• 65 results
Pikapichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pikapichu

What are your thoughts on Gamestop? Every once in a while they'll have a good deal on a new or used game and I'll shop there, but that's not too often. I can't really say that I like or dislike them, but there are some things about them that irritate me like how they sell opened games as new. Here's some vids from someone who seems to know the inner workings of GS pretty well. It makes me feel bad for the employees and hate the higher ups.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

I don't like shopping online for many reasons, and although I think GameStop is a bitch corporation, there isn't really anything else for me to use. I just keep all my preorders and shit organized there. Blah.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Demyx

I usually will stop by gamestop if I have any money on me and check out the used games, but other than that, I've actually gotten many of my games from Amazon in the past year.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike

I never shop at Gamestop, no matter what.  There is no reason to.  I'm kind of annoyed that this Youtube guy completely ripped his style from Yahtzee, though.

Pikapichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Pikapichu

Like Demyx mentioned, sometimes they'll have some good deals on used games, so I usually check there for that. I usually shop at either Best Buy, Circuit City or Fry's for all my gaming needs. Sometimes I'll shop at Amazon, but a lot of the times I become impatient and can't wait for the time it takes to ship the game from the warehouse to my home. ^_^

Burden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Burden

Gamestop is great; no where else can I get less money for my trade-in's which are then sold at top dollar only to prove defective. 

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SpecTackle

I hate Gamestop with a passion and I'm sure you all know why. However, I'm fully prepared to trade in 3 games for NHL 09 because I am their target demographic; poor as shit.

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By DARKIDO07

I love GameStop, I have an EDGE card (it pays for itself) and I trade in games, yeah I know I will get more for Ebay but Ebay is a pain in the ass for me. I try to buy all my games used though.

Pikapichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pikapichu

Combining the EDGE card with the coupons and deals on used games usually turns out some great bargains. The only downside to it is that supposedly none of the money from those transactions goes to the developers.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mike
Pikapichu said:
 The only downside to it is that supposedly none of the money from those transactions goes to the developers."
Of course none of it goes to the people who make the games...buying & selling used games is how Gamestop stays in business, that's one of the top reasons I refuse to support them.
twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By twenty0ne

They're ok - I like to pre-order games there, but they totally rip you off when you trade games in.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By KingBroly

Developers & publishers don't make their money by gamers buying games.  They make their money from stores buying their games.

I think the Gamestop experience is sorta pot luck.  Each store is different.  I've mostly had good experiences, while others haven't been so fortunate.

Pikapichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pikapichu
MB said:
"Pikapichu said:
 The only downside to it is that supposedly none of the money from those transactions goes to the developers."
Of course none of it goes to the people who make the games...buying & selling used games is how Gamestop stays in business, that's one of the top reasons I refuse to support them."
Oh I see. Sometimes I can't help it, like for older games that I can't seem to find anywhere else. I can't think of a specific example so those moments are far and few in between. GS doesn't get too much of my hard-earned cash.
suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By suneku

I don't usually shop there, since I have gamefly and would just drive to Best Buy. But I do go there to look for old but not too old games.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By clarke0

Never shop there because of how they rip you off for trade-ins and buy the competition so they can be the only big game store chain. I have a Gamecrazy walking distance from my house so I always go there.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#16  Edited By sarahsdad

There's one in the same block of stores where I do a lot of my grocery shopping, so I go in probably every couple of weeks to pick up a used game. And if I know a game is coming out far enough ahead of time I'll do a pre-order and then put down another five or ten bucks each time I go in. That part's good for me cause I usually don't have the spare money for a new game right when it comes out; being able to walk in and basically put money towards a layaway is really handy.

Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Shocker

I usually don't shop there. But sometimes there are some good deals.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By Claude

I shop there, often.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By Dalai

As someone who doesn't sell my games immediately after purchase, I like Gamestop as much as I can like a corporation.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Milkman

GameStop is where I get all my games. I hate when people like this YouTube guy (who COMPLETELY ripped off Yahtzee) complain about GameStop. "All they care about this business! They don't care about the customers!"  Well, no shit. GameStop is a big bussiness. This is how big bussinesses work. What the hell do you expect? You can go ahead and buy your games from Wal-Mart, or Toys R Us or Best Buy because they don't do any of that stuff, right?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mike
Milkman said:
 You can go ahead and buy your games from Wal-Mart, or Toys R Us or Best Buy because they don't do any of that stuff, right?"
At least I don't get hounded to trade in my old games or repeatedly asked to preorder a bunch of games I don't even want every time I call or walk into a Best Buy.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By brukaoru

The only time I get a new game from GameStop is if they have an exclusive limited edition I want, otherwise I get new games elsewhere. I still go to GameStop to browse through used games.

Edit: Also, this parody video says it all:

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Milkman
MB said:
"Milkman said:
 You can go ahead and buy your games from Wal-Mart, or Toys R Us or Best Buy because they don't do any of that stuff, right?"
At least I don't get hounded to trade in my old games or repeatedly asked to preorder a bunch of games I don't even want every time I call or walk into a Best Buy."
Is it really that hard to say "No"? I've never had a problem with this. The employee asks if I want to pre-order any games, I say no and we're done. It's not like the guys going to ask you 10 times to pre-order something. I admit it can get a bit annoying but it's no need for everyone to shit their pants.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MB said:
"Milkman said:
At least I don't get hounded to trade in my old games or repeatedly asked to preorder a bunch of games I don't even want every time I call or walk into a Best Buy."
Agreed, man those bastards at Ebgames/gamestop go on and on about bullshit I don`t want like "Man if you just buy these 20$ headphones you'll save 5$ off your next purchase.
It`s really pointless.
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By wefwefasdf
twenty0ne said:
"They're ok - I like to pre-order games there, but they totally rip you off when you trade games in."
Me too. They have good midnight launched too.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By keyhunter

Sweet. Machinima with good voice acting.

Also I assume EB games is basically the same as Gamestop as I've had these problems with them for years, and they are fucking everywhere. 2 on the same block occasionally.
However, about 2 weeks ago I went into a EB games expecting the same shit as usual while trying to find excitetruck used for under 45 dollars (It was still 54) and I found FORZA 2, CONAN, and VIKING: Battle for Asgard for like 15 bucks each. So occasionally they don't completely rip everyone off.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mike
Milkman said:
Is it really that hard to say "No"? I've never had a problem with this. The employee asks if I want to pre-order any games, I say no and we're done. It's not like the guys going to ask you 10 times to pre-order something. I admit it can get a bit annoying but it's no need for everyone to shit their pants."
I don't think anyone mentioned shitting their pants...I just don't want to be bothered by some teenage know it all behind the counter trying to push preorders, tradeins or magazine subscriptions on me.  It's so much more convenient and less stressful to shop at a more professional retailer such as Best Buy, CIrcuit City, or even Target.  With all of those stores, I simply go in, get the game I want, and leave.  No one bothers me about anything, and that's exactly the way I like it. 
Pikapichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Pikapichu
MB said:
"Milkman said:
Agreed. And you don't have to worry about the game being previously opened and you can have some piece of mind knowing that stores like Best Buy have an awesome price guarantee.
HitNRun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HitNRun

If I want it now, I go to Best Buy. If I want a deal, I go to half.com.

Other than convenience (there's one GS on every block since they bought up EB, Software Etc, and Babbages), there's no reason to shop at Gamestop. They take most of the money from used-game buyers and used-game sellers on both ends, giving out crap deals in return, and robbing the actual game makers of any cut. You might as well pirate the games (seriously) as far as the makers are concerned. The Edge card is crap (10% off select used broken items? Be still my heart). I had to return half the used games I bought from them when I shopped there because they were broken. I had to listen to those pleas to buy used from the employees whose demeanor was exquisitely tailored to make me feel like either an idiot or a square for not buying used or pre-ordering. This is the other problem with Gamestop: the preorder (or, in English, "to pay a company for the right to have to pay them, and only them, later to get your game") and their deliberate short-stocking so they can tell you to preorder next time. Yeah, I'm sure you guys just ran out of room when all you sell is 8" x 5" x .5" game cases, that's why you only ordered 5 copies of the new smash hit. Contrast this with Best Buy, Circuit City, the supermarket, or any other store on the planet that sells games, where you walk in and the game is there.

Hmm, I think I squeezed a good bit into that paragraph. Would have looked better on a bullet-point, but I think those are a bit silly.

elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By elbow

BestBuy or Amazon.

A lot of the people who work at Gamestop/EB games are either Wii or 360 owners, or a combination.

I remember the last time I was there, I went to go pick up the Limited Edition for MGS4, and some of the store workers were chastising another fellow co-worker for liking MGS4, and hell even the PS3, with one of them telling a kid it was garbage.

My friend who was there blew his lid, and pretty much got fed up with it as well. He basically started belting out comments like, "WAAAHHHHH!!! Why don't you and you're "girlfriend" go play Mario Party on your Wii!!". In the end it was some pretty funny stuff, the guy was all red faced after.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DualReaver

I think it's a place that sells them video games.

bennyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By bennyboy

they sell games i buy games its a win win

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Absurd

I don't have a gamestop where I live, I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#34  Edited By Terrell

I just watched all the videos, and I completely agree...

Especially about the racism. I can't tell you how many times I've been to a Gamestop and get harrassed about preordering Madden, when the person in front of me didn't get asked to preorder it at all...

normajean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By normajean777

Well i only pre order games there and buy the occasional used game but usually i only buy new games there so the developer is still getting the money

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheHBK

I hate gamestop. They are jerks.  One of my most hated practices is when they have a game, but it happens to be the last one or something like that, so they have disc in the drawer and just get the box from the rack and pack it up.  Thats retarded.  They piss me off when they do that.  Then they get all defensive and try to assure you it is new.  Yeah, well i know they would not buy it like that and also, you cant return a game that is opened now can you?  Or one time i even saw a guy shrinkwrapping a game to sell it as new.  They are jerks who pester you about preordering when i could walk 1 minute down to the best buy at the mall and they have a crap load of copies of a new game.  They always have their prices up there.  I remember a time when DS games would be 40 bucks instead of the regular 30 or 35.
I love how they never put out deals on any good games and when the MSRP of a game goes down, they try to pass it off as if they are the ones who made the price drop.

bennyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By bennyboy

lol i swear 9 times out of 10 when i buy a game at gamestop i'm told "it's the last one in the store"

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By pause422

I heard bestbuy is also up there now, doing everything gamestop does, and better because t hey don't try to sell you strategy guides for a random ass game when you go to pick up something else or make a reserve. I hate their whole system where you're constantly asked if you have a game reserved if it isn't out yet, like they are just not gonna give it to you regardless if you didn't preordered it. I got sick of gamestop/EB years ago.

bennyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By bennyboy
pause422 said:
"I heard bestbuy is also up there now, doing everything gamestop does, and better because t hey don't try to sell you strategy guides for a random ass game when you go to pick up something else or make a reserve. I hate their whole system where you're constantly asked if you have a game reserved if it isn't out yet, like they are just not gonna give it to you regardless if you didn't preordered it. I got sick of gamestop/EB years ago."
wait so what exactly does best buy do that's as bad as gamestop
ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ZenaxPure

Ugh, I have quite a few bad experiences with Gamestop in the past but sometimes it is the only place without resorting to online sources to get things. I just make sure to check everything the second I buy it now to make sure I am getting what I actually paid money for (I bought about $130 worth of games one day and did not do this, only to find months later that one of them was a demo disc being sold in the actual game's case). 

Also, there is no way I would ever buy a used game from them unless it is some no name that is years old. I bought my Wii a year after launch and they were still selling used Twilight Princesses for $45...
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By pause422

They don't, read what I said, I said does what gamestop does and better, as in will sell you games..but don't give you the same bullshit because its best buy and not a game only retailer, I was stating that best buy is like 100 times better than gamestop is how I meant to put that.

bennyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By bennyboy
pause422 said:
"They don't, read what I said, I said does what gamestop does and better, as in will sell you games..but don't give you the same bullshit because its best buy and not a game only retailer, I was stating that best buy is like 100 times better than gamestop is how I meant to put that."
oh ok thanks for clarifying
SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
SpikeSpiegel said:
"twenty0ne said:
"They're ok - I like to pre-order games there, but they totally rip you off when you trade games in."
Me too. They have good midnight launched too."

You know who else has good midnight launches?  Walmart.  I bought GTA IV there and was in and out in about 10 minutes, which includes a few minutes of waiting until midnight rolled around.  Gamestop would have been a huge clusterfuck.  I know, because I've been down that road before.
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By duxup

It is a retail jobs, most retail jobs stink.

Anyway I don't shop there.  I buy most all of my games from Best Buy.

j_meyer_13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By j_meyer_13

So far, the only time I've shopped at a Gamestop was when I bought Rock Band last March.  And that was only cuz my bro had a $50 gift card for the mall it was in, and I was trading in a copy of CoD4 with it (it had a big scratch & one of the missions wouldn't load).

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By irishjohn

I can't stand Gamestop.  I'm just so sick of being asked if I want to preorder games that are coming out in months and months.  I know people who've worked there, and it's nothing against the employees, but just sell me the game and let me get out of there.  I shop at Bestbuy, and if I have games to trade in I go to my local Gamecrazy, where they are pretty cool.

AnTiPRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AnTiPRO

I worked at Game Stop for about 8 months and I do have to say that the creator of the video was mostly correct on the way Game Stop works. There were a few things here and there that I didn't agree on, but the video does do the truth justice.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Gamestop bites.  At first, I thought they had good deals as they had so many old Xbox games for $10 or less...but before I purchased I made a list of those games to compare to the BC list...turns out that ALL of those games were in the non-BC list!  Non-BC games should be cheaper than $10!!  All their other games were full price, didn't see a discount, & the stuff they had for display looked awfully grimey...imagine a nice game box cover overwhelmed with shiny finger prints.  I wanted to put my thumb on the register guy's forehead & leave a mark.

I think specialized gaming stores like Gamestop are doomed to extinction. High prices & crappy discounts..what good are they when compared to what you can get online from so many other, cheaper places?

Wuffi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Wuffi

its like 3 mins from my house so i always go to gamestop >< but i hate having to preorder everything and they are retarded and dont give good advice they just say oh my friend says that game sucks ect

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#50  Edited By Terrell

My fear is that many people, EVEN AFTER watching the video(s), will still shop at GameStop because (1) as the author of the video clearly indicates, most people are stupid. and (2) The things he are asking people to do would require that people actually CARE about other people, and even themselves...which people really don't do in this day and age.

But really, like he says, the reason GameStop is so big is because of the people who only buy Madden, Guitar Hero, and Guitar Hero: Madden edition.  And yeah, the racist remarks I've experienced in various stores still stands...it sucks!