liked Enslaved, Half Life 2 episode 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, others I'm sure that I just can't think of.

Killer 7? I think.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DeF

@JasonR86 said:

@DeF said:

@JasonR86 said:

Prince of Persia (2009)

2008 you mean?

...yes. I was feeling lazy and didn't want to look it up. I had a 1/10 shot in getting it right so I went for it.

BUSTED! :P

I keep reading bad things about the DLC which basically has a case of Azura's Wrath where it supposedly provides the "real ending"? Have you played that?

ErisRon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ErisRon

@TentPole said:

I don't how you got me, but you got me. I'm off to buy that game now.

Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Arkham City

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#43  Edited By StarvingGamer

Mass Effect 3

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#44  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Final Fantasy X, Portal 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, but most of all... Full Throttle. Man, that ending was superb.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By JasonR86

@DeF said:

@JasonR86 said:

@DeF said:

@JasonR86 said:

Prince of Persia (2009)

2008 you mean?

I keep reading bad things about the DLC which basically has a case of Azura's Wrath where it supposedly provides the "real ending"? Have you played that?

I did and it wasn't great. The original ending ends mysteriously. The future is unclear and how the two main characters will proceed from the ending forward is as well. I think it was perfect. As long as I have enough to draw my own conclusions I'm happy with having information withheld. The Epilogue DLC takes away all that mystery and painstakingly explains everything and paints a picture for the sequel. It sucks. It takes everything that made the original ending great and squashes it.

Atary77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Atary77

@Klei said:

@Atary77 Infamous 2 ended with a cliffhanger and unanswered questions. You didn't notice the lightning ''?'' right above the boat as it sailed off?

I've heard about this some say it means something, others say that it's not a question mark but actually a cane that's a reference to Sly Cooper suggesting it was a bit of a wink from Sucker Punch making a new Sly Cooper game which they are currently doing. I've yet to see anything that really disproves it. But whether it's true or not I feel the ending is decent taking everything at face value.

ErisRon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ErisRon

Only recent games come to mind: Assassin's creed 1 and 2. I also believe that its current fiction is one of the best told sci-fi stories ever, super engrossing. Everytime you get to the ending in each game, the more you want the story to unfold. The ending gets me everytime, it's great!

Atary77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Atary77

@ErisRon: Personally I highly recommend it. Especially since it's super cheap right now.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#49  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@JasonR86 said:

@DeF said:

@JasonR86 said:

@DeF said:

@JasonR86 said:

Prince of Persia (2009)

2008 you mean?

I did and it wasn't great. The original ending ends mysteriously. The future is unclear and how the two main characters will proceed from the ending forward is as well. I think it was perfect. As long as I have enough to draw my own conclusions I'm happy with having information withheld. The Epilogue DLC takes away all that mystery and painstakingly explains everything and paints a picture for the sequel. It sucks. It takes everything that made the original ending great and squashes it.

Agreed. That game's ending was brilliant in its design, and I never wanted to go anywhere near any DLC that changed it. Then they changed direction completely with the sequel, which is even better, because it essentially preserves the original ending forever.

But for me personally, I'd have to say Red Dead Redemption and Braid have the best endings I've seen this console generation.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By chrissedoff

Halo Reach had a great ending.