• 62 results
peewi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By peewi

Right at launch Giant Bomb had a lot of problems. Luckily most have been fixed, but one that I'm still experiencing is that in the text field for forum posts and article editing, when clicking on the drop down menu for text size, the drop down menu appears BEHIND the text field, making it impossible to choose anything other than normal size.
This made me wonder:
What web browser was this website primarily tested with?

Of course this problem could be caused by the web browser I'm using (IE8 beta with IE7 emulation enabled) and not in any other, but such a problem should simply not be there.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Termite

There are bugs with IE7.

Jeff was using a mac ( Which he said he was just getting used to, implying that he used a PC before ) so that means the site was somewhat made for Safari. And I haven't seen anything bad with Firefox3 so that one if fine too. I've only heard problems with IE7-IE8 so far

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By DualReaver

No problems here with FF3, and as Termite said, most people complaining are using IE.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4  Edited By Suicrat

Why you don't have FireFox 3, I will never understand. Just download and use that.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Demilich

Who the fuck uses IE anymore.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By suneku

FF and Safari are working the best right now. IE7 still has bugs and I'm not sure if they even made it compatible with IE8 beta. Eventually they'll fix all the IE7 bugs, and work downwards. Opera is probably going to be the last one worked on.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DualReaver
Demilich said:
"Who the fuck uses IE anymore."
My family, they get mad at me when I try to install FF3 on their computers.
My sister flipped at me other day, cause I tried to install FF3 and AVG on her new and unprotected system.
Apparently I'm "breaking" and "messing" up their computers or something.
*sighs*
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By brukaoru
DualReaver said:
"Demilich said:
My sister flipped at me other day, cause I tried to install FF3 and AVG on her unprotected system.
*sighs*"
That sucks, has she even tried using Firefox? An unprotected system with the addition of using Internet Explorer... That's just asking to get attacked with viruses.
Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Demilich
DualReaver said:
"Demilich said:
My sister flipped at me other day, cause I tried to install FF3 and AVG on her new and unprotected system.
*sighs*"
Dumbasses.

Issue beatings more frequently.
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DualReaver
brukaoru said:
"DualReaver said:
"Demilich said:
My sister flipped at me other day, cause I tried to install FF3 and AVG on her unprotected system.
*sighs*"
That sucks, has she even tried using Firefox? An unprotected system with the addition of using Internet Explorer... That's just asking to get attacked with viruses."
Nope she hasn't.

Demilich said:
"DualReaver said:
"Demilich said:
*sighs*"
Dumbasses.

Issue beatings more frequently."

I increased my beating frequency by 50%.
Ubergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ubergeist

Works fine on Firefox.

peewi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By peewi
Demilich said:

A lot more people than uses everything else. Most people don't bother installing another web browser and guess what comes with Windows.

I tried FireFox at some point. I'm not sure why, but I really didn't like it.
Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Demilich

It was rhetorical. I was saying only idiots use IE.

I can say with confidence if you tried FF you gave up after less than 10 minutes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably FF. Since, you know, IE sucks.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By crunchUK
DualReaver said:
"Demilich said:
*sighs*"
LAWL no way. laugh at them when they get virused and have to format their computer
thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By thebeast

I don't think it's fair to judge what browsers other people should use - while there are obvious security implications in using unpatched IE6, why can't people have the choice?
Sure, IE has a terrible rendering engine - but some people are just comfortable with it or even like the way it performs - if they see a site that doesn't work in IE they'll think; "This doesn't work in my browser!", not "My browser is terrible!".

Personally, I wish everyone would start switching over to Firefox or Opera - well, anything as long as it's not IE6, just to make web developers' lives easier!

This site was probably designed around Firefox - it's generally a great base to work with, then you can hack bits together to work in IE usually.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

I'm wondering how many of the people who endlessly complain about IE actually have real jobs? Sure, only idiots use IE.... or, you know, people with actual jobs.

At my company you can't change the browser (against policy,) you can't just use whatever applications you'd like on the company computers... so, we use IE - and it's fine. I can't just toss FF3 on a couple of the computers because it gets so much forum praise. Many, many companies are the exact same way. IE is the "established" browser, so they go with what they're comfortable with. 

I have no problems with the site using IE at all other than a slight post editing bug occasionally and a bug that causes some hidden posts not to be revealed when I hit "reveal post," not that they're worth reading anyways.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DualReaver
BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"

I'm wondering how many of the people who endlessly complain about IE actually have real jobs? Sure, only idiots use IE.... or, you know, people with actual jobs.

At my company you can't change the browser (against policy,) you can't just use whatever applications you'd like on the company computers... so, we use IE - and it's fine. I can't just toss FF3 on a couple of the computers because it gets so much forum praise. Many, many companies are the exact same way. IE is the "established" browser, so they go with what they're comfortable with. 

I have no problems with the site using IE at all other than a slight post editing bug occasionally and a bug that causes some hidden posts not to be revealed when I hit "reveal post," not that they're worth reading anyways.

"
So if people have jobs, they shouldn't have FF3 at home?
FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FengShuiGod

I use firefox and everything runs perfectly.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Demyx
TheBeast said:
"I don't think it's fair to judge what browsers other people should use - while there are obvious security implications in using unpatched IE6, why can't people have the choice?
Sure, IE has a terrible rendering engine - but some people are just comfortable with it or even like the way it performs - if they see a site that doesn't work in IE they'll think; "This doesn't work in my browser!", not "My browser is terrible!".

Personally, I wish everyone would start switching over to Firefox or Opera - well, anything as long as it's not IE6, just to make web developers' lives easier!

This site was probably designed around Firefox - it's generally a great base to work with, then you can hack bits together to work in IE usually."
what about IE7?

anyway, i'm using FF just because IE is glitchy, and Opera just won't let me do anything on this site. I used IE7 more than anything, and I've never had any issues.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Snail

Well I've got the friends glitch and I'm using FF3, though I don't know if I still have it since one guy tracked me and now I have him on my friends list so I guess I'm gonna track all my friends again but now they'll probably think I'm a pain in the arse. Oh well.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DualReaver
Snail said:
"Well I've got the friends glitch and I'm using FF3, though I don't know if I still have it since one guy tracked me and now I have him on my friends list so I guess I'm gonna track all my friends again but now they'll probably think I'm a pain in the arse. Oh well."
Everyone is having that problem.
peewi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By peewi

To all you people being very vocal about how Internet Explorer sucks and everyone using it are idiots: Have you considered that if it really did suck so much, less people would be using it? Have you even tried something newer than IE6? Because IE7 is decidedly not horrible. This is the only website I can recall using that has issues with Internet Explorer.

I'm not a web developer, but if I was I would work primarily with Internet Explorer and with other browsers secondarily. Not because I think it is inherently superior, but becaus it is the most widely used web browser.
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
DualReaver said:
"BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"

"
So if people have jobs, they shouldn't have FF3 at home?"

"Shouldn't?" I don't even know what that means, people can have whatever they want, if they want FF3 they should knock themselves out.

I have IE7 at home as well. Other than the two extremely minor bugs on this forum I have never had any issues with it - at all - security issues or otherwise. Works fine for me, no reason to change it. 
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DualReaver
BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"DualReaver said:
"BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"

"

"Shouldn't?" I don't even know what that means, people can have whatever they want, if they want FF3 they should knock themselves out.

I have IE7 at home as well. Other than the two extremely minor bugs on this forum I have never had any issues with it - at all - security issues or otherwise. Works fine for me, no reason to change it. "
Well you just stated how a lot of company's force their employees to only use IE, what was the point of even mentioning it?
Most people could use common sense to figure out people can't just download browsers at their work, they're talking about for people's personal use.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BiffMcBlumpkin said:

"DualReaver said:
"BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"

"

I have IE7 at home as well. Other than the two extremely minor bugs on this forum I have never had any issues with it - at all - security issues or otherwise. Works fine for me, no reason to change it. "
I believe it's a word...

And you have no idea what you're missing out on. :P
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

The point was everyone was rambling on and on about how only idiots use IE, when in reality for 8 hours a day many people are forced to use it, and that's also the period they frequently browse the net.

Pretty easy to piece together.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
Sentry said:
BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"DualReaver said:
"BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"

"

I believe it's a word...

And you have no idea what you're missing out on. :P"

I've used Firefox plenty.

IE7 has many features that Firefox used to have, now that it does I have no reason to use anything else. IE does everything I want to do perfectly and I've never had any issues with it. Why would I change?
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By brukaoru
Peewi said:
"To all you people being very vocal about how Internet Explorer sucks and everyone using it are idiots: Have you considered that if it really did suck so much, less people would be using it?
Well to be fair, there are still many people who don't know the basics of the internet, browsers, etc. A majority of users still type in domains in a search engine because they don't know the bar at the top can be used to go directly to a website. It's not so much that they think IE is great, many people just don't know about other browsers.
Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By Patchinko

Stop using GiantBomb from work. You're probably not supposed to anyway.

Problem solved.

(I mean, assuming you have FF installed on your home computer like everyone else who wants a completely functional Internet experience does.)

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
Patchinko said:
"(I mean, assuming you have FF installed on your home computer like everyone else who wants a completely functional Internet experience does.)"

In what way?

I've never had ANY issues with IE7.

What exactly would I be gaining from FF3?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"IE7 has many features that Firefox used to have, now that it does I have no reason to use anything else. IE does everything I want to do perfectly and I've never had any issues with it. Why would I change?"
Haha, good one. You almost had me there.
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
Sentry said:
"BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"IE7 has many features that Firefox used to have, now that it does I have no reason to use anything else. IE does everything I want to do perfectly and I've never had any issues with it. Why would I change?"
Haha, good one. You almost had me there."
What?

Can anyone answer my question?

What would I be gaining by using FF3 over IE7? 
thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By thebeast
BiffMcBlumpkin said:
What?

What would I be gaining by using FF3 over IE7? "
Bottom line is, if you prefer to use IE7, there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't.
It's a step forward for the IE devs in the way of standards compliance - not quite there yet, and still a pain to develop for - but it's perfectly usable.
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DualReaver
BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"Sentry said:
"BiffMcBlumpkin said:
What?

I find it much faster, easier to navigate, better security and works well with any website.
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Every single webstireDualReaver said:

"BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"Sentry said:
"BiffMcBlumpkin said:
What?

I find it much faster, easier to navigate, better security and works well with any website."
Every single website I go to works well, IE7 is numbingly easy for me to navigate, it's fast, and I have no security issues.

So, yeah - I think I'll continue to use it. I guess that makes me an "Idiot."
Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Patchinko
BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"Sentry said:
"BiffMcBlumpkin said:
What?

It has fewer features than FF3 and has a greater number of incompatible sites as well as being more susceptible to malicious code. You even admitted earlier in this very thread that some features on this site don't work completely on your IE7. They do on FF3.

If you are so interested in what you'd be gaining, go try FF3 yourself and find out. I'm not here to hand-hold you through improving your own Internet experience. If you want an inferior experience, that's your prerogative.
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DualReaver
BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"Every single webstireDualReaver said:
"BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"Sentry said:
"BiffMcBlumpkin said:
What?

I find it much faster, easier to navigate, better security and works well with any website."
Every single website I go to works well, IE7 is numbingly easy for me to navigate, it's fast, and I have no security issues.

So, yeah - I think I'll continue to use it."
Better security never hurts, and it isn't just me IT IS faster than IE7.
It's cool use IE7 though, doesn't really matter.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol. Just use both for an equal amount of time and tell me IE is better then FF.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
Patchinko said:
"BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"Sentry said:
"BiffMcBlumpkin said:
What?

It has fewer features than FF3 and has a greater number of incompatible sites as well as being more susceptible to malicious code. You even admitted earlier in this very thread that some features on this site don't work completely on your IE7. They do on FF3.

If you are so interested in what you'd be gaining, go try FF3 yourself and find out. I'm not here to hand-hold you through improving your own Internet experience. If you want an inferior experience, that's your prerogative."

Except that FF3 has a few bugs of its own on this site as well,  this site is still being developed - it's in its infancy. I would hardly call sometimes not being able to reveal a hidden post a big deal though, and it's hardly enough to get me to switch browsers. And saying it's more susceptible to malicious codes and more prone not to work with certain sites are fine bulletpoints - but I've never had any security issues (I have fine antivirus programs and firewalls on the PC's I use, security is taken care of) and have yet to come across a site that doesn't work completely. My internet connections, both here and at home, are lightning fast and I've never has a problem with IE's speed - it's blazing fast.

And hahahaha, "Inferior experience." We're talking about web browsers here, and IE works perfectly for me. There is not one single thing to be gained from using FF3 on my end, believe it or not our experiences are identical.

You're not viewing some magical fantasy internet that I don't have access to. FF3 might be the e-cool "in" thing, but IE7 works perfectly for me.
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
Sentry said:
"Lol. Just use both for an equal amount of time and tell me IE is better then FF."

Are the women going to crawl out of my monitor when I look at porn and blow me? Is FF going to give me back massages?

What exactly do you think it's going to do that's going to blow me away? You can't answer the question, you just keep saying the same things over and over again.

I used to use FireFox well before FF3 came out, I liked it better due to the tabbed browsing and a couple of other minor features but it was hardly the second coming as people were describing it as, even back then. Now that all the features I want are in IE7 there is no reason for me to have multiple browsers on my home PC.
peewi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By peewi
Sentry said:
"Lol. Just use both for an equal amount of time and tell me IE is better then FF."

I don't see anyone saying that Internet Explorer is better than FireFox, but FireFox isn't absolutely neccesary for a good web browsing experience and Internet Explorer is better than a lot of you people seem to think.
Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43  Edited By Mushir
Peewi said:
"Sentry said:

I don't see anyone saying that Internet Explorer is better than FireFox, but FireFox isn't absolutely neccesary for a good web browsing experience and Internet Explorer is better than a lot of you people seem to think."
IE is not bad. Its pretty good. But Safari and FF are better IMO. Why? Well they are faster! Way faster than IE.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, no one is saying IE is better then FF, but when you have the CHOICE between FF and IE, how could one pick IE? Mind boggling.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Because it works perfectly and FF3 would offer no advantage whatsoever?

Not really mind boggling.

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Colonel_Cool

I'm having absolutely no problems with FF3. If you're running IE7, then switch, it will not only solve bug problems with GB but also be a much better browsing experience.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Demilich
BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"Because it works perfectly and FF3 would offer no advantage whatsoever?

Not really mind boggling."
Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Patchinko
BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"Patchinko said:
"BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"Sentry said:
"BiffMcBlumpkin said:
What?

If you are so interested in what you'd be gaining, go try FF3 yourself and find out. I'm not here to hand-hold you through improving your own Internet experience. If you want an inferior experience, that's your prerogative."

Except that FF3 has a few bugs of its own on this site as well,  this site is still being developed - it's in its infancy. I would hardly call sometimes not being able to reveal a hidden post a big deal though, and it's hardly enough to get me to switch browsers. And saying it's more susceptible to malicious codes and more prone not to work with certain sites are fine bulletpoints - but I've never had any security issues (I have fine antivirus programs and firewalls on the PC's I use, security is taken care of) and have yet to come across a site that doesn't work completely. My internet connections, both here and at home, are lightning fast and I've never has a problem with IE's speed - it's blazing fast.

And hahahaha, "Inferior experience." We're talking about web browsers here, and IE works perfectly for me. There is not one single thing to be gained from using FF3 on my end, believe it or not our experiences are identical.

You're not viewing some magical fantasy internet that I don't have access to. FF3 might be the e-cool "in" thing, but IE7 works perfectly for me."
Hey, you keep using your "e-cool out thing" and I'll keep using the better browser.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"FF3 would offer no advantage whatsoever?"
LOL!
Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Demilich
BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"Because it works perfectly and FF3 would offer no advantage whatsoever?

Not really mind boggling."