What Are Some Of The Worst Endings You seen In a Video Game?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Milkman
@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Red Dead Redemption

Darksiders

Portal 2

Silent Hill 2

Wrong on all accounts. Try again.
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By JasonR86

All of the Colecovision and Atari 2600 games because they didn't exist.

EDIT: The endings that is. Atari and Colecovision games didn't have endings. So they didn't exist.

...so, you know...yeah.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By falserelic

I didn't find the silent hill 2 endings to be bad but weird.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#54  Edited By Castiel

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Red Dead Redemption

You are not alone dude.

I appreciate what that game was trying to do with the ending, I guess, but it simply wasn't ANY fun at all to play.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By Zlimness

@Revan_NL said:

Mass Effect 3 obviously (had to mention it). But MGS4 is pretty horrible. I could've ended strong, with Snake ending his life, instead we go a looooong monologue.

For sure. MGS4 is so far up it's own ass that they needed the length of an entire feature film to close out the story. The dialogue is so poorly written and pompous, it was hard to bother about it all 5 minutes in. I've played a lot of games with lackluster abrupt endings, but MGS4 takes the cake for continously wasting your time for hours.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56  Edited By RE_Player1

Kane and Lynch 2 might be the worst ending I have ever seen. Even though I got the game for free I was still pissed at the amount of time I wasted on that piece of garbage.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By abendlaender

Probably Bionic Commando, holy shit was that stupid. Also the ending of Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines was pretty disappointing

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By falserelic

@Abendlaender said:

Probably Bionic Commando, holy shit was that stupid. Also the ending of Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines was pretty disappointing

Bionic Commando ending was disappointing, and the conclusion of how he got he's arm was weird.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#59  Edited By Yummylee

One more over here for MGS4 and LA Noire. Kane & Lynch 2 and Psi Ops are another couple that have some notably garbage finishes (or lack thereof rather), but they differ from stuff like MGS4's because games like that actually have a story worth caring about. It's why I'd consider MGS4's ending to be 'worse' than K&L2's. Within the context, it's all the more depressingly bad for how overblown and drawn-out it was.

• Both BioShock games had some lacking endings as well. Hell, I'm surprised I'm the first to bring it up.
  • Fable 3's was a stinking pile of excrement, too. Though frankly it all quickly takes a nose dive once you hit King.
  • While I maybe wouldn't go as so far to even call them bad exactly, but both of the original Broken Sword games had relatively lackluster endings. The Smoking Mirror especially.
  • Dino Crisis 2 is a similar sort of ending to the K&L2's of the medium, in that it abruptly ends, but it at least wasn't apart of a story I was exceptionally invested in.
  • Assassin's Creed I hated because it was such a terribly cheap cliff-hanger. I was already frustrated with everything else to do with the game by that point and it was the story that was temporarily the only saving grace... I thought it was arrogant how you couldn't even skip the credits, either. God, just... fucking hate that game through and through.
  • All of the endings I've seen of Downpour are pretty sucky, and some of them came across like they were intentionally trying to be weird for the sake of weird.
  • Yup, Borderlands.
  • Resident Evil 5's was disappointing. I mean, it ends pretty much how they all end, but it's the sole virtue of Sheva stealing Jill's thunder by being the one alongside Chris to kill Wesker that was just so fucking misguided.
  • Dead Rising's Best ending was cut a little short as well. Especially since I actually really liked the story in that, even more so during the 'Overtime' mode when it's just Frank and Isabella.
  • Dragon Age 2 naturally. 'lol wut' sums up the entire ending segment right as soon as the mage vs templar war erupts.
  • Dragon Age Awakening - It's yet another abrupt fade to black ending, which in a Dragon Age game is all the more unacceptable.
  • I'd have said Mass Effect 3 before the extended editions, but now they're OK for what they are. Not the most ideal, but they could have been worse... Hell, they were. Much much worse.
  • KOTOR 2... now that is some proverbial slappin' across the face right there - for both 'endings'.
abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By abendlaender

Oh almost forgott: Mirror's Edge's (?) ending was pretty weak. Shame cause I actually really, really like that game.

And of course: RAGE. What the hell happened there? Not that I expected a great story from iD but the ending was just.....aweful

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

Star Fox Adventures. The entire god damn game built up General Scales as this badass villain and at the end of the game when you finally get to fight him he dies in a cutscene. Then for no fucking reason Fox jumps in his space fighter and suddenly Andross is there. WHAT THE FUCK? ANDROSS WASN'T IN THIS GAME AT ALL. EVER. WHERE THE FUCK DID HE COME FROM. AAAGGGHHHH. Seriously that was the most disappointing thing, mainly because he literally had no reason to be in the game other than HEY REMEMBER THIS GUY.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By falserelic

@Yummylee: Yeah that Dino Crisis 2 ending was a slap in the face. It made me felt hopeless for those 2 characters left behind. Re5 did follow the same formula of how the previous RE games ended, as for psi ops Its been along time sense I've seen the ending to that game. I don't remember me hating the ending but I knew where the story was heading.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#63  Edited By Yummylee

@falserelic: Psi Ops has a shitty ending so much in that it doesn't have an ending, just like K&L2. It just ends while the main character and the love-interest chick are trying to escape the facility... and that's it. You don't even find out whether they escape or not. I even completed it on the higher difficulty just to see if maybe the ending continues onward that way, but to no luck. Obviously a sequel was intended to follow through (which we naturally won't get), but it was a terrible ending regardless even if we did get a sequel.

homewrecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#64  Edited By homewrecker

No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle's ending is just a dumb ending

Roxasthirteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Roxasthirteen

Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Everything is fine, then all of a sudden random death and "To Be Continued"? I mean even if they're setting up for XIII-3, there are better ways to do that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I actually did hate the ending to RDR. The game should end at some point, but it doesn't. It just makes you keep playing and, to me, insults your intelligence as you do meaningless, unfun crap when you KNOW what's going to happen. People acting like it was some kind of big surprise baffled me. It just took way too long and that took any emotional impact out of it. Also, screw that kid. It almost soured me on the rest of the game.

Also, while I don't think it was really BAD, the ending to Witcher 2 was complete information overload to me.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#68  Edited By Video_Game_King

Oh. Right. I was supposed to provide an example. How about The After Years? Why do aliens have to get involved in Final Fantasy, and why in the stupidest way possible?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#69  Edited By Hailinel

@Video_Game_King said:

Oh. Right. I was supposed to provide an example. How about The After Years? Why do aliens have to get involved in Final Fantasy, and why in the stupidest way possible?

Technically, Jenova is an alien being.

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By rpgee

Here's an uncommon one: Just Cause 2. Which I just finished.

Now, it could be argued that the entire story is satire, considering how racist and offensive it would be otherwise. But that ending, above all others I've seen, is the most odd-ball, whacked-out, stupid-as-shit story beat I've ever experienced, that uses a "twist" that can be predicted in the first hour or so, flips characters on their heads in some ways that are completely unearned, while also presenting them in arsehole ways that remind you why you shouldn't like them anyway.

Just Cause 2 can be a lot of fun, but fuck that story. And fuck anyone in that game who ever has to say a word.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#71  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Hailinel:

Damn it. At least JENOVA was thought out. That final boss from The After Years just felt like terrible writing.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

@SathingtonWaltz: I've never played that Star Fox but holy shit is that a Japanese curveball.

I'll also echo the terribleness that was Indigo Prophecy's second half. Damn did that game rocket downhill.

Gimpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Gimpy

I'm surprised nobody said Heavy Rain. I mean it wasn't that it ruined the story or anything, and it had some cool twists and story beats, but just the whole idea that you're spending this whole game trying to solve a mystery, and then the game just turns around and is like "oh yeah, we completely lied about what happened in a certain scene you played so you had no real way to legitimately guess" It's baffling because they could have probably still done that same scene with a bit more clever thought and pulled the curtain back to show you what really happened, but just having you play through a 15 minute section, then flashback to the same section and have it play out completely differently just totally took me out of the story and reminded me I was playing a video game. It's like setting somebody a riddle and then after they spend all day guessing, giving them the answer to a totally different one.

Also, I don't particularly hate RDR's ending at all, but it did really bug me how everybody raved on about how brilliant the twist was, and nobody seemed to mention how Mafia did the exact same thing years earlier (and did it better I think personally)

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Ninja_Welshman

Tekken. All of them.

Probably already been mentioned but I don't want to read the thread in case of spoilers.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By MikeGosot

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#76  Edited By beard_of_zeus

Seems to be a recurring theme in many people's examples, but I hate sudden abrupt endings where they immediately cut to credits. I'm not sure how many people played Hydrophobia, but that game is one of the worst offenders of that I've ever seen (as well as Kane & Lynch 2, which a couple people mentioned). The game just sorta ends in the middle of a cutscene where Kate (the main character) is like "Well, off to save Scoot!" (the guy who has been helping you via radio). 

Apparently, Hydrophobia was originally supposed to be the first part of a trilogy (and it shows); games really need to stop having cliffhanger endings where they try to leave things open for a sequel. I feel like you can wrap up a game's story or provide some sense of closure, and still have the ability to make a sequel or just a game in the same universe down the line if people enjoy the product you've created.

@Rmack said:

Also, while I don't think it was really BAD, the ending to Witcher 2 was complete information overload to me.

Yup, I'm with you there. I really enjoyed that game, but it's weird that the end part is basically just an Ask Me Anything with Letho that serves as a huge info dump.
viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#77  Edited By viking_funeral

I really hated the ending to Final Fantasy 7. After playing the localized versions of 4 and 6, which actually told you a bit about the characters after the ending, they give you a lame cinematic of Red XIII running as the end of FF7. Nothing else. No word on what happened to the characters, or anything else.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@CrossTheAtlantic said:

@SathingtonWaltz: I've never played that Star Fox but holy shit is that a Japanese curveball.

I'll also echo the terribleness that was Indigo Prophecy's second half. Damn did that game rocket downhill.

I can't stress enough just how abrubt and out of place it was. Imagine getting all the way to the end of Metroid Prime and you finally are about to face off against Prime. Right before the fight starts, a cutscene happens and Samus kills prime. A door opens in the back room, and the cutscene ends. You walk through the door and there's Mother Brain in the room. SUDDENLY A NEW FINAL BOSSSSSSS. FOR NO FUCKING REASON.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By falserelic

@beard_of_zeus said:

Seems to be a recurring theme in many people's examples, but I hate sudden abrupt endings where they immediately cut to credits. I'm not sure how many people played Hydrophobia, but that game is one of the worst offenders of that I've ever seen (as well as Kane & Lynch 2, which a couple people mentioned). The game just sorta ends in the middle of a cutscene where Kate (the main character) is like "Well, off to save Scoot!" (the guy who has been helping you via radio).

Apparently, Hydrophobia was originally supposed to be the first part of a trilogy (and it shows); games really need to stop having cliffhanger endings where they try to leave things open for a sequel. I feel like you can wrap up a game's story or provide some sense of closure, and still have the ability to make a sequel or just a game in the same universe down the line if people enjoy the product you've created.

@Rmack said:

Yup, I'm with you there. I really enjoyed that game, but it's weird that the end part is basically just an Ask Me Anything with Letho that serves as a huge info dump.

Yeah hydrophobia did ended out of nowhere. The game was starting to get more interesting when you develop the powers, and then it just ends. I just hated when games do that.

CountRockula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#80  Edited By CountRockula

@beard_of_zeus: I don't remember the ending of Hydrophobia being particularly bad, but maybe that's just because the entire game is pretty bad.

I'll also echo people who have said Assassin's Creed and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Human Revolution was especially disappointing, with its four buttons all leading to a couple minutes of pseudophilosophical posturing over stock footage; it was disappointing, given how much I enjoyed the world they created for that game.

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#82  Edited By Red12b

@Godlyawesomeguy:

RDR had an amazing ending, you're just plain wrong there man.

LA Noire degraded after the Black Dahlia murders, and just got steadily more shit with a real bullshit ending that must of been thought up like "How do we end this?" "I dunno.... storm-drain flamethrower flood...?" "Yeah, that should do."

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Roger778

Halo 2.

I borrowed the game from a friend of mine, and I really enjoyed it. The story was good, and the graphics were quite lovely for an original X-Box game. It's also probably the toughest game I've ever played, in that I died quite often, yet I persevered because I wanted to beat it.

However, the ending was so abrupt, it literally caught me by surprise. No end credits, it just showed Master Chief jumping in the beam that would take him back to earth...and that was it. It just jumped back to the credits.

That's my choice for worst ending ever.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#84  Edited By Justin258

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Red Dead Redemption

Darksiders

Portal 2

Silent Hill 2

You're trolling, no doubt about that.

Anyway, FEAR 2 and Deus Ex Human Revolution. FEAR 2 actually has a pretty good buildup to the ending, and then it just *poof* disappears before it ever really does anything, not to mention how disturbing it is. Deus Ex HR also has a far less interesting latter third, and the finale is pretty lackluster too.

EDIT: Also RAGE. Five minutes of plot, ten hours of gameplay, five more minutes of plot, five more hours of gameplay, five more minutes of plot, thirty minutes of gameplay, then done! 100%, 1000 gamerscore, Platinum trophy, whatever, and the ending is so sudden and easy.

Malgoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Malgoo

Quantum Conundrum, if only for the fact that I expected something far more horribly devious from Q.

Yes, I ignored the actual storyline (what little of it there was) and just spent the game imagining that Q had trapped me in this weird mansion and was fucking with me constantly with the dimension shifts and shit.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By falserelic

Rage was definitely a game that has a sudden ending. I remember getting ready to fight a final boss aleast I thought. After I got through killing some enemies Bam! it just ends in a snap. I was like Holy Shit here we go again with these all the sudden endings.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#87  Edited By Hunter5024

These have basically all been mentioned already but:

-Enslaved: stupid twist that was irrelevant to what was interesting about the narrative, and has totally already been done in a very popular story.

-L.A. Noire: I'm cool with everything that played out, it's mostly just how it all happened.

-GTA4: guess what? You're supposed to feel sad and responsible when one of two very unlikable douchebags dies due to circumstances beyond your control.

-Assassin's Creed: just left me so unsatisfied, good endings should leave you wanting more, not like you didn't get enough, a subtle but important difference.

-Dragon Age 2: the same as the last one except with an added bonus of having almost no variation, and a really unsatisfying climax as well.

-Final Fantasy 7: didn't really explore what happened to the remaining characters at all, this was fixed in Advent Children but I'm not really sure how I feel about them doing that ten years later.

Purpz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Purpz

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Dragon Age 2.

Can that be classed as a bad ending? Because, to be fair, the entire game stayed on the same shitty level of shittyness all the way through. There was no real, "What? That ending sucked dick". Due to, well you know, was there any real expectation for it to be decent anyway?

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By iam3green

i would say halo 3. bungie said that this would be the last halo made. i was expecting it to be true, but microsoft released a different one. it wasint' even a sequel to 3.

Grimace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Grimace

Halo 2

Enslaved

Eternal Sonata

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#91  Edited By KingBroly

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Absolutely terrible ending and direction that aren't going in for the sequel. Not to mention the terrible final fight.

Final Fantasy XIII - What ending?

Portal - It was just...over. Yeah, you get a song, but that's not really the ending now, is it?

Star Fox Command - I don't really think I need to describe the terribleness

Borderlands - Uh...it's a thing I guess. Really lazy though.

Red Dead Redemption - Simply because of who you play as, not what you do, which is also overly long and tedious for a fetch quest

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By dillonwerner

Borderlands

Dragon Age 2

Cabela's Big Game Hunter

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#93  Edited By C2C

Samurai Legend Musashi

While most of the ending sequence was par for the course given how bad the game was, the ending after "gameplay" finished was just a couple of lines of text with an unsubstantial cut-scene at the end. This made me feel really bad for having even set low expectations for an ending. Here it is in case you want to see it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#94  Edited By Humanity

@Grimace said:

Halo 2

Enslaved

Eternal Sonata

Wow I thought Enslaved had a really good thought provoking ending. The masks were also a nice touch.

Vanquish which I recently beat has a terrible ending in that it assumes the premise of a sequel - so literally nothing is explained or wrapped up.

Mafia II suffers in a similar fashion albeit the ending was supposed to be released in DLC form and it never was. While the original is one of my favorite games of all time the second game in the series suffered from a bad story all the way from the very beginning.

Avatar image for deactivated-6082f30752bdc
deactivated-6082f30752bdc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Borderlands ending I thought was really terrible. They say you'll get all this awesome loot, and then the game just ends. I was so fuckin pissed!

cozmicaztaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#96  Edited By cozmicaztaway

@falserelic said:

Rage was definitely a game that has a sudden ending. I remember getting ready to fight a final boss aleast I thought. After I got through killing some enemies Bam! it just ends in a snap. I was like Holy Shit here we go again with these all the sudden endings.

THIS! Seriously, such an anti-climax it was just stupid. Especially when

there's a dude mentioning some sort of huge mega-mutant or something (at least that's the impression I got), and I was just "dude, this is going to be sweeeet!". But nope, push some buttons, see beam into space, the end.[/spoiler[spoiler]there's a dude mentioning some sort of huge mega-mutant or something (at least that's the impression I got), and I was just "dude, this is going to be sweeeet!". But nope, push some buttons, see beam into space, the end.
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@Purpz said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Dragon Age 2.

Can that be classed as a bad ending? Because, to be fair, the entire game stayed on the same shitty level of shittyness all the way through. There was no real, "What? That ending sucked dick". Due to, well you know, was there any real expectation for it to be decent anyway?

I agree the whole game was kinda one big sewer coaster, but endings usually go big.
Turns out they went big on nonsense, not cool moments.
I expected more from Bioware back then.
TheSilentGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 28

#99  Edited By TheSilentGod

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

LA Noire

Rage

Kane and Lynch 2

Lollipop Chainsaw

Bad Company 2

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By SlightConfuse

As much as I like dragon age 2(more than most people) the ending was a sgit show. The whole 3rd act implodes on itself

Also dues ex HR the ending is so disconnected from anyring